[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Useful potted plant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: damaged.jpg (77 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
damaged.jpg
77 KB, 500x334
I want to put a potted plant on my patio, so I have somewhere I can empty my dog's water bowl every day and not get dog hair in my sink. I would prefer to have a plant that has some sort of use.

It could be any use. Tea, fruit/veg, medicinal etc. It can be any type of plant that can live in a pot. The pot can be up to 2-3 feet in diameter, so it doesn't have to be small. It can't be a tree that will grow more than 8 feet. Must be non-toxic to dogs and cats. I live in California, if that helps you consider what will grow well here. I will water it more than a dog bowl's worth of water if that is what is required, so don't take that into consideration.

What would you choose, given the guidelines?
>>
>>2111559
>I live in California

California has a crazy USDA zone map compared to many other states.
http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-california-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php

Whereabouts? or you could just find your zone in the link and let us know?
>>
Without knowing your exact weather my thoughts would go immediately toward herbs or a succulent (i.e. aloe)
>>
>>2111566

South Bay Area

Besides tomatoes, are there any fruits and vegetables that would do well in the specified conditions?
>>
Basil, chives and oregano are some herbs that are quite useful and pretty damn hardy. Chili plants might also be an option.
>>
>>2111614

Ooh chives is a good suggestion. I definitely like cooking with chives.
>>
>>2111559
Wouldn't watering it every day drown the plant?

>It can't be a tree that will grow more than 8 feet.
Some apple trees stay smaller than that.
>>
Any other suggestions for something a little bigger?
>>
>>2111773
Berry bush? How much sun does your patio get?
>>
>>2111770
>Wouldn't watering it every day drown the plant?

It would depend on a variety of things. Some big bushy plants with large leaf area in tiny pots suck water very quickly, and the humidity and temperature also come into play (and the list goes on... drainage... etc...)

But I'd completely agree, if they don't need additional water every day, they don't need to be watered every day, and it can even hurt them in some cases.
>>
>>2111777

Pretty decent amount of sun. During daylight hours it gets maybe half sun half shade. I do have a corner that is all shade if I got a species that needs a lot of shade. What kind of berries would grow well?
>>
>>2111852
any if you watch soil ph.

blackberries raspberries and blueberries and strawberries need acid in the soil, from pine needles and such.
>>
>>2111869
Not OP, but how do you test soil pH?
>>
File: 640px-6H-Lambs-quarter.jpg (135 KB, 640x898) Image search: [Google]
640px-6H-Lambs-quarter.jpg
135 KB, 640x898
>>2111788
Holy basil likes water every day, Basil does during summer, especialy.

>>2111917
If it is brown dripping when you it wring out a moist clump then you can assume acidic.

The more organic materal, leaves wood that you see and the more woodsy scented it is, the more you can assume acidic.

If it is a plant that is acidic, that you wanna keep acidic, mix cold coffee in with the water it recieves sometimes. Also keep a cheapo-wine bottle of iron/rusty nails filled with rainwater, as it makes the raingod happy and supplies the plants with soluble iron irons when supplied in capful doses to make greener(healthier) leaves.

A version of the nail thing can also be done with urine, and supplied monthly for small plants, weekly for fast growers in small doses.

here's a good rule of thumb bout soil.

Pine needles (high acid)
Fresh spaghnum (high acid)

bonemeal (alkaline)
seashells (alkaline)
Gravel (sometimes alk, check by putting rock in vinegar, and watching for fizz if the rock disappears in the vinegar, or shrinks, then it is not safe for potting blueberries, or planting them.

If you have gravelly sandy soil, cactuses do well, or spinach or lambs quarters(quinoa)
>>
OP here, bought chives, dill, basil and strawberries. Thanks bros.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.