[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you feed your dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13
File: six_fish1 (1).png (534 KB, 522x880) Image search: [Google]
six_fish1 (1).png
534 KB, 522x880
What do you feed your dog?
>>
PMR
>>
Acana Large Breed Puppy and Acana Small Breed Puppy at the moment, Orijen was a bit too rich for both of them.
>>
I feed my dog Wolfsblut, at the moment the Horse and Sweet Potato one
>>
Blue wilderness

Am I a bad dad?
>>
>>2114353
No
>>
Raw chicken along with some vegetable scraps from cooking dinner.
>>
Iams
>>
Fromm Heartland Gold
>>
Canidae and Big Dog Combo Barf
>>
>>
>>2114281
fat girls
>>
>>2114368
Is that it? Man your dogs gonna get a disease, they need a little more variety than that.

Toss in some oats and berries once in a while. And I hope to god you're not giving it whole bones from the chicken.
>>
>>2114281
Cats
>>
AM: Wet Taste of the Wild: High Prairie
PM: Dry Taste of the Wild: High Prairie in a Puzzle Toy

Treats during obedience training. Bone/ bull dick once a week.
>>
>>2114412
I need to get my dog some more TTW. She's on alright stuff right now mixed with home cooking, but I would love to be able to get her a case of wet food.
>>
>>2114407
Raw chicken bones aren't too bad (the bulky parts), they're very dangerous cooked though
>>
Ol' Roy
>>
Iams
>>
>>2114416
But they crack either way. I don't know, I don't trust it personally.

How you been buddy? How come you don't Skype no more? :(
>>
>>2114353
>Blue wilderness

No, just no. Any vet that actually recommends this stuff is a shill. I'm surprised half of /an/ hasn't jumped on you about this yet. Most of /an/ knows.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/blue-buffalo-wilderness-making-dogs-sick/

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/tag/blue-buffalo-pet-food/

http://poisonedpets.com/blue-buffalo-gets-slammed-by-a-shit-storm-of-consumer-lawsuits-based-on-deceptive-advertising-claims/

.... those are the first 3 google search results. Feel free to do your own search.
>>
>>2114281
Fag
>>
>>2114305
Acana here too.
>>
>>2114417
Does cheap equal bad or is it as good as I'm thinking?
>>
>>2114475
Educate yourself on your dog's nutritional needs and try to match it with the label on the back of the package. If there's any kind of grain in the first few places, it's shit. That's true for all cheap kibbles and many of the expensive ones as well. Orijen and Acana are some that are considered good, there's also some more that you should google.
>>
tastes of the wild and chicken wings and backs from when i butcher a chicken

also a few bully sticks a week and whetever i'm eating
>>
>>2114479
>If there's any kind of grain in the first few places, it's shit.

No. Dammit, people, stop spewing the shit advertisers tell you. INGREDIENTS. MEAN. NOTHING. What matters is if it's balanced nutrition, which has all of dick to do with ingredients.

For example, humans need protein. Where do we get it? Chicken, Rice, Eggs, Bacon, Tofu, fucking protein-powder. Everywhere. All that matters is that it's protein. Never have you heard a nutritionalist rant and rave about how protein from whole grain rice is completely different than protein from a pork chop. It's not. The only difference is delivery method. Like a solid grape vs. grape juice. It's still a grape.

Watch the nutritional balance. Ignore the ingredients - that is all marketing. All that matters is the nutrition.
>>
>>2114487
That's not true. Protein from a whole grain rice IS completely different than protein from a pork chop - same with carbs and fats.

It matters in how the protein and carbs are stored within the food products - starches vs. simple sugars, meat protein vs. plant protein.
>>
>>2114407
Other than that he gets fish at least twice a week and other scraps from cooking. Why would you feed a dog oats though? Dogs are carnivores.
Also, yeah he gets whole bones, it's very good for his teeth and there's absolutely no problem as long as they aren't cooked.

