[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reptile & Amphibian General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79
File: tuatara2[1].jpg (301 KB, 3377x2533) Image search: [Google]
tuatara2[1].jpg
301 KB, 3377x2533
We classic name again.

Not too many creatures can claim to be “one of a kind,” but that’s a boast the tuatara can make. In fact, the tuatara is one of the most unique animals in the world. Although it looks like a lizard, it really is quite different. Found in New Zealand only, the tuatara’s closest relatives are an extinct group of reptiles around at the time of the dinosaurs. This is why some scientists refer to tuataras as “living fossils.”

Things to keep in mind:

>sand a shit
>tile a best
>heat rocks cook the reptile
>leopard geckos don't need lights
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps prior to herp arrival
>Allow reptile time to settle in
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money

News:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160513111757.htm

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Couple-Gets-Six-Months-for-Smuggling-Sea-Turtle-Eggs-into-California-trending/

http://www.livescience.com/54676-ancient-herbivorous-hammerhead-reptile.html

http://www.livescience.com/54593-do-australian-dragons-dream.html

http://www.livescience.com/54378-worlds-longest-snake-dies.html

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/04/28/seven-new-animal-species-discovered-in-bolivia.html

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/04/01/ancient-snakes-colors-revealed-through-10-million-year-old-fossil.html
>>
Forgot to include link to Last Thread. >>2114905
>>
Boo! /herp/ forever!
>>
File: Sphenodon_punctatus_5.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sphenodon_punctatus_5.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
Henry is currently 119 years old.
>>
>>2121471
Henry is a pretty awesome guy
>>
If tuataras were common and in the pet trade would you buy one?
>>
>>2121481
Fuck yes

>>2121471
Does anybody here know that taxonomic reason why Tuataras are different than lizards?
>>
>>2121461
>http://www.livescience.com/54593-do-australian-dragons-dream.html
thats interesting
If they exhibit REM that means they're at the very least processing all the information they took in during the day right?
I wonder if all lizards do this or just the certain kinds we know to have "personality" (beardies, tegus, varanids, iguanas)
>>
>>2121481

You betcha. They're not terribly large and care requirements as I understand them are not anything challenging.
>>
File: 1462494801686.png (262 KB, 446x456) Image search: [Google]
1462494801686.png
262 KB, 446x456
>I was using the Thermometer/Hygrometer that came with the enclosure I purchased for my bearded dragon
>It always told me the humidity was at like 35-45 and I constantly worried about it even though my dehumidifier said my room was at 25 constantly
>I recently bought a digital hygrometer and my tank's humidity is actually 23 and most likely always was
>Tfw I'm retarded and wasn't fucking up like I thought I was

It should be illegal to sell those pieces of shit if they don't even WORK RIGHT FUCK
>>
I need pictures of cute sneks
>>
>>2121650
What about cute lizzerds instead?
>>
>>2121651
Just as good
>>
File: 0505161523c.jpg (1 MB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
0505161523c.jpg
1 MB, 2240x1344
>>2121652
>>
>>2121656
Cute lizzerd
>>
File: IMG_20160418_144043.jpg (48 KB, 583x394) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160418_144043.jpg
48 KB, 583x394
>gecker shit with good discount prices
>saved almost $50
>"no international shipping"
>>
>>2121495
Males lack well developed hemipenes
>>
File: image.jpg (244 KB, 2048x1647) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244 KB, 2048x1647
Name the species
>>
>>2121735
corn snake
>>
File: yEFWRWxntZbl.jpg (54 KB, 594x375) Image search: [Google]
yEFWRWxntZbl.jpg
54 KB, 594x375
>>2121735
Black mamba
>>
>>2121669

Same deal here in Canada. The US has a some good reptile supply shops (dry goods i mean, not live animals) with way better prices on stuff than I can find here. Try to order from them, see the shipping estimate, lol fuck off. It is slowly improving though. Canadian business owners are starting to see there is a pretty healthy reptile keeping market in this country with only a couple online shops catering to it at the moment.

on that note I am going to shill hard for reptilesrus.ca in Canada right now. Best in the country for arboreal gecko supplies.
>>
>>2121736
>>2121738
What
>>
>>2121735
Arbok.
>>
>>2121735
Yellow Recluse
>>
>>2121735
SNEK
>>
Almost stepped on a baby alligator lizard today out in the yard. Stupid little shit was just sun bathing and didn't even flinch even though I came within inches of crushing his head.

So, I bend over, take a look at him. He looks fine, is breathing, blinking and all that good shit. He isn't running away though which I thought was interesting, so I reached down real slowly and kind of scooped him up in my hand.

At this point he starts acting a little nervous but still not running away or trying to jump off. Starts doing that tongue flicking thing when they are curious.

Notice he's got some fleas and ticks attached to him, so I grip him a bit gently and start pulling them off. Course, he doesn't like that and squirms a bit, so I finish and put him back on the ground. He runs behind a potted plant and I sit and finish my coffee.

Ten minutes later I get up to go back inside and I almost step on the fucker AGAIN. I know it's the same one because when I pick him up again, he's still got a little bloody mark from one of the ticks I pulled off.

So, I'm thinking 'alright, I either have found a retarded lizard, or it's got a death wish right out of the womb'.

Welp, I put him on my shoulder, carry him inside, sit him on my kitchen table and just go about my business thinking the noise and movement will scare some sense back into him and he'll run around or jump down or something.

Nope.

This little fucker just watches me everywhere I go, tongue flicking, head turning as I walk. He only moves away from me if I move too fast.

So now I have him in a bucket with a warm water bottle, shallow dish of water, grass, some rolly pollies and a few chunks of wood with some termites.

Gonna go looking for a tank tomorrow and let him live in my house till he gets sick of me I guess.

He ate some termites earlier and drank some water. I mean if he's sick, I sure as hell can't tell. Come paycheck I'll get a good thermostat and light set up going for him and some vitamin/calcium dust.
>>
>>2121791
Pics
sounds cute af
>>
>>2121794
He's (she?) is hiding under the water bottle right now, but I'll take some tomorrow and post for sure. I know he didn't run away, but that doesn't mean he might not be stressed either. I'll let him get settled in tonight.

If he's acting any different tomorrow, I'll just take some quick pics and let him outside.
>>
File: lazy argonian.jpg (4 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
lazy argonian.jpg
4 MB, 3200x2368
>>2121471
He's such a fucking lazy shit

Good luck seeing him move when you visit
>>
>>2121834
He's over a hundred years old, he has the fucking right to be lazy.
>>
File: bueno.jpg (153 KB, 832x608) Image search: [Google]
bueno.jpg
153 KB, 832x608
>>2121837
For all we know, he could be considered middle-aged.

The babies are much more active but are rarely put in the small tank display
>>
File: May thirteenth 2016002.jpg (211 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
May thirteenth 2016002.jpg
211 KB, 800x450
Here's Andy Barkley my Argus V.p.horni
>>
>>2121850
Cute as fuck anon.

I really want some type of small-ish monitor lizard someday.

And by small, I just mean one that's not going to get longer than me. 5 or less feet would be ideal.

