[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dog/ - Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: 73206-288619-l.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
73206-288619-l.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Dog Kibble and Wet food ingredients/nutrition guide:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Dog breeds:
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/all-dog-breeds.html

Old thread reached bump limit >>2083275
>>
File: fotos-flat-coated-retriever_1.jpg (388 KB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
fotos-flat-coated-retriever_1.jpg
388 KB, 1600x899
>>2093754
first for best breed.
>>
File: 1459117478151.jpg (216 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
1459117478151.jpg
216 KB, 640x482
>>2093754

>Feeding your dog any kibble but Acana or Orijen.
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 150x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 150x160
>>2093768
>feeding kibble, period
>>
>>2093762
So goddamn generic.
>>
>>2093768
Have they done any feeding trials? I'm curious.
>>
File: CAM00073.jpg (979 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00073.jpg
979 KB, 2048x1536
Hey guys, we want to get Ahura a doggy friend, hopefully within the next six months. I picked up a couple training books, one by Ian Dunbar and another called Don't Shoot The Dog. Is there any other recommended books, hopefully geared toward bringing a new dog into the picture? We will more than likely go to a shelter unless things really work out for us this summer and I can get ahold of a good breeder.
>>
>>2093762
Tfw you misspelled "Pug"
>>
>>2093975
>can get ahold of a good breeder.

yeah, buy a dog instead of adopting one from a shelter, why do those shelter dogs deserve to live or be happy anyway?

Better spend hundreds of dollars on a dog so you can get "desired characteristics" that you could find anyway in a hundred dogs at the shelter.

Better spend more money to encourage the breeding of more dogs while other dogs suffer and die! Morally sound behavior! :)
>>
File: goodnight puppup.jpg (332 KB, 1280x957) Image search: [Google]
goodnight puppup.jpg
332 KB, 1280x957
Was it a waste of time training my pupper to sit before crossing the street?

I notice no one else in my neighborhood does it when they're walking their dogs
>>
>>2093984
Buddy, I know you're trying to troll,, but I just don't give a fuck about your opinion. You're not helping your cause by getting pissy with people on the internet.
>>
Are Shiba Inus actually meme tier? I always thought they were cute even before the doge shit.
>>
File: CAM00048.jpg (342 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00048.jpg
342 KB, 2048x1536
>>2093987
My dog yanked the leash from my hand one time when she got scared. She ran on the sidewalk a whole block, got to the corner, slowed down-almost to a full stop, looked at the street, then ran across.

I think it's never a waste of time teaching your dog to stop before crossing. I also never let my dog walk in the street, only on the sidewalk or edge if there is no sidewalk.

Pic is the big scaredy cat who has a stronger leash and harness now.
>>
I found this today and thought you guys might enjoy it
http://www.theonion.com/article/popular-designer-dog-breed-just-twisted-spinal-cor-52637
>>
>>2094029
>http://www.theonion.com/article/popular-designer-dog-breed-just-twisted-spinal-cor-52637

Beautiful.
>>
>>2093972

>generic
>overshadowed by the most common dog in existence, the golden retriever

i only have seen two flat coated retrievers in my life, and one of them is mine.
>>
File: image.jpg (350 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350 KB, 1280x960
Is it possible to train without treats? I feel like I'm not getting the results I want without them. She half heartedly gives me attention when I say her name. Telling her to sit is a combination of her pouncing my feet or walking up beside my feet. Her bathroom habits scare me because it takes forever for her to go.
>>
>>2094542
Yes it is, but clearly you can't. Just use treats, it's easy, and fast. If your dog is uninterested in the treats you got for her, give her better treats. Like some cheese or bits of meat.
>>
I'm a NEET and I love spending the whole day with my dog. It's paradise. But I know someday I'll need to get a job.

Do you feel guilty leaving your dog at home while you're at work? My dog has separation anxiety when I leave and it breaks my heart.
>>
File: IMG_20160308_103731766.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160308_103731766.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>2093762

I own a half Chesapeake Bay Retriever (chessie for short), half Labrador Retriever (lab for short obvs.). I always correct people who assume he's just a lab by claiming he's a chessie.

I get instant obscure retriever owner hipster cred like the Flat Coated Retriever guy (FCR for short), although with a much more of a working class and manly vibe, unlike the FCR's more aristocratic and European background.

Unfortunately, I recently ran into an owner of a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (NSDTR for short). The NSDTR is much more obscure than the chessie, so I had to reference the fact that the NSDTR is just a cross breed of the chessie and the Brittany (Brittany Spaniel in some countried), and that my other pup is a Brittany so essentially I'm better than her because I own the originals and insinuated that the NSDTR is more or less just a designer breed of the two mixed.

Needless to say, she just didn't get it, so after demonstrating my dog's superior retrieving skills, I left the park. I can't wait until my Brittany is old enough for the park, as by having two iconic sporting breeds people will surely assume I live an adventurous outdoors lifestyle.

Pic related, my chessie.
>>
>>2094572
Nice mutt
>>
my mutt (part border collie, medium length hair) sheds so much

i use an undercoat rake and a greyhound comb to get the undercoat out and a curry comb for the top coat, but it keeps coming out. it's endless.

im thinking of just taking her to the groomer for a deshedding. is that lazy? should i do it?
>>
>>2093988
>Ask for opinions
>Someone gives you one
>Gets upset
Timeless 4chan tradition
>>
>>2093988
I'm not trying to troll. Buying dogs as dogs languish and die in shelters and pounds is morally wrong and means you are a bad person. You can ignore this all you want but it is the truth

People who have no morals and are bad people are often shocked and outraged that actual human beings are disgusted by them.
>>
>>2094736
Partially agree, but your analogy is severally flawed.

Just because some underprivileged person doesn't get their pitbull fixed, doesn't mean I'm under any moral obligation to take in their mutts.

I'm a bleeding heart too. I don't like seeing dogs or people suffer, but it is more immoral to me to continue to burden society without even beginning to address the problem.

As a bleeding heart liberal, I support vouchers for having your animal fixed, but with very steep penalties for breeding dogs and cats without a license.