Dogs evolved from wolves and were domesticated by letting them eat leftovers and scraps. The food my dog gets is a perfectly natural diet, whereas your average processed dogfood pellets are not.
>>
>>2114281
BARF
>>
>>2114511
Also, just as a sidenote, he's 11 years old and extremely healthy. People are very often taken aback when they find out how old he is because he looks so much younger.
>>
>>2114449
My love for bugguy is too strong, my heart breaks when I get in Skype and he never says he loves me back
>>
>>2114487
Ingredients have nothing to do with the nutrients? That makes no sense. It made me laugg
>>
>>2114517

then you suck at reading. he said all that matters is the nutrients, not what horse they ride in on. and he's exactly right. when it comes to nutrition. small biological differences don't make one protein any better than another. only shills says otherwise. stop being sheep.
>>
>>2114529
see
>>2114492

It's not a small biological difference. Different animals have different enzymes to break down different compounds - the same way that we can't break down cellulose from plant matter and get our carbs that way, whereas a ruminant can do it just fine.

Ingredients do matter for the health of the animal.
>>
>>2114537
>Ingredients do matter for the health of the animal
for the most part you're wrong.
the anons you're arguing with are correct.

dogs can digest pretty much anything a human can and they digest it better.
>>
>>2114541
>dogs can digest pretty much anything a human can and they digest it better.

of course they don't, the digestive process for dogs lasts less than a third as long as it does for humans. their intestinal tract is short as fuck.
>>
>>2114537

this is simply wrong. it does not matter to the animal. at all. there are no digestive weaknesses, like cats are not built to break down cow's milk. but there is 130 years of research that says the stuff in we see in dog food these days is all perfectly fine. do you think they'd still make it otherwise?

i love these pet food threads. they're full of more misinformation than all of /b/'s catalog combined.
>>
>>2114544
>of course they don't, the digestive process for dogs lasts less than a third as long as it does for humans. their intestinal tract is short as fuck.

and works completely differently than a human's. it is more efficient and does not need the distance. their stomachs are also 3x larger and hold food 3x longer. does that mean they have more acid reflux? think about things please.
>>
>>2114487
>Ingredients are less important than nutrients
Of course, but there's a lot more to nutrient balance than any label will tell you. That's why ingredients matter.
>>
>>2114487
you can have boiled tvp
i'll have the steak
>>
>>2114529
Doesn't nutrition come from ingredients? I'm so confused
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 400x400
Right now I feed her Zignature lamb, but I don't like how gassy she is and how large her stool is. I'm thinking about switching to Acana Heritage fish once the local store gets their shipment in. I've never tried Acana before but in hoping it will help.
>>
>>2114609
Lamb is notorious for causing gas, switching proteins should help
>>
I like how those advocating against a raw or whole food diet haven't even tried it.

Go ahead, feed your dog Beneful for three months, then feed your dog a premium kibble for three months, then feed a balanced raw for three months. You will see the difference.

Almost all who advocate for raw and whole food diets started on kibble, including myself. If I could feed kibble without any health repercussions, I absolutely would because it's much more convenient, but I have seen the benefits first-hand and could never compromise my dog's health again now that I know.

When done correctly, a raw or whole-food diet is the absolute healthiest option for all animals and humans.
>>
File: Dog Food.jpg (170 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Dog Food.jpg
170 KB, 1000x1000
First time owning a dog.
Bought an Australian Shepherd.
Feed him 1.5 Cups of this mixed in with some Wellness Complete wet food.
Shit is adding up quickly though, $85 every 2 weeks.
Has anybody used the purina pro plan? Its soo much cheaper but i dont want to risk his health
>>
>>2114629
Why do you have a dog if you can't even afford good food?
>>
>>2114629
Think of a good food as an investment. Spend a lot on food = less health issues = spend less at the vet. Cheap food = health issues = spend more at the vet.

Also, make sure to analyze the amount you will need to feed them. I fed my dog Purita for a bit (it is what his foster gave him), and as volume, the Purita was twice what my current food is. So it may not be as much cheaper as you think!

Also the major cost is probably the canned. Consider dropping it or giving it as an occasional treat.
>>
File: Grad Cassie.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Grad Cassie.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2114633
its not that i cant afford it. I just assumed it would be a cheap to have a pet. Everytime i passed by a dog section in Walmart or any store, i would see 60lbs of food for only $20 bucks. so when Breeder told me to buy Blue buffalo or Taste of the wild, it threw me off guard.