Get a little harness, take it in the yard. Rub the sides of it's face till it does that adorable thing lizards do and closes it's eyes.
>>
File: May thirteenth 2016001.jpg (125 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
May thirteenth 2016001.jpg
125 KB, 800x450
>>2121858
Once he is at his full size we will be walking around the park and trail behind my apartment. People will be annoying at best, so I will go in an area most people don't go. I know someone will freak out, but too bad. I'm more afraid of attack dogs like pit bulls and German Shepards. I live in a really large apartment in norther California, so I live comfortably with his huge enclosure.
>>
>>2121860
Dude that's awesome! I live in northern Cali too, actually came in here to post this:
>>2121791

My friend/roommate really wanted a pet and was thinking of a gecko, but I'm thinking I might set him up with this little guy to start and help him take care of it, see if he actually wants a reptile, you know? I figure if this little guy stays chill, and then in a month or two my roomy is over the 'pet herp' phase, I'll just try to release it a little farther out in the yard.
>>
File: Snapchat-2365792462970115942.jpg (739 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2365792462970115942.jpg
739 KB, 1440x2560
Halp,
I got a new snake the other day, Tuesday it was, and I was told she ate last Thursday, and again I was told shes feeding on live anoles. Ive done research and live anoles is a thing with baby boas of this sort (dominican red mountain boa) . So yesterday morning I purchased an anole and threw it in her tank, and minutes after my snek peeked just her head out of her hide and watched the anole for maybe a matter of five minutes give or take, then went back in to hiding. Ive only handled the snake the morning I got her, and she explored for a bit when i first introduced her and has been in hiding ever since. I understand she just got shipped across the country and placed somewhere new so shes probably stressed, but is it normal for her to hide all day everyday? I figured id catch her under the light or getting something to drink. Its only been 3 days since i got her and almost 2 since the anoles been in her tank. I guess i just assumed shed be more interested, ive never had a snake that didnt eat right away. How long is normal when it comes to getting comfortable in a new home? How long should i wait for her to eat or expect her to go without eating? What should i do if she dont? And when? Am i just wiggin out for no reason?

Yes i just copied and pasted my thread that failed.
>>
>>2121867
>trying to feed her after only 3 days
cmon man
do not touch the snake or interact with it in any way more than absolutely necessary for at least one week
>>
>>2121741
Holy shit
Thank you. I'm a Canada and I needed something like this. The site I checked was petmountain and I tried this one store from my province but their shit was overpriced
>>
>>2121870
I havent, and should i take the anole out then?
>>
>>2121797
It may not be sick, I once encountered (and later kept) a common anole that was the same way. And normally those guys are skittish as hell even the pet store ones. He was completely healthy just completely calm and chill unlike 99.99% of his species. Good pet, and I'll be waiting on pics of your new buddy too.
>>
File: 1424467372448.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1424467372448.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
I wanna get my leo a bigger terrarium. The problem is, I can't seem to find one.

She's been in a 10 gallon forever, and I wanna give her a bigger place to roam around in.

But I cannot find any 20 gallon long tanks. No stores seem to carry them, only 10 gallons. There's only one petshop still around, and it only has 10 gallons and those super expensive ones with the doors with locks that aren't that much bigger than a 10 gallon.

Is there some online store that specializes in tanks/terrariums that I'm just not aware of? At this point I'm just considering buying some plexiglass and trying to macgyver something up.
>>
>>2121873
i would, it seems like they just aren't interested in eating yet.
I"d give her another week before you try to offer it again
>>
>>2121877
craigslist
ask the store to order one in for you
give up and buy a pvc one instead
>>
>>2121879
Im just wondering if the anole being in there could possibly stress her out, because their harmless so i could just leave it til shes ready. the guy i bought her from said he usually left it overnight and it was gone, sometimes right away, other times 2-3 days. Ill remove it anyway, but what about her staying in her hide? Just settling? She seemed completely tame when i unboxed her, barely flinched at quick movements or seemed skiddish at all. I guess ill just have to figure her out, i havent had much experience with baby snakes or ones that arent avid feeders.
>>
>>2121872

You bet. Northern gecko is also pretty good but prices aren't the best on that one, at least on some items.
>>
>>2121884
The anole moving around in the cage will stress it out, however "harmless" it is. I second the other anon's advice, remove the anole and offer again 7 days after the removal.

DRMB aren't the most established species, they aren't going to be like other common species. Young snakes can be very delicate and if you stress it out too much it could become ill or die. I would imagine a species so close to its wild roots would be even more so delicate.
>>
>>2121877
why don't you build one yourself?

I built most of my Terrariums at home out of wood and glass

Easy to do, hold temp. well and you can build them exactly as you want to.
Also, the animals inside feel more secure
>>
my whites tree frog has been a little weird lately, he's eating but he's only eaten 2-3 mealworms in the past say 2 days and doesnt seem very interested in crickets. Should I be worried? I have him housed with another whites who will eat just about anything you put in front of him every day.
>>
>>2121943
When i said 2-3 mealworms in the past 2 days i meant he's had 2-3 mealworms for both of those days
>>
>>2121926
Share instructions
>>
>>2122012
Not that anon but why don't you draw it in autocad or something see how it looks a then make it? That's what I did.
>>
>>2122024
Never used AutoCAD before, or designed and built something. Downloading now, wish me luck!

Any recommendations for things like wood type, where to cheaply source materials, any other misc. tips?
>>
>>2122029
Well if you are building just 20 gallon then buy some plywood from local hardware store I guess. I don't think you will need any reinforcing frames or anything at this size so draw box without one side and slap sliding doors on to it and you are good to go. It's not rocket science.
>>
File: 2016-05-14 15.21.45.jpg (1 MB, 3694x1928) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-14 15.21.45.jpg
1 MB, 3694x1928
>>2122012
Here is a picture of one of my Terrariums I'm currently working at

It's done ib terms of the tank itself, but not inside, which is why it currently doesn't look like much

but you can see:
5 sides out of OSB wood, which is very easy to do

the front side is more complicated, if you want I can post pictures of the front side's details and try to explain it a bit

Where I'm from, you can even buy these kind of tanks as a "do it yourself kit", but I only bought one, and built the rest myself, after I saw, how they were put together

also, can someone of you help me with decorating this tank?
I should be a bigger enclosure for my BP, but I can't think of anything really
So it currently looks a bit like shit as you can see
and yes, I know it's a bit high for a BP..
>>
File: 2016-05-14 15.38.27.jpg (769 KB, 2065x1884) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-14 15.38.27.jpg
769 KB, 2065x1884
>>2122054
oh, I forgot:
The ventilation areas on the shown tank are a bit hard to do, but I wanted to try something new.

An easier way to make them would be this
Buy a few of thes "ventilation things" and make holes on eiiter side of the tank, one side near the top, one on the other side near the bottom.
Make the hole so big, that the ventilation things fit perfectly in it

done

I mostly have two ventilation holes on either side, but it depends on the species you want to keep, obviously

another benefit of using wood is, that you can paint the outside with whaterver you want
>>
>>2122057
fucking typos.. sorry
>>
>>2122029

Melamine is the easiest material to use as you do not need to seal it. Just silicone the joints to prevent leakage in the event of spilled water dish. For front door/glass, have hardware store cut for you two panes of 1/4" clear acrylic (plexiglass).

