[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hear stairs are not good for dogs, which means I have a problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
I hear stairs are not good for dogs, which means I have a problem as you need to climb at least a 2 meter high stairs to even get into my house, and then you to get to the floor I spend most of my time you need to climb another set of stairs.

Now, is it true that stairs are really bad for a dog or can I get around it by being careful? I don't own a dog yet, but I have been thinking about getting one for a couple of years and have been learning about how to keep one, but if the stairs thing is true the only way I'd be able to keep one would be if I get a tiny one I can carry, or keep it outside at all times, which really isn't something I want to do.
>>
It's not advisable for a puppy who is genetically prone to hip dysplasia to use stairs frequently.

I don't think there's any real problem with young or adult dogs that are done growing, though.
>>
My dads dog (Cockapoo) loves stairs. Runs up and down them all day for no particular reason.
>>
>>2110890
Well I see my brother's dog do stairs easily as well, but I am afraid it still hurts it.

>>2110889
Do you know if this affects bigger breeds more? Boerboels are my favourite breed. Do you think if I take it slow with them up and down the stairs I could keep it from affecting them?
>>
File: 1429850904466.jpg (15 KB, 256x245) Image search: [Google]
1429850904466.jpg
15 KB, 256x245
bump
>>
>>2110892
Walking stairs takes a toll to the hips. Dont take a breed whom already has hip dysplasia genes
>>
>>2110928
Can't all breeds get hip dysplasia? Or do you mean I should get it from a reputable breeder who hasn't had problems with it?
>>
>>2110930
>Can't all breeds get hip dysplasia?

giant breeds tend to be more prone to it. Ask your breeder before adopting.

I have a couple of giant breed dogs that are noticeably .... lurky. It's hard to explain. But it's like you can visibly tell they're having trouble with their weight (they are in fantastic shape, btw, not overweight). They're also a low-energy breed, so that might influence it.

Point being, I worry about them on stairs. They just aren't built for agility training or such. Not at all graceful. A 150lb dog taking a tumble down the stairs would do a lot of damage to him/her.

As such, they're not allowed upstairs in the house.
>>
>>2110956
>>2110930
>giant breeds
Also very common in many, many medium sized dogs and plenty of smaller ones.
http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html
>>
When my dog goes down the stairs, he does it two legs at a time, and his butt Wales around in such a way his tail rotates like a helicopter :3c
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.