[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: poodle-awesome.jpg (88 KB, 461x642) Image search: [Google]
poodle-awesome.jpg
88 KB, 461x642
Post about dogs here
>>
File: IMG_20160428_190605.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160428_190605.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
Went to see some puppies yesterday to test allergies and see how the breeder was. Still allergic to dogs. :(
>>
>>2111482
So cute!
>>
How long does it generally take a dog to learn a new trick? I'm dogsitting every weekday, and I'm trying to teach the dog to shake, but he doesn't seem to get it. Half the time he lies down when I give the shake command. I show him what to do every time.

I know he's not unteachable, he knows sit, stay, and come, and I taught him to respond to a hand sign for sit.

I also need help getting him to walk nicely on the leash, he pulls everywhere, and if he sees a person he sits down and refuses to move until that person pets him.
>>
Is wet food better than dry?
>>
>>2112942
In general, yes. As long as it's meat-based.
>>
File: WetPuss.jpg (80 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
WetPuss.jpg
80 KB, 960x720
He got his first bath today.

Screamed like he was dying.

Gave himself hiccups.

Is cute.
>>
>>2112942

Raw diet is best followed by premium kibble, ie acana or orijen. Most wet food is crap.
>>
Why does my dog smell so DANK when he sleeps? He smells normal otherwise.
>>
>>2112935
>show him what to do
Shake his hand and give him a treat and say shake. Do this three times and then hold your hand out and say shake. He should at least paw you.

>walk nicely
Teach him to heel. Pull back lightly twice whenever he walks in front of you. If he sees a person don't coax him like a beta bitch, if you're on a walk YOU lead and YOU decide when and where to go. Hold a pungent treat akin to a carrot and stick device. If he keeps pulling literally turn around and walk the other way, he's on the leash, not you.
>>
>>2112935
>I also need help getting him to walk nicely on the leash
I """"taught"""" my dog 'c'mon!'. If he pulls, I stop, and say 'C'mon!!!' until he comes back to me. If he doesn't I give the leash I a tug until he snaps out of his trance.

Our walkies are different though. He is retarded, so I only expect him not to pull. We walk about until he finds a spot he wants to sniff, I let him sniff till he gets his fill, then we keep walking.
>>
My pupper is only 8 1/2 weeks old and I -think- I thought him sit, but it's hard to tell. He may just sit automatically whenever he feels like it and I just so happen to say "Sit" a millisecond before he does it.

It's hard to tell because I'm trying to teach him his name and Down but he doesn't seem to pay me any mind at all. Like, his ears don't even swivel in my direction, but I know he's not deaf because he responds to the dish washer and cars and stuff.
>>
>>2113290
>He should at least paw you
He doesn't. I've been doing essentially that, over and over again, all last week. Sometimes he'll look at me, lift his paw half an inch, then put it down. Other times he just lies down and stares at me. I'm suspicious that he knows what to do, but refuses to do it.

I can be more firm on walks. I've been trying to teach him "heel" and "leave it," but it's been difficult to get him to do anything, so I gave up a few times.
>>
>>2112935
I'm having a similar problem with teaching my dog to crawl forward on his stomach. He keeps thinking I want him to roll over or lie on his side.
>>
File: 1375159936752.jpg (9 KB, 300x158) Image search: [Google]
1375159936752.jpg
9 KB, 300x158
>>2113200
>Puppy hiccups
>>
>>2113339
Leash training is the hardest. Does he have a tug rope? If so, bring that with on the walks. When the dog finds something interesting to sniff or sees another person and sits down, get his attention with the rope and play some tug. Get him to take his attention away from what ever has his interest. Just don't use treats proper. He'll quickly figure out that if he just sits down and doesn't move, he'll get a treat out of it.

If he's pulling and trying to walk too fast it's same basic concept. Get his attention on you. Play a little tug while walking. Change directions often. Pretty much keep the dog guessing before the leash starts to get tight. Takes time and patience, but so does everything else dog.
>>
>>2113217
>Raw diet is best

NO IT'S NOT

Goddamnit, when is this fucking fad going to die?
>>
>>2113393
But dogs are WILD ANIMALS YO. It's not like someone took them out of the wild and genetically modified them!
>>
>>2113376
My pupper does the opposite of tugging.

Unless he sees a person he'll want to run for them to get told he's cute and get pettings.

Otherwise he'll take 5 steps and then stop and sit and refuse to budge.

It's really annoying.
>>
>>2113400
Still, the rope will help with that. I mean I hate to discourage a dog from getting pets. That just seems cruel. Still, sounds like it would get old fast on walks. Get him to play tug. Bounce around and be exciting. Once the dog's attention is back, give lots of praise and pets then get back on your way.

Still.. seems cruel to deny a dog pets. I mean jesus.
>>
>>2113408
>That whole fucking post

Man. I need to stop playing with the puppy while trying to type. You get what I mean though.
>>
>>2113409
I actually DON'T deny him pets from random people when honestly I should.
>>
File: IMG_20160416_151333.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_151333.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
How long does it take to get over the death of a dog?
I got Brutus when I was 3 back in 2000, we had to put him down on the 16th last month. I've been really bored and sad since, nothing is really fun anymore, I just come home workout and go to bed.
I haven't cried since we buried him but tonight I did again. I just don't get it, I've never had someone close to me die, I just want him back but I know he's really gone

This is a picture of the day he left us. I've been trying to get over it but I just can't. If someone has any advice please let me know, I know I sound like an emotional baby but I've really been hurting these past weeks
>>
>>2113397
I wouldn't even care if people fed raw, but they are so stupid about it!

>Hurdur this ingredient list that I haven't checked over with a vet says how much organ meat to give them! Just give raw 'soft' bones to chew on!

No you fucking idiots, bones are BONES, they are never 'soft', and it doesn't matter if it's raw, it WILL splinter.
>>
What is /an/'s opinion on rehoming fees?

My dog died recently, I loved him for 14 years. I was looking into listings online for needy, older dogs and most people in my area moving or want to get rid of their dog are requesting 500 dollars or more for it. To me it sounds like an excuse to get back the money they spent on the fog in the first place.
>>
>>2113425
Rehoming fees are stupid like that. It's because if they were selling the dogs they would need to get permits or blah blah blah. 90% of 'rehoming' fees is just code for 'Selling'.

Now I think something like a 100 dollar rehoming fee is totally legit. Someone isn't going to get a dog on a whim and cough up 100 dollars then get rid of the dog two weeks later because it's too much work. I can totally get behind remoming fees or adoption fees for that purpose. But no. When you see 'rehoming' fee on Craig's List, it just means they are selling the dog in all but name.
>>
File: standardpoodlesf3.jpg (30 KB, 350x226) Image search: [Google]
standardpoodlesf3.jpg
30 KB, 350x226
I will be getting a standard poodle puppy from a breeder when I move to a new apartment and am doing a ton of research on them.

Does anyone have any specific tips about poodles versus other dog breeds?
>>
>>2113433
Poor puppers. I bet most get sent to the spca in the end anyway.
>>
>>2113393

Im talking about suppliers who specifically cater to raw food for dogs. I know rogue royalty does in Australia.
>>
>>2111481

>Tfw had a really awesome poodle
>18 years old
>Died earlier this year

:(
>>
>>2113450
Their tight curly hair stinks like hell when they emerge from their favorite lake. They are incredibly smart and awesome. People who go up to you get the privilege of being correct when they complement you on your "cute poodle". You don't ever have to face the eternal struggle of "no he's not a poodle he's a _______" that owners of every other curly-haired breed face.