However, since we're just talking about a 20g long size thing, any pet store can order you in one of those if they don't have one in stock. No shipping charge.
>>
That yellow bump on the roof of my bearded dragon's mouth is the Jacobson Organ right? It looks gross
>>
>>2121874
Still haven't taken pics yet, but I will later this evening. We had a guest and the dog starting barking when they first came up, so he ran under his rock and hasn't come out yet. Sucks cause I was gonna get a pic in his new little set up.

Update though, I got a small round critter keeper, put some soft dirt and a piece of flatrock from outside. Used a spoon/dish thing to plant some grass and make it easier to move later. Through in some rolly pollies and wetted the dirt just a bit so it's moist. There's a very small dish of water that I only filled halfway and it's shallow, and he has a couple rocks stacked that he can hide under.

I used a tub earlier to feed him while I was setting that up (should have got pics then, crap), and I put that near our heater vent so he could go to the warm side if he needed it. It chilled that way for a good hour or more till je moved to the cool side and that's when I decided it would be a good time to put him in the critter keeper. I'll probably keep doing this for a bit till my roomy and I can get a glass tank and proper setup.

The cares sheets said they are one of the few types of lizards that actually can still function in more cool/moist areas, so I think he'll be alright for a bit. I'll let him have the heat for a while when he gets fed, and just keep half his dirt a bit moist.
>>
>>2122365

I don't think so. The jacobson's organ is located above the roof of the mouth. There is a small pair of ducts that you can see in the mouth that leads up to it.
>>
File: CAM00140.jpg (367 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00140.jpg
367 KB, 2048x1536
>>2122372
He's sleeping otherwise I would get some up close pics, but this is the thing
>>
File: 1457206855884.jpg (20 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1457206855884.jpg
20 KB, 384x384
Just got back from norcal reptile expo.
Just picked up my first herp, a sand boa. It seems OK after the motorcycle ride. Currently she's dug under her substrate and is doing pretty good. She should be a good snek, she was very curious and friendly about handling when I was taking her out of her container.
>>
>>2122435

Nice! Please post pics when you get a chance.

For new snek, make sure to wait about seven days before attempting to feed.
>>
>>2122439
Will do anon, supposedly they only eat twice a week and it was fed a week ago so I'll have to wait anyway.
>>
Is my bearded dragon especially stupid or am I overthinking this?

She will climb to the point directly under her heatlamp and stay there all day with her mouth wide fucking open. There are cooler parts in the tank for her to go to but instead she just cooks herself.

Is she ok? Is this going to hurt her at all? If shes over heated why doesn't she fucking go somewhere else? I have a few different places she could go. I have a partial shade with a light plant, partial shade from her log, top of log is closest to the lamp, open flat ground, and a open "cave" type thing made from slate rock I use for my aquariums as well(heavy stuff, nestled together tightly so no way it could collapse)
>>
File: 0514162011.jpg (792 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
0514162011.jpg
792 KB, 2240x1344
Lizard chan!
>>
>>2122456
How warm is the hot side of her enclosure? What kind of bulbs are you using?
>>
>>2122047
>>2122067
Thanks for the recommendations, I'm actually looking to build something for my BD so it will be much bigger than 20 gal
>>
>>2122054
Thanks for posting pics, now that I see it it doesn't look that complicated. If you could, I would love to see more pictures of the front side. Just want to make sure I'm not going to miss anything
>>
>>2122498
the hot side of the enclosure is around 95ish and the cool side is 77~ at the moment.

The thing is though she gets right under the heat lamp where it's considerably hotter. I tried to pull it further away but the temps drop too much.

It's just your standard reptile heat lamp. I just don't understand why she tries her fucking hardest to get as close as possible to it.

I'll find another thermometer to take the temperature closer to the light and post it when I do.
>>
File: IMG_20160514_130856.jpg (3 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_130856.jpg
3 MB, 1944x2592
Let's talk turtles. I save a shitload of turtles from the road every year and yesterday I grabbed this guy, an Eastern box turtle and the only turtle in the area I can't chuck in a pond. According to my research, they have a homing instinct and they'll try to get home if you relocate them, and if I let him loose where I picked him up, he's going to get hit anyway. So I guess I have a pet now. I can give him a fairly large outside enclosure. Thinking of putting together a brick barrier, 10x10 or so with some plants and a shallow pond. Anyone have any experience with these? Also will he eat mosquito larvae or do I need to throw some goldfish in there?

Pic related, his name is Archer.
>>
>>2122542
I'm not an expert on bearded dragon's, but maybe get a stronger light, raise it up, and try to get the warm side up to 100-102?

Or maybe it's trying to get some rays like it would from the sun?
>>
>>2122588
I'm not an expert either as I kinda inherited the little girl.

I love her, shes adorable, but I really wonder if shes a bit retarded at times.
>>
>>2122590
Lol

Maybe skim through some caresheets again if you haven't already. They are actually not as easy of a pet as the pet industry would like you to believe
>>
>>2122567
mate, that turtle has made it to well over several years old without getting hit in that area. It's home area is larger than you think and it doesn't cross the road every day.
>>
>>2122432
Ok guys, google is failing me with either info on adults, or outdated info. I also can't get to the library cause it's the weekend.

What can I feed a baby alligator lizard besides just termites? And is there something I could order online? I had a couple babies when I was a teen and made the horrible mistake of trying to give them crickets from the petshop, and they killed my babies. I watched one spray some black liquid out of it's ass and the lizard fell over seizing then died.

I don't want to make that unknown mistake with some other bugs.

Also, what is the name of that calcium/vitamin dust you guys use, and would you recommend it for this situation?
>>
>>2122622
small crickets dubai roaches or mealworms should work
>>
>>2122628
Could I order the roaches in northern Cali? I'm a little hesitant on the crickets, but I was reading about pinhead crickets? My petshop doesn't have those, just some giant mealworms and big crickets.
>>
>>2122590

Yeah you can up that basking spot temp to 100-105. This will also correct your cool side temp up closer to where it should be ~85.
>>
>>2122513
no Problem, should I post in this tread or open a new one?
Because I think the pics and text will pretty much get lost in this thread

anyway, I'm going to pretype this and post it later today with pics
>>
I want to make my own gecko hide. What would be some ideal materials?
>>
>>2122670
A small plastic tote you can get at the hardware store, or a tupperware/plastic food box of your choice. Cut a hole of appropriate size, take hot spoon to sharp edges, and paint appropriate color.
>>
File: snek.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
I need help with an ID.

Found in North Georgia.

At a distance thought it was an eastern kingsnake. When I picked it up I was thinking ratsnake, but I can't find any type that matches this pattern. the checkered belly throws me more.
>>
>>2122673
Yep. Just make sure to select one that is opaque. The less light it lets in the better.

You can also do the same thing with plastic plant saucers. Plant saucers are the dish shaped things you put planter pots on to allow drainage. These are great as they have only about an inch-inch and a half of height when placed upside down. Leos are more fond of small tight spaces for hiding.
>>
>>2122677
Honestly I would guess its a water snake? They do tend to have dark and patterned bellies.

I will say I am not familiar with a lot of the eastern snakes, however.
>>
>>2122567
Put him back where you found him. He's not going to live long in the care of someone who'll feed him diseased feeder fish and mosquito larvae.
>>
>walking outside house today
>pass by a section of my grandpas roses
>at least a dozen little toadlets come pouring out from under this little slab of sheet rock laying there
it was like a little toady clown car, they just kept coming
>>
>>2122632
I would assume yes. I live in norcal too and I've seen stores sell dubia and hissing cockroaches. Might be able to track some if you ask a pet store which feeders are in the back.
>>
>>2122701
Ah, alrighty. I'll start digging around online and maybe the feedstore.
>>
>>2122443
They should eat once a week. It takes snakes 7-18 days to digest their meal. Feeding any more often than 7 days puts strain on their metabolisms. They need time to digest and for their organs to return to normal.

