[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
See this in your house Do you allow it to live?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11
File: house-centipede.jpg (113 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
house-centipede.jpg
113 KB, 1024x819
See this in your house
Do you allow it to live?
>>
>>2115801
Absolutely yes
>>
>>2115801
Nope
>>
>>2115803
Why?
>>
>>2115804
Its an evil demon
>>
If I can I'll try to bring it outside but it pulls any of that bug bullshit then it's done for
>>
It's harmless so yes. I'll pick it up and put it outside. I usually pick up bugs in my hands and take them out. The only exceptions are stinkbugs because I hate them, mosquitoes because I also hate them, and wasps because they're wasps
>>
Fuck no I can't stand these things, whether they're harmless or not
>>
what kind of insecticide do I spray these guys with?
>>
>>2115923
I just use ant/roach spray, seems to do fine against them
>>
>>2115928
Okay what type of fire would I use after that
>>
>>2115930
Napalm
>>
File: XqakHvn.gif (1 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
XqakHvn.gif
1 MB, 230x172
>>2115808
>>2115923
>>2115928
>>2115930
>>2115933
How many upboats have you received, sirs?
>>
>>2115935
just yours friendo :^)
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462180979687.jpg (18 KB, 480x339) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462180979687.jpg
18 KB, 480x339
Catch the cute little fella. Feed it. Breed it. Send the spawn off into the wilderness Or sell/trade them online.
>>
People call me stupid for hating these guys because they kill ants spiders but I don't understand what those people have against ants and spiders, they're nowhere near as creepy crawly as these shits and spiders at least mind their own business in the ceiling corners
>>
>>2115944
This

My ex wanted to release these in my house cuz spiders. I couldnt believe she would tolerate those over spiders. Just looking at house centipedes makes me feel weird, pretty much any centipedes. I love a lot of the animal kingdom but centipedes are like primordial demons from hell that i dont fuck with.

I wouldnt kill one if i saw one but still

Spiderbros>centidemons
>>
File: P6170284.jpg (720 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
P6170284.jpg
720 KB, 2048x1536
i let mine live
these guys are awesome
>>
File: 1462003644244.jpg (1 MB, 972x1296) Image search: [Google]
1462003644244.jpg
1 MB, 972x1296
>>2115801
I will tolerate pretty much any bug in my house (as long as there's no infestation), but fuck centipedes and everything they stand for.

The short legged ones are scary and mean, and these things are way too fast and disgusting looking. I used to try and pick them up with paper towels to let them go outside, but they just shed half of their legs and died anyway, so now I kill them. I'm tired of their bullshit, I'd rather deal with other bugs than waste my time trying to save these assholes.
>>
>>2115801
I never kill animals, but if I did, I would kill the centipede to keep it away from the arthropods I like, like house spiders and silverfish.
>>
>>2115801
Not only no but HELL NO.
>>
>>2115923
Your fists
>>
>>2116023
You....like silverfish?
>>
Those guys rule! They are like the Terminator vs. any other bug in your house and will destroy them.
>>
Is it true that they are territorial and there will only be 1 at a time in the house?
>>
>>2116276
No
>>
>>2115801
Of fucking course. They're awesome.
>>
File: PA263928_640.jpg (143 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
PA263928_640.jpg
143 KB, 640x480
>>2116223
You don't? Even though they are considered pests, I don't have any experience of them doing a ny actual damage.
>>
>>2115801
Yes, but I'll chuck it out on the street, using a chunk of plywood and a beer glass.
>>
File: silverfish-damage.jpg (586 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
silverfish-damage.jpg
586 KB, 768x768
>>2116023
>likes silverfish

That's like liking termites and fleas
>>
>>2115811
But but but
they want to be inside. ("house" centipede)

protip: you can pick up wasps in your hands to take them outside. They'll nom honey off your fingers to keep them occupied and not fly off. Impress your friends.
>>
File: DK_termite_mound_roa8nb.jpg (386 KB, 1440x2491) Image search: [Google]
DK_termite_mound_roa8nb.jpg
386 KB, 1440x2491
>>2116406
Of course I like termites. They build majestic skyscrapers.

