[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to breed forward wild and strong guinea pigs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: serveimage(7).jpg (403 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(7).jpg
403 KB, 900x506
I want to create a subspecies of wild guinea pigs that could survive the harsh nature of northern Sweden (yes I'm serious)
>>
I would firstly breed the most suitable ones, most likely those long hair sods.
In a controlled environment that I could regulate and let them ease into the environment.
Next would be the food, I'm not sure they could survive on the native vegetation(?) but there's a lot of variations so maybe trying to adjust and see if later generations handles it better.
Another giant problem would be for the critters to survive the harsh autumns and winters, 60-70% of the year is dark and cold (at it's lowest the temperature can drop to -36 Celsius). Hibernation would be very optimal but they would mostly likely not have that ability.

Why do I want to do this? For science of course!!

But the question is where should I start?
>>
>release tons and tons of guinea pigs into the Swedish wild
>those with variations that allow them to survive will breed and pass on their genes
>???
>profit

Congrats, now you have a feral animal problem.
>>
Det finns ju redan i princip
https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjällämmel
>>
>>2126589

We have some predator, hawks, eagles, lynx and tons of wildcats that roam these woods so more rodents would benefit.
>>2126751
Well we haven't seen a lemming here since before WW2 so they probably went extinct.
>>
>>2126558
I hope you got a few hundred/thousand years to make a southamerican animal evolve to survive this far in the north
>>
>>2127180
Normally yes but their rodents with short generation span and quite adaptable.
>>
>>2126558
Have you got permission from the EU?
>>
This reminds me of that guy who lived on a small carribean island and was planning on releasing some kind of dangerous predator into the ecosytem

Cannot remember what it was though. I want to say it was some kind of cat.
>>
>>2127171
No stop don't try ecological a engineering you retarded swede
>>
>>2127205

Yes and No, Why would they be a big player on the matter? It's not New Zealand after all.

>>2127292

Why would I stop when I'm so close at finding out our own existence on this blue marble?
>>
After some researching 16 females and 8 males are needed, with the optimal subspecies being "Abyssinian" and "Texel"
>>
>>2127336
Maybe you should worry about your own people and country (if you catch my drift) before messing with wildlife.
>>
>>2127336
>It's not New Zealand after all
you what, cunt?
>>
>>2127470
New Zealand is overzealous about their retarded wildlife that's why
>>
>>2127506
>retarded wildlife
take that back
>>
>>2127507
Nein
>>
File: 1442735051059.jpg (42 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1442735051059.jpg
42 KB, 500x557
>>2127510
hooo boy that really steams my buns... if you don't take it back i'm gonna... im gonna...
>>
It appears the native fauna will be enough to nourish them, but I'm still pondering how they would survive the winter.
>>
>>2126558
Why do you want to introduce an invasive species again?
>>
>>2127341
>optimal subspecies being "Abyssinian" and "Texel"
those are breeds with fucked up fur, thoroughly unsuitable for life in the wild anywhere
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 1024x731) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 1024x731
Good luck.
Surviving in an urban environment would probably be easier for them.
>>
>>2127592
Science

>>2127594
Texel have thick fur while Abyssinian has long fur. But it's true they might not be able to maintain hygiene sense they were probably force bred to have that fur.

>>2127596
Agreed but that's not the case now
>>
Guinea pigs seem not capable enough to compete with the current rodents living in le Sweden

It will fail
>>
>>2127720
Probaly. Forgot to mention that the native rodent population here have been rapidly declining due to the big surplus of predators. Doesn't justify my planned actions doh.
>>
>>2126558
Wouldn't this count as animal cruelty? I mean, this gotta result in many of the Guinea pigs dying before you succeed.
>>
>>2129204
Yes and no I guess, I imagine they would probably be living better then their pet counterpart but as you said many would die.
>>
Casestudies of feral populations that persisted for some time:

Mongolian Gerbil - Meriones unguiculatus

Commonly kept as pets it is no surprise that small colonies of these animals have been present in the UK, the largest and most persistant was a colony on the Isle of Wight which lasted for some years in the 1980's. Currently there are no major colonies.

