[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baby kitten won't wean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1334091913073.png (191 KB, 326x289) Image search: [Google]
1334091913073.png
191 KB, 326x289
Hey, I adopted an abandoned kitten, and she's doing good, but she won't eat anything but her KMR, and she won't eat that from a dish, just a little feeding syringe. I've tried giving her a dish of it and putting it on my finger so she sees what it is, and she has no interest. She only wants KMR, and only out of her bottle.

Also, weirdly, she wants no part of solid kitten food, but so far she has tried to eat normal cheese, cream cheese, and pita chips. Still can't get her interested in cat food at all, but she's all about cheese and pita chips.

Any ideas?
>>
Forgot to add, she's about 6-7 weeks old probably.
>>
>>2128066
>probably

kittens will suckle as long as the mother lets them and usually have to be forced off since they never stop

dont feed her for 24 hours and make no food available for her at that time. In the morning, offer her some good quality wet food (different flavors) soaked in KMR. If that doesnt work, repeat every few hours to see if she'll come around/ If that works, slowly reduce the amount of kmr over a week until its just food

If she wont eat no matter what, consult a vet. As a last resort, offer her a pinkie mouse
>>
>>2128064
Have you tried euthanizing it?
>>
>>2128144

The idea of not feeding her for a while did occur to me, but I wasn't sure if that would be detrimental to her health since she's so young.
>>
File: 1334091542449.jpg (84 KB, 600x485) Image search: [Google]
1334091542449.jpg
84 KB, 600x485
>>2128066
>>2128144
>>2128166
>>
>>2128394
she'll be fine, just make sure to leave water out

If you arent sure about her age though. she may b younger than you think. Have a vet look at her teeth for you
>>
>>2128527

She's definitely not younger than we think she is, we're just assuming she was born within a day or two before we found her, so she could be OLDER, but not more than a couple days younger.
>>
>>2128821

Also, just so nobody thinks I'm a shit, she was born to an outside cat mother in a litter of 3, one was dead when we found them, then a little less than a week later, a second one died, then a week after that the mother dragged this kitten under the porch and stopped paying attention to her. She was at the vet at about 3-4 weeks old and is healthy as far as anyone can tell.
>>
>>2128823

ok anon I have lots of experience with kitties.

firstly, have you tried to get the kitten to bond with its mother again? you could lock them both in a cat carrier

this is important because the kitten relies on the mother for food, cleaning, warmth.

now you mention food, what will happen if you get the kitten bonded with the mum, the mum will introduce it to the food, and take it from there.

its difficult raising a kitten without its mum, you have to do the same things, clean it, feed it, keep it warm
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.