>>2114634
will it be fine to just feed Dry? Dog is 10 months old.

Breeder told me to feed it Dry+wet in the morning and Dry only in the evening.
>>
File: jello pudding.jpg (290 KB, 926x897) Image search: [Google]
jello pudding.jpg
290 KB, 926x897
Some Royal Canin vet exclusive, she's been on it since she was little because Acana made her sick

We're switching her to an adult food in a week or two though since she's growing so fast the vet thinks she'll become overweight if she stays on a puppy mix, 9 months old and she's already 76 lbs, might try Acana again
>>
Taste of the Wild, Addiction, Nutrience grain free varieties, and Orijen. For wet food: Wellness Core, Primal, and NuTripe.

I'm thinking about trialling some Go! in the near future.
>>
>>2114614
I didn't know that. I'll try an steer clear of the lamb and see how she handles it.

Where is a good online place to buy Acana heritage? I called the pets shop again and try still don't have their supply of it yet. I don't want to pay Amazon prices but I also don't want to wait forever either.
>>
>>2114823
Chewy.com, comrade
>>
Blackhawk. My dog is fussy as fuck and hates dry shit so most of her meals are Blackhawk + steamed veggies and some time of meat whether it be chicken or kangaroo.

Once a week I cook an egg and mix it into her kibble.

I've tried Purina pro and Eukanuba and I just conceded to the fact she hates dry so I get her healthy shit at least.
>>
barf
>>
File: Wut.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Wut.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>2114954
you feed your dog barf?
whats the nutritional value of it?
is your dogs coat better?
>>
>>2114944

Why cook the egg?
>>
>>2114974
Yep, I rotate meats, organs and bones. Also throw in extras like eggs, veggies, green lipped mussel. salmon, coconut oil and he gets whole prey (rabbit) once a week or so. My vet told me he's got one of the best coats they've seen (even though he was flea covered at the time). I also get plenty of strangers telling me how shiny/soft he is.
>>
>>2114992
>My vet told me he's got one of the best coats they've seen
you can get the same results without all the bother by dumping olive oil on your dog and then brushing it out once a week.

just saying. If that's all you're getting out of it.
>>
>>2114997
They asked so I answered. I'm not feeding raw for a better coat lmao
>>
>>2114986
Some dogs can get rashes if raw and some go as far as to say it's bad for them. I dunno, Im just mitigating risk.
>>
>>2115000
I know. But when asked all I hear about is the luxuriant coat and compact poop, both of which probably don't mean much and one of which is usually a sign of disease.

but if it works for you I say stick with it.
>>
Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural. We also give him some meat most days, usually duck or beef. The occasional egg and veggies too.
>>
>>2114281
Kibbles and Bits

feeding your dog human food causes obesity and diabetes.

fuck that.
>>
File: 0.png (67 KB, 728x351) Image search: [Google]
0.png
67 KB, 728x351
>>2115031
I know you're trolling, but...
>>
File: P5040063 (800x600).jpg (208 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P5040063 (800x600).jpg
208 KB, 800x600
>>2115033
why would you think I'm trolling?

I feed my dogs K&B exclusively, and they're probably older and healthier than any others here.

while their age and health is probably not entirely because of their food, it certainly isn't hurting them.
>>
>>2115031
Define human food. Dogs are accustomed to eating bone and meat along with other leftovers. Would you feed a wolf kibbles and bits?
Also, you don't know how old and healthy my dog is.
>>
>>2115062
>Define human food
don't tell me what to do.
>Would you feed a wolf kibbles and bits?
afaik that's exactly what my local zoo feeds their wolves.

not that wolves and dogs have the same digestive system, but it's not my job to tell zookeepers how to feed wolves.
>>
>>2115031
>feeding your dog human food causes obesity and diabetes.
That's a really dumb way of phrasing that. It makes it sound like you're saying that dogs should only be fed food deemed unfit for human consumption.
>>
>tfw live in Canada
>tfw Acana and Orijen are cheaper here than in the U.S.
>tfw Acana comes out to only slightly more expensive than shit-tier dog foods on per calorie basis
>>
My vet told me these new grain/gluten free dog foods were a meme and were unhealthy for the dog because they have too much fat to provide enough calories. He suggested purina or iams because they have many food studies done and companies like blue buffalo wont even disclose their studie data to vet clinics
>>
>>2115703
>purina or iams