On that note, my golden retriever was once called a chocolate lab. A CHOCOLATE lab.
>>
>>2113200
mine screamed when I took him to the self-serve dogwash with a hose/showerhead combo

he didn't scream if I had him at home in the tub with a cup of water to rinse him with

he still screams for the hairdryer though
>>
What's a cheap but good dog food?
>>
>>2113667
>Cheap
>Good
>>
>>2113681
Nature's Variety Instinct is too expensive for me.
>>
>>2113683
Then buy a good food and net it out somewhere else.

There is no good, cheap food.
>>
>>2113574
They are performance dogs, first and foremost.If they don't regularly have a job, they will find a job, likely something you will not like.

And be ready for everyone to assume you have a "Doodle"
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Was the cdc right? Is my baby more prone to fatal attacks?
>>
>>2113780
What breed is your dog
>>
>>2113782
It's a "lab mix" (we don't know who dad is) but I'm pretty sure it's rottie
>>
>>2113780
Obviously an ultra violent pitbull/rott mix. Put it down immediately.
>>
>>2113796
D:
>>
>>2113796
rip pupper ;_;7
>>
>>2113425
"rehoming" is not a word
it is pc faggotry
you want money for your animal, whatever your reasoning. you are selling it. bottom line. i am not against this in any way, but lets call a spade a spade, yeah?
>>
>>2112935
Update on this: Dog still won't shake consistently. Did it once out of the fifty times I asked him. I made a huge deal of it and petted him a lot, gave him a treat, but he still didn't do it again.

Walking better on the leash today, switched from a harness to a collar. The only hiccup was when he saw another dog, I had a lot of trouble pulling him away. For the most part, a couple of gentle tugs and "come" were enough when he got distracted. He pulled less than he did previously.

His owners are starting him in training classes, not sure if they've already started or if I'm just having success on my own.
>>
>>2113561
'_'7
goodnight, sweet prince

>>2113574
i had someone refer to my doberman (red at that) as a great dane. less of a stretch than thinking a golden is a chocolate lab, but still made me facepalm

>>2113667
dont skimp on the food. you wouldnt want someone to feed you mcdonalds every day, would you? dont do your dog like that. hustle up a few extra bucks and feed him properly.

>>2113780
this thing is clearly vicious and bloodthirsty
>>
>>2113425
I like the idea, as long as it's not too expensive. The idea behind it is that you want whoever's claiming your dog to actually be able to afford a dog. It's a test of financial stability. If someone doesn't want to pay a rehoming fee, it's a warning sign that that person is po' as fuck. You want your dog to go to someone who is in a stable enough situation that they can take the dog to the vet.

Of course, people abuse it and just use "rehoming fee" as another word for "price" to get past CL flags and sell an animal. But I like the basic idea of it, I wouldn't give an animal to someone that I suspected of being unable to care for that animal.

I think a rehoming fee of however much you paid for the dog's vaccinations or misc. vet expenses that year is fair.
>>
There is no sticky here so i have few questions
I have puppey now. Around 2 months old.
I live in house with garden but
1.How to teach dog to tell me he need to piss? or learn him piss in marked place?
2.He is quite active dog, any ideas how keep him busy? I sometimes cant spend time with him, i tried bones and shit but he get bored quickly.
Thanks /an/
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>2113848
1. Get a string of bells to hang on or near the door like pic related. Ring them whenever you take him outside, then encourage him to start ringing them with his nose.

2. Elk antlers are great. If you have satellite service, there is a channel called Dog TV made to hold their interest. This treat dispensing toy is great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EE1660O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1462214637&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=orbee+dog+toys&dpPl=1&dpID=31nxnObKM7L&ref=plSrch
>>
>got me self a high drive puppy
>thought all those warning about their energy are overestimating them
>thought nothing would change

Holy fucking jesus christ, this puppy is the fucking devil, nigger would bite LITERALLY everything, and has a special liking to human calves, this runt is active the most at night, is this how HD puppies are supposed to be?

[spoiler]I like it[/spoiler]
>>
>>2113667
Iams lamb and rice at walmart has the highest rating at dogfoodadvisor.com and an average/low price. It's what I'm gonna start feeding my pups after I'm through with the Purina One lamb and rice.
>>
>>2113667
>>2113881
And by highest rating I mean highest rating from cheaper dog foods available at Walmart.

Pure Balance lamb or bison is my next step, but I'll do that the day I get a real job.
>>
Help me /an/.

My dumbass bought a dog off Craigslist because it was cheap.

The guy I got it from had it a week and got sick of it. He gave me the name of the couple he bought it from, and when I called they informed me that both parents are mid-high content wolf hybrids.

We all know wolf hybrids are shit, and should be avoided, but I am stuck with him now. How do I make her less shit as it grows up? She has a decent disposition right now, but I am told that changes at 6 months.

I thought I was buying a husky shepherd cross.
>>
>>2113903
Unless you get a genetic testing done, it is a husky/shepard cross. 99% of people who say a dog is a wolf hybrid are full of shit.
>>
>>2113916

I hope so, it just bothered me that they told me it was when the guy I bought it from said it wasn't.
>>
>>2113916
Yep, most people who claim to have a hybrid are full of shit.
If you see any unusual behavior crop up you can always go to a vet or get some testing done, but most likey it will be just a normal pup.
>>
>>2113919
Well, you yourself acknowledged you were a dumasdog for buying a dog off Craigslist. Now you see why.
>>
Sometimes my dog takes a mouthful of dry dog food outside, other times I see it munching on the food, usually several days later. What does my dog mean by that? Why does it do it?
>>
got a rental car for a while. They have a no rental policy for understandable reasons.

Bad idea to take my dog, who is uncomfortable with (some) strangers, on a Lyft to go to the dog park?
>>
>>2115248
errr no DOG policy
>>
File: cENyfAi.jpg (567 KB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
cENyfAi.jpg
567 KB, 2322x4128
I used to have one doggo, but now I have two doggos
My carpets and rugs will never be the same
>>
I have a toy poodle love her so much.
>>
>>2115272
Neither will your fat dog.
>>
>>2115287
That was uncalled for. Neither of them are fat, the one on the right is just big
>>
>>2115299
>American in denial

Yeah okay sport
>>
>>2111482
I had a toy poodle man as I'm in the same boat as you. Was the smartest dog I've owned. My allergies arent as bad nowadays but my folks got a poospring for the same reason (though i no longer live at home) and I'm fine with it. That dog is hype like all day every day.

My gf's folks have Hungarian Pulis which are also hypoallergenic. I want a big dog in the future but for people like you and me, the list isnt very big :/
>>
Do dogs typically react well to a puppy being added to the family?
Or do they get pissed off at the fact that it may get more attention
>>
>>2115331
They arent usually a fan to begin with. Then the heirachy begins, asserting dominance and what not til it kinda peters out. Of all the dogs ive known the older dogs tend to look like theyre merely "dealing" with the pup / younger dog but still play and chill with them. The look of "why is it so annoying and why cant i do anything" always makes me laugh.

The best thing is to ensure that both dogs get a healthy amount of fuss - in fact i suggest more fuss and reassurance for your older dog.
>>
>>2113412
It doesnt get easier my friend.

>one week, pupper is fine
>following week he has a stroke / seizures
>rush to vets to meet with mom and dog
>my dog of nine years is suddenly blind and deaf, stumbling around on table looking for some comfort
>put him to sleep
>hold him one more time
>take a lock of fur, seal it in air tight container
>it still smells like him two years later
>hurts as i write this

Still hurts my friend. It is literally the only thing that makes me cry if i think about it.
>>
We got a car harness today because the big wuss insists on sitting in my lap which also entails his face being in my face which is not conducive to a safe driving environment.

Should I take it off when we're not out and about or leave it on all the time like his collar? He walks really well in it even if it is just a smidgen too big.
>>
File: harness.jpg (193 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
harness.jpg
193 KB, 720x960
>>2115448
Also picture of said corgi butt in said harness.
>>
File: enhanced-24313-1412505490-9.jpg (78 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-24313-1412505490-9.jpg
78 KB, 625x469
>>2115448

Depends if you feel it is going to get trapped on anything. If it's too big for him it might get caught on something, which in the worse case scenario could wind up in him getting injured trying to escape.

