[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /an/ feel about crate training? my gf is getting her
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 300x261) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 300x261
How does /an/ feel about crate training?

my gf is getting her first dog on sunday and she wants to crate train it. We live in apartment in the city if that makes a difference. I grew up with pet dogs and my parents never crate trained any and they turned out fine, can anyone redpill me on this method?
>>
>>2111158

I don't crate train, and I'm not super keen on it. I don't really understand why people are so nuts about it. I like that the pet has a place it feels safe and can go to, but I don't really see how that is any different that training a dog to go to its bed.
>>
my dog is crate trained.. i used to use a crate regularly but not so much anymore since i have a bigger place with rooms and i'm home more.. i still think it's important for all dogs to be comfortable crated because they might end up in an emergency situation at the vet or a shelter where there aren't any other options

i also take my dog on my motorcycle and on occasional flights so he needs to feel comfy and secure in his 'bag'

i HATE when people abuse the crate though.. don't use it for punishment or as an alternative for socializing and interacting with your pet
>>
I consider crate training essential but many people abuse it. I work at a vet office and you can always tell when a boarder has never been in a crate before because they go apeshit, hurt themselves trying to escape, and stress out in a kenneling environment. So there is the perk of your dog being relaxed when confined for periods of time.

It's also super helpful for housebreaking a puppy or confining them overnight so when you're asleep you know they are safe.

I leave my dogs kennel open all day with her bed in there. If she gets sleepy or wants a break from the household she'll go in voluntarily. Otherwise I only put her in overnight for about 6-8hrs before letting her out in the morning when I wake up. It's very helpful for car situations as well.
>>
Its a good lesson to have but not really use it all the time. If your dog ever has to stay over at the vets, if you need to have the dog in the back of a truck and a crate is necessary for securing them, if you ever have guests over like very small children, etc, etc. its basically a useful tool to have but you by no means need it every day.

I do suggest it to people that have a lot of parties though, so the dog has somewhere to go to get away from the crowd.
>>
>>2111293
Yeah I totally agree with the abuse of it. What you mentioned is completely fine..however I have some friends (and im sure lots of people do this) who abuse the shit out of it. They will throw that dog in the crate for whatever god damn reason just because they're too lazy to "deal" with it acting out when they're not shoved into their crate.
>>
>>2111158
>How does /an/ feel about crate training?
>I grew up with pet dogs and my parents never crate trained any and they turned out fine, can anyone redpill me on this method?

I'm an advocate for crate training because I believe it is by far the easiest way to house break a dog.

The reason why is because it maximizes the opportunities for positive reinforcement of good bathroom habits, while minimizing the opportunities for accidents and associated cleanup.

Added benefits as already mentioned include establishing a comfy space for your dog and helping them adjust better to kenneling should the need arise.

If done properly you shouldn't even have to crate the dog anymore once the training takes hold.
>>
>>2111422
>The reason why is because it maximizes the opportunities for positive reinforcement of good bathroom habits, while minimizing the opportunities for accidents and associated cleanup.

Let me explain a little more. It's based on the conventional wisdom that the dog will avoid shitting or pissing in its "space", i.e. the confined space of a properly sized crate. You watch your puppy like a hawk for a little while and if they haven't peed in a while put them in the crate for 15 min or so. Then take them directly outside. If they pee/poop then praise, snuggles, etc. If they don't, then simply place them back into the crate for a bit and repeat.

This will also allow you to leave the puppy unattended for a bit if you have to run some errands or something, and will help get through the night without waking up to mayhem.

Shitty people will abuse it, but that doesn't make it a bad system, just makes them bad people. If used properly it will reduce stress on you and help train your dog effectively.
>>
I crate trained my dog.

It took a while for him to consider the crate his own space, but now he goes in and out of it just fine. I leave it open when I'm home and it's in his "roster" of napping spots throughout the day.

My dog is a danger to himself though, which is why the crate is essential. As a puppy he tore up a couch, chewed through electrical cords, and swallowed a bunch of shit that he nearly had to have surgery for, so it gives me real peace of mind that he can't kill himself when I'm at work or class.

I don't think it's for everyone and I've seen plenty of dogs that thrive without it. And it's definitely something you have to WORK for. You can't just be lazy all day and then lock up your dog when you have to leave; you have to make sure you exercise him enough to the point where he WANTS to go collapse in his crate.

I didn't use the crate for punishment, per se, but I did use it for time-outs. Puppies (especially mine when he was little) can get overstimulated really fast and just go into hyperdrive. He didn't like it, but when he started zooming around the house and fucking up everything, he got put in his crate for a good five minutes. He cried at first, but ONLY if he knew I was there to listen to him, and he usually dropped off soon after. If he thought I was gone, he went to sleep immediately, the little cock.
>>
My dog growing up wasn't crate trained and my dog now is. So much better- way calmer when left alone for a bit.
>>
I've never liked the idea of crates.
>>
>>2111158
I used to not understand since my family had a greyhound that was super lax and easy going, we never crated her, not even when we brought her home from the shelter. the greyhound we have now though is super spastic and likes to have an enclosed area to retreat to
>>
It's best for puppies. Like everyone else said, getting a dog used to being caged up is necessary. A sudden emergency is going to be a lot worse when your stressed dog freaks out even more because it's never been locked up before. Plus it's great for housebreaking and stopping them tearing up the house in the night.
>>
>>2111158
>>2111169
Crates are just useful.

>>2111271
>i HATE when people abuse the crate though.. don't use it for punishment or as an alternative for socializing and interacting with your pet
Pretty much. Not only does my brother use it to punish his dog, if it makes noise in it my brother acts very aggressive towards it, stomps the floor, throws things at the crate or opens it only to crawl into it and force the dog into a corner to "dominate it".
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.