[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are stray cats so weird /an/? First of all, why are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 2053328_orig.jpg (127 KB, 750x499) Image search: [Google]
2053328_orig.jpg
127 KB, 750x499
Why are stray cats so weird /an/?

First of all, why are they so wary of humans when they have no reason to be?

Also despite being weary of humans they do some pretty oddly brave things. For example I have a lot of stray cats in my area, and if I live my door open they will just walk in to my house. Pretty strange behavior if they're wary of humans.

And if I ever get them in my garden and I go outside, they will walk to within one metre of me, but every time I try and stroke them they will move back. Yet they wont run away scared, they keep coming back to within a metre of me until I try and stroke them again.

How do I befriend my local stray population /an/?
>>
Feed them. They may never let you pet them, but they'll at least be less wary of you. And if you're fond of them and are going to feed them, the kindest thing you can do for them is to get them spayed and neutered. My local TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program charges 20 bucks per cat. They even cover the cost if the person is too poor to pay.

Brace yourself for several /an/ posters who are about to charge in here foaming at the mouth. Some people REALLY hate stray/feral cats. Providing links to nationwide studies and comparisons of the different methods to control the feral cat population (spoiler: TNR is more effective than mass euthanizing) does nothing to sway them.
>>
>>2113849
This OP. My neighborhood had a shitload of strays and I used a similar program. Worked out great, they all became relatively tame too and let me pet them and pick them up.

Now they all just lie around my lawn being lazy shits.
>>
>>2113843
That's kittens. You can easily send them to a pet shop and they will take care of it.

Being around other cats that are human friendly will teach them.
>>
It is possible to tame them or some of them but former ferals will always be wary. I tamed a former feral after 10 years of trying, she loves pet and to cuddle but she is wary of strangers etc.
>>
File: IMG_4314.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4314.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Play wiggle rope with them
>>
File: 1382653110981.jpg (60 KB, 420x443) Image search: [Google]
1382653110981.jpg
60 KB, 420x443
>>2113843
>First of all, why are they so wary of humans when they have no reason to be?

Because unlike dogs, which have been inbred for thousands of generations into the slobbering idiots they all are, cats largely retain the genetic purity of their wild ancestors. Unless properly socialized at an early age they'll regress quite easily into the wildcat state of mind, where they'll stay for the rest of their lives.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.