End the puppy mills. End the over crowded shelters. End the hereditary diseases and aggression. It just makes fucking SENSE.
>>
>>2094741
>analogy

I meant philosophy.
>>
>>2094741
Bleeding heart liberal, you say?

> Just because some underprivileged person doesn't get their pitbull fixed, doesn't mean I'm under any moral obligation to take in their mutts.

> just because some country doesn't get their shit together, doesn't mean I'm under any moral obligation to take in their migrants.
>>
>>2094745
I was ranting about that too, but decided it was too trollish and deleted it.

Build the wall, bomb ISIS and the cartels, don't allow entire regions to collapse in perpetuity because brain drain means everybody with the least bit of intelligence and wealth abandons their country for the US or Europe.

I'm also okay with sterilizing people in exchange for reduced sentences. Just because Hitler tried eugenics, doesn't mean the concept is outright flawed. He also loved dogs, but obviously the world didn't outlaw dog ownership.

We should encourage stupid people not to have stupid kids.

The most liberal and humane thing is to actually address the underlying issues instead of exacerbating them at the expense of others.
>>
>>2094736
the world must be so nice and clean cut for you when you can separate people into groups of "actual" and "not actual(?)" humans based on whether or not they feel a personal obligation to SAVE THE DOGZ XDDD.

G E T O V E R Y O U R S E L F
>>
>>2093984
Hol' up a minute senpai'

Are you trying to say that a pit bull some white trash got bored of and ditched is the same as a Labrador from working stock?

I don't want a pit bull (the most common dog you'll find in a shelter) because they're ugly. And I don't want a dog with psychological problems I may never be able to fix because I don't want it to snap and hurt someone I care about (as is the case for abused dogs that end up in a shelter).
>>
File: DSC01621.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC01621.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2094762
>only pit bulls and dogs with psychological problems are at shelters

pic related, my shelter dog, who is smarter and better behaved than most dogs i have ever met

owner matters.
>>
>>2094784
That dog is at least 50% pitbull. Just look at it. What do you mean it's not? Do you have papers to prove it? No? Then put a muzzle on it or next time it's going to be put down!
>>
>>2094850
that has 0% pitbull in it, More like 50% lab
>>
>>2094908
http://www.ci.kearney.mo.us/pdf/Pit-Bull-Criteria.pdf

It easily meets four of the criteria.
>Blocky head
>Eyes are round to almond shape
>Ears are set high
>Coat is short, smooth, and single coat

I would guess this pitbull mix also has the well muscled hindquarters, muscular neck, and a tapered tail, you just can't tell from this picture.

And as to the other breed, I would say German Shepard. Look at the coloring and the racist attitude in it's face. Classic GSD characteristics.
>>
>>2093984
Convince me to get a shelter dog.
>>
File: WP_000692.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
WP_000692.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>2094917
my dog is 0% pit bull, bro. It's probably, based on where i live, a hound/shephard mix.

I'm from south carolina and have been around exponentially more pit bulls than you have, it simply isn't there in him.

of course, morphology can completely betray genetics, making the argument moot.

Coat is not short, smooth, or single coat, and head is not blocky, btw.
>>
>>2094937
According to the checklist, yes that is a pitbull.

I understand southerners are less intelligent, so I've tried to explain why your dog is a but you obviously don't understand the simple descriptive terms I used.

So to put an end to this silly argument of yours, if you don't have papers proving your dog's lineage, then it can be assumed to be a pitbull and will be labeled as such by law enforcement and the media when it inevitably kills a classroom full of kindergarteners.
>>
>>2094945
According to your post, yes, you are a troll.
>>
Can I use sticks instead of treats when clicker training?
My dog won't listen much outside and offleash. It improves a bit if I have food. But she listens intently if I have a stick in hand and I give it to her when she does what I want.
So would clicker training still be fine if instead of the treat I gave her a stick and let her chew for a few seconds? Isn't the point of treats that the dog gets a nice thing, gobbles it up quickly and focuses on getting the treats instead of focusing on chewing and eating them slowly?
Or should I just ditch the clicker (which has been very effective inside and onleash) and get her used to listening when outside and offleash, and reintroduce it later with treats?
>>
>>2095417
a reward is a reward in terms of psychology.
>>
>>2094937
I would say it looks like a Huntaway, but I'm pretty sure you don't have those in America. But I would agree with the Shepherd mix thing, probably with something smaller with floppy ears, I would agree with a hound or some mixture of Labrador or something.
>>
I would like to bike with my dog. There are a number of products for sale that allow your dog to bike alongside you, but I need help deciding which one to purchase.

Have any of you anons used one?
>>
>>2094566
Not at all.

When you finally get a job and need to leave the house, just work up to it by leaving for short amounts of time. Before you leave, give your dog a stuffed Kong to chew on right before you leave. It distracts them from seeing you leave, and makes your departure much less stressful for them.
>>
I was on my way to my classroom observation today, when I noticed something thrashing in the middle of the road
lo and behold its a dog who's been hit by a car
I pulled over to see if I could at the very least get it off the road before its actually killed

it didn't look like it was damaged, no blood, none of its legs were broken, but it was just kind of flipping out in the middle of road like it was trying really hard to stand up but it just kind of flopped around instead

me and this other guy get to it and as we start to figure out what to do it kind of get up and runs off the road to the fence it presumable jumped over in the first place.
The owner came out and it took off in this weird kind of half-run. I didn't stick around because well it was off the road and i was going to be late.