Mind, the same thing could happen with a collar, but that's typically why it's suggested that collars are no looser than a finger or two underneath it.

Pick half related: cats are quite commonly bought into clinics because their collars got caught and caused them serious harm.
>>
>>2115456
thats a very cute pupper butt
>>
>>2115464
Cats have much softer skin and muscle tissue than dogs. Thats the reason most cat collars and flea collars have safety release son them if they pull hard enough and why you're not supposed to walk a cat on a leash using a collar.
>>
my dog just ate a single lemon slice. rind and all. hes 70+ lbs but i know that lemons are bad for them. should i worry since it was such a small amount?
>>
>>2115448
>>2115456
That is actually the exact car harness I have for my pupper. I only have his walkie harness and car harness on when I need them.

Also use the carabiner to attach it to the seatbelt. My dog hates attaching the seatbelt directly to the harness.
>>
>>2115492
Why do you have a car harness and a walk harness?
>>
File: 20160427_193517.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160427_193517.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Femanon here! Look at my baby!
>>
File: 20160501_152459.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160501_152459.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2115515
>>
>>2115515
>>2115517
My pupper could beat up your pupper.
>>
>>2115538
Idgaf my pupper is only a 1.5m/o. He'sdestroyer of world's someday
>>
>>2115553
6 weeks is too young for a pupper to be adopted. it should still be with mama, meaning not you.
>>
>>2115568
Winged early. Unlike your dog, he's not a little bitch.
>>
>>2115456
really cute doggo. i really want a corgi. did you get it from a good breeder? the breeders i can get to (each several hours worth of driving) have wait lists over a year long. i've thought about going to a BYB but i know i really shouldnt
>>
File: tuck.jpg (121 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
tuck.jpg
121 KB, 720x960
>>2115578
I got my little dude from a breeder in Oklahoma that I found on the AKC website. Oklahoma is 8 hours away from me so I had to travel to get him.

It was difficult because most breeders I looked at wouldn't ship or wouldn't adopt to an owner that didn't have a farm house on 100 acres of land.

I got him for $650 too, when Corgis usually go for $1000+.

Here he is pretending to be a kangaroo.
>>
>>2115587
how did you manage to get your adorable little pupper for so little? was there a waiting list? how long did you wait to get your pup from the moment you contacted the breeder to when you got him? i'm currently a student so i'm definitely not in the best situation when it comes to getting a dog let alone a puppy which is why i'm thinking of getting on the wait list now so that by the time i graduate i'll be more stable

also please post all your puppy pics he's adorable ;____; what are some of your favourite things to do with him?
>>
>>2115587
>breeder in oklahoma

is this bait?

you got a mill puppy
>>
>>2113412
I'm really sorry man, I really am. My dog just died 2 weeks ago, I cried for a week straight and now I just stare into the distance. I miss her companionship so much, everything feels so lonely and pointless without her by my side. I finished planting a nice garden around her yesterday, I hope she would have liked it. I'm still really sad and considering getting another dog from a shelter because I love animals and don't want another to suffer. My dog knew this because I always had to be friendly to every dog and cat I saw. I just don't know what to do, everything reminds me of her.
>>
>>2113338

Teach him sit by holding a treat over his head and moving it back, he will automatically sit.

Teach him "down" by putting a treat in a closed hand between his front paws and he will go down once he is down give him the treat, this didnt work for our dachshund though as she is so short.

Remember to add treats up and adjust his feeding to suit or you will get runny poops from overfeeding.

Another overlooked command is his name, hold a treat in your hand then bring it up to your eyes and say his name. When he makes eye contact give him the treat. Overtime move the treat away from your face but dont reward unless he makes eye contact.
>>
It's it better to have a raised food bowl? Or just one on flat ground? I've heard food on the ground are bad for the dogs digestive system and neck
>>
>>2115686
Yeah totally.

Pupper's parents are both AKC registered show dogs. The owner is a CEO of some company and his wife is a doctor.

Clearly they need the money so they churn out corgi puppies for cheap.
>>
Our dog has gotten really bitchy lately, not sure why
>11 year old, un-spayed chocolate lab that weighs about 70lb and is confined to our backyard (So I don't think any other dogs come to visit)
>Every day when she thinks it's time to be fed(When we sit down for dinner), she barks softly and jumps against our french door
>In the last 2 months she's gotten more aggressive about it, barking a lot louder and beating up the door more
>I figured the best way to fix it was to not feed her until she shuts up, but she's so relentless with it now we'd have to starve her before she shuts up
>We do have to periodically adjust her portions so she doesn't pack on pounds, but we're not starving her by any means
Also of note, she's smart in that she uses her "feed me" dance to try and trick us into feeding her twice, as there's 5 people in the house and after 1 person feeds her, she'll wait until no one is in sight that saw her be feed then do her "feed me" dance again
>>
>>2115840
>got an old bitch
>wonder why it's so manipulative and bitchy

anon...
>>
File: zanzan.jpg (251 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
zanzan.jpg
251 KB, 1536x2048
Vet has just put my 13 week old doggo on Prozac.

She is 3/4 German Shepherd, 1/4 Husky and is very strong willed. The problem is she has a crazily oscillating temperament. Her heckles standing up like crazy when she sees other dogs, she tenses up etc, and in general she is quite anxious. When she's not anxious she's going crazy and not understanding most communication. I could yell at the top of my lungs when she bites me and she would still think I'm playing. Does anyone have experience with dogs taking medication for anxiety, or anxious dogs in general? The prognosis sounds good and hopefully I can nip it in the butt and get her a bit more 'normal' while she's young.

She's already in puppy school (she's actually the most rambunctious, she has absolutely no chill once she starts playing and there's a staffy there she loves wrestling with), and I'm sussing out clubs and other obedience schools in the area but am getting so much conflicting advice from everyone re training methods.

I guess my main question is, what to do about anxious puppy other than medication and socialisation? What sort of precautions/extra considerations should I take? She just got her second shot so I can take her for walks now, advice on how to handle encounters with strangers and dogs much appreciated!
>>
>>2115824
Ground is better, raised is only beneficial if the dog already has back or neck issues
>>
>>2115863
13 weeks is waaaaaay too young to start a dog on mood-altering medication, it sounds like this puppy missed out on some key socialization and will need both an experienced owner and a professional behaviorist in order to end up on the right track. I strongly recommend returning the pup to whatever rescue you got her from so she can go to the right owner, it will hurt now, but you're saving the self the years of frustration ahead for both you and the dog. I'm appalled someone adopted out such a puppy to a layman.
>>
File: zzz.jpg (308 KB, 2048x1532) Image search: [Google]
zzz.jpg
308 KB, 2048x1532
>>2115876
You may have a point about the medication, as a 'layman' I wouldn't know. But I'm inclined to believe a vet (who is also a behaviourist) over an anon on 4chan. Her reasoning is that if we can coax more positive interactions out of her with the help of medication it will greatly improve her social development, so the key is that it's while she's young. It's not a long-term or sole solution.

