[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Identifying the mystery chicken!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 0527161749b.jpg (517 KB, 1350x2048) Image search: [Google]
0527161749b.jpg
517 KB, 1350x2048
Our order of baby chicks came in today, and the hatchery we got them from sends a random chick of rare breed with every order. We have no idea what breed this little guy could be.

This is the site we ordered from: https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html
>>
File: 0527161750a.jpg (502 KB, 1350x2048) Image search: [Google]
0527161750a.jpg
502 KB, 1350x2048
The wing feathers are coming in, and they're a kind of cream color.
>>
Does a rare chicken taste better or worse?
>>
>>2132041
Don't know. Don't plan on eating the little thing unless it turns out to be a rooster. We already have four.
>>
>>2132043
Geeze, how many chickens do you have in total?
>>
>>2132045
22 and 2 ducks.
>>
>>2132046
All for the eggs?

What are the ducks for?
>>
>>2132049
lol The ducks were because ducks are awesome, though we have grown to love the eggs both of them lay.

Mostly. I'm a baker, so I use a ton of eggs. We have four roosters to help protect the flock. (Five if the mystery chick is a boy.)
>>
>>2132050
>I'm a baker
I envy whatever man you're with.

Do you have any pictures of where they live?
>>
>>2132052
Thank you, dear. :3 He has a love/hate relationship with my cooking. lol He hates me for helping him gain weight (unintentionally, I promise!) and for making him unable to enjoy his family's bland food.

Not really, no. 18 of them are still too young to be outside, so they stay in a 20 gallon long with pine shavings and a heat lamp. The other four chickens and the two ducks live in the backyard. They stay in the fence most of the time, but we don't really have a way to stop them from exploring.
>>
>>2132053
Do you live out in the country, or are you doing this in a suburban neighborhood?
>>
>>2132054
Far enough in the country that we can do as we please, but close enough I can get to things in about 10-30 minutes.
>>
>>2132056
When did you decide to start "collecting" all these chickens?
>>
>Rare/shiny/secret chicken with every order.

It's like you're buying yugioh cards or something.
>>
>>2132057
About three years ago. We wanted meat and fresh eggs, but then we found out how awesome they really are. Chickens can be really sweet. :3 One of my roosters follows me around the yard like a lost puppy.

>>2132062
ohmygod.gif You're right. xD I never thought about it that way.
>>
>>2132063
Haha, well I'm glad you enjoy them. Thanks for sharing with me. :)
>>
>>2132064
You're most welcome! Thank you for being so cordial. :D
>>
The perfect size for a nugget
>>
File: 1318480813392.gif (462 KB, 381x271) Image search: [Google]
1318480813392.gif
462 KB, 381x271
I don't know much bout chicken but I'm sure you can't tell the breed when they're chicks
once it grows old and the characteristics of the breed develope you will tell something
>>
>>2132064
>>2132066
Need more of this here. Good to read before sleep.

I love these fuckers, had a rooster when I was a kid and it was totally boss protecting his chickens from the dogs. Poor dogs didn't have a chance.

My rooster used to follow me around every time and greet me when I arrived from school just like a dog.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (205 KB, 1600x1128) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
205 KB, 1600x1128
>>2132063
>>2132066
>>2132056
>>2132053
>>2132050
>>2132043
>>2132036
>>2132034

The tiny afro it has is the key identifier.

As far as I can tell with my google imaging skills: That's a Polish Chicken/Hen.

Polish Chicks are born with those puffy, adorable, little afros, but when they get older they'll look like anything in pic related depending on how full their feathers are, how long and how heavy.

If they stay dense and puffy it'll remain an afro.
If they get long and heavy they'll have a more rock-star messy appearance.
>>
File: Chiekn.jpg (40 KB, 430x374) Image search: [Google]
Chiekn.jpg
40 KB, 430x374
I'm stealing your chick for meme purposes
>>
I want to collect rare chickens someday and just let them roam around my property. That is all I want. Life is suffering.
>>
>>2132256
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_sexing
Nah you definitely can - in fact chick sexing is a fairly staple job in the poultry industry. It usually involves checking wing feather length and throwing males straight into a meat grinder.
>>
>>2132034
maybe a Paduana
>>
>>2132344
>It usually involves checking wing feather length and throwing males straight into a meat grinder.
Do males not get raised for eating? Or is it just that the females make both eggs and meat, so they're more efficient?
>>
I love the idea of a random chick in every batch.

>>2132314
Kudos to you, anon. I guessed the same.

Honestly, though, OP will need to wait a few weeks. It's really hard to identify chicks.
>>
>>2132359
Roosters aren't much good for anything besides fighting.

But /an/ probably takes a dim view on anything fun like that. Bitches.
>>
Like other anons said, most likely a Polish which are neat, theu sre one of my favorite chickens. Usually skiddish but very pretty
>>
>>2132481

They roosters are great to look at, and do a decent job protecting the flock.
>>
>>2132644
Which is to say, "Not much."

Don't play word games with me. I'm a doctor.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.