[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just captured one of these hellish creatures in my room. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: Gejigeji.jpg (26 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
Gejigeji.jpg
26 KB, 450x337
I just captured one of these hellish creatures in my room. I moved in three months ago. I live directly under the attic and occasionally saw silverfish (two or three times, I captured them and released them), but when THIS THING crawled right next to me at the wall with incredible speed I lost my shit. Heard they eat silverfish, but I can't deal with this shit. Took me a lot of guts to capture it.

Now, should I get an exterminator? I figured I have to get rid of silverfish, which are house centipedes prey, to get rid of those creatures from hell. Anyone had experience with this stuff? What should I do?

I don't have money for an exterminator at the moment. I'm literally freaking out. (I hate arthropods so much.)
>>
File: dust mites.jpg (78 KB, 611x404) Image search: [Google]
dust mites.jpg
78 KB, 611x404
>>2112389
>(I hate arthropods so much.)
so how do you deal with knowing these things are crawling all over your face at night?
>>
>>2112389
>Calling an exterminator because you saw a single house centipede

How the fuck do you survive?
>>
File: chillin in ur follicle.jpg (95 KB, 500x541) Image search: [Google]
chillin in ur follicle.jpg
95 KB, 500x541
>>2112394
>forgetting to mention how they burrow into his follicles during daytime
The best part is that this is absolutely unavoidable. Any adult, no matter how healthy, and no matter how good personal hygiene he or she has, is guaranteed to have hundreds, if not thousands, of these bros living on their faces.
>>
>>2112394
>>2112403
I want to die.

>>2112395
I don't even know anymore.
>>
File: 1434189338445.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1434189338445.png
65 KB, 285x276
>>2112403
>tfw these assholes have hot gangbangs on your eyelashes every night while you cry yourself to sleep out of loneliness
>>
>>2112403
Aren't animals just the best?
>>
>centipede
>cent
>has like 20 legs
>>
>What should I do?
If you would have paid massive amounts of money for an exterminator just because of ONE centipede, and a harmless one at that, I suggest you might do better to spend such money in therapy first. Because there is no way to avoid arthropods in general. It's far easier (and way less expensive) to co-exist with these little bastards, and is even a pleasant lifestyle if you can manage to see how cute they are, and realize that you are now superior to the other screaming cowards who are wasting their money and sanity.

>Anyone had experience with this stuff?
I did think house centipedes were creepy some years ago. But having been convinced that they were in fact harmless I decided to let one run over my hand. Eventually that led to letting it run up my arm/back. The kicker was when I got one out of the sink, and while it was in my hand it stopped to clean its antennae, and you could see in its face that these things are totally friendly. The legs are no longer creepy, they're awesome.

The one thing about your story that's completely fucked is that you would catch and release silverfish. Not that they're cute too, but they WILL eat your books, artwork, papers, clothing etc. I'd rather have the centipedes even if I was scurred of them because they ARE exterminators, and they work for free.
>>
>>2112389
> KILL IT WITH FIRE
>>
It looks like an over sized house centipede. If it is, there is nothing to worry about. They eat other insects and are very territorial, so there should be only 1 or 2 in your house at any given time.

I think I'm wrong though, this thing is huge.
>>
My cat hunts these motherfuckers for fun and eats them.

They are lightning fast but apparently my cat is faster.

Fuckin nature man.
>>
>>2112412
My sides
Oh God Top kek
>>
File: nativebeeresting1.jpg (417 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
nativebeeresting1.jpg
417 KB, 800x585
>>2112706
Glad to see I'm not the only person who would take this approach.

Insects are cute and an encounter with one is so rarely harmful, let alone fatal.
>>
why do they have that many legs tho? what's the advantage of that?
>>
>>2112389
Buy a bug bomb and set it off in your attic, those things like dark places I hear.
And with less food they'll leave your home alone, at least eventually.
Make sure you keep your home/apartment clean if you wish to avoid any uninvited guests of any kind, honestly. I don't live in an area where these things are common so, I don't have personal experience. I'm just giving a fellow anon who doesn't like things in their home some advice.
>>
>>2112403
/me dunks face in boiling water

>>2112706
I'm trying to reach the conclusion that centipedes are just cute, but they're still the worst combination of like a snake and a spider. Neither of which I am afraid of. The fact that they're lightning fast and always zipping into my line of vision from the peripheral is what's most frightening.

Like, spiders aren't my favorite, but most of them are chilling in the corner somewhere, or moseying along at a casual pace. An encounter with a centipede is like thinking you're looking at a dust bunny gliding across the floor, then you realize it's actually alive.

