[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Domesticating Ocelots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: ocelot_03.jpg (159 KB, 710x408) Image search: [Google]
ocelot_03.jpg
159 KB, 710x408
Is it possible? They look like a blast to play with, even wild ones as seen here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oSh_zOaVFk
>>
>>2126168
no, it is not possible to domesticate them

they would be shitty pets, just like every other feline species
>>
>>2126168
What a little fox-eared asshole.
>>
In general, small exotic cats aren't TERRIBLE pets.

They do have their negatives though. They tend to be great with you, and awful with most other people, and it's hard to get them to not blast everything with piss.
>>
>>2126168
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwPaES_mP3E
>>
That cat is acting exactly like my bad black and white cat
>>
>>2126168
That's adorable
>>
File: Ocelot_Snake_Eater.jpg (20 KB, 600x319) Image search: [Google]
Ocelot_Snake_Eater.jpg
20 KB, 600x319
No,the mighty ocelot will not let himself be leashed
>>
>>2126168

Don't we already have the ocicat for that?
>>
>>2127186
The ocicat only looks like an ocelot and lacks any wild blood, it's not a hybrid or anything
>>
File: The patriot's favorite animal.jpg (494 KB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
The patriot's favorite animal.jpg
494 KB, 1500x1200
>>
>>2127192
Well, other than looks, what is the appeal of getting a wild animal for a pet?
>>
>>2126168
Just get a fucking domestic cat and leave these little bastards alone in the wild maybe?
>>
We already have cats and cat hybrids. I see no reason to domesticate another cat species. There is literally nothing else to offer than its cute or cool. Same with foxes. Why bother? Theyre cute and that's it. We already have so many pets to choose from, be them domesticated for thousands of years to things like sugar gliders. Just fucking pick something we already have, there is plenty that will even suit your 'exotic' needs.
>>
>>2126168
Just get a domestic cat. The only reason to get any other feline is literally wanting to show off how special you are by getting an exotic pet.
>>
Ocelots are one of the most vicious felines.
I read the report of a feline behavioralist about all the attacks and close calls he's had, and he said that while the tigers and lions were scary, the only time he genuinely thought he was going to die was by ocelot.
He said he punched/kicked the ocelot multiple times, trying to get away, and it merely fell to the ground and bounced back on him, always aiming for the neck area.
>>
File: 1109079807.jpg (405 KB, 1024x554) Image search: [Google]
1109079807.jpg
405 KB, 1024x554
>>2126168
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocicat

There you go OP. Have fun.
>>
>>2126168
In what weird circumstances will an actual WILD non-domestic cat, not see a human as a threat, let alone allow to be picked up without becoming fully aggressive?
>>
>>2127294
And if a highly energetic cat to play with is what he seeks, as he implies, then there are definitely some options.
>>
>>2126168
Now I want one too. So cute and playful.
>>
is it possible to domesticate a shark? so much b8 lately
>>
>>2127330
>In what weird circumstances
Being a kitten.

Being used to humans because it hangs around that trail.
>>
>>2126168
It seemed like she was panting a lot. Poor thing could probably use a drink of water.
>>
>>2126168
Somehow you've made me feel disappointed now.
>>
File: fuckincheetas.jpg (148 KB, 634x741) Image search: [Google]
fuckincheetas.jpg
148 KB, 634x741
The only wildcat that you could possibly domesticate would be a cheetah.

That's right a motherfuckin' cheetah, smallest of the wild cats and arguably the best looking.

Unfortunately like most wild animals inhabited here, they are illegal to own without a permit in 'Murica, which is impossible to get unless you are a government official or something.
>>
>>2128274
Kys
>>
>>2127179

hahahahah

YES.
>>
>>2128274
Seriously? The have the genes? That's crazy. I wonder if they could be bred for riding or something.
>>
>>2127294
Ocelots are absolutely more playful than housecats
They are more energetic and bigger.
Like a dog that is a cat
>>2128274
Tigers can be easily domesticated

But if you have the money for an exotic pet just go buy a Savannah cat
>>
My dad brought home a baby bobcat as i was a kid (i was a hick kid in a hick family)

It Literally became a indoor cat

Its just a cat thing
>>
>>2128641
>Easily domesticated
>Ignoring all the people who have been mauled

The fact is that even if domestic cats were larger, the amount of lethal or near lethal maulings would skyrocket. Probably beyond dog attacks.
>>
>>2128360
ok, but only on the cheek
>>
Who would win?
>>
>>2126168
tose """""""""""wild""""""""""""""""" animals are obviously trained and use to human contact
>>
>>2128208
Wildcats pant all the time.
>>
>>2128274
Not heard of this before, can you explain your logic?
>>
I always herd ocelots are pretty vicious. I think you probably want a serval if you want a wild cat.
>>
>>2128274
>Cheetah
>Smallest wild cat

What? They are the biggest cat the purrs, but far from the smallest wild cat. Theres still ocelots, servals, bobcats, and shit like that. Aren't jaguars a little smaller too?
>>
>>2129082
"cheetahs, unlike other big cats, are rather selective about the animals they hunt (such as small to medium-sized antelope species), and they kill their prey by tripping them and biting the neck. Cheetahs, which weigh around 100 pounds, do not possess the muscular bulk of other big cats and have smaller heads. They know their place in the predator hierarchy and do not 'bite off more than they can chew'. They never want to attack humans, unlike some dogs."

https://pethelpful.com/exotic-pets/about-pet-cheetahs
>>
>>2128734
>Getting mauled by a correctly trained tiger
Anon that is nearly impossible, they arent that dumb if you train them to understand the hierarchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZL9PswXL4
Tigers are aware of their shit
>>
Domestication is not the process of taking an animal and trying to housebreak it. It is the process of breeding animals to be naturally prone to being housebroken and docile towards humans. If you take a wild animal like an ocelot and try to tame it, it may be friendly with you and not aggressive to other humans, but it will probably still mess up your house and piss everywhere.

Domestication takes generations, don't bother trying to do it.
>>
>>2129805
Especially not with zebras amirite
>>
>>2129805
>It is the process of breeding animals to be naturally prone to being housebroken
The vast majority of domestic animals would piss and shit all over your house just as much as an ocelot, if not moreso.
>>
you have to give it a beret
>>
They should be
>>
>>2127297
what? just swipe it with a machete, and if you tell me the idiot was dicking around the jungle without a machete, then he deserves to have his shit pushed in by a jumped up housecat
>>
Get rich and start domesticating ocelots like those people in Russia do with foxes
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.