>>2122677
Black ratsnake, juvenile.
>>
File: EDWARDO.jpg (147 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
EDWARDO.jpg
147 KB, 960x720
this is my male axolotl
im trying to find him a female
if any one in Massachusetts has a female they dont want
>>
If I want to make natural leopard gecko setup do I have other choice of substrate then tiles? I'm afraid tiles will be slippery...
>>
>>2122720
well tiles aren't natural in the first place
get some slate rock or some river rock or something
>>
File: sambava.jpg (50 KB, 536x402) Image search: [Google]
sambava.jpg
50 KB, 536x402
Anyone have a Chameleon here? I hear they are super hard to care for
>>
File: exoterrasandmat.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
exoterrasandmat.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>2122720
They make rubber "sand mats" that look like natural desert but are solid and easily cleanable mats.

Pic Related
>>
>>2122741
not so much hard as it is a pain in the ass
>need high humidity
>also need high airflow
>get stressed easily
>won't drink from a water bowl so they need a dripper or something
I used to think they wouldn't eat dead bugs, but the ones in our store pick the freezedried mealworms out of their bowl just fine
>>
>>2122743
Ive always wanted a Panther chameleon but im not too experienced with reptiles and its probably too much for me. Ill start with something easier, how hard are ball pythons?
>>
File: tEQ9gBA.jpg (42 KB, 638x356) Image search: [Google]
tEQ9gBA.jpg
42 KB, 638x356
>>2122745
EZPZ
>>
>>2122745
aside from keeping the humidity in the right zone which varies in difficulty based on the type of tank you have and where you live, they're pretty low maintenance

If you do decide on a ball python, you should know they're called "living pet rocks" for a reason.
and that if it decides to stop eating on you, don't freak out about it. Its a pretty common occurrence with them.

most other snakes are just as easy to take care of too, so if you want something more active and/or diurnal look into corn or king snakes
>>
File: maxresdefault (16).jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (16).jpg
219 KB, 1920x1080
>>2122756
>>2122745
King snakes are sweet
>>
File: IMG_20160511_132443950_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_132443950_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>2121461
I'm sure this gives me away as being a dunce or something, but I've recently been traveling in Costa Rica and I've been delighted by the sheer quantity and variety of lizards just fucking around. Instead of squirrels they have iguanas and basilisks. Instead of large bugs coming into my room to get out of the rain it's a multitude of smaller lizards (geckos, some look a bit skinkish). A blast for any help lover. I really recommend Manuel Antonio, it's up to its eyeballs in iguanas.

Sorry about pic quality, didn't want to get too close as our hotel was right off the national park and anything could just hop down and away (and frequently did) when startled.
>>
sup /herp/, I have a question for you guys. I have been thinking about getting a ball python and researching them for some time now, and will probably start setting up my future snek's habitat soon. My question is, do they smell? It will be kept in my (small) bedroom, and I just want to make sure before I commit that it isn't going to stink up the place. Thanks, anons
>>
>>2122771
nice dude, Costa Rica is definitely on my list of places to herp at. Mexico would be really cool too but thats no good anymore.
>>
File: IMG_20160514_170314057_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_170314057_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>2122777
CR is toit man, they have conures here instead of pigeons.
>>
if you can afford to be in costa rica you can afford something that takes better pictures than that, jedsus chrost
>>
>>2122693

I'm familiar with every watersnake in the area, this is not one.

>>2122716
I guess I'll have to settle for that. It's frustrating not finding an acceptable match
>>
File: IMG_20160511_140143309_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_140143309_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>2122805
Dude, flying to CR is super cheap. A good camera and a waterproof bag for it arnt so cheap. Plus the puddle-jumper I rode in on limited me to 10lbs of luggage for my 11 day trip. Every little bit matters. Plus these pics were taken from like 100ft away. Up close my phone's camera works fine.
>>
>>2122774

Keep tank clean and there will be no odor.
>>
>>2122598
>>2122694
I don't understand this. I'm not >>2122567 but a turtle can be kept as pet, on this board there's people with all different kind of reptiles as pets, even insects or fucking clams.
The only reason I can find for you to say it is that you are suggesting the guy to leave the "feral" turtle alone and adopt one from a breeder.
To me there's very little difference, in both cases they are "wild animals."
>>
>>2122673
Small plastic tote?

>>2122686
I thought of doing the pot thing.
Would a coconut hide also be nice?
>>
>>2122809

playa st. teresa?
>>
>>2122694
Wild caught animals are completely different from captive animals, they come built with an immuse system to withstand their environment. Any turtle or snake you catch, you can basically grab any stick, bug, plant, fish, food etc. And it shouldnt harm it one bit.
>>
>>2122567
I have 2 Eastern boxies. Don't be around to make the pond a little deeper than their height with a grade so they can climb out. Mine love to fully submerge and just walk around checking out the bottom. They are pretty Hardy, mine live on spring mix and a variety of worms. Make sure to give it plenty of shade options, they are used to hiding and not big on just hanging out in the open. I'm used to Russian tortoises so the fact that boxies hinged shells can completely seal them up for protection fascinates me.
>>
>>2122942
Don't be afraid*
>>
>>2121735
Naja annulifera
>>
>>2122940
Yeah, I'm sure those wild box turtles already have immunities to the diseases that captive bred feeder goldfish have. I'm sure they aren't effected by thiaminase either, right?
>>
File: papertowelrolls.png (294 KB, 449x408) Image search: [Google]
papertowelrolls.png
294 KB, 449x408
>>2122875

Coconuts can work but i find them to be too tall and too narrow to work well for leopard geckos.

Also paper towels rolls. Leos don't use those as hides for sleeping that often but they do get a kick out of climbing through them.
>>
>>2122980
Yah, I may be more critical of Captive breds diet but wild tend to eat anything and everything they deem edible. I could only guess what they might catch and eat while in their outside pens. Give it a try or if you want to play it safe, find a local pond and net the water near the edge. You're bound to come up with some minnows you can transfer over.
>>
>>2122590
try moving whatever you have that shes basking on slightly to the left or right of the light so that it's not directly overhead. it could mean she's too hot. they just love the sun and cant get enough. mine always tries to climb up to my bedroom light just cause she thinks it's another heat source.
>>
File: CAM00143.jpg (296 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00143.jpg
296 KB, 1536x2048
>>2122622
Finally got a couple pictures, commencing dump
>>
File: CAM00144.jpg (276 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00144.jpg
276 KB, 1536x2048
>>2123111
>>
File: CAM00146.jpg (449 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00146.jpg
449 KB, 2048x1536
>>2123113
>>
File: CAM00147.jpg (367 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00147.jpg
367 KB, 2048x1536
>>2123115
>>2123115
>>
File: CAM00148.jpg (335 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00148.jpg
335 KB, 2048x1536
>>
File: CAM00149.jpg (339 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00149.jpg
339 KB, 2048x1536
>>2123117
End dump
>>
>>2123015
Ah yes. Rolls. Good
Coconuts might work if I buy a babby
>>
>>2122942
Thanks man! I've been offering fruit/veggies/ a couple of earthworms from the garden/ and tried him with mealworms but apparently they're too hard for them or something? He didn't care but I'll keep it to soft worms.