Any ideas what was actually wrong with it? concussion or something? Is there anything I could have actually done for it?

sorry for being long-winded here a greentext story didnt seem appropriate
>>
>>2095566
I haven't tried any of the products. To be honest, I usually just tie a short leash around the seat stick and go.
>>
>>2095452
he is likely an american foxhound mix imo due to his legs and characteristics. he has extremely strong sniffing/tracking characteristics and basically never lets his nose off the ground, he sniffs far more than any other dog i've seen other than pure scenthounds.

this is deer hunting country, and my dog was found in the woods as a puppy, no small stretch to imagine he is the product of a lost hunting dog.
>>
I'm moving out of state at the end of May. Does anyone recommend any good calming aids for cats and dogs?
>>
>>2095701
thundershirt works for dogs. it's like fucking magic. works especially well for smaller dogs that tend to be anxious already
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 750x1334
I'm trying to figure out what breed my new puppy is. The lady I bought her from claimed she was a pure bred German shepherd but I know that was bullshit. She looks like she is mixed with a German Shepard and something else. I didn't pay that much either. Only $150. What do you think she is mixed with /an/?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2095707
Here's another picture of her
>>
>>2095708
absolutely no way to tell at that age, and please remember that your dog does not have to be a mix of two breeds of dogs. your dog is, more than likely, a mutt that is a mix of two mutts.

pretty markings! lovely puppy
>>
>>2094689
>tfw spring is coming and it's almost time for the winter coat blowout

this is my first time with a double-coated dog and I'm simultaneously dreading and looking forward to how much hair is going to come off of him
>>
>>2095730
Invest in a velocity dryer, or go to one of those do-it-yourself grooming places and use theirs, that's the absolute best way to get rid of all the shed fur before it mucks up your house.
>>
>>2095707
For your sake I hope your dog isn't a purebred gsd they have awful hips
>>
>>2093754
I need help guys, long story short my god is troubled, scared and aggresive.

The thread:
>>2095869
>>
>>2095679
I've thought about doing that but I don't want her to get tangled. I'm considering buying the Walkydog because it holds the leash away from the bike.
>>
I'll have to check back on the Doberman forum website I found but is it possible to train a dog to be a "guard dog" and be sociable at the same time? Meaning could I take him out on runs, dog parks, etc.?

Also any truth on American Dobermans being generally smaller/thinner than European Dobermans?

Thank you.
>>
>>2095989
I would not recommend trying to train for a guard dog yourself-it's too easy to fuck up. If you want an actual guard dog and not one that will just bark to scare people away, check these guys out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDaMdkrDXKE
>>
>>2096096
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEM0Frebrwk
>>
what's the best way to prepare dog? In a stew or stir fry
>>
>>2093754
The dog of my best buddy died.

He was a wirehaired dachshund and got 17 years old. He once fartet in my face while laying on my buddys sofa... I fartet back in his face.

Any tips how to comfort somebody who had his dog since he was 11 years old?
>>
>>2095703
Thanks. I thought those only worked for storms for some reason. I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>2093754
What happens when my dog can't sleep durning the night and sleeps during the day? My dog is a mixed German Shepard and is 12 years old
>>
>>2093754
I live in southern california. Is there anywhere in the LA or even OC area where I can take my dog swimming? They have swimming centers for dogs in the area but the pools are really small. My dog likes the beach but last time I went he swallowed a bunch of salt water and got digestion problems - diarreah, so preferably somewhere with freshwater.
>>
>>2093968
Touché
>>
>>2096265
Move to Michigan.
>>
File: 1326801769863.jpg (55 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1326801769863.jpg
55 KB, 500x282
Is it possible to make a 10yo female dog get used to another female if she's pretty territorial?

She's(the 10yo dog) basically an attention seeker who always latch onto any of the house family members, but is kinda aggressive to anyone else, be it dog or someone else who doesn't live in the house.

By kinda, i mean that she keeps barking to any strangers and, of course, wants to bite the shit out of any other female dog she's seen so far. Except for one we had, but she was practically raised with that one, so that may be it. She was also pretty playful with the only male dog we had in 10 or so years, but we all know that it was because she wanted the D.

Either way, we recently got a female puppy, and on her first week here, the older one bit her in the neck. A month later, we tried to get them to hang out again a number of times, every time i was watching closely or holding the older one while the puppy tried to play with her. Of course, every single time she was growling when the puppy got too close to her face. And just a couple of minutes ago, the puppy broke out of her "room" we have in the backyard, without us realizing until the older one had bitten at her again, though not as serious as the first time.

tl;dr, i have a 10yo female dog who's pretty territorial, is it possible to educate her to live along another female dog who's just a puppy still? And if so, how?
>>
>>2093968
>not feeding freshly cooked meal with 100% organics ingredients every meal time
>>
Posting since I scheduled the appointment for next week but still have some doubts:

Should an 8 year old small dog that's never had any dental work done before be put under and cleaned/x-rays done even if her teeth and mouth look "fine"? The vet I work for suggests I do the anesthesia free dental because it's free for employees, but I feel like anesthesia free is waste of time and they should be more concerned that she's never had a full cleaning done at her age.
>>
File: ^).jpg (203 KB, 2048x1532) Image search: [Google]
^).jpg
203 KB, 2048x1532
What are some methods to build confidence in my pupper? 10 weeks old, we live on a highway and she's very scared of going out the front door.

She's also fairly timid around (some) strangers. She's perfectly happy romping around the backyard even with all the sounds of the highway, but as soon as the front door is open she hides in my room.

I'm obviously not going to force her, but it would be nice to get her enjoying short walkies soon. I've considered driving down to the nearby park, (not dog park), but there are usually big dogs off-leash which would probably frighten her more.

Other than that, what are some methods to minimise biting of people and things she shouldn't? Currently intercepting her with toys or starting training sessions, but when she's playful it's impossible to get her not to pull on clothing, nip at heels, and straight up biting HARD and snapping at my face. She has a very strong jaw already and has drawn blood a couple times, I know it's a phase but any tips would be very helpful.
>>
>>2096483
When she bites you say OW and avert hee gaze for five minutes and stop playing with her. Use treats to get her out of the house but only give it to her when she leaves not before. Use treats to promote good behavior not coerce her to do what you want.
>>
>>2096548
Also socialization with other dogs will help out with the biting
>>
So my 6 month Blue Heeler barks at children. Never adults or teens, but usually children. She isn't being aggressive because a couple of kids have been brave enough to not run away, and she ends up being playful with them. However I occassionally hear a growl, but I still don't think she is planning on being violent.

Why does she do this and what can I do to fix this? Its always a pain when a kid starts crying and running away or panicking as she follows them.