Enjoy your dogs dying prematurely from cancer after years of eating contaminated meat by-products.
>>
>>2115705
He said that meat byproducts by definition are typically organ meat and ground bone marrow and such which is actually very rich in essential vitamins and minerals. He said that it is more natural for an animal to eat the "meat byproduct" (organ meat) than to eat the multivitamin powders that the no byproduct foods need to put in their product.
>>
>>2115705
Can you provide a credible source for these claims?
>>
>>2115708
Pro tip: Good dog foods have named organ meats. They actually tell you what organ/cartilage of what animal they used in their food instead of saying "animal by-product," which could be anything.
>>
>>2115710
No by definition animal by product is the parts of the animal unfit for human consumption ie (organs). How about you do some basic fucking research before you post you stupid fucking shill. those expensive "high quality pet foods" that list the exact organs in the food are just painting the same car a different color and selling it at a premium to uninformed sheeple.
>>
>>2115711
>However, what makes some by-products edible (and others not) isn’t just a matter of what they are but how they’re handled after slaughter.

>For example, giblets not refrigerated immediately after slaughter but stored for up to 24 hours in a hot offal trailer cannot be sold for human consumption.

>Yet they can still be legally used for making pet food.

>Likewise, dead-on-arrival animals or other condemned parts that have been declared inedible and unfit for human consumption can still be used for making pet food.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/animal-by-products/

This is why you don't want blanket animal by-product meals.
>>
>>2115586
>It makes it sound like you're saying that dogs should only be fed food deemed unfit for human consumption.

that's what I was trying to say, so I think I did fine.
>>
Nature's variety instinct. I work at petco and get 40% off selected dog food.
>>
>>2115703
My vet also says this. They also say old dogs need next to no protein, that raw diets are incredibly bad for dogs, shill out Hills Science Diet like there is no tomorrow, and one of the two doctors supports vegan diets for dogs as acceptable nutrition.

Consult your vet for any questions you have regarding your animals health, but always take their opinions with a grain of salt. When in doubt, get multiple opinions.

Source: I work for a vet office.
>>
>>2115726
essentially ever opinion you listed is correct.

you're exactly the sort of retard that believes random bloggers instead of people that spent their adult lives studying the thing.

people like you generally get what they deserve.
>>
>>2115730
>implying vets know anything about nutrition

Just like in human medicine, vets only get a small amount of education in nutrition, and the vast majority of nutrition programs in US vet schools are sponsored by large kibble manufacturers. Even if the vet wanted to do her own research, she would not be able to find an unbiased peer-reviewed study because these are all sponsored by kibble manufacturers.

I have met many Clinical Nutritionists and they all say the same thing--based on their physiology, a raw or whole-food, meat-based diet is healthiest for carnivores like cats and dogs. Dogs can have up to 10% carbs in the form of puréed fruits and vegetables, but this is a far cry from the 60% carbs found in the average kibble, not to mention the extrusion process which effectively denatures any meat product found in kibble, making it more difficult for a pet to digest.

>>2115726
Senior dogs need more high-quality protein and less fat. As they age, some senior dogs lose the ability to produce certain enzymes which help maximize digestion of certain amino acids found in lower-quality (denatured) protein sources. This is why you see muscle wasting in older dogs.
>>
File: KS_CRV.jpg (43 KB, 476x480) Image search: [Google]
KS_CRV.jpg
43 KB, 476x480
4 Stars on Dog Food Advisor
>>
>>2115817
>science that disagrees with me is corrupt!
ok, smart one.
>>
>>2115717
Idiotic.

>>2115964
I suppose you also believe the Coca Cola sponsored studies that show there's no link between soda consumption and obesity.
>>
>>2116549
>I suppose you also believe
I don't "believe" science of any sort. I read it and I look for methodological errors.

I just think it's hilarious that all of the science that disagrees with you just happens to be corrupt.

what a coincidence!