Maybe I exaggerated about her behaviour, it's definitely not so bad that I need to return her. I know it's gonna be harder, but I think I'll manage (with the help of the behaviourist where needed).
>>
File: dog ear rip.jpg (218 KB, 558x744) Image search: [Google]
dog ear rip.jpg
218 KB, 558x744
I need help. My dog just had his ear ripped at the dog park. It looks like the top layer of skin is ripped, but it didn't puncture through both sides. I want to take him to the vet, but my dad claims they wouldn't be able to stich it because the ears are so thin. We're attempting to apply butterfly stiches and wrap it in gauze, but we're having a hard time keeping them on

CAN the vet give him stiches? if not, what can I do to help him? how can I keep the gauze on his ear?
>>
>>2116037
>can't stitch an ear
Literally retarded. Take him to the fucking vet.
>>
File: 1434525703946.jpg (18 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1434525703946.jpg
18 KB, 640x360
>>2116037
Poor pup needs a vet. Your dad is indeed retarded, stitching ears is simple and common (they do it as a matter of course for hematoma treatment). Here, look.
>>
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pet/5572203681.html

What do you think?
I'd be down for a pomsky if it looked like a small husky; but I'm not a fan of Pomeranians, Chihuahuas; and little annoying rat dogs in general
>>
>>2113200
What breed is he?
>>
>>2116042
>>2116047
Thanks /an/. I convinced him to go to the vet. Puppers getting taken care of right now.
>>
>>2116067
>buying a puppy from craigslist
>"now taking deposits"
>parents are both one year old
>not saying what the rehoming fee is
>there will be a different fee for blue and brown eyed pups

whew mate, good thing you posted them here or this piece of shit might have gone unreported.
>>
>>2116068
Welsh Corgi.
>>
>>2116075
Hey; I was unsure
The byb stuff has me thrown; and the "ckc " registered bit have it some legitimacy; although I could have sworn it was akc....
>>
>>2116091
>>2116075
>>2116067
Gets worse
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pet/5572311880.html
>>
>>2116071
Good man anon. Fast healing to your pup.
>>
>>2116071
godspeed, pupper
maybe invest in some armor for him?
>>
File: shame.jpg (211 KB, 558x744) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
211 KB, 558x744
>>2116099
>>2116114
bed rest and cone of shame for the next two weeks
>>
>>2116141
the cone will protect him from himself, sure. but what about protection from assailants? full body plate mail, anon. look into it.
>>
>>2116091
A reputable breeder will NOT advertise their litters on Craigslist 1) because craigslist terms specifically don't allow selling and breeding of dogs and 2) they will always have a wait list and no need to advertise with a third party.

Also, you can't register mutts. That's retarded. A designer breed is a mutt no matter how healthy and confirming its purebred parents might be. Those two things alone should have tipped you off. Don't buy a mutt off of craigslist. If you don't want to rescue a dog, that's fine, but go to a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2115840
>she's so relentless with it now we'd have to starve her before she shuts up

She's not going to be hurt from skipping a meal now and then.

If she does this, don't feed her.

(Don't skip two meals in a row though)
>>
>>2116494
Craig's List puppers deserve loving forever homes too, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I eat a lot of fresh veggies and greens, so I use my salad spinner a lot. problem is that my hear old husky/pit for some reason thinks it's a demon from hell and will furiously bark whenever I use it

any training suggestions? through positive reinforcement he knows to bark at strange noises or things outside of the house and stop on command, but doesn't do it inside so not sure

pic related
>>
whats the most cuddly and friendliest dog closest to being human?
>>
>>2116627
I think you're confused as to what a dog is, mate.
>>
>>2116555
By purchasing a pet on Craigslist you just fuel the market, you should only give your money to reputable breeders and rescues. Speak with your wallet
>>
>>2116649
So either someone else is gonna buy the puppy or no one will and it'll get tossed off a bridge over a lake tried up in a pillow case.
>>
>>2116682
Most of the time, unsold Craigslist dogs end up surrendered to rescue. And by law of supply and demand, if someone on Craigslist doesn't have a market for the dogs they're trying to sell they likely will not end up breeding again because it's not profitable. On the opposite end, if they do wind up selling puppies they are more likely to breed their dogs again, or maybe encourage their friends.

If you go through a rescue, though, you free up space for another dog to be rescued by a reputable organization. Plus, that money goes to supporting a group that properly vets puppies and owners and does a better job at matching appropriate households so that pup never ends up in rescue again. And seeing you go through such a group might encourage people you know to do the same.

Likewise, going through a reputable breeder supports those who breed purposefully and for the health and happiness of the puppies first and foremost.

Your money is very powerful, it can condemn future generations of BYB Craigslist puppies, it can support rescue efforts, and it can support reputable breeding. It's sad that BYB breeding dogs and puppies suffer, but the people to blame aren't those who choose more ethical options, the people to blame are those who breed and those who provide a market.
>>
I suck at keeping my dog focused on me.

He's a 5 months old lab and I can't even teach him to come when called or to walk on a leash properly.

It's like he gets disgracted by literally everything. I've tried using kibble, doesn't work. Does it mean I should just try higher value treats?

I feel terrible for not being able to even teach the basics to my dog.
>>
>>2116785
>5 Months

Month 4 through 9 are the worst. Remain consistent. Remain vigilant. Don't get frustrated. Every day will get a little bit easier if you stick with it.

Higher value treats could help. Boil up a chicken breast, chop that shit up. It's puppy crack. The first few tricks with high value treats should be sit, stay, and 'look at me'. Look at me is the important one, but is easier to do that when the puppy is sitting and staying because odds are they are already paying attention to you.

Also if you have a tug rope, bring that with on walks. Get his attention with it. Jump around and be goofy and silly. Play a short bit of tug to distract and start walking mid-game. Once he's focused again keep walking. As for 'come', high value treats would probably be your best bet, but the 4-9 terror window is very hard to keep a puppy's focus. They are just then starting to get bold about exploring the world around them and there's lots to sniff.

Remain consistent and vigilant. It'll get better.
>>
>>2116785
>>2116794
it could also be that he's not very treat motivated. Try other things: toys, squeakers, make funny noises. Once his eyes are on you, reward him.
>>
>>2115573
S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E
>>
>Pupper nipping at my sandals
>Tell him no biting
>Stops and stares me deep into the pools of my soul
>Snaps at me and runs away

Fucking cheeky bitch.
>>
Can I train corgis to herd humans? I'm asking hypothetically, of course. For reasons.
>>
>>2116851
>Doggo sniffing at something on the ground and licking at it.
>Tell him NO and leave it
>He stops
>LIKE A BOLT OF FUCKING LIGHTNING he turns around and eats the thing he was sniffing in one bite
Fokn cheeky cunt
>>
my dog's stomach is making 100 noises

should i worry?
>>
>>2116561
Zac george YouTube
>>
>>2113560
I agree that it's a GOOD diet, but I want to fucking slap people when they say something is 'the best way'. Every dog is different and that has to be considered when feeding raw, or when feeding any fucking diet in general.
>>
>>2117014

I hear you. I think we will try doing kibble in the mornings and feeding raw meat and veges or a meaty bone in the evening for dental purposes. I cant afford to go completely raw for them, meat is expensive here and it would cost more than the Acana we feed them now.
>>
>>2116804
I'd say he definitely is treat motivated, all he seems to think about is his stomach
If I use better treats I'm afraid kibble won't "work" anymore, does that make sense? I'll try and see how this does

>>2116794
Thanks for your encouragement anon. He already knows sit and shake but the hard part is keeping his attention and getting him to come and stay consistently or follow me on a leash. I'll keep trying, hope you're right and it will get better.
The frustrating part is seeing 3 months old puppies on YouTube who are actually better trained than my dog, which makes me feel like I'm missing something
>>
>>2117077
>If I use better treats I'm afraid kibble won't "work"
Don't use the high-value treat 100% of the time, mix it in so he can't anticipate which reward he will get. This will help you especially when you get to the proofing and phasing-out stage
>>
>>2116985
Monitor, if it happens for more than 24 hours, or if he has other GI symptoms, call your vet
>>
>>2116691
underrated post by a stupid fucking faggot
>>
>>2115902
does she have roach back by any chance? it's a trait that leads to hip problems farther down the road but i'm not sure at what age it becomes prominent. maybe the 1/4 husky will help on that front.
>>
>>2117094
Your face is a stupid fucking faggot
>>
Are Blue Buffalo/Diamond/Kirkland (all manufactured by Diamond) really that bad?