I hate having to leave the dog park every now and then because of some kid being scared.
>>
>>2096548
Thanks, yeah I have been doing this, I will usually say 'ow' quite loudly and firmly and stand up and face away from her for a bit. I'm not sure she gets it though cos she's straight back to biting afterwards. As for socialisation, not many of my friends have dogs suitable for socialising her with. I've already got her signed up for one puppy school thing, should I just take her to a bunch of different ones? I want her to meet calm adult dogs too but all the adult dogs I know are either snappy or over-playful
>>
Dog had diarrhea this morning. He doesn't seem lethargic or anything, but I heard that chicken and rice helps. Is there anything else like food or medicine that I could be giving him?
>>
>live with my mom
>she has an aussie shep (10) and a cat (2)
>big house

Is it reasonable for me to buy a shiba puppy, like would i be able to socialize it with her pets? Cat and dog get along well. I know shibas are stubborn, but I have a lot of experience with dogs and i recently trained a couple of mastiffs
>>
>>2096564
>I hate having to leave the dog park every now and then because of some kid being scared.

why doesn't your dog park ban kids? mine has a sign saying kids under 12 aren't allowed in for just this reason. also that they can get knocked around by the big dogs.

if your park bans kids and they're in there anyway (as happens often at my park), tell the parents they need to leave. it's for their own kids' safety. if they're dismissive, there's usually a number you can call.

if there's no sign, tell the parents their kids need to leave anyway, because it's a safety issue.
>>
>>2093978
>>2093762

>implying afghan hounds aren't best
Low-test bait detected
>>
>>2096407
Anesthesia should be a last-resort, it always carries risk. Describe how your dog's teeth look, and his diet.
>>
Anyone here have a Chow Chow? I'm considering one for my next dog. I already have a border collie.
>>
>>2096333
>many dogs have come and gone out of the house in a span of a few years

Found the animal hoarder.
>>
>>2096741
>animal hoarder

Nah, we did used to have lodsa animals like a decade ago, but my dad's a vet, and people usually bring their pets here when he's not in his clinic.
>>
File: image.jpg (904 KB, 2448x2322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
904 KB, 2448x2322
>>2096700
She ate cheap store kibble for the first few years of her life. Then she was on blue buffalo grain free dry food before I got her for about a year. Now she's on a vet dry diet for seniors but I'm considering other options. I do brush her teeth several times a week now that I have her.

Her teeth aren't cracked or loose from what I can see. Just a little bad breath and dark buildup on her canines and molars primarily. Slightly red gums but not bleeding. Pic related
>>
>>2096483

We have a nippy dachshund puppy and a finger to the back of her throat has all but eliminated her rough play biting.
>>
>>2096575
Your vet can prescribe an anti-diarrhea, but nothing OTC I can think of.

Chicken and rice is good. Start him on that till his tummy calms down. Once he is good, you could also consider giving him a probiotic if you do not already
>>
>>2094003
train your dog not to be a fat pussy
>>
>>2096748
There are some great supplements out there that can take care of those issues without requiring a serious surgical intervention, the one I usually recommend is LEBA III because I have seen it work. I agree that you want to take steps now before they get much worse. If you can, try and replace part or all of his diet with a high-quality meat-based canned or raw diet, in order to cut down on the amount of carbs he's eating (which are probably the worst offenders when it comes to dental hygiene). Also start providing safe raw meaty bones 3-5 times a week, as the chewing action and live enzymes can clear out some of the built-up tartar and help him maintain a healthier mouth once he completes treatment.
>>
>>2096575
Usually with diarrhea you want to fast at least one meal and feed a half portion until the stool is normal again. Deviating from the normal diet can actually cause more stomach upset rather than help.
>>
>>2096766
>>2096838

I also forgot to add that we switched foods a couple of weeks ago. I did the 25% new/75% old for a while, but I think I still transitioned a little fast. He did okay for the first week, but his stools were pudding soft this morning. How long does this usually last?
>>
Does everyone here brush their dogs teeth?
If so how often?
>>
>>2096932
Three times a week. It isn't often enough, because on of them has little dog teeth in spite of being a bit dog, and his mouth is gross.
>>
>>2096298
fuck off, we're full
>>
Why does my dog keep licking my leg
>>
File: six_fish1.png (534 KB, 522x880) Image search: [Google]
six_fish1.png
534 KB, 522x880
Is fish-based dog food healthier than meat-based dog food?
>>
>>2094572
Def got some pit in her.
>>
File: 2016-02-18 07.41.07 1.jpg (4 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-18 07.41.07 1.jpg
4 MB, 2592x1936
>>2094784
Cute. Here's my shelter dog. She has come a long way
>>
>>2095452
Cute, I used to have a hunterway when I lived in nz. Never seen another dog like him. But they have all have a similar demeanour.
>>
File: 1328113944915.png (273 KB, 408x455) Image search: [Google]
1328113944915.png
273 KB, 408x455
>>2094762
>a pit bull (the most common dog you'll find in a shelter)

>tfw they're pretty famous in my country right now and you'll barely find any in a shelter
>>
>work at petco
>guy walks out of grooming salon with a pit
>little daughter says she wants to hold the leash
>thiswontendwell.gif
>automatic door opens
>dog fucking bolts
>little girl on ground crying, dad trying to catch dog

and to top it off it could have been so much worse, our dog trainer was right outside with a bull terrier in training, luckily he saw it coming and redirected the bull terrier so he didnt see the pit.
>>
what do you guys feed your dogs?
i just got my first dog that wasnt a family pet. he came from a shelter a few days ago, and the food he came with (purina 1 smart blend chicken&rice) is almost out. thus far, ive given him the kibble he came with, ground beef (some raw, some cooked- he seemed to prefer the cooked), and a can of some stuff called castor&pollux organix that he very clearly enjoyed. my plan is to feed him kibble, canned dog food, and raw and/or cooked meat. all organic stuff, or as close to it as possible. my idea is to have a bowl of kibble available all the time, and give him either fancy canned dog food or some meat around dinner time. i will probably scramble him an egg or two in the morning as well. my problem is that every source of info i find via jewgle seems to be shilling or counter-shilling or whatever the fuck, and i dont quite trust this stuff to be accurate. if you want to know, hes a 4ish year old doberman. hes a little beat up and underweight, but hes been really great so far, and i mean to have him in tip top shape asap. he listens well, doesnt fuck my shit up, hes good on a leash, and he seems to have already become protective of me. i have no idea whatsoever why someone would get rid of him, but im glad they did. if i knew who his previous owner was, i would leave a flaming bag of his shit on their doorstep once a week for the rest of my life. id post a pic, but hes sleeping and i dont want to wake him.
>>
>>2097063
Don't leave food down all the time. That way lies obesity, fussiness, and no accountability for the daily caloric intake of the dog. Have scheduled mealtimes with set quantities of food based on ideal weight and take any food not eaten up and put it away until the next mealtime (if it is something that will spoil, like raw meat, wetted down kibble, or canned food then you should refrigerate it.)

