[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/. I usually frequent /k/ and /fit/ but I'm about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: MI0001967923.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0001967923.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
Hi /an/. I usually frequent /k/ and /fit/ but I'm about to move out since I'm going to dental school and I wanted a very fast doggo running at incredibl hihg speds for a companion since I'll be living alone.

I want to adopt from a shelter since if I can help prevent at least one dog from getting killed, it'd be pretty cool. But I've heard it can be a hassle to adopt from a shelter and lots of people get rejected. How do I avoid getting rejected? I want a dog either way but I don't think I want to buy one from a breeder because it's kind of cost prohibitive and there's a dog on death row somewhere.
>>
Fast for how long?
>>
File: 81TPF05.jpg (23 KB, 533x335) Image search: [Google]
81TPF05.jpg
23 KB, 533x335
>>2112241
I was just throwing some dank memes around. I really need a small (under 30lb) dog since I'll be living in a studio apartment.
>>
>>2112247
Personal recommendation: cairn terrier. They're the best.

Just be honest about your circumstances when you're talking to the people at a rescue or shelter. It helps to have a vet lined up, but don't go buying a bunch of stuff until you actually have a dog picked out. Different breeds need different merch.
>>
It's not going to be a hassle adopting from a shelter, trust me, especially if it's from a humane society. A lot of those places are overbooked and need to get rid of dogs before they get euthanized, so they will pretty much take anyone who can feed and house an animal.

Now, that being said, the fact that you're going to be entering dental school worries me. If you want a high strung dog for exercising and working out, make sure you also have enough time during the day to take it out as well. I've seen too many med and dent students with dogs that they've gotten for that reason - and they ultimately can't keep up anymore when things get too busy.

A lot of the shelter dogs will be mutts anyway, so if you wanted an energetic dog, probably get something that looks like a cattle dog. Take some dogs out for a few test runs around the shelter and see how they work with you. A lot of the dogs from the shelter are also strays or relinquished dogs that irresponsible owners never trained, so be prepared for that. You will have to work with leash training your dog.
>>
>>2112230
Get a tibetan terrier, they've got a lot of personality and they're really cute.
>>
Fair warning, someone's gonna try to push a pit bull on you.
>>
get a pitbull, they're very protective and good family dogs if you raise them right!
>>
>>2112463

Theyre probally the least man aggresive breed out there...
>>
>>2112463
>>2112474
bait
>>
File: 1304311862335.jpg (39 KB, 401x600) Image search: [Google]
1304311862335.jpg
39 KB, 401x600
>>2112302
To be honest I don't want a high strung dog because I never do cardio lmao. I'll walk him daily but I'm not looking for a super athletic dog. Just a smallish, smart dog.

I was thinking a dachshund or a beagle or something. As long as I can train it to be somewhat quiet since I'll be living in an apartment and all. This is my first dog so trainability is probably a big factor.
>>
>>2112230
A 501(c)3 shelter is pretty easy to adopt from, HOWEVER a lot of the excess dogs that no one adopted for weeks are special need cases which they may discourage you from. So if you keep going to check out dogs and keep seeing and falling in love with the same one, don't be discouraged if they won't let you adopt.

Rescues can be more strict, and is usually what people are talking about when they say you need to be 25 or older, not have a job, etc. Not all rescues are like this, you should check them out anyways. Cool thing about breed rescues is they are very honest about the breed, they Don't sugar coat it.

Be wary though, rescues don't legally need to qualify for 501(c)3 to call themselves a rescue. Hoarders, puppy mills, breeders, and other scum can call themselves a rescue.
>>
>>2112493
Training to be quiet is actually very difficult to do, and many hounds are big Barkers. Keep In mind that when it comes to shelter dogs, take the dog as an individual and not as a breed because even if it looks exactly like X breed, it may be crossed and act like another breed, or poorly bred and not have the breed temperament
>>
>>2112493
Beagles are shit. Dumb and stubborn.
>>
>>2112517
what about a jack russell terrier
>>
>>2112522
VERY HYPER. Never met one that wasn't a total asshole.
>>
>>2112493
Both dachs and beagles are horrible to train. Hounds are infamously stubborn retards. If you want smart, do NOT go with a hound. Just don't no do not.
>>
>>2112545
>Hounds are infamously stubborn retards
i figured working/hunting dogs would be smart since they were bred for a job
>>
>>2112636
They were bred to pigheadedly run after scents while barking no matter what, that's about it
>>
>>2112230
>studio apartment
>dental school

these things alone wouldn't bother me, but together they make a hard life for a dog. you should probably wait, OP. how often are you home? even a small dog will become neurotic and lonely.
>>
File: goofy-dog-pictures.jpg (42 KB, 500x526) Image search: [Google]
goofy-dog-pictures.jpg
42 KB, 500x526
>>2112704
I was planning on seeing how my first 2 or 3 months of school goes before committing to a dog. I'm just throwing around some ideas right now. I love animals. Last thing I would want is to get a dog and make it have a shitty life.
>>
File: image.png (81 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
81 KB, 800x750
>>2112461
>>2112463
>>
>>2112716
are you in the city or suburbs? is your community dog-friendly (are there restaurants with patios that welcome dogs, are there many pet supply stores, etc.)? is there a well-maintained dog park near where you live? how far do you have to go to find grass for your dog to pee/poop in? are you the type of person who can work all day and then come home and immediately go out with friends, or do you value time to decompress and unwind alone? is the campus you go to dog-friendly? how much time will you be gone during the day JUST for school and work, not counting the work you might bring home or the extra work functions you may have to attend?

these are all things that will impact a dog's quality of life. I have a dog in a small apartment and I both work and go to school, but I only work part-time and I only go to school for night classes. I ended up very lucky in terms of how I'm able to spend my money and how much free time I have to dedicate to my dog. once I get a "real" full-time job in my field, I'll be gone more, but that will also come with the ability to buy a house with a yard. plus my spouse and I will live together, so someone may come home earlier to be with him. by the time that happens, though, he'll have grown a little more and be able to handle alone time better.

I got really lucky and got a pup at just the right time--in the middle-late stage of getting my shit together. it seems like you're at the beginning stage.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.