[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/ I recently got a second birb (cockatiel) because my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dickhead.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dickhead.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
Hey /an/ I recently got a second birb (cockatiel) because my first one started feeling lonely and also got too clingy.

problem is that my first one is extremely protective of the new bird and won't even let me get close to the cage. he starts biting me as soon as I lift a finger but he's the sweetest bird when seperated and in another room...

what am I supposed to do now? the new one is in his cage just chillan and scanning the room, still afraid of my finger though.

Do I keep them apart? can anyone with experience give me some tips please?
>>
What is it that you are hoping to accomplish??
>>
>>2130499
I want to tame the new bird without the other one trying to bite my fingers off whenever I get close to it.

When I keep them apart he keeps calling for hours on end and the new one starts panicking for some reason.

I just want to know what's the best way to deal with this shit. I didn't expect my old cockatiel to go apeshit and protect the shit out of the new one... He literally leaps at my face and bites my nose.
>>
File: 1460296824694.jpg (127 KB, 629x731) Image search: [Google]
1460296824694.jpg
127 KB, 629x731
>mfw they keep calling each other after I seperate them.

pls help
>>
>>2131882
Maybe try separate cages close enough to each other that they can see each other, but you can physically interact with the new bird without the old bird attacking you?

For instance, bird Dickhead is in cage A. While bird Newbie is in cage B.

Open cage A and try to interact with Dickhead. If Dickhead misbehaves, close cage door on him and ignore the fuck out of him. (DO NOT "punish" HIM!) While ignoring Dickhead freaking out, go over and open cage B. Reward the fuck out of Newbie for behaving while Dickhead watches.

Eventually Dickhead will realize you are not trying to hurt Newbie, and will calm the fuck down.

Be patient though, very very patient. Newbie will most likely be freaked out by the noises Dickhead makes. But will learn to ignore Dickhead as you give Newbie tons of positive reinforcement.

If you are consistent and take your time, Dickhead will realize he will only be allowed out of his cage and spend time with Newbie when he stops attacking you.
>>
>>2130050
>>2131708
Your bond with the first bond will not be as strong and your new bird wont really care much for you beyond tolerance and whatever suits them.
>>
>>2131890
Thank you so much. I'm going to try this. You're a saint.
>>
>>2131912
Biggest bunch of bullshit I've read in a while. Do you got anything to back this up?
I've got 2 tiels, the second came into our home as a baby about 8 months after the first. They both are extremely bonded to me. Maybe the second even more then the first one.
>>
>>2132009
You didn't have any problem introducing your new bird or taming it?
>>
>>2132118
No problem whatsoever.
Did read that tiels tend to bond more with each other, which was also one of the reasons to keep them separated at first and giving them one on one time
>>
>>2131890
This guys advice is queen. Same technique I used, its also better to start birds off in separate cages
>>
>>2133381
It really is. I've been doing it since I read it and Dickhead is a lot calmer when I'm taming Newbie and Newbie sometimes climbs on my hand to eat out of it but stepping up on my finger when I don't have food is a no-go lol.

Dickhead still bites the shit out of me when Newbie is in the same room but I guess I just have to give it some time. I hope it'll go a LOT better in 2-3 weeks or so.

>>2131890
Thanks again for the solid advice.
>>
>>2133442
I'm glad I could help anon!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.