Dobermans are prone to heart disease -- it kills half of them, often quite young, and one of the symptoms is underweightness. Has he had his heart checked by a vet?

For good dog food, I would suggest checking out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and looking at 4 and 5 star kibbles.
>>
>>2096353
>cooking dog food
>>
>>2097063

Hi anon.

I feed Acana, a pet store owner red pilled me on added cereals to petfoods and most premium petfoods. Their marketing is a bit hipsterish but I cant argue with the results.

I had problems with our new puppy not being interested in food and it can cause distress but a dog wont starve itself if foods available.

The egg raw is fine and probally better but limit it to one every second day, I had problems with our dogs not eating and eating each others food. Now they have 5 minutes to eat or it gets taken away, it took 4 or 5 days and I have no problems now, I put the food down and they eat it then they play.

Be aware there will be runny poops when changing diet of your dog, stick with it for few days.

Good luck!
>>
>>2097093
he has shown good food discipline (as in he doesnt smash food until he pukes or anything. he eats until he is full and then wanders off) thus far, especially for a shelter dog that most likely came from a neglectful prior owner. once he has reached his target weight, i will stop leaving the kibble bowl full 24/7. we walk and run together at least once a day (this will increase when it gets warmer outside) so im not too concerned with obesity. are you sure about that site you mentioned? i have read various accounts of it not being legit. i dont mean to be a faggot, i appreciate your counsel. i just like to make sure about these things. and yes, he has been cleared by a vet as per the shelters standard operating procedure (they have a vet office in house), and he has an appointment next thursday to be examined by another vet. just to be sure. when we go in, i will talk with her about heart disease prevention strategies as well.

>>2097097
thanks anon, i will look into this. are you saying give him a raw egg? i had intended to just scramble it when i make my own breakfast. either way, i will make it an every other day thing.
>>
>>2097102

Yes, give him some scrambeled egg as a treat if you like but a raw egg is fine.
>>
>>2096353
>>2097096
>Assuming organic always equals better

>Assuming raw is always best even though it's been fucking proven some foods are more easily digested (therefore better nutrient extraction) when cooked

You know what they say about assuming. Makes an ass out of you and me.
>>
My dog will tolerate me brushing her back and chest but she hates having her tail groomed. I need to groom her tail though because I don't want it to mat and hurt her.

Help me please
>>
What dogs are good for traveling with?
My parents may get a new smaller dog in a year or so (our wheaten terrier passed away last year at 14) but they travel between the US and Mexico a lot (typically going to Mexico for a month or so at a time).
>>
>>2097102
>>2097110
my dog loves both raw and scrambled eggs. he gets excited and does a little dance when I start prepping for baking because he knows the egg carton is coming out soon and he'll get one.

protip: if you're giving your dog a raw egg, just give it to him whole. yes, with the shell. they like to eat them and they're fine to eat. if you're worried about salmonella, wash the egg first with soap and warm water and rinse it thoroughly. no, I'm not joking--the biggest risk of bacteria comes from outside the egg and on the shell.
>>
>>2097236
Any dog, just get them used to the car and make sure they can deal with the heat.
>>
>>2097097
update: i got him some acana. ingredients seem legit, dog loves it. good call. thanks again, anon.
>>
>>2097221
distract her with something delicious. try a kong with peanut butter or something along those lines.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (163 KB, 1200x823) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
163 KB, 1200x823
How do you feel about dog puzzles?

Do you have one?

Does your dog enjoy it?
>>
>>2097609

Glad to hear that anon! Please just bear with the runny poops, they do stop.
>>
>>2097614

Im listening...
>>
So the family has this pug who typically acts fine around anyone, but is extremely jealous of other dogs getting attention (that aren't the welsh corgi he's familiar with). This becomes a problem at extended family events, with other dogs. He's also very protective of his "posessions" (treats and things like squeaky toys).

I've been able to reinforce to him that becoming violent at other dogs = time in solitary bathroom confinement, and he's been avoiding the other (extended) family dogs because of this. Is there a way to break him of this and have him interact normally? He always watches the other dogs with an intense anger in his eyes. I'm afraid the behaviour may run too deep to be fixed...
>>
>>2097649
actually, this is the first day his poop has been solid since bringing him home
>>
>>2097659

Cool, you may find that since theres not so much fillers in Acana he doesnt need to eat as much to get his daily nutrients.
>>
>>2097614

Meh, they can be entertaining for a bit

Yes

Up until it's empty of treats and he comes up belly aching about it being empty.
>>
File: 78.jpg (177 KB, 1136x852) Image search: [Google]
78.jpg
177 KB, 1136x852
>>2097614
yeah my mum reckons it equates to teasing the dog
>>
>>2096564
I have a kelpie who used to run up to people and dogs and "rounded up" a bunch of kids. I eventually trained her (a lot of time and effort) to "stay" when approaching people/other dogs at the park. She learned stay at home, then I took her to the dog park and started her on the long lead with treats. It's difficult because they get so distracted at that age and working dogs have shitloads of energy. Also when they become a teenager they have a tendency to start ignoring your commands.

Kids shouldn't be in the off leash area of the dog park. I had multiple people yell at me to control my dog when she was 4 - 7 months when they were exercising or hanging out with their kids in the off leash area of the dog park and I was trying to train her. "Have her on the leash all the time" is not an option.