I shouldn't be surprised though, all the science that disagrees with my creationist mom is also corrupt (damn evolutionists making billions off the sheeple!)

or my cousin, she's convinced all the science about fluoride and gmo's and vaccines is equally corrupt. You'd probably get along fine with her.
>>
What's the deal with raw vs kibble. If it works for your dog it works just leave eachother alone. Nothing good ever comes out of these dog food threads. Nobody learns anything, people are too eager to go at other's throats to prove themselves right.
>>
>>2115033
>all these bad facebook comments about adult moths/-larvae and black fur
I feel bad for the company, I think they really tried to be good...
>>
>>2116671
>I don't "believe" science of any sort
I suppose that would explain it, then.
>>
>>2116725

This pretty much.
These threads are always just excuse to have a dickwaving contest over fucking pet food of all things.

Control yourselves.
>>
>>2116752
>I suppose that would explain it, then
yes. You appeal to authority.

I am the authority you're appealing to so I already know you're full of shit.
>>
>>2116725
>>2116767
>stop enjoying things I don't like
why do you even bother posting?
>>
>>2114621
>when done correctly

That's the problem, most people don't fo it correctly. They look up some stupid recipie online and ONLY feed that without supplements, or they don't take their dog to the vet to check on how their health is coming along, or they feed fucking chicken leg bones that splinter and send their dog to the hospital.

It's a fad that people want to jump on without knowing what they are doing, but unlike the crappy cheap food that's lacking in nutrients, this diet has more of a possibility of killing your dog quickly.
>>
>tfw sanctimonious rawfag's dog dies from vitamin deficiency
>>
I just grab whatever dog food says "Senior" on it. The higher the number on it(ie, 8+, 10+, etc) the better.

One dog of mine is 12 and the other is 16.
>>
I want to feed homemade but it is very tricky to get it to be complete on the nutrition front.
Is it ok to feed half decently high quality kibble and half homemade?
>>
>>2118360
should be fine.

kibble is mostly just filler to make the animal feel full though. So if they don't eat lots of it they could still be missing out on some essential nutrients. Presumably the stuff they'd be missing is also the stuff you'd be providing in the diet you make though.
>>
>>2114281
peanut butter, he loves liking that and i love it too
>>
>>2114281
whats the point in buying that shitty delicious turkey in gravy cans of dog food? i can give him actual meat for that price
does dog really enjoy it more?
>>
>>2116768
>you should just wear a blindfold to the grocery store and grab a random bag of dog food because all science is a lie
>>
>>2118419
the science doesn't say what you think it does.
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 640x1136
>>
>>2118417

what shitty meat do you buy for $1/lb that you give your dog? tilapia scraps?
>>
File: 0c35404d63f2.jpg (628 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
0c35404d63f2.jpg
628 KB, 1024x768
>>2114281
Fresh meat. She sometimes goes and hunts for small birds like Sandgrouse and Quail. She's perfectly fine in health too.

pic related looks like my doge.
>>
>>2118448
So, she kills her family by being a retard?
>>
>>2118422
Which is why you just grab a bag blindfolded, because all science is lies.
>>
>>2118636
>because all science is lies.
or perhaps you can't read.

I tend to trust hundreds of thousands of scientists over the English comprehension of some 14 year old 4chan user.
>>
For anyone feeding raw, please please read this link. Raw (in theory) is amazing, but there simply isn't the scientific data to back it up right now and the evidence stacks against it.

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/evidence-based-nutrition-raw-diets/

That's written by a vet, with sources from loads of professional studies. Raw is an accident waiting to happen if you are feeding bones/feeding a non-nutrient checked home-made diet. The ONLY raw I would even suggest right now is the likes of Nature's diet's raw menu which has minced bone, is nutrient checked and goes the extra mile to ensure there's no parasites/bacteria in their food.
>>
>>2116671
>>2118657
>>2116768
>I don't "believe" science of any sort.
>I tend to trust hundreds of thousands of scientists
>You appeal to authority
>>
> Raw feeding
> Let me demonstrate how to give my dog salmonella, worms and other diseases

Modern meat is shit and needs to be cooked.
>>
>>2114680
The Go! is actually pretty decent. My dog has good energy levels on it, and he likes the taste.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.