Golden Hamster - Mesocricetus auratus

Again kept as pets and many populations have come and gone, the largest was established in North London in the 1980's it persisted for some years and spread over a reasonable area. Currently there are no major colonies.
>>
Also note your feral guinea pigs might get eredicated because they are not true Swedes
>>
>>2129350
True Sweds or not they are rodents.
>>
File: 1463268169750.png (85 KB, 224x221) Image search: [Google]
1463268169750.png
85 KB, 224x221
>>2129346
>they would probably be living better then their pet counterpart

um
>>
>>2126558
not possible. you can't do it. I'm pretty sure they're from papa new guinea, for fucks sake. what you're suggesting is subjecting generations upon generations of guinea pigs to literal torture. I'm the first guy to forgive somebody for beating their dog, but you're crazy

>>2127552
heated enclosures is the only way. it'd have to be accessible from in and out to not impede the progress because they will venture out, but other wildlife will just invade and eradicate them
>>
>>2126558
>Guinea pigs in Sweden
>Guinea PIGS in SWEDEN
INTO THE WILD!
is this a clever ruse to drive out the muslim filth?

Godspeed Anon!
>>
You'd have to pick a different animal not completely unsuitable for the environment.
>>
File: serveimage(3).png (392 KB, 621x443) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(3).png
392 KB, 621x443
OP here. Invasive species like rats, lizard snakes etc are common around the world, Sweden and it's neighboring countries are no exception.
Sure most invasive species die out long before a stable population can be established, but 90% of those species tried to migrate without any human intervention/support.
This is not the case now for it must be essential for me to nurture them until they are adapted enough to be apart of this land.
>>
File: pig with shades.jpg (10 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
pig with shades.jpg
10 KB, 267x200
>>2126558

The closest you're gonna get are the very thick and long furred ones, but while they might survive outside through spring to early fall, they're not gonna survive winter.

A bigger problem is that guinea pigs are incredibly easy prey for all other animals in existence.

You'd have to find a way to breed survival instincts, natural weapons, and probably armored skins.
>>
>>2130845
All of it would be fixed if they became burrowers, not sure they are doh
>>
>>2126558
stop introducing organisms that are not native to the area, first the somalians and now this? you're really letting me down, sven
>>
...but why?
>>
>>2130881

Replace the niche the extinct lemmings left open, after nature shows literally depopulated the entire Scandanavian peninsula to make that tragically telegenic "lemming cliff" footage. It's either guinea pigs or rats, and the pigs actually produce enough meat and fur to be worth trapping.
>>
File: pop_pattern.jpg (18 KB, 409x256) Image search: [Google]
pop_pattern.jpg
18 KB, 409x256
>>2127969
Have you never taken any biology class ever? This is a cycle, predators eat a lot of prey, and reproduce faster than their food. Once there're no more food, predator population declines and that gives prey the chance to come back, then wash, rinse, repeat.
>>
>>2130883
>after nature shows literally depopulated the entire Scandanavian peninsula to make that tragically telegenic "lemming cliff" footage
no way did this happen, only instance i heard about was that disney doc from the 50s, but thats about it, did it happen a lot? besides, is this something you are doing for some nature organisation or the government or is it just a personal project? and why guineapigs? why not russian hamsters or just reintroducing the lemming?
>>
>>2130888
hitler trips is right, you are probably hurting the native rodents more than helping them
>>
>>2130888

>/an/
>knowing anything about animals beyond their ultra-precious outdoor cats and memeshrimp
>>
>>2130890
Op here. Lemmings became extinct here long before my parents were born.
A personal project and as >>2130883 said. It's either them or rats but I know by experience that rats would destroy the last remaining rodents here. Also worth trapping.
>>
>>2130957
but why not find some lemmings somewhere else and start a lemming farm and put them out into the wild again?
>>
>I want to breed a ton of ani.als so I can set them loose to die in the wild

What kind of retarded monster are you?
>>
>>2130960
Why that would be dull, science needs this!
>>
>>2129204
How would that be cruel? Nature did it, humans did it. I mean come on
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.