Also, your pic doesn't really tell me much. What is it? How did it originally look? How many silverfish did it take to reduce it to that state? How long did it take?
>>
>>2116424
>Of course I like termites. They build majestic skyscrapers.
like 2 kinds, most of them just eat
>>
>>2115801
It's a house centipede, so yes.
If it were one of larger, black and dangerous looking ones then maybe no.
>>
>>2115944
Yeah this is how I feel. I'll take ants and spiders over these fuckers any day. Spiders chill in their corners and mind their own fucking business. Worst case scenario you see a larger spider somewhere where you'd rather not, but they'll never be as fast or as ugly.
>>
I kill pretty much any bug I find in my house.
You're fine outside, but you're dead in my house. ESPECIALLY centipedes. I just find them absolutely disgusting.
I had an experience when I was younger though having one in my mouth, so it might stem from that.

I'd rather have spiders, honestly.
>>
yah because i ain't going fuckin near that thing
>>
File: animation.gif (889 KB, 473x1500) Image search: [Google]
animation.gif
889 KB, 473x1500
>>2115801
just saw one of these guys. He was fucking huge too. I have never seen one that fucking big before.

Pic related.
>>
>>2115801
If it's winter, I'll kill them with a heavy heart, because I'm not going to share my space with them. Spring, summer, or fall, and I try for a live capture and release.
>>
It can go back to hell
>>
>>2115801
I find them creepy, but I usually let them be.
>>
>>2115809
>>bug bullshit

examples please
>>
What's the name of the tiny orange centipedes that are like an inch long and thread thin?
>>
>>2115801
Yes
>>
Yes, I hate centipedes. One bit me when I was 3, it wasnt that species but still.
>>
How do you permanently discourage these from existing in your house?

Preferably in a way which is totally cat-friendly, don't like the idea of bombing every room, crack and crevice with poison or spray when my boi likes to hang out with me.

I'm going to be spending some time in south/west France in a few weeks, and I am SURE these things are there, as i saw one in my room the last time I was out there. Needless to say I moved rooms. Do they primarily live in ground floor spaces? When I moved to sleep upstairs I didn't see a hint of one.
>>
>>2117881
I assume they live in spaces inbetween walls and floors, so you may want to fill in any cracks you find. Clean under and behind shelves and chairs. If you can try to get rid of their food (i.e. Spiders and crickets).

Anywhere dark they love, if that helps.
>>
>>2117881
>Do they primarily live in ground floor spaces?

I had them in a second floor apartment. They like bathrooms as well as basements, so in a tall building they have reasons to climb higher.
>>
Don't leave crumbs about
>>
>>2117881

Diatomaceous earth anywhere they might hide.
>>
They chase lasers. That's too weird for me.
>>
>>2117881
Insects, bugs, arachnids, whatever live in your house. They are going to no matter what you do.

A lot of people think it's food they leave around that might draw in insects and especially ants but that isn't the case at all. The shit that lives in your house is there for the water and that's it. This is why you will find ants in the kitchen, bathrooms, and anywhere you have a lot of water.

here's the thing about that as well. A lot of water will leak in through the roof and basement and end up pooling in the walls that you can't see. This will bring in the bugs and the bugs that eat the other bugs.

If you are seeing predatory bugs out in the open that means you have all kinds of shit living in your walls, cabinets, and under your carpet and floors. Spiders and centipedes cannot live without prey. So if you hate spiders you need to kill whatever they are feeding on and that's near fucking impossible.

If you live in an apartment it doesn't fucking matter what you do. They live in the walls and you will need everyone in the building to cooperate.
>>
As long as it pays rent
>>
>>2115801
Every bug I find in the house goes in the sink drain or toilet
>>
>>2115801
Yes! As weird as they look, they help get rid of other insects. The only thing that seems to stop them is spiders. I once went into the sump pump closet in my basement to clean out the dust and there were cobwebs full of these centipedes. The spiders had eaten all their flesh and left behind only their torn exoskeletons and legs hanging there. It was like a Saw movie with bugs.
>>
>>2115801
I was sitting in my living room one day and this nigger came running across my wall. Not knowing what type of demon was infesting my house, I caught it in a jar, and found it online. It's called a house centipede, and is basically there to eat nasty shit you don't want in your house, like venomous spiders. Let it go outside, you'll probably never see it again, and it will only reward you by killing the truly nasty shit.
>>
That thing eats bugs
>>
>>2115801
Can I use it as a mount?
>>
THESE THINGS
H
E
S
E

T
H
I
N
G
S

FUCK 'EM. FUCK 'EM ALL TO DEATH.
I hate the way they fucking move, its the fucking grossest.
>>
>>2116404
Silverfish are cute until they start running across your face at night and constantly wake you up

fuckers tickle like you wouldn't believe
>>
File: IMAG0657.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0657.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
I took a picture of this guy in my house around a few months a go. Never again.
>>
>>2118573
AHHHHHH FUCKING EW
>>
Is centipede for sexual?
>>
>>2118762
Yes
>>
>>2115801
I won't lie, I left an apartment I had leased the day I moved in because of these fuckers.