Also sort of a weird question but... Is he going to attract other turtles? Today an ENORMOUS slider was wandering around really close to him which is weird as I've never seen a turtle this close to the house. Probably coincidence, but still.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
My uromastyx has a strange round bulge on his side. I haven't had him for too long, maybe a week. Does this look like a tumor or anything or is this just a lizards organ or something
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2123162
Here's another picture from the side
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slaz1yTpx1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6TM_mvmSA

This guy makes me happy. Freakin love lizards.

I might try this with some crickets and some of the fence lizards outside my house, but my concern is I might step on them if they get too friendly. Maybe I can make the tree a feeding spot and just dump a bag of crickets over there once a week.
>>
>>2123132
He's probably just not used to them yet. Once he's had a couple, he will go cracy for them. I use them as occasional treats and they climb over each other to get them.
I would put the other turtle off as the Baader-Meinhof phenomena. You're just unknowingly on the look out for other turtles, so you'll spot them more. Their camo is perfect for my area but now that I keep them, I notice that orange spotted pattern easier now.

Also, I don't know about your state laws but here in FL, you can only keep 2 Eastern box turtles at a time, so just keep that in mind if you get any more.
>>
File: IMG_3950.jpg (93 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3950.jpg
93 KB, 480x640
This is day 3 with my new bearded dragon. He's really calm and loves getting pats. It'd be nice to potty train him but he does have a poop dance that I didn't notice so that's my bad.

I'm calling him Mojo...but I'm still undecided. I also like Salvadore.
>>
File: IMG_3330.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3330.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>2123196

He is so handsome to me. It's hard to explain.
>>
File: 20160515_212636.jpg (697 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515_212636.jpg
697 KB, 1920x1080
Is it common to cut lizards tails or something in pet shops? Roommate got this guy and his tail looks odd, like it was cut and is either regrowing/healing, or some string or fuzz got stuck in there while it was healing. I havent looked too closely at it, and id rather not touch it in case its sensitive
>>
File: 20160515_212714.jpg (556 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515_212714.jpg
556 KB, 1920x1080
>>2123204
Never really handled lizards too much or for too long before. Ive been trying to get this one used to people, or at least me. He obviously ran around a lot when i tried to get him out, but he eventually stopped moving and played dead. I put him on my chest and he hasnt moved. His eyes are closed like hes trying to sleep. Is he still playing dead, or is he actually sleeping because im warm? Hes breathing, amd if i move his eyes open, so hes not dead
>>
>>2123162

Hmm. No idea on that. I guess just keep an eye on it, see if it stays the same or gets bigger. If bigger then vet.
>>
>>2123204

>Is it common to cut lizards tails or something in pet shops?

No. Could be fight injury. Could be tail got caught in a terrarium door. The eyes closed and keeping still is a stress response. Only handle one to two times per week for no more than 15 minutes each time.
>>
>>2123196

Cute. I vote Salvadore.
>>
>>2123111
>not a single picture is in focus
did you take these and think "yeah this lizard is totally in focus" or what?
>>
>>2123204
>>2123206
>he man bed sheets
>>
File: wtf.jpg (123 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
123 KB, 500x333
>>2123229
Oh goddamnit all
>>
>>2121877
Animal Plastics and LLLReptile's Vision cages are good. This dude in eBay makes killer PVC cages as well:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/lorexpl1

However, they are expensive. As everyone in the thread is saying, it's much, much cheaper to make it yourself, and it's not that hard.

Hell, why not just buy a plastic bin large enough for what you want, and use heat tape?
>>
>>2121867
She ate! Thanks anyway i was worried for nothing!
>>
>>2121943
anyone?
>>
>>2123350
How many mealworms has he had? Mealworms have a pretty hard outer body, may be clogging him up.

Maybe not feed him for a day, and then try again with some small crickets?
>>
Day 2 of owning my first snek.
Sand Boa seems to be doing well, I see her tunneling around her 10 gallon tank so I know she's being active. Will it really be OK with just a undertank heating mat though? All the care sheets say it's pretty much all you need and I have a thermostat adjuster for it so I know it's hitting the correct temp and I checked the substrate and it's conducting heat well enough but I feel like I'd need a lamp too, but maybe I'm just used to keeping fish where the whole tank will be warm instead of just one spot.

Really glad I got this snake instead of the king snake I was going to get. I can't get over how beautiful she is and how fucking cool their burrowing is.
>>
File: sleep bath 1.png (2 MB, 672x1048) Image search: [Google]
sleep bath 1.png
2 MB, 672x1048
>>2122741
i have a jackson's (pic related) and he's a big handful, but i still love him a lot. i have him in a reptibreeze with a misting system - he gets his water from sipping out of the leaves of the plants in his enclosure.

he also refuses to eat free-roam, so i have to hand feed him, or use tongs. he's very moody about both. i give him about 2-3 hours of natural sunlight a week, and a simulated rainfall in the shower once a week, during which i clean his enclosure. describing it makes it sound way worse than it is, lmao

meanwhile, i also have a BP, who literally just sits in a fucking bin and eats once every week or two. here's your difference between beginner herps and intermediate herps
>>
>>2123361
Ive always wondered about the chameleon shower thing. Do you just stick it in the shower with a plant or something? Wont it get too hot or cold? Will it run?
>>
>>2123365
you put it on a plant or small tree (i have a few potted plants and bonsai he likes to sit on, both during outside time and in the shower)

you aim the shower spray at only one side of the plant - if he wants to, he can sit in or out of the spray. for temperature, i measure it just slightly warm to the touch - about the way a warm summer rain feels.

usually he'll stick to the plant he's on, because that's where he feels safest, but i still sit next to the tub and watch him for most of the time he's in there, just in case.
>>
>>2122745
If you don't mind a snake that varies from fasting a few months one time a year to eating once or twice a year, they're great!

>>2122806
Seeing as you live in Georgia, there's really nothing else it could be. I'd include the scientific name to help you but the taxonomy on them has vastly changed. Used to be Pantherophis obsoletus obsoletus if that helps.

They go through an ontogenetic change throughout their lives, and that individual was likely stuck in the middle of it. Judging by the size, it's still not quite an adult. Some do hold onto their pattern, though, so it may not turn black like most do.
>>
>>2123107
the way it is makes it incredibly hard to movie around. Her log is a big ass piece of drift wood I sanitized the fuck out of. I collect the stuff often as I have 3 large(75gallons+) tanks and half a dozen smaller ones as well.

That particular piece took about a month to prepare and be safe enough for an aquarium or habitat. It's a beautiful piece of wood so I don't want to cut it down but I guess I will. It's in her habitat pretty solidly so I'll have to take her out for a bit to saw away at it.

>>2122665
Where I live it is very cold most of the yearl Like -10f in the winters. It's only about 50f right now. It took me awhile to find a place suitable for her. A place that wasn't drafty and I could keep really warm.

What's the best way to increase the temps by only 10 or so? Dry tanks aren't exactly something I know a lot about.