She used to growl when she was playing when she was a puppy, it wasn't violent and she grew out of it (except when we take her over to her brother's place to rough house)

Good luck
>>
An elderly couple came into work today with a saluki
Thought I'd never actually see one in person. They just looks so silly and I love it

I didnt ask them because I'd probably get some bullshit answer but how are they?
Are they comparable to greyhounds in temperament?
>>
>>2097614
When the dog has it figured out, it's just a treat dispenser. Pass.
>>
>>2097687
>Puppy growls when playing.
>Take her a lot more to other dogs and pups to play with, hoping it'll pass.
>They start growling when playing too.
>She still does it too.
>The other dogs also now do it when she isn't there.
S-sorry.
>>
File: S__2162713.jpg (308 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
S__2162713.jpg
308 KB, 1280x960
When people say square shaped dogs what do they mean?

also would you consider pic related as square?
>>
File: ChineseSharPei_hero.jpg (83 KB, 1216x668) Image search: [Google]
ChineseSharPei_hero.jpg
83 KB, 1216x668
what does /an/ think of Shar-Pei? i rarely see anyone mention them here.
i've heard they are good guard dogs but can be aggressive. is that true?
>>
>>2097790
she was a bitch in highschool musical
>>
>>2097790
they're very unhealthy.
>>
>>2097790
Extremely well-tempered, affectionate, and intelligent. Unfortunately, >>2097858 is right. These dogs were bred to be eaten, not to be kept as lifelong pets. If you do get one, be prepared to shell out several thousand dollars over the dog's lifetime

>"It's been said that if you feel like supporting your vet with great chunks of money, get a Chinese Shar-pei, because this breed is deformed in so many ways"
>>
>>2097775
means from the front
>>
If you have a Chow please tell me about your dog. I'm curious about them.
>>
>>2097886
theyre assholes
>>
>>2097935
Well I grew up with Chihuahuas so I'm experienced with assholes.
>>
What are the best tools for grooming a short but thick double coat?
>>
>>2097790

Seem to be hardie when crossed with staffordshire bull terriers, dont know about pure breds.
>>
>>2097790
a friend of mine had a shar pei that he found at a shelter. he was really nice to us, but he was nasty to anyone else or other dogs. one time though, i had a girl come over and he pulled her pants down in the process of his excitement. his name was mr. beefy. he was a good boy.
>>
>>2097614
>>2097614
Elaborate on these dog puzzles
>>
My dog just bit me, hard for no apparent reason, no growl or anything and not her general soft bite either. She is under significant emotional stress but was wondering if it could be something else?
she was not guarding food or toys not does she seem to be in any pain, she's just had a mental half hour. Her pupils are somewhat dilated and her heart rate is somewhat erratic.
>>
>>2098036
care to elaborate on what kind of "significant emotional stress"?
>>
File: 20160409_180315.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160409_180315.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
I will adopt this pup, she's from a Romanian shelter and she's in a foster home right now. Is there someone here that adopted a Romanian dog ?
>>
>>2097886
i don't own a chow chow but my grandparents have always had one so i've been around them a lot.
they're great dogs.
>>
Do yourself a favor if you really like dogs: never get a job working in kennels/boarding. Unless you absolutely need the experience for something else. I'm 8 months into a job at a clinic boarding facility and it's made me really loathe animals, and I've had previous experience training and raising them for years. It's not their fault, but the stressful environment coupled with 90% owners sucking ass at pet ownership and training...it will drive you insane.
>>
>>2098036
Rabies. Better get to a doctor. That ain't no way to go, anon.
>>
>>2098049
He probably just got done whooping the shit out of her. Got tired, felt sorry, went back and got himself bit.
>>
>>2098054

I hope your romanian... adopting dogs while theres dogs to adopt in your own country is silly.
>>
>>2097650
>>2098033
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EihTSgV-BUU

http://www.nina-ottosson.com/
>>
>>2098049
Her schedule is fucked up and our other dog is batshit crazy due to medication.
>>
Hi, I've never been here so I figured this would be the best place to ask this question I'm just curious about.

So we have a dog in the family that loves everyone, and seems to hang around my grandma and I the most. He is obviously most attached to my grandma and sees her as his mother or whatever, but for some reason every night he always comes up to my door and scratches until I let him in, then goes to bed with me. Why does he prefer sleeping with me but not her? I mean he does sleep with her, but usually it's with me. I can't really figure out why, because she has a full sized bed while I still use a twin sized. Anyone have any idea why?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2910x2089) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2910x2089
>you will never be as content as my golden napping in the grass
>>
>>2098250
Temperature, your bed is probably the most comfortable.
>>
>>2098254
Is it dead and decomposing?
>>
>>2098254
your dog is fat, feed it and probably yourself less
>>
>>2098254
Looks soft, would pet.
>>
>>2098287
I can feel her muscles and bones (and tumor) under all that hair. She's not fat. And if she is fat, then she'll be okay to live the last of her days fat and happy rather than think I've suddenly started forgetting to feed her. She's 12.

>>2098310
She's extraordinarily soft
>>
I want to train my dachshund to start hunting, but first I'd like him to master obedience. He can do standard things: sit, come, stay, kennel, down. Drop it/leave it he struggles with, when i say down he kind of hesitates and bows a little bit before going fully down. Whenever he's laying down and I say sit he just lays there and stares.
What's the standard obedience guide (commands, how to teac them, etc) ? I'd like to learn how to make him listen on a dime, so far he does most of what I say, with or without treats. Only recently does he stare when I recall, I usually do a one tone whistle, same one every time, very annoying when he runs into the street to greet some rando and then doesn't come back. I don't have a fence and he's started to run off to people (and the fuckers ALWAYS start to pet him. Leash time, but heel is a pain in the ass and he either pulls in front of me or stops and I have to call him to get him moving again.
>>
I have epilepsy and the last few years, ive noticed myself losing the confidence to go out socially. When i tell people, they usually treat me differently like im going to have one at any second. I was thinking about getting a dog to help curb the lonliness but am unsure about a breed. I am 5'5 and 110lbs, i have a huge park across the street and regularly take walks in the evenings when it clears out. My boyfriend loves dogs and wants to impulsively buy one but i was wondering what would be a good, semi quiet dog that could possibly be trained for seizure response.
>>
>>2097769
I dunno man, in my experience there's really nothing you can do about it. Definitely freaked out some people. She will still do it if I'm playing tug of war with her.