DogFoodAdvisor is full of stories about how their dogs got sick immediately after first meal from a new bag and got better the second they went off that bag, indicating quality control problems.
>>
chow chow/beagle mix

should i get it /an/?
>>
/naruto/
>>
/hentai/
>>
To what extent will a puppy mill go to disguise the fact that they are a mill. My wife and I have been extra judicious with our dog hunt and have denied many "breeders" out of fear of being a mill.

However, her aunt got a goldendoodle (not AKC which is a flag, but I'm less concerned with pedigree and more concerned with what I'm supporting) that has reached 6 years with no health complications. When I reached out to the breeder they were very forthcoming with information, sent pictures of the puppies living, playing and sleeping areas. She has provided week by week updates on their development and health, and we have scheduled a visit to see where the puppies have lived in person.

It would appear the breeder does also breed purebred poodles and Goldens which are AKC certified so there is some legitimacy, though the Golden doodle will come spayed as they are not for breeding purposes.

Essentially, what are the odds I'm supporting a puppy mill considering the evidence so far? I know they may be considered BYB since the pups won't be AKC but rather uabr, which may be a fly by night registry, but I don't care as much as long as she is a caring breeder which everything I've seen points to.

In case it wasn't painfully obvious this is my first pup, thought I've lurked /an/ frequently the past 6 months during my hunt.
>>
This is my Labrador Murphy (his name is based on an Irish pub near my house). He is 12years old and I know him since I was 6.

Yesterday around 8 o' clock in the evening I did drink some lemon tek (8gram after 3months of not taking psychedelics).

In the trip it made me realize my dog didn't had that much life to live anymore. I said him had to lay down on the ground and I had a native American ceremony to honor the dog and to tell him that it's going to be all right. I did day bye bye to the dog (him scared of death) and now we just have to wait for his old soul to go. Rest in peace already buddy.
>>
Say *
>>
>>2117180
If you want a retarded dog with crazy strength that won't listen to you, go right ahead.
>>
>>2117202
i am not so sure if traits from both parents transfer directly to the offspring

but thanks for the advice the 2 are known to be literally retarded dogs

[spoiler]what do you think are the best mixes[/spoiler]
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (263 KB, 1362x1073) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
263 KB, 1362x1073
I'm getting one of these in a couple of weeks. Anything besides the essentials(food, toys, old newspapers, leash, etc) I should get before I pick him up? It's my first own dog, even though the family have had dogs since I was five.
>>
>>2117193
>It would appear the breeder does also breed purebred poodles and Goldens which are AKC certified so there is some legitimacy, though the Golden doodle will come spayed as they are not for breeding purposes.
this is usually a good sign. a red flag would be if she sold the puppy with the 'option' to buy out of a spay/neuter contract by paying more money.

other things to look for:

>the condition of the place where the puppies and mother live
>how many times has the mother been bred in the past few years
>who owns the parents/grandparents/etc.? is everyone/a majority of dogs in the "family line" on site? (not necessarily a good or bad sign, but think about what the breeder is doing to keep the breed from genetically bottlenecking)
>>>>>HEALTH TESTING
Health testing is the biggest one. Are the parents, grandparents, great-grandparents tested? Health tests can be expensive. BYBs may say they have health tested the parents but not be able to provide documentation.
>>
File: A-Luna.jpg (24 KB, 347x450) Image search: [Google]
A-Luna.jpg
24 KB, 347x450
Hey guys, general question:
What do you think of the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"?
For example if you need a well-trained guard dog, could you take a shelter dog and train him?

Also, what about cold-weather dogs (like the samoyed in the pic) in warmer weathers? Temperate zone, 30+ during summer.
I know a person who breeds huskies. She has to get up at 5 and take them for a run. But won't they get too hot during the day? Is it inhumane to keep them in such a climate?

>>2117195
Man, I know that feeling. Our oldest dog is 13 now, we've had her for as long as I can remember.
>>
>>2117034
My dogs food over the past year has been a mix of that diamond high performance stuff, Taste of the Wild, and when we're doing good on money, home cooked foods.

I never completely cut out the kibble cause I fear I may leave something out of her diet, but from day to day I'll feed her dog safe stuff.

One day I might cook a half cup of oatmeal, water it down with a splash of coconut water and regular water, throw in a couple blueberries, then mix it with kibble. The next day I might grill her up some unseasoned chicken and cook a half of a carrot. Just stuff like that.

I'm currently working on learning what herbs are good and/or ok for dogs, but I want to check with the vet first before using them consistently in my cooking.
>>
>>2117125
>DogFoodAdvisor is full of stories about how their dogs got sick immediately after first meal from a new bag and got better the second they went off that bag, indicating quality control problems.

was it vomiting or diarrhea? Because swapping food without easing them into it will cause diarrhea 100% of the time regardless of what food it is. It messes with their digestive system. They need to be eased into new food by adding small portions to their normal food, and gradually increasing the amount over the next two weeks.
>>
>>2117125
When I adopted my first cat and took her to the vet for a rabies vaccine, the vet asked me what I fed her. I said Blue. She proceeded to scold me and tell me how horrible it was and to stop it right now and do not feed it.

To say the least, I do not feed either of my cats, nor my dog, Blue.
>>
>>2113412
>tfw 16 year old dog
I don't need these feels right now
>>
>>2117533
Did the vet say why Blue is bad?
>>
>>2113412
>If someone has any advice please let me know,

If you feel up to it, getting another dog might be what you need. I've always had a dog since I was five: We got a second one about a year before our first one died, and I found it was so much easier to deal with the loss of the first when there was one I could go hug.

Now I recently had to put two dogs down within the space of three months. When the second one went down I couldn't stand it. Every time I passed by the couch I was reaching out to pet him. I kept going to give my dogs a cuddle or kiss and they weren't there. I was getting teary all the time.

I ended up getting a puppy after two days, and my attitude completely turned around. Before I had been thinking "My dogs were so great, and now they're gone forever.", but with the puppy it turned into "My dogs were so great, and I know this little guy is going to be just as amazing.". I was still sad about them, but thinking about them made me feel hope for this little guy's future.
>>
>>2117125
We carry Blue Buffalo at my store (much to my chagrin), and when the controversy occurred that they were "accidentally" using by-product meal in their foods, I asked the rep what the company was going to do in the future to prevent such an issue. Her response was, "We stopped using the distributor who 'accidentally' sold us the by-product meal, but we're not going to change anything about our QA protocol."

Disgusting.
>>
File: IMAG0194.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0194.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
Pic related is constantly fed from the table by my family and I try to get them to stop. They dont feed her the obviously poisonous things (chocolate etc) but she constantly has diahoerrea and is quite fat for a whippet. She also has her own food on top of that (usually homecooked dog food).