She's a very pretty bearded dragon. Like, I have seen some ugly dragons but this girl is picture perfect. Her colors are bright and her patterns are vibrant. Her snout and head is like perfectly shaped and all of her spikes and scales are pretty as can be. I don't know if there is a reptile "dog show" but if there was she would win the bearded dragon division easily haha.

My mom got her but had to give her to me since shes been having a hard time moving around lately. She held her every day since she got her so the dragon is extremely friendly and wonderful.
>>
>>2123231
thats his shirt you dunce
>>
>>2123514
>he man shirt
>>
File: 1395102270326.jpg (35 KB, 491x374) Image search: [Google]
1395102270326.jpg
35 KB, 491x374
>buy some earthworms for my pacman frog for a little diet variety
>he goes ape and loves them
>run out
>buy some more worms a few weeks later
>frog wants NOTHING to do with them

little nigger
>>
>>2123558
lol

Maybe these ones smell bad?
>>
File: 2hqxuld.jpg (73 KB, 1118x753) Image search: [Google]
2hqxuld.jpg
73 KB, 1118x753
>>2123439
Try using a CHE bulb. You get a lot of temperature flexibility depending on how high or low you have it over the aquarium. For even more control, you can get a thermostat for it for around $20-25.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_122300.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_122300.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Look at this qt
>>
>>2123636

Yay sand boa! They're shy little fellows when in their tank but still great snek.
>>
File: 20160509_222909.jpg (2 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20160509_222909.jpg
2 MB, 2988x5312
Am i wrong but aint this fella a bit thin?
pic related.
>>
>>2123680
holy fuck that image sorry guys.
>>
>>2123680

Looks okay. Juvenile right? Younger geckos, especially males, tend to get long/slender before they fill out muscle-wise. You can supplement diet with Pangea fruit mix w/ Insects or Repashy Grubs n' Fruit once a week. Both of those contain protein from soldier fly larva and are top tier in taste for the geckers.
>>
>>2123686
Sweet, sadly i have to get rid of my two fairly young aged males. A good apartment slipped through my fingers and i can just keep a few of my animals when I'm moving out.
>>
>>2123166
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIJyz_UfgQU

>This lizards ownin some newbs on xbox live
>>
Are earwigs poisonous to alligator lizards?
>>
>>2123737
they shouldn't be, an earwigs defense mechanism are those pincers. they aren't poisonous as far as I'm aware
>>
>>2123744
I was thinking more as food haha. Like, I know mealworms have hard outer bodies, so they aren't too good to give too often unless you want to gut them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2IZACO5Io

Why are they so fucking cute?!

I'm dying over here!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepnvF1RYG4
>>
>>2123352
I'll try, but he just never goes for crickets, just mealies. I guess hes just tired of them? Also, i've given him about 2-3 mealworms per feeding since thats all he ever seems interested in.
>>
>>2123761

because ackies a best wee monitor
>>
File: 1462670827458.jpg (18 KB, 414x420) Image search: [Google]
1462670827458.jpg
18 KB, 414x420
>Tfw your bearded dragon lets you fuck with it and grab its front legs and move them up and down to do a little dance
I wonder if she has the mental ability to think I'm a faggot
>>
File: download.png (15 KB, 449x112) Image search: [Google]
download.png
15 KB, 449x112
I have an tank that is 18 high but my house is 65F. Should I use a heat lamp? I have a uth but I don't think that's enough. Any from this chart?
>>
>>2123895
Forgot to say for corn snake
>>
>>2123896
have you looked up any caresheets?

If not, do that, then come back here if you still have questions. Caresheets should provide the basic questions though.
>>
>>2123903
Yes, they usually just say use uth, but I live in a colder climate/house so I'm concerned it won't be enough
>>
>>2123904
probably better to provide both honestly. You should have a thermostat too so you won't have to worry if it's the right temp or not.

I think corns like their cool sides at about 70F, and the hot sides up to 90.

I also recommend a uvb light if you can get it.
>>
File: snake wearing a hat.jpg (23 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
snake wearing a hat.jpg
23 KB, 500x281
I want to get a snake, but I'm not really a fan of keeping rodents in my freezer.
Is a garter snake a good candidate for babby's first snek?
>>
File: 20160516_225130.jpg (470 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160516_225130.jpg
470 KB, 1920x1080
>>2123212
Didnt think they cut it or anything. Thanks. He also has these blue stripes on his underside. Whats with that?

>>2123515
>not liking he man
I honestly have no response for this. You cant not like he man
>>
>>2123936
If you don't feed them rodents, they take a lot more attention to diet. Best case scenario is you feed it a mixed diet of earthworms, fish, and rodents. With rodents making up a very small portion of their diet. You can leave the rodents out but I'd advise supplementing their worms and fish with calcium every feeding if you do.

Google a list of safe fish for garters, if it contains thiaminase do not feed it. Big ones are goldfish and feeder fish (usually those rosy red minnows). Goldfish are double the fun by providing an especially heavy parasite load for a fish. Try to feed only frozen/thawed fish, as live fish can carry diseases and parasites.

If you catch earthworms out of your yard, make sure no pesticides or chemicals are used otherwise they aren't safe to feed.

Other than diet, they have really low humidity and heat needs, and you should do fine with a 20 gallon for an adult, 30 gallons for a large female. Do not cohabitate, I know this is a common practice but you still risk cannibalisms and the spread of illness. A prominent garter keeper (who no longer really posts) in one of the reptile forums I frequent had a garter regurge a worm, which resulted in that snake becoming cannibalized. I think they were easterns, but not totally sure. So, even species not known for cannibalism still can fight over food and end up eating one another, and feeding separately cannot guarantee you anything. He used to house dozens together, but after that incident every single one was separated.

>>2123955
That's a fence lizard, the blue on his sides are mating colors. You've got a male, congrats.
>>
Two weeks with me, and she's already shown the typical hog attitude.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8GIKNxNIB4tclpCcC16dHc0QWM
>>
File: Corn Snoot.jpg (181 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
Corn Snoot.jpg
181 KB, 1280x851
>>2123936
No, not really. Garters stink, literally; their fishy diet + propensity to musk you whenever they're upset is very off-putting to first timers. Also, they can go off feed.

Your best bet for babby's first's snek is a corn snake, a kingsnake, or a milk snake.

I recommend a corn. There's plenty of cool colors to choose from, and they're super sweet snakes. Much more fun to watch than balls, that's for sure.

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/
>>
>>2123962
That vicious hoggy closed mouth nose bump.
>>
>>2122741
I have two panther chameleons and I am currently breeding them. Personally Panther chameleons aren't that hard to keep but they must never be in glass terrariums and they need a high humidity habitat AKA a misting system and they need high heat(78 - 80) besides that you must not forget the reptisun for the D3 and you should be fine. I would just recommend that you buy from a breeder since they are way more reliable.
>>
File: 1449971055753.jpg (141 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1449971055753.jpg
141 KB, 720x960
What would you suggest getting as someone's very first reptile pet? Sorta in between a ball python and a bearded dragon, though a friend might be giving me a crested gecko.
>>
>>2123966
Ok, I'll get a cornsnake and get a small freezer separate of the one with food I eat
>>
>>2123966

Yeah. Milks, especially young ones, can be a bit quick on the musking also. They usually outgrow that phase with regular handling. Further to your point on colubrids; corns are docile AND great feeders AND active, which is best combination. Kings are same but their feeding response can be so strong they get a little over enthusiastic and try to swallow your hand, not that a king bite hurts very much, and again this is a behaviour you can tame out of them pretty easily.
>>
File: IMG_0145.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0145.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2123970
http://www.vmsherp.com/ViewCornsnakes.htm

Highly recommend this breeder.