As long as she's well socialised it shouldn't be an issue, hard to explain to some people though who can't read their body language (tail wagging, bowing etc). My dog absolutely loves people (way more than dogs) so teaching her not to approach strangers was really important. People with dogs in off leash areas are usually much more understanding while you're training a young dog than the general public.

If it's any consolation, some woman threatened to call the cops on me at the park when my dog was 5 months and went hyper sprinting around her and growling because she was absolutely losing her shit, waving her arms around in the air while swearing at me to control my dog.
>>
I really want a dog.

A few years back I adopted a wonderful pit mix pupper at a shelter. Fawn, 45ish pounds when she filled out, dense muscle and stout but on the low end of height/length for a pit type. Eyes a tiny bit bulgy like a pug or boxer, a bit shorter nosed, but her build is classic old fashioned pit (lean and athletic with well defined leg muscles). Sweet, playful, talkative (rowrrororrorooow *squeaky yawn*), quick learner, eager to please, and perfectly behaved as long as she gets an hour or so of walks a day. Polite, too - if she needs to pee (or if it's time for dinner or walk) she'd walk up, look at me, and vocalize quietly to get my attention.

Right after moving into a second-floor apartment about 1.5 years after getting her, she dislocated one of her hips. Mild dysplasia, but needed surgery. No problem - got the best job done (forget the term, consisted of using a flexible pin through the ball to place it correctly and hold it in place till healed).
Problem was, I'd moved into a second floor apartment and she couldn't do stairs for 8 weeks or so.
My parents take her in while she healed (hour drive, and I was working long days) so I saw her mostly on weekends.
She's such a perfect dog that my mom can't let her go ("but you're at work all day!" "She's happy here" "I'm retired so I'm here all the time"). Honestly I couldn't argue, it was true.

So I got a couple cats, and they're great and follow me around the house just like my dog did, but there's still a pit-shaped hole in my heart.
Parents adopted another dog and they get along great and honestly have about as good a life as dogs can.

I still want a pupper though.
>>
File: sif2.jpg (45 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
sif2.jpg
45 KB, 720x540
>>2098467
my dog that lives with parents now. She's happy here, always loved the car.
>>
File: sif1.jpg (32 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
sif1.jpg
32 KB, 720x540
>>2098470
and napping
>>
File: sif3.jpg (53 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
sif3.jpg
53 KB, 720x960
>>2098471
playing!
>>
>>2098403
They usually use labradors and goldies for service dogs.

Do not go out and buy a labrador. They train them for years and only pick dogs with suitable temperaments. Can you go on a wait list for a service dog? Where I live people with disabilities don't pay for dogs, but you may wait a a year or so to get one.
>>
>>2098254
>>2098254
I am going to steal your dog unless you post more pics
>>
>>2098472
heh, just noticed that it looks like her tail is docked in that pic. It's not, just wagging too fast for the shitty camera on the phone I had back then.
>>
I'll get my killing hammers. And solve the crowded shelter problem. I'm fast and accurate. Fuck all animals.
>>
>>2098473
The only one I can find is a minimum of 3 years waitlist or something, i think.
Ill look it up but on the noise factor, how loud would a lab be?
>>
>>2098479
If trained service dog, negligible.
If not, depends on training. They're big, so they have a big bark, but they're not known for being more barky than average.
>>
>>2098347
Work with a professional trainer who knows what they're doing
>>
>>2098479
Depends on what one you get. Ours was black, gentle, quiet and smart who was easy to train and required minimum direction. Family friends had blonde, boisterous, out of control half-wit who they didn't train properly and was "sent to a farm".

See: Marley & Me

If you want to get a lab speak to a reputable breeder about getting the right one for you. Or adopt an older one. They're gun dogs so tend to have a lot of energy, especially when they're pups. Some have more energy than others, which if not properly trained is a nightmare. I can't recommend them highly enough if you want a gentle companion. Even the crazy ones usually mellow out after 5.
>>
>Give dog kong with a kong treat in, the ones slightly larger than the hole so they're hard for dogs to get out. She hasn't found out how to get the treat out of there yet.
>Dog gets mad at it.
>Throws it around.
>Ends up lying down looking intently at the kong. Trying to figure it out or still mad, I guess.
>Falls asleep there.
You're not going to figure it out like that, damnit.
>>
>>2098519
i got the 'tough' kong, one size up from recommended, and did that with my dog.

She shredded the kong in 15 minutes.

fucking pibbles
>>
>>2097775
>>2097884
pls respond.

also what do you mean?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2446x2862) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2446x2862
>>2098474
She's the happiest, gentlest dog I've ever known. She's helped me through some tough shit. No matter what, she's always happy to see me, which is something I can't say about any other living organism.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2446x2501) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2446x2501
>>2098674
She loves cooling off in the water after a hike, but strangely, she's afraid of water over her head. Goldens are supposed to love water, and she used to swim all the time, but I think she may feel too old to swim now.
>>
>>2098173
I'm not, but her foster home is in my country. Here there's some associations that helps shelters at Romania, I don't think there's a lot of people that adopts in the country. I know there sometimes dogs from the very same shelter that is in an English association or a Deutsch association. I don't think that's silly if you can help a dog not to live in a box for years even it's not from your country. Help doesn't have a frontier
>>
hello /an/, first post here i come from /fit/

i love dogs more than anything in life

ive had 2 dogs

when i had my second one put down it was the hardet moment in my life. Ive felt so empty since

i really want to have a dog around, but i feel like that dog was the REAL dog and getting a new is like a substitute, im really loyal to it

how do you deal with this kind of feeling?
>>
>>2098713
Wait a while
>>
>>2098713
do you think your past dogs would want you to not have a dog on their account? obviously they have no concept of what were talking about here, but if they did, im sure they would want you to continue to have dogs if it made you happy.
>>
>>2098254