>>2112389
For some reason I doubt that's a house centipede proper. It looks like a related species, but the color, size, and leg length seem off.

Based on the image name, seems like the Japanese variant, which, unlike the American counterpart, has the ability to jump.
>>
>>2112403
they dont burrow into the skin
>>
File: arthropleura-size.jpg (87 KB, 472x354) Image search: [Google]
arthropleura-size.jpg
87 KB, 472x354
arthropods are awesome.

house centipedes suck tho.

it doesn't make sense to me to keep 'em around to eat smaller bugs; even more prolific ones.

it's like arguing we should introduce large, hairy spiders to eat the small, benign ones.
>>
>>2113074
Please read my post again, anon. I never suggested that they burrowed into your skin, but rather, into your hair follicles, as shown in the pic.
>>
>>2113098
let me believe
>>
I fucking hate these things. I know they're harmless and clear pests and shit, but these things are unnerving and huge.

I wouldn't mind them if they stay about the size of a fingernail at most, but these shits grow as long as my fingers and always glide along the floor and walls late at night come pleasant late Spring/Summer days, usually after it rains.

I've come to despise the evenings during these seasons, set up sticky traps and spray poison along the perimeter of spots I hate seeing the the most (the bathroom specifically), and just in general keep shit off the floor and away from walls. Also turn on the lights because they prefer the dark and are somewhat more discouraged in running out from dark corners compared to a dimly lit room.

Maybe I'm just a fucking faggot, but I had a bad experience with huge as shit bugs and insects, and these things never invaded my house until about 6-7 years ago
>>
>>2113083
It'sa shame those things are not around anymore, we could have trained them to carry us around, like some sort of skateboard.
>>
>>2112389
I suggest you use your fists if you're low on funds.
You can also wear shoes to stomp them to death.
>>
File: Drowned One.jpg (73 KB, 588x456) Image search: [Google]
Drowned One.jpg
73 KB, 588x456
>>2112389
Is that what these are based on?
>>
>>2113109
I know all of your feels.

Last house I lived in, these motherfuckers thrived. Any evening during Spring/Summer I was on edge, wondering if I'd run into one, how big it would be, and if I'd catch it resting or if it would be on the run.

>chilling one Summer evening
>huge centipede appears
>scurries along the corners
>flattens itself and slips under wall
>week later
>open bedroom closet
>seemingly same centipede on closet wall
>get bug spray
>come back
>centipede gone
>carefully wait by closet door, intending to kill it if/when it inevitably emerges
>centipede emerges from wall next to me instead

Thankfully, where I live now, they're far rarer. Even though I only live about five miles away. I almost never see them, and when I do, it's usually in the basement, garage, or downstairs bathroom. Never once seen them on the second floor of the house.

I can also corroborate that they're nocturnal as fuck and seem to actively run from light.
>>
>>2112412
Excellent post
>>
>>2112462
r u stupid my friend
>>
>>2112403
>guaranteed
Not even close. A good amount of people have them though. You -probably- do, but might not.

OP honestly just get over it. They're harmless.
If you want to massively improve your life, capture one, and keep it in a container for a few weeks/months as a pet. It's almost guaranteed to get you over your fear of them because after a while you're going to realize they aren't actually dangerous and be used to seeing them.

Wouldn't it be nice to put in a few days/weeks of being afraid to never have to worry about these anxieties again? Exposure therapy works fucking wonders.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 220x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 220x160
>>2113109
>I had a bad experience with huge as shit bugs and insects
Same here.
>be 9-10 years old, come back inside from front yard
>feels like there was a piece of tree bark stuck on my shirt, try to brush it off
>HAHA NO, it's a female crane fly with a body the size of my little finger
>surprised, of course, I flinch back, but lose my balance and my head hits my bedroom door
>piece of shit ended up flying back outside
Crane flies are now worse than spiders to me, because at least spiders don't fucking fly.
I recently learned crane flies came from Europe, and their larvae eat plant matter, dead or alive. Apparently they can, or did, fuck up crops across the pond. Fuck crane flies.
They're stupid as shit, too. They aren't afraid of people, they'll dumbly fly into people whenever.
>>
>>2113546
And when I saw little finger, I mean now, not then.
>>
>>2113546
European here. I've never heard anything about crane flies ruining crops. It's also pretty pathetic of an animal that can't hurt you. Did you know that a gentle gust of wind is enough to break the legs of a crane fly? That's how fragile and harmless they are.

I think they're pretty chill.
>>
>>2113547
>It's also pretty pathetic of an animal that can't hurt you.
to be afraid of*
>>
> at least spiders don't fucking fly.
If only you knew how wrong you are, anon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballooning_(spider)
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.