Also, I just keep my rats and mice in a styrofoam box inside my freezer; sub-zero temperatures kill all parasites and bacteria rodents could pass onto human food anyways, so, it's a non-issue.

(Pic unrelated, just my hog being a hog)
>>
>>2123973
Do I have to get it from this website? Could I just get a snek from a petsmart?
>>
>>2123976
I mean, yeah.

But they won't know shite about its genetics, and it'll probably die fairly soon in comparison to a well-bred one.

If you're going to be cheap, at least purchase a common corn from a reputable breeder ($25-45, at most, even cheaper at reptile shows)
>>
>>2123976

You are more likely to get a healthy snake with good genes, no congenital defects, no existing problems, etc from a breeder. It can potentially save you a world of headache later on to buy a healthy animal from a reputable source. Petsmartlandco is not a reputable source.
>>
>>2123978
https://www.cornsnake.net/

Here's another breeder that's solid.
>>
>>2123969
it depends on what you're looking, how much you're willing to research care, how much you're willing to spend on set up, food, etc
>>
Anyone have any experience with common house geckos as pets? Are they cool little guys? I know they arent for handling and are nocturnal but i want to add some life to my planted vivarium. I've never had a herp, i would get a crestie but they live for a little longer than i can plan ahead for, although i do like how you can feed them exclusively coke.

Anyways any thoughts?
>>
>>2123978
>$25-45
>petshop charges $60-80

This is the way to go anon, for sure. And you'll probably have some kind of money back guarantee if it dies within a couple months. Hoping not of course, but it happens.
>>
I see a lot of people claim a 40 gallon tank is too large for a single leopard gecko. They say the gecko won't utilize heat sources well if they have that much space. But my gecko absolutely loves exploring and climbing during nighttime and I can't help but feel the bigger he gets the nicer it would be to have even more space than a 20 gallon long.

Any thoughts on all this or anybody here have a Leo in a 40 gal tank currently?
>>
File: WP_20160205_00_44_42_Pro.jpg (3 MB, 4208x2368) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160205_00_44_42_Pro.jpg
3 MB, 4208x2368
>>2124068
You can get a 40 gallon, but you'll have to be sure to get a heat mat large enough for it. 1/3 of the tank.

You'll also need to fill the tank, a lot of coverage. With a tank that large, you shouldn't have any large open areas except around the basking spot.

Pic related is my tank. Others will be more knowledgeable. But my Leo does just fine in this 33-gallon-long.
>>
People who say X size tank are dumb
Any tank size above the minimum works so long as you utilize the space effectively
Make sure your heating element takes of enough space/heats up the larger area. MORE HIDES minimize open areas aside from a basking zone if they need one.

I've had my ball in a 50g since she was a wee little thing, and she has never not used the whole thing
>>
>>2124069
That looks really nice and spacious. I like the custom hides a lot too. If I upgrade his tank, I plan to commission someone to make something special.
>>2124070
That's what I was thinking. My gecko has never not gone to the warm side when he's cold and I feel like for an animal that is also found in the wild, if they got lost that easily they wouldn't be around still.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvHjynPVoY
>>
Anyone here keep cane toads? I have one adult coming in this week and I'm currently setting up a large tank. Not sure if it's going to be a male or female. What should I expect? Most of what I've watched and read is that they're quite docile.
>>
>>2124050
>>2123987
>>2123978
How do they mail snakes, they're cold blooded, is it safe?
I want to get my corn snek as young as possible, how can I do so if they only hatch in season
>>
I moved some stuff around my baby bearded dragons tank and he is currently trying to dig / get under his paper towels

what do
>>
>>2123969
Get the gecko.
>>
Can anyone recommend a good uth for snakes
>>
File: product_41.jpg (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
product_41.jpg
76 KB, 500x500
>>2124198
Typically inside a clothe bag, resting in shredded newspaper inside a foam container in a box with a heat pack, depending on the weather. Breeders will, if reputable, will check the weather conditions of shipping route. For instance, I had a breeder agree to ship to me but because of the current temp, insisted that it stay on the FedEx office for pick up so it wasn't stuck in a hot truck all day. Live shipping is overnight, which is why it's $30-40
>>
>>2124198
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGASyRMcb4 du duu du duuuuuuh john cena
>>
>>2124229

The name brand ones are all the same. Zoo med, exo terra, etc.
>>
Okay so I got a little skink yeah? And he spends most of his time tunneling around in the substrate.
I'm almost out of mealworms and I want to vary up his diet a little bit. I can do the other kinds of "worm" easy but how do I do crickets?
Obviously they aren't just going to sit in the bowl and wait to be eaten. Do I just turn them loose one at a time and wait for him to eat them? Will he feel them crawling on the surface and come up to hunt?
>>
>>2124292
How big is he? I know it's not studied much or even well known, but Ivw had crickets kill baby alligator lizards before. They sprayed some black shit on them.

If you're skinks a baby still, I suggest just killing the crickets before laying them in the bowl, I'm sure he'll still eat them.
>>
>>2124403
nah he's pretty much a fully grown gilbert's skink
I'd probably get him small crickets, maybe medium size
>>
>>2124229
http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

Don't even bother with the Exo Terra/ZooMed/petstore brand sticky UTHs, they are shite, require a thermostat not to overheat, and they'll still overheat and become a fire hazard.

These don't need a thermostat; it's super fancy pre-laminated heat tape, basically, but it never goes above unsafe temps for reptiles.

They're best for snakes, though.
>>
>>2124481

Uh, durability issues aside, you would still need to use a thermostat with those if the target temperature is below their stated 90-95 operating temp.
>>
>>2124499
Well, of course. But I only keep snakes that need a 90-95 operating temp, so it's a non-issue for me, lad.
>>
>>2124481
Those still need a thermostat. The built-in thermostat can still fail. Do not use any heat source without an external thermostat.
>>
>>2124546

'I don't feel the need to use thermostats because of (my animals)' =/= 'you don't need a thermostat with these particular heatmats'. This thread is in part about offering advice to new reptile keepers. Your suggestion was misleading and incorrect, bruv.
>>
>>2123969
cresties are the superior first reptile
>>
I was hanging out with my cornsnake on the couch watching a movie. Stuck his snoot into the cushion, figured I'd let him have some fun.
Evidently, he decided to not settle for the underside of the cushion but a small opening leading to the inside of my couch.
Not the underside, the actual backside of the couch that I can't access.

I'm sitting here in the dark hoping he'll realize the awful mistake he's made. But likely, I'll have to wait to get a mouse.
>>
File: IMG_1542.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1542.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3456
Anyone else have a crestie thats just not into crickets? He will literally let them crawl over his face without so much as flinching.

Previous owner says the same thing. He likes his pangea enough, but I still can't help but feel that he's missing out on something.

