[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We just adopted a 3 month old male kitten and we already have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cat.jpg (607 KB, 2013x2952) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
607 KB, 2013x2952
We just adopted a 3 month old male kitten and we already have a 3 year old female cat. Do you guys have any tips to make them best friends? The kitten is currently in my sister's room and he already seems extremely comfortable, smelling us, meowing and exploring the whole room. They didn't directly meet each other but my cat was hissing at him a little under the door but she didn't try to attack him from under the door or anything. Also, he got sterilized just yesterday.

What would be the next step?
>>
>>2125748
>We just adopted a 3 month old male kitten

I'm sorry for your loss. Better luck next round.
>>
>>2125767
Please stop being a faggot and explain, thanks.
>>
>>2125748
Cats hate just about everyone and everything. If the grown bitch doesn't like him, she never will.
>>
The problem is that you have a cat. None of the other details matter. I recommend calling around and finding a shelter that accepts unwanted animals with no strings attached. Your life will be much improved ... or better yet, trade it for a dog.
>>
Don't let them meet face to face until hissy pants gets used to the smell.
Put hissy pants in the kitten's space and kitten in hissy pants' space. Again, for smell.
Feed them together.
Understand that sometimes cats merely tolerate each other and don't become best friends.
Hug all cats until they squiiiirm.
>>
Give them at least two weeks of getting used to each others smells before you try to let them meet face to face, and that's ONLY if neither of them are on edge any longer.

So in this case, the female should be fine when she smells the kitten and not get irritated or weirded out, then you can try to let them see each other from across a room. You want to be there to intervene incase a fight breaks out.

Also, don't really let the kitten play with the older cat for some time. You don't want to irritate her. And if she starts only coming out at certain hours, or sticking to one room, move the kitten to another room for a couple of days/week until she feels like she can come out again.

Wear the kitten out before you let them interact so that his energy levels aren't crazy and he doesn't drive the female nuts trying to get away from him.
>>
The first time they meet have the kitten in a cage/carrier. Maybe feed your other cat treats while this happens.
>>
>>2125748
We just adopted a kitten and we have a 13 year old cat. (mind you the 13 year old is extremely laid back) But make sure to let them get used to eachothers smells for a week at least if your other cat hasn't been around other cats at all.

If you have a blanket that the kitten slept on that has his smell all over it thats a good way to get your other cat used to its scent so when they DO meet face to face it won't be so shocking. Thats the main starting point.

Past that as others have said if they are more used to eachother later on feed em together, hold the kitten and then rub all over your older cat ... mix them smells up!!.

>>2125798
As this guy said sometimes they will merely tolerate eachother. Don't be discouraged if thats what ends up happening. Our new kitten and our big boy are totally ok with eachother, but damn the kitten is SO energetic he terrorizes my boy lol. Finally he just body slams him and gives him non-violent bites and then gives up. Also, your kitten is friggin adorable. Grats on the adoption :) Kittens/cats are such a joy!
>>
>>2125776
>I'm a retard please kill me
>>
Your female is gonna kill the male

No, im not joking
>>
>>2125917
You might want to stop giving advice on animals if you aren't joking.
>>
>>2125925
Im a cat professer
>>
>>2125905

He's not wrong. A cat might change from "kill on sight" to "cautiously avoid" ... but if a cat will never in 2 decades go from "kill on sight" to "cuddle buddies." The will de-escalate the situation at best.
>>
You need to accept that the most probable scenario for your two cats is mutual toleration. They probably will never be buddies. Accept it and just be the referee.
>>
Don't force it. Keep them separate for a while until the hissing under doors dies down. Once he's over his surgery, try carrying the kitten into a room the adult cat uses, but don't chase her around or shove the kitten in her face to introduce them, just sit quietly holding him and let her glare, hiss and scope him out from a safe distance. Give her time to get used to his presence when he's there, but without him running around bothering her and being annoying as shit, as kittens often are. If she doesn't particularly like him, but stops attacking him, that's fine too, don't keep trying to make them like each other if it's not happening naturally.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.