How do I get them to stop feeding her from the table?
>>
>>2117193
">>>>>HEALTH TESTING"
Anon is right

All purebred breeding animals should have the OFA recommended tests by breed, and results published to the database. All mixed-breed breeding animals should have the OFA recommended tests for BOTH breeds. Some of these tests need to be completed by a specialist, not just their regular vet.
http://www.offa.org/breedtests.html

Also, as other Anons have mentioned, merely being registered with the AKC does not mean it's a quality dog, any purebred dog being bred should have at least finished their championship, or in the process with a few major wins. A dog participating in conformation will ideally have few structural flaws. The breeder should be able to tell you about their dog's flaws and how they make pairing decisions to mitigate these flaws.
>>
>>2117520
No, they were already feeding the Blue. They opened a new bag of the same food, and the dogs suddenly started having problems digesting, indicating quality control issue from batch to batch.
>>
>>2117317
i got a shelter dog about a month ago, he is 4. can confirm that he is in fact learning new tricks. as far as the "well trained guard dog" things goes, be really careful about that. consider the implications. whoever had my dog previously obviously tried to do this, and now he is 100% hostile to anything that isnt me (dogs, humans, cats, cars, etc). while i appreciate his protective nature and acknowledge that it could come in handy at some point, its going to take a lot of work to teach him when it is and isnt appropriate to kill something. we are working on correcting this, and its been slow going, to the point that im going to have to hire a pro trainer before he ends up mauling someone. if you need to protect something, i suggest acquiring a gun.
>>
Is it common for a dog's skin color to change after being microchipped? My dog got chipped in late March and the fur is still growing in where they shaved. The weird thing though is all of her back is pinkish skin except the implant site which is grey/black. I took her back for a second opinion and they seemed puzzled and said it might be an age spot but...that's pretty coincidental to me. Any thoughts?
>>
File: tumblr_o4rvjmW0dZ1s7p1n4o2_1280.jpg (453 KB, 956x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4rvjmW0dZ1s7p1n4o2_1280.jpg
453 KB, 956x1280
hey /an/, i've had kind of a shitty day
here's some backstory
>neighbor across the street has a collie in the summer time
>it's his niece's dog or something like that, she only visits in the summer time and brings it with her when she comes/leaves
>it's not offleash trained but she still tries to go on walks with it like that
>it chases cars and snaps at kids, doesn't get much exercise
>often follows me and my dog home when we go on walks
>yesterday my mom who was coming back from chemotherapy couldn't get out the car because it was barking and snarling at her door

anyways
>it was hot today so I walked my dog first thing in the morning
>also it's a good way to avoid any clash with the Beast
>my dog is old and in general i just don't want no trabble
>doggo wants another walk
>look around outside first, collie isn't anywhere
>we're walking and lo and behold, here comes Trubble
>it bounds over to us with the owner screaming COME BACK and GET OVER HERE
>it starts snarling and barking, hair raising, baring teeth, walking slowly towards us
>my dog starts growling in defense
>the collie went for my doggo and i didn't really stop to think
>i got between them and curbstomped the fucker
>now the neighbor realizes she has to intervene and waddles/skips over
>the collie's whimpering and bleeding all over the place
>neighbor and i get in a screaming match
>meanwhile her dog's just laying there
>other neighbor's have come outside to investigate
>they see my dog, a boxer, and a nearly dead collie and put two and two together
>neighbor's are now threatening to call animal control, owner's of the collie are saying they're gonna sue me (?)

i don't feel good about hurting another creature, but i don't think i was in the wrong either?
was I?

pic related, my wise doggo
>>
>>2117845
physically intervene

if not, then just keep pressuring them to stop by explaining forcefully that human food is just horrible for dogs, it's clogging her arteries and making her overweight and thus shortening her lifespan.
>>
>>2118221
You weren't in the wrong at all.

But at the same time, make sure you have people who can confirm your claims of the collie's aggressive nature.
>>
They are great
>>
>>2111481
I want a dog but I live in a very tint apartment and don't have the time to walk him during the week.
Can a dog be trained to use a litter box? What kind of dog should I get?
>>
>>2118221
would have done the same thing. dumb fucking bitch. she lets her aggressive dog run loose, lets it attack people and pets, and she's the victim? she can eat a dick.

>>2118227 is right. make sure you have people who can confirm what you say about collie's previous aggressive tendencies. also look up leash laws in your area; she was likely in violation of the law in the first place.
>>
>>2118287
>Can a dog be trained to use a litter box?
yes
>What kind of dog should I get?
none

if you don't have time to walk a dog, why do you think you have the time to take care of one?
>>
>>2118301
I can pay some Mexican to walk the dog then
>>
>>2118306
why don't you just buy the Mexican his own dog and then ask him to let you tell people you own it instead?
>>
>>2118308
Geeez, what's up with you?
Anyways I'm going to buy a jack Russell and call him wishbone
>>
Alright, I'm really interested in getting a Scent Hound. How much harder to take care of are they than a regular "dog", and are there any good guides for training them?
>>
File: 1341421550798.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1341421550798.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>watching my sister's shiba inu for her
>it wants to go out and piss all the god damn time
>watched it before, it wasn't this bad
>dog's coat is all dull and full of clumps of winter coat falling out because she never ever grooms it
>start brushing it
>as I brush her hind legs, I notice she's bleeding out her vagina
>worry that it's either a urinary infection or that I scraped her while brushing
>wait until she pees again and watch
>she pisses pure blood

that was two weeks ago and she still hasn't taken it to the vet. every day I ask my sister if she's taken her dog to the vet yet and the only answer I get is "that's my husband's dog, he needs to handle it" or "I don't see her bleeding".
>>
>>2120093
The real difference with sent hounds is they are big wanderers.
Gotta watch those fuckers they will go after a scent like crazy.
>>
File: dog.png (295 KB, 454x430) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
295 KB, 454x430
Can anyone help me identify this dog breed? I'm having trouble finding others like it
>>
>be me sitting in bed thinking I should walk my dog soon
>keep considering it but too lazy to get up yet
>my dog hasn't gotten out of bed yet today
>he's not here
>remember my mum said she's going to get him castrated today
>yell "holy fuck"
>i didn't save him

I really don't agree with castration. My dog is 12 years old. His nipples grew longer and the vet thought one of his balls was much larger than the other so it might be a problem. It really annoys me because vets don't do any diagnostic tests. Just cut them off and check for cancer AFTER. . Great so we can pay to have the balls tested for cancer after they are already removed, if they are cancer it's not like we can actually do anything anyway. Now he's going to lose his testosterone and this is really going to mark his decline into old age. He had a lot of energy for a 12 year old dog.

When my mum and I saw the vet last, I really thought she was just talking shit. "oh your dog's not very flexible", a puppy could move it's leg much further. She wasn't even smart enough to know my dog gets tense at the vet. I can move his limbs full range at home when he's relaxed. She just seemed dumb and couldn't offer ANY help for what we actually went there for (which was my dog yelping in pain sometimes for no reason, although this stopped). She gave him arthritis drugs for no reason even though it was clear it wasn't joint pain. Fucking hate that bitch. Oh yeah and the pointless drugs she prescribed just made him vomit every day he took them. She had absolutely no basis to say he had arthritic pain.

I let my dog get this pointless operation. Honestly it's more so my mum's dog but I still care for him. I will feel to much pain to even look at home after this.

Obviously, in my opinion, getting healthy young dogs castrated is even worse. It's sickening.
>>
>>2120093
They seem dumb because they are more interested in following scents than taking commands from humans. Unless you are telling them to follow a scent. .
>>
>>2120167
The coloring, short stature and longer body makes me think this may be a corgi mix?
>>
>>2120195
>Unless you are telling them to follow a scent
Do people honestly buy Scent hounds for anything else? I mean I guess Beagles I can understand but I can't see anyone buying something like a Bloodhound as a simple family pet.
>>
>>2120167
Yeah I can see a bit of corgi in him.

If you are really curious, you can get a DNA test done. It's 85 dollars. The one I got said my doggo is a staffie/golden/basset/terrier mix.
>>
>>2120208
Idk my dads family had basset hounds back in the day and my aunty had another one when I was a kid. I think like most people they ignored it which may have been why It ended up getting poisoned and died since it barked non stop when they were not home. I don't understand the appeal though.
>>
guys try this group for uncensored dog stuff facebook
/groups/cooldoggroup
>>
>>2120445
Are they having sex
>>
>>2120466
No just sleeping
>>
>>2120445
wtf
>>
>>2113412
i lost my best friend on monday :'( . I've heard getting a spiritual successor pupper is a good idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (391 KB, 1034x1482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
391 KB, 1034x1482
Does anyone know what kind of mix this dog is?
I know that one half is German Shepard but not sure about the other half.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2498x2531) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2498x2531
>>2120572
Here is another image.
>>
>>2120573
fawn doberman? because color and ears
weimaraner? only because eyes and gray color :|
he's adorable, more pics.
>>
File: image.jpg (838 KB, 2211x2211) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
838 KB, 2211x2211
>>2120577
Thanks!
>>
>>2120196
>>2120226
Thanks,
I guess it might be a corgi mixed with some Indian breed, but it's definitely more proportioned than a corgi, and looked a little bigger overall.
But it's actually a screenshot from a movie, so I can't get a DNA test unfortunately
>>
My BC is 8 months old now.