Pic related, Demetri says hey anons
>>
>>2124660

Pretty common. Of my 3 cresties and one garg; only one crestie likes bugs (any) and the garg will go for phoenix worms, and only phoenix worms, once every six months. The gargoyle is hilarious when she bestirs herself go take interest though. She insists on striking from above. So what she will do is hang upside down above the dish with only her rear feet and stretch down at the bowl. She quickly earned the nicknames Batgirl and Spooky for that and other eccentric behaviour.
>>
>>2124652
yeah, its nice and dark in there he isn't coming out on his own for a looooong time.
You'll either have to try to bait him out with food or cut the back off of your couch
>>
>>2124690
Or he could try to turn the cooler on in his house, and plug a heat pad in somewhere near the couch and bait him into a box.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xt799dWkAA
how fast could he die?
>>
>>2124715

Had that black mamba bitten him he would have had to call ambulance immediately. Wiki article says -without antivenin- patient will typically collapse in about 45 minutes, and death occurs after roughly 7-15 hours. Fortunately there is an effective antivenin for black mamba venom.
>>
How do you go about rehoming pets you can't look after as well as you'd like any more?
>>
File: what.png (381 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
what.png
381 KB, 600x338
>>2121461
I found this in my leopard gecko tank just now, are these eggs
>>
>>2125066
kindof.
>>
File: flukerslightingtempchart.png (40 KB, 806x202) Image search: [Google]
flukerslightingtempchart.png
40 KB, 806x202
My tank is 36*18*18
And I keep my house at 65
I have a uth for the corn, but should I get an 25w day light bulb?
>>
>>2125066
yeah, those are "slugs" or unfertilized eggs
>>
File: IMG_1533.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1533.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
POST YOUR CRESTIES!!!
>>
>>2125076
I would get a black bulb, i like them for night time. It has a relatively low heat range and is good to keep their eyes from straining.
>>
>>2125062

A few options:

You can try to sell them on kingsnake, faunaclassifieds, craiglist etc. The first two will get you better more knowledgable buyers but less traffic to your post.

You can give them to local reptile rescue if one exists.

If the breeder you purchased from is still around you can sometimes give them back there (at your expense).

Sometimes reptile shops will take in animals for resale. They won't pay you for them but they might be interested in taking them.
>>
>>2125076

How come you keep posting this question? You have done so three times now and received answers each time.
>>
>>2125066

Make sure you have a bottlecap of calcium in the tank right now in addition to your ordinarily dusting of feeders, just to be on the safe side. Egg production, even unfertilized, does consume a lot of calcium which your girl will need to replenish.
>>
>>2125149
because I'm paranoid as fuck and don't seem to get a straight answer.
>>
>>2125170

Okay fair enough. Answer is yes, you can and should problem a heat source in addition to your UTH if room temp is 65. For that size tank I suggest a low wattage ceramic heat emitter, 40w should be good. At 18" tank height that will raise interior floor temps by about 10-15 degrees F. You can adjust that by either raising the height of the CHE further above the screen or by using a rheostat/dimmer to decrease power to it.

Make sure your UTH is controlled by a thermostat when adding additional heat sources so that the UTH can be kept at a steady temp regardless of the ambient (assuming ambient does not rise above your UTH thermostat setting).
>>
>>2125175
*problem = provide in first sentence

Also, a fancier and more expensive way to go is a radiant heat panel as your sole heat source. Those also require thermostats.
>>
so, I'll have my associate's finished in another year.
How do I take my pythons with me to university?
>get an off campus apartment (extra debt)
or
>leave them with family nearby, but I'd probably be worried about them constantly.
or
>leave them with my parents and drive home every weekend

alternatively, go to my second choice school and commute everyday 30 minutes to university.

just fuck, I hate these kinds of choices.
>>
>>2125175
>>2125178
thank you, I am just concerned about my babies
>>
>>2125180
What kind of pythons?
Assuming you don't have a bunch of adult retics or something, you can just set them up in rubbermaid tubs and no one will be any the wiser if you don't mention it.
>>
>>2125186
carpet pythons, the male is around 7 feet and the female is around 6.

I currently have them each in rather large PCV enclosures. I would really rather not hide them in rubbermaids.
>>
File: Wire-Cage-3981.jpg (825 KB, 2655x1929) Image search: [Google]
Wire-Cage-3981.jpg
825 KB, 2655x1929
>>2125184

Sure. With CHEs, you can mount them in a 10" dome fixture or one of the wire fixtures as in pic related. With the wire fixtures I like to wrap the outside part with aluminum foil, leaving the top part of the frame open.
>>
File: WineCooler.jpg (120 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
WineCooler.jpg
120 KB, 1500x1500
I've just gone fancy with my feeder insect storage! Bought a little wine chiller to keep my mealworms and phoenix worms in. I know mealworms can be kept in regular fridge but my fridge is a little inconsistent and dips down sometimes low enough to kill 10% of my worms when i put them in there.

The phoenix worms I have been keeping in a styrofoam cooler with an ice pack i change daily to maintain their optimal storage temp of 50-60. Tired of changing those ice packs. So i've gone fancy now.
>>
File: 1463621764980.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1463621764980.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Terrarium is a little messy from moving his environment around a little. This is Vorax. He is about 6 inches snout to vent now. Btw I am not sure how to determine if a pixie frog is obese. His pudge now slightly overlaps his forearms when relaxed, often with his hands lightly clasped.

Also when do pixie juvenile's lose their stripes? His have gradually shrunk over the last few sheds.
>>
>>2124648
If he's still getting the corn, the heat mat operates at optimum range for them. Most babby's first snakes need a 90-95 range.

Chill.
>>
File: close up.jpg (139 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
close up.jpg
139 KB, 1200x720
>>2125093
Her rock is nice and chilly, she likes it
>>
>>2125205
Nice case bro, what are the specs of that rig?
>>
>>2125321

I bet it could run minesweeper! :o
>>
File: IMG_20160518_213305.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_213305.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Look at this faggot.

Anyone know a good way to nuke humidity? I have a screen top, the windows open in my room, the fan running and the temp in the enclosure on the basking side is at 92 and yet my humidity is still hovering around 40 instead of the 20 I need for this nerd.

I'm a little worried about feeding her, Im going out of town for 3 days soon and I tried feeding her since her breeder fed her on the 7th. He said only once every two weeks but I read sand boas need once a week so I wanted to try feeding her before I leave but she was completely disinterested in the pinky I offered. Even tried braining it.
>>
>>2125354
Have you tried a dehumidifier.
>>
>>2125354

double check humidity with a better digital humidity gauge. those dial things are inaccurate.

smaller water bowl

possibly switch to a CHE on the screen top for your heat instead of a UTH
>>
>>2125358

is that some kind of mulch you're using for substrate? If so, switch to shredded aspen. That might be your main culprit.
>>
>>2125358
Already don't keep a water bowl in the tank.

Guess I'll have to pick up a lamp then.
>>2125361
It's reptabark, I plan to switch it out for something else soon since I anticipated getting a king snake but ended up with a sand boa since I fell in love with it and the care level was about the same anyway. Prob gonna change it to sand for easier burrowing and feed the snake in a separate container.
>>
>>2125214

That frog looks very fat. How old is he?
>>
>>2125354
Those analog hygrometers don't work for low humidity at all.
>>
>>2125354
nice snek, congrats!

But please don't use those analog Thermo-/Hygrometers, they are shit
Pleas buy digital ones (don't have to be specificly terrarium ones)

This could be the "reason" of your Humidity
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.