[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best dog breed for first time dog owners?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 1409436045135.jpg (373 KB, 640x854) Image search: [Google]
1409436045135.jpg
373 KB, 640x854
What's the best dog breed for first time dog owners?
>>
What kind of traits are you specifically looking for?
>>
File: IMG_20160425_155408.jpg (662 KB, 1520x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_155408.jpg
662 KB, 1520x1520
I just got this a first dog for my sisters.
It's a mini poodle.
>>
>>2112369
Playful, loving, cuddly, cheers you up, loves being both outside and inside, doesn't take ridiculous amount of exercise, takes training well. I'd be OK with any size just not giant.
>>2112375
Gorgeous af. What is it like? Is this as big as it gets?
>>
>>2112368
all dog breeds are essentially the same.

little dogs have more energy, big dogs have less. Other than that they're all dogs.
>>
>>2112368

A retired racing greyhound.
>>
>>2112383
Probably a chihuahua
>>
>>2112391
Anything but that. Lil bastards are annoying and easy to get angry imo
>>
a well socialized older adult mutt
>>
>>2112383
That's not what they look as adults. They also tend to be happy and super aggressive
>>
>>2112398
Yappy*
>>
Mutts mutts mutts mutts mutts

Go to the shelter and let one steal your heart.
>>
Purebred dogs are retarded, my last dog was a mutt that had run away and been living in the streets. He knew how to use crosswalks and was easy to teach all the obedience commands. All this being said DO NOT just get a dog off the streets, they could have anything and I got lucky, go to the shelter and get a mutt, it will be smarter and healthier than a purebred
>>
Not a puppy, just go to a shelter and find one adult that looks happy to see you.

A mutt will be healthier and easier to train.

Also a medium to big breed is better if you have the space. More calm, more friendly.
>>
Can't you mutt people be a bit more specific? What mixes?
>>
>>2112602
..dog?
>>
>>2112602
A pupper / doggo mix.
>>
>>2112602
By definition, you can't say what mix a mutt is.
>>
>>2112602

You're missing the point.

These guys are saying stop picking a specific breed. Go to a shelter and find a dog that seems lovely.

If you want the definition of a good dog you can't go past labs/goldens. Even with the worst trainers in the world they're still gentle idiots.
>>
>>2112645
>Even with the worst trainers in the world they're still gentle idiots.
this is horribly inaccurate. we've had to euthanize a lot of labs for aggression towards humans, and the golden my childhood friend had was ordered to be euthanize because he mauled a kid in the neighborhood. got a nice scar on my leg from a black lab that bit my leg because he didn't like me examining his paw

no breed is exempt from aggression
>>
>>2112602

Avoid high energy dogs like cattle dogs and collies and basically anything from Australia.

German shepard mixes and lab mixes are basically always great dogs. Boxers are pretty chill. I've never met a bad Pitt bull, only chill and loyal Pitts but I know it can be a crap shoot getting one from a shelter.

If you are looking for the easier dog, I would say lab mix.
>>
>>2112602
shih tzu, bishon, pug mix, maybe an ex racing greyhound i think i'd recommend.. a dumb but personable sort.. i'm more of a terrier person myself, but they're awfully smart and challenging for most first time dog owners
>>
File: 138767345763.gif (1 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
138767345763.gif
1 MB, 300x168
Any low-key mutt that's over two years old and doesn't piss or shit in the house.
>>
>>2112393
They are actually really good dogs if you treat them like a regular dog and not like a damn baby.

I would go for the larger size chihuahuas though, as the tiny, teacup one's usually have a shit ton of health problems. Chihuahua mixes are usually pretty good too, and the nice thing is that most shelters have a lot of them. So you could meet quite a few, they are easy to control on walks if you want to take them outside the shelter to see how they deal without the stress of a kennel, and they are perfect cuddle buddies when you need one. Plus the size is nice for saving you on food bills.
>>
>>2112602
Fuck off. Saying mutt is like saying nigger.
>>
>>2112368
Mixed from the dog pound/shelter
>>
>>2112388
Biggest mistake we ever made. Don't do it.
>>
>>2113126
not that anon but I'm curious, why? they seem like the option for people who are too moral for breeders but too pretentious for a pound mutt
>>
>>2112782
Wouldn't it be better to get a puppy so you you can train them easier?
>>
>>2112603
>>2112624
>>2112640
>>2112645
Then that's retarded. How would you accurately predict what personality it would grow into if you don't know the breed?
>>
>>2113148

Ours was riddled with anxiety. 4th of July was torture for both the dog and us. Any kind of high pitched sound would send her into tremors. Whined ALL day unless you had your hand on her body. As soon as you took it off, she began crying and barking again. Fell down the stairs once and refused to go up or down stairs from that day on. Had to live downstairs after that when we spent most of our time upstairs. It was not a good experience. Loved her, but it was rough.
>>
>>2113159
No. Puppies teethe. Puppies bite fingers. Puppies, with their massive curiosity, chew electric cables that first time owners forget to put out of reach. Adult dogs from rescue groups/shelters sont have these problems and might even be fully trained already.
>>
File: 1271627011473.jpg (39 KB, 200x196) Image search: [Google]
1271627011473.jpg
39 KB, 200x196
>>2113350
>How would you accurately predict what personality it would grow into if you don't know the breed?
>>
>>2113148

Racing greyhounds are not raised affectionately and don't normally form typical dog/owner relationships. They are very chill and low maintence, but if you want a dog that is going to be super bonded and loyal they aren't a good choice.

I personally love them and like providing a quiet, comfy home for their retirement
>>
>>2113350
By meeting it. Literally the exact same thing you would do when picking out a purebred (unless the breeder is especially pretentious and picks the purebred for you.
>>
>>2113417
What don't you get? If you don't know what breeds it's mixed from, the behavior can be hard to predict.

>>2113432
>dogs behave exactly the same in the pound as they do in a home
Okay.
>>
>>2113444
cause every dog has its own personality
>go to shelter and see two goldens next to each other
>one is incredibly timid
>the other comes right up to great me
>thats the one I adopted and the dog and I were happy for the rest of its days.
>>
Poodles, Poodle mixes, Papillons, Boxers, and depending on who you ask, Labs and Goldens.
>>
>>2113460
>and the dog and I were happy for the rest of its days.
>until it dies 50 years before me
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.