She has pretty great behavior other than her go-to method of getting my attention is biting my feet, and if feet not available, my hands. Even during play.

For instance, I'll toss the ball, and she'll bring it back, drop it at my feet, let out this frustrated honking noise, and then nip at my feet.

What do, I don't want to punish her for the behavior, I know why she does it, just not why she feels the need to do it when she already has my full attention.
>>
File: jack russell.jpg (101 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
jack russell.jpg
101 KB, 600x404
>>2118221
last year my family adopted a jack russel that was aggressive as fuck towards dogs.
>grew up with jacks, had two.
>first one raised since he was a puppy got cancer and we gave him a soft sleep goodbye to ease his pain when i was about 13. fat little guy but he was the most gentle dog ever
>second was a mean bitch that was a jack/chihuahua half-breed, we think she was used for breeding. we put her to sleep when i was about 19 after she got too old to even support her body.
>she was mean as fuck and territorial when we got her but she was the nicest dog ever at the end
>ff a few years.
>almost 21. between classes in college.
>family decides to adopt another dog. finds one up for adoption in Seattle.
>little Boyce
>we wake up early and drive over the border to get him.
>find out he was chained in a back yard for most of his life and the owner gave him up because the crafty little shit kept escaping
>"escape-proof" our backyard. bring him back.
>first night i let him sleep in my bed with me and gf
>next moring wake up to find him sitting on my gf's head. laughs were had by everyone except her
>first few walks we discover that he was WAY more aggressive towards dogs then we had initially thought
>start putting him in a harness so he can't escape on walks
>still fucking escapes. little fucker's Houndini on a leash
>spend next two months bonding. i'm the only one he can't escape from on walks because i can figure out when he's trying to be a sneaky shit.
>gets out a couple times when families walking.
>one day he attacks another dog.
>charges aren't pressed but my dad has to pay the vet bill.
>dad super pissed, boyce know's he's fucked up
>security tightens.
>spend time with boyce
>school starts
>end up living in dorm and coming home on weekends
>always play with boyce as soon as i get back
>one weekend i come back and the doors wide open
>notagoodsign.jpg
>come inside, families all sitting on the couch
>"where's boyce-y?"
continued.
>>
File: 1452014469366.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1452014469366.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
>>2120844
>find out he got off his harness on a walk
>find out he took a run at a tiny dog
>he fucked it up a good bit before they could be seperated
>lady was screaming bloody murder
>threatening to call the SPCA or cops or something to get boyce put down
>go downstairs, play AC to forget, later gf comes over in lingerae to cheer me up. don't even have the will to give her dick
family decided to send him back to the shelter they got him from. said there was an ostrich farm that needed a high energy dog, so they would probably adopt him.
i still don't know if they were lying to me. I miss that dog. he may have been the family dog but deep down he was always only my pupper.
>>
>>2120848
I carry a knife when I walk my dog. If anything like your dog ever attacks mine I will put it down in self defence. There's no place for dogs like that in public. Also you should have gotten a proper harness dumb ass. There's definitely no ostrich farm.
>>
File: 1458515562986.jpg (72 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
1458515562986.jpg
72 KB, 720x690
My boyfriend claims to not want us to get a shelter puppy (note, puppy) due to learned shelter behaviors possibly making it "difficult".

Is he full of shit?
>>
>>2120887
yes
>>
>>2120892
thought fucking so since it was mostly in dogs stuck there for a long time. google said the same earlier but i wanted to double check

thanks anon
>>
File: kangal 5678965467.jpg (91 KB, 680x500) Image search: [Google]
kangal 5678965467.jpg
91 KB, 680x500
>>2111481
are Kangals good dogs pets?
>>
>>2120908
Shelter dogs suck people shill for them due to muh morality. Also they're all castrated or had a hysterectomy which leads to health problems later in life. Which will be soon considering they are not puppies. Most people wait awhile before abandoning their dog.
>>
>>2120936
I know you're a troll but I don't want you scaring that anon.

shelter dogs are fine. if you're worried, hang out with the one you're thinking of adopting to see if you'd be a good fit. this is actually true for any dog, obviously. since anon is getting a puppy though, there is no baggage that might come with an adult dog.

>they're all castrated or had a hysterectomy which leads to health problems later in life
only if done too early. otherwise the opposite is true.
>>
>>2120946
>the opposite is true.
That's just false science and propaganda. It's not even legal to do it in some northern Europe countries.
>>
>>2120950
>It's not even legal to do it in some northern Europe countries.
a lie. it's uncommon in europe, but by no means is it banned. you're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>2120954
Anyway I don't want a mutilated dog with hormone imbalances and the health issues that come with that.
>>
Why do people castrate dogs?
>>
>>2120963
Because they have a sick fetish.
>>
>>2120868
jesus you're an angry cunt. you keep a knife on you for small dogs? what are you, a faggot? you can't just stomp the fucking thing?

also it was a fucking proper harness. i paid like $100 for the fucking thing. little shit would start squirming and would free himself if you didn't give the leash a tug.
>>
>>2120976
>paying one hundred dollars for a dog harness that doesn't work.

You're right small dogs are easier to stomp on, the knife is for big dogs.
>>
>>2120963
Because they want to be able to bring their dog around without it trying to impregnate everything.
>>
>>2120979
>implying i didn't go through all the cheap ones first

"anon, whats with the pocket knife?"
"it's so i can take down a 150 pound rottweiler"
are you actually retarded?
>>
>>2121007
Are you retarded? You can't even figure out a harness.
>>
File: 1454451467126.jpg (18 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
1454451467126.jpg
18 KB, 300x280
>>2121020
are you illiterate? he never escaped when i walked him. go stab a great dane with your tiny knife you autist.
>>
>>2118313
Dog people are testy as fuck on the internet. If you don't raise your dog 100% "the right way", they chalk it up to animal abuse. It's annoying but hey, what are you gonna do?
>>
>>2120933
pls
>>
If you have problems with your dog escaping a harness you need to adjust or replace it.
>>
>>2112935
I got this fucking dog to shake, sit, stay, and come with maybe 90% accuracy. He now walks much better on the leash, though he still pulls if he sees a person or another dog.

Next on my list is "leave it". I swear to god I am going to train this pupper up good.
>>
Not had a Dog since 2010 and it was a Minature Pinscher and I feel like it's the right time of wanting another Dog but unsure of what breeds to look for, I don't know much about them but I feel I would need one that is okay with my Tourette's.

