[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hawthoria help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Snapchat-2333262509063290793.jpg (996 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2333262509063290793.jpg
996 KB, 1440x2560
I planted pic related in my high-school botany class, and recently came to find out that my stepmom took care of it for the last 5 years. She was nice enough to give it back to me, but since she had it in the same pot as a much bigger plant, it required repotting.
I got some cactus soil and have been letting it be for a few days to take to its new environment, but recently the "stem" and base of some of the upper leaves have turned a bit red as you can see in the picture. I'm wondering if maybe the soil was too moist and it's over watered?
my Google searching would lead me to believe that it might be over watered or rotting, but I doubt rot because the red is so high on the plant. Also it seems to be growing new leaves, which to me indicates at least some level of good health.
any succulent growers on here? I'd really appreciate your help.
and I guess /houseplant/ general while we're here
>>
File: Snapchat-2614520998009065166.jpg (870 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2614520998009065166.jpg
870 KB, 1440x2560
>>2094319
Pic related is close up of new growth and some of the redness
>>
>>2094319
What temperature is it in the area where you're keeping it?
>>
>>2094319
Also, what does the red area feel like when gently squeezed, compared to the normal-looking parts?
>>
>>2094328
it is in my sunroom, which tends to be around 62-64 at night and 68-70 during the day
I keep it about a foot a picture window that faces north so it gets sun for about the middle third of the day
>>
>>2094330
Definitely a little bit squishy compared to the fuller and greener leaves at the bottom
>>
File: 2016-04-03 22.07.44.png (199 KB, 1076x1140) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-03 22.07.44.png
199 KB, 1076x1140
>>2094331
Hawthorias don't like direct sunlight that much. The redness might be a sign that it's getting too much direct sunlight, so maybe move it somewhere where it only gets indirect/partial sun?
>>
>>2094334
Good deal. I must've been too hasty to get it up and going.
How little sunlight are we talking, though? I could put in in my bedroom near my sansevria, which only get sunlight filtered by plastic blinds. Would that be too little?
I just really don't want this little guy to die
>>
>>2094339
They're pretty tolerant little guys- they're pretty popular in offices and shit for that very reason. I'd say filtered sunlight will keep them happy, but it might take a week or two for the red to go away completely. It's one of those things where caring for it too much might hurt it more than not caring enough, you know?
>>
>>2094346
Thanks for the help, dick steele!
>>
>>2094350
Sure thing. It's a cool little plant, glad you're taking good care of it.
>>
>>2094339
Id put it there with filtered light. Even if it does start to react poorly to lower light they're resilient and you could move it. I keep one by a window with the blinds partly open most of the time and it does fine.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.