[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here work with animals? I am a fish biologist with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 89489484.jpg (40 KB, 544x364) Image search: [Google]
89489484.jpg
40 KB, 544x364
Does anyone here work with animals? I am a fish biologist with Oregon and my job is to reintroduce Chum Salmon to the Lower Columbia River, it's quite fun. I spend most of my time evaluating habitat, releasing fish, and then evaluating data.
>>
I used to but I'm not a farm kid anymore. Grew up and got a job and moved away
>>
>>2116955
I'm a marine biology major, actually. Next week we're surveying a reef near a local resort to make sure tourists haven't fucked it up.
>>
>>2116955
Actually, speaking of, next year I have to take up an internship and I really don't want to do it here in the Philippines. Any recommendations for someplace that'll take interns from late March-early June? I was thinking the NWFSC with NOAA.
>>
I am a herpetologist specializing in box turtles. It's a great job. Really cool to do something you're passionate about.
>>
>>2117144
Awesome man
>>
>>2117140
Don't worry, they have.
>>
>>2117141
fucks sake, NWFSC is FANTASTIC, if you can get on with them do it! I'm always open to hiring newfags, but, we're full up right now, if I was likely to have hiring potential recently I'd bring you on, just for being a nigger and posting on 4chan.
>>
i work with the SRKW's

orcas are such amazing animals.
>>
>>2117140
What's it like being a marine biologist? That's what I was thinking about doing because of how threatened by human activity the ocean is and I want to fix it, but everyone says it's really hard to get a job in and you won't working hands on with species for the most part
>>
>>2117654
Shit, man, if that changes let me know (somehow). If you've got a slot free during Spring 2017 I'll haul ass over there. I've always wanted to work in the PNW area.

>>2117955
Honestly, as much of a fucked-up country as the Philippines can be, I'm pretty lucky to be studying marine bio here. Dive centers are everywhere so getting a certification is piss easy, tuition isn't bad at all (at my school it's a little over 1000USD/semester), and our reefs are amazing (California Academy of Sciences says that they're the most biodiverse in the entire world). As for the whole species thing, it's fairly up to luck. I've got a friend who spends his time assessing dolphin populations in a nearby town, but my teacher got into the field wanting to be a marine botanist and now she's studying gastropods and she couldn't be happier. The great thing is that the ocean is so big and there's so much stuff in it that even if you don't end up studying your favorite creatures you might end up working with something you love just as much or grow to love.

The Philippines is a third-world country so we're exposed pretty regularly to all the shit the ocean is facing (morons in the government, mining, overfishing, plastics and pollution, etc.). It's kind of weird because it can simultaneously motivate you and make you feel like shit.

I don't really know if I can call myself a marine biologist yet, but all the ones I've met so far have been some of the coolest and friendliest people I've met. It's definitely a rewarding field.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.