Any suggestions?
>>
>be me
>walking dog to get a pizza
>walk by bully type dog on a leash
>owner not paying attention
>dog approaches my dog
>stop walking
>dog seems friendly enough
>owner realizes what's happening
>SHE FLIPS SHIT AT ME (?!)
>"WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE? MOVE!!!"
>say nothing (holy shit)
>wait for dog her to get her dog under control
>keep walking
>stop to pick up my dogs shit
>her and her dog are now approaching me from behind
>she's still fucking mad as hell
>"I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU, SRSLY"

holy shit who are these people and why are they so hostile?
>>
>>2121256
go to a shelter and pick the one you like
>>
>>2121262
I'd want to raise from a Puppy if I could though.
>>
>>2121265
go to a shelter and pick the puppy you like
>>
>>2121261
literally a nut. i used to walk my dogs on the trail and i've never had that problem. still hear about it from time to time though so i assume that those type of people don't own dogs for too long.
>>
>years ago, found pitbull dragging chain
>took care of it
>found owners five days later
>dog was bro-tier, loved everyone
>quick learner, eager to please
>skip forward to now
>just found out the owners moved
>left the dog abandoned in the backyard
>tfw I'm not in a position to take him in

Feels pretty bad. The people that moved in are taking care of him, though, so at least there's that.
>>
>>2120133
Call the cops on her and the husband. Anyone irresponsible enough to fall for the doge meme yet don't realize what kind of dog the Shiba Inu is deserves jail time.
>>
>Mfw at uni so i can't have a doggo anymore
>family doggo died last October so no more pupper at home.
>Literally feel like there's a hole in my life.
>>
>>2115464
Reminds me of when my cat got hit by a car. Vet said the only damage the car caused was it skinned her leg but she ran into a bush and got it infected so she's now a senile 3 legged cat.
>>
>>2120933

Fuck no.
>>
>>2121845
I never noticed that hole until my first dog died last month. I don't like it.
>>
>>2113780
All the dog needs is extra socialization with children and crowds and exciting high energy places.
Studies actually claim most dog attacks (not being breed specific) occurred in 1 person homes.
Make sure you tire the dog out before socializing so he's more relaxed.
>>
>>2115573
It's a socialization thing, you dunce, not a food issue.
The mother and litter mates teach each other what's too much during play time and what goes too far.
Have fun taking it out to poo and pee every hour because no control over its bladder and shit hole
>>
>>2115824
A show person told me that raised is better to improve stance so that the feet don't point outward, this will also be more comfortable for the dog as it grows.
My Shiba has a raised bowl, but it's only about 3-4" off the ground
My dachshund has a bowl on the ground
>>
>>2121934
Only if your dog has low pasterns--but even then, conditioning exercises and walking on sand are much more effective
>>
I may be getting a second dog. I am going to the shelter to have an introduction to see how the new dog gets along with my dog. He is super friendly and loves just about everyone, so it is more the other dog.

The shelter said the new doggo may have some food aggression. I've been reading some stuff, but what have you all had success in getting rid of that behavior?
>>
>>2122034
What have you read so far?
>>
>>2122042
For one to feed her separately from the other animals (I also have 2 cats).

The retarded "pack leader" bullshit I have read has said to put some cereal in a little baggy, rest it on the bowl, and have a few bites before laying down the bowl. Also, to not back away from the bowl. I know this stuff is generally bullshit, so I don't place much weight in it.

I've also read to give her special treats at meal time, and inch closer with every special treat. And just keep working on this until you can get close to the bowl and offer a treat without her getting upset, ultimately concluding with taking the bowl.

She also gets upset about treats, which I have only generally read about handling the bowl.

I just want to hear what has worked for others before I select a method.
>>
File: IMG_20160513_142113.jpg (2 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160513_142113.jpg
2 MB, 2160x3840
Dog
>>
>>2122291
Are you sure?
>>
>>2115448
those things are extremely dangerous in the car. if there's a crash I will likely strangle or severely injure your dog, I was just talking with my coworker (a vet) about this the other day

your dog is safest in an airline crate (the ones made of plastic with holes in them) in the car
>>
>>2115826
>he thinks AKC registration means anything

I've seen a chihuahua mutt registered as a Boston terrier, papers don't mean shit
>>
>>2115826

All that tells me is that your dog is inbred and its parents won a beauty contest.
>>
>>2122048
What worked best for me and my pup was hand feeding her in her bowl. I would take a little bit of her food at a time, and continuously place it in her bowl for her to eat until she was done.

What do you mean by she gets upset about treats?
>>
>>2115826
Post OFA clearances
>>
>>2113217
Shepperd?
>>
>>2111481
I really kinda want a dog sled team.

I don't have the time or money or space for one now but when I'm in retirement age I really want to get a nice rural home again. One of my good family friends has an entire team of wolf huskies. They are gorgeous dogs. She has about a dozen dogs but they aren't runners anymore and neither is their master. She's too old as well.

that's like my dream. I have learned a lot from her and her dogs and it's something I really want to do.
>>
>>2122533
What?
>>
I am adopting a heartworm positive dog in a few weeks. The shelter is going to give her the initial round of injections, and allow her to rest for a few weeks, and then I am going to adopt her.

I have another dog already, and he goes on 2, at least 30 minute walks every day. I want her to join us as long as she can (which I know isn't going to be more than 10 minutes). This is of course due to the treatment. Would it be safe to carry her in a sling carrier in the remainder of the walk? This is assuming she doesn't mind and doesn't get stressed by it.

I fully know the answer is that this is a bad idea, and I should just drop her off and finish my other dog's walk until her treatment is over, but wanted to see if anyone perhaps had experience or thoughts as to why this might work.
>>
The SO and I are just about ready to get our first dog together, but we keep running into walls with what kind of dog to get. We have a 900 sqft apartment with a small back patio. Weight restrictions are 30lbs or less, but I want a dog on the higher end of the scale because I'm 6'6 and don't want to crush the poor thing on accident. I'm also allergic to animals, so a hypoallergenic breed would be ideal (but not necessaey since I can usually get used to it after a few months). We both prefer spitz breeds. We both have experience with dogs (she has more than me), so we feel pretty confident in training. Between the two of us, and SO's mom if necessary, dog will get 2 walks a day every day. We go hiking as well, so a dog that has some endurance is good.

We were thinking Pomeranian, but I'm just worried it will be too small or wouldn't hold up well on hikes. Any advice /an/?
>>
>>2122034

When my Chow started showing food aggression, I would slide the bowl away and block it with my feet. If she tried to get the bowl, I'd just calmly body block her for a few minutes until I decided it was time to eat. She got the hint that it was my food and I allowed her to eat it when I was done. Now I can pull bones from her mouth or take food away and she's chill with me, but she's still aggressive to other people who try to so the same.
>>
>>2122611
pomeranians aren't hypoallergenic and they won't hold up on hikes.
>>
>>2122611
A beagle isn't hypoallergenic, but they would be great for a hiking bud.
>>
>>2113667
EVERYONE LISTEN UP

Before I put my dog on this diet, he had pretty poor intestinal health, his poos were awful and inconsistant. This cheap diet fixed him right up.

In a pot:
>Chicken stock/broth
>Rice (preferably brown)
>Chicken
>Peas
>Carrots

Cook batches of that stuff and freeze it/refrigerate it.

My dog loved it, and his shits got much healthier looking and consistent, and I noticed he wasn't as itchy all the time.
>>
>>2122658
this cheap diet will also cause nutritional deficiencies in your dog. if you want to keep feeding homecooked meals, consult with your vet to make sure your dog is reaching his macros and vitamin and mineral needs.

>poor intestinal health, poos were awful and inconsistent
also get a fecal exam done while you're at the vet. your dog may have parasites or allergies.
>>
>>2122658
>>2122678
also, the itchiness you mentioned also points to allergies.

in short, take your dog to the vet instead of attempting to armchair-diagnose and treat it.
>>
>>2122658

My dog doesnt digest carrots or peas so I dont bother giving them to him.
>>
How's this for a store-brand puppy food?

Ingredients:
Beef meal, Pork meal, Soybean meal, yellow corn, animal fats, milk powder, egg powder, fish meal, dietary fiber, [various minerals]

Protein 28% min, Fat 14% min.

6 out of the first 8 ingredients are animal-derived, so I think it's good.
>>
>>2122722
>Soybean meal as the third ingredient
>Corn as the fourth
It's pretty bad. You can feed your dog better.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.