During the day it was fine. But at night, I saw one. Ok whatever move it outside and move along. Then a few more. They didn't get as lucky, I squished them. Then as it got really late, the floor was almost moving with them. They were crawling up the walls and falling from the ceiling. For some reason, I thought the bed would be safe so I holed up there. Needless to say, it wasn't. Those fuckers were on the sheets, under the sheets, and on the pillows. I couldn't escape them. So I stayed at a hotel for the night and cancelled the lease. No way am I paying to live in a house where a tent would be leagues better at keeping the outside out.

They also gave me rashes
>>
>>2118833
And for anyone else who happens to get into a contract with an apartment with infestation, if it's a real bad one like that you can take it to court and not have to pay the lease, provided you have proof of the infestation AND you were not informed of it prior.
>>
Triggered
>>
Yes! <3
>>
>>2118833
That's a fucking nightmare. What the fuck?
>>
>>2118573
I use the bug spray that's made for wasp nests so I can kill them from range. That shit's not meant for indoors, I don't give a fuck. The worst is when they're in a shitty spot where you can't smack them good, or if they're above you.
>>
I live in the Midwest and I noticed that they are very common in the dank basements here. They prey on other bugs including spiders, so they are good to have around. They are some fast scary fuckers though
>>
>>2119570
>if they're above you
made me check the ceiling above me
>>
File: 1462666190940.jpg (144 KB, 756x686) Image search: [Google]
1462666190940.jpg
144 KB, 756x686
I purchased a basement apartment near a back yard full of leaves that was literally crawling with 'em, along with some hairy spiders.
Had to basically fumigate the place.
The guy I bought it from was this short guy, didn't speak much English, from Mexico, his wife bought and sold real estate for a living and he would do the renovations.

The thing is while he did the renovations, he pretty much slept on the floor in the basement every night, with those things running everywhere.
Even after trying to kill 'em off, I slept on a bed and they'd still manage to find their way inside run over it.
That dude must've had balls of steel.
>>
>>2115801
I have a few of them running around in the basement area, along with half a dozen different kinds of spider. The house was built by underpaid idiots, mother has converted the yard into a garden and is making her own compost nearby, so increased bug density is understandable. These assholes are free to stay as long as I don't see what they are feeding on.
>>
>>2119602
Luckily I've scarcely seen them on actual ceilings, mostly on walls.
>>
Where do you guys live that these are a thing? I had to check to see what it was. I havent seen one inside or out my entire life. Worst big bugs I get are large moths that my cat fucks up
>>
>>2120345
Kansas reporting in, we get all kinds of centipedes in our area.
>>
>>2115801
I saw one when playing with my ferrets. I didn't want him to get fucking eaten so I grabbed him by the legs because I'm a stupid fucker and dropped him over the ferret wall
Had one or two legs in my fingers though
>>
>>2115801
Every time I see one of these fuckers scuttle across a wall I have to fight the urge to set my home on fire and hop a train out of town. FUCK house centipedes. I always destroy those goddamn aliens at every given opportunity, and I intend to do so until the day I die. They're actually demons.
>>
>>2120345
Canada here, Montreal. My parents say they have never seen those until a few years ago. Me neither for that matter. I guess they were introduced or had a huge surge in the past few years?

How can one explain that they have become so common?
>>
>>2115801
I once captured one of these in a mason jar, and left it in there for two weeks. It survived and was still moving about. I then released it. True story.
>>
>>2120831
Exactly the same as you. I had never seen them while growing up, then since 2-3 years I've seen a surge.
>>
>>2118458
>Let it go outside, you'll probably never see it again
Heh that's funny, because I once saw one outside, that seemed to later find its way inside. I can't be sure, but it was the same size (pretty fucking big), and thankfully they're not so common here that I would suspect it was a different one.

>>2120831
Hm, perhaps climate change?

They're so prolific around the world I can't imagine the surge being due to a sudden introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjwAtnaL-fU here they are en masse in Malaysia. Horrifying, right? (Probably not the exact same species, but you can tell they're somewhat closely related.) Can also find variants in Japan; those have the ability to jump, which is just adorable.

No reason not to expect them in Montreal considering how prevalent they are in the United States. Guess you gotta move farther north now.
>>
>>2118762
NO!!!
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.