>wrong! this dog is deceased!
>>
>couple of old japanese ladies come in with a meme dog
>admit he doesn't listen for jack shit
well at least they aren't in denial about it
also shibas are smaller than I thought they would be
>>
>>2098467
Look into ex racing greyhounds, ideally from a rescue that has a fostering period before adoption that way you should be able to know for certain whether or not the hound is cat friendly
>>
File: 20160407_134331.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160407_134331.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
Can anyone guess what breed was his dad? His mom was Chihuahua. However he is nearly 1/3 of foot higher than most Chihuahuas I've seen and the head to body ratio is much more "normal" than other Chihuahuas in sense it its fairly large head with a relatively large body.
>>
I want to adopt a dog, I am currently a student in HS so I just mostly want it for companionship and guarding. We currently have a some pigeons in cages (about 16) but the are let loose outside for a few hours. Have a small 400 sq ft backyard so I am thinking of getting a small breed. Is there a way to minimize the costs of owning a dog? I currently attend only 4 school hours and its about to be iver so I was wondering if I should get older pup or younger pup. Any recomendations tips?
>>
>>2099037
You should be in a place of reasonable financial security before adopting a pet. If you are concerned about "minimizing thr cost" of pet ownership, then you are on at a point in your life you should adopt.

You can minimize all you want until you get a $3000 vet bill. Focus on getting done with school and securing a good job.
>>
I love dogs, but I'm not great at dog body language. A friend wants me to play with her dog every day that she works. I'm cool with it, but I have an 8 month old. He also loves animals, but right now, loving something means sticking it in his mouth and sometimes biting.

I'd of course supervise all interactions, but what are the more subtle signs I should look for that I need to get the baby away from the dog? I know growling, cow eye, or stiff body are warning signs. Anything else?

Supposedly the dog is great with kids, but I want to be prepared, just in case a baby's too much.
>>
>>2099057
ears position

they go out to the side or back when pissed
>>
>>2099034
Nigga that looks like a corgi.
>>
My dog didn't like PB as a youngin, he's about 5 months old now, just gave him a kong full of PB and treats (red small one), he fucking loves it. It's natural PB with less than 3g of carbs, but when's the best time to take it away? Don't want my doge to get fat as fuck, but it's more interesting than the standard antlers and cow hooves he already likes to chew on while I do random shit.
>>
>>2099057
Don't bring an unfamiliar dog around your baby.

I don't know why this isn't common sense to you. Holy fucking jesus christ, people. I mean, jesus.

You even say you can't read dog body language but for some reason it isn't going through your mind that THIS ANIMAL IS CAPABLE OF INSTANTLY MAIMING YOUR CHILD EVEN WITH YOU STANDING RIGHT THERE WATCHING.

ARE
YOU
STUPID??????
>>
>>2099153
forgot to mention it's a chihuahua with dwarfism
>>
>>2099154
>chihuahua

congratulations, it's the dog literally most likely to attack your baby out of any dog
>>
>>2099157
Come on now. Everyone knows the dogs most likely to attack children are labs and goldens.
"Labs are a breed of nice dog, nothing bad can happen if I let the little brat pulls its ears and tails and try to ride it!" - Retards everywhere, every year
>>
>>2099153
The dog will not be unfamiliar, we're going to introduce the dog to myself and the baby first, supervised by the owner, with the owner holding the leash.

>ARE YOU STUPID??????

Are you? Why would you automatically assume that there would be no precautions? I only gave relevant information, do I need to explain the whole day to you? If you must know, I also plan on eating and staying hydrated that day, so no worries about me fainting! Oh, and I'll take a shit BEFORE I go over there, not after. It would be rude, after.
>>
>>2099150
Just... don't fill it, then? Just coat the inside and the treats'll stick inside. Put it in the freezer for a while so it lasts longer.
>>
>>2099171
Not that anon you replied to, but this has bad idea written all over it.

Wait till the kiddo is older for a dog.
>>
>>2099183
It's a favor for my friend. The dog is a wheaten terrier, and my friend is a teacher, working 8-12 hour days until the summer. I know terriers need a lot of stimulation, so I offered to come over every school day and entertain the dog. She's paying me slave wages for it, but a bored terrier is really bad, so it's a good turn.

If it's really that terrible, though, I can bring a playpen and keep the baby separated. I just thought it would be good for the baby to get more exposure to different animals, and the dog previously lived with a toddler. I know a slightly older baby that wasn't exposed to anything, and was (I shit you not) bawling his eyes out because my kitten walked up to him and tried to nuzzle him. My cousin, similarly, never saw a dog when he was a baby, and now is shit-your-pants scared of them.
>>
>>2098054
I was so excited to have my pup, I drew her. I can't wait to be outside and draw her from life
>>
>>2099230
You're getting a dog from Disneyland?
>>
>>2099191
Yes, separate them dumbass. Also no one cares about your friends cousin nephews fear of animals. We're not talking about them.
>>
File: 1460419912681.png (596 KB, 1158x566) Image search: [Google]
1460419912681.png
596 KB, 1158x566
Sorry, I didn't see this thread. Reposting:

My elderly father wants a puppy. He wants a dog to take care of and raise, and I'm enthusiastic about it. He wants a yellow lab, since he's raised one before and likes the mellowness of the breed. I've filled out an application for a local organization, and it's been approved. Caldwell (pic related) looks like the best lab pup they have, and I'm an email away from scheduling a meeting.

I personally am much more interested in a Blue Heeler. I stay athletic and would love a dog to raise lean, fit and intelligent. I want a dog I can take camping, who would serve me well as a companion more than a pet. I think a Blue Heeler fits this mold much better than a Lab. I love the idea of a diligent, intelligent, athletic dog as opposed to a cute, goofy, mellow pet.

...However, this is going to be his dog primarily and if I'm not around, I'm not sure he would be able to keep up with the wit and energy of the Blue Heeler.

We live rurally by the way, so we have extremely few options in terms of variety. Most around here are ugly pit bull mixes.

What's your input, /an/? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>2096096
>>2096099
I wouldn't train them myself as in, all in my own house. Surely there has to be classes you can take them to for such purposes.

Also, general question, how rare/hard is it to find the Red Dobermans? I saw a picture of one earlier this year and I just fucking want them.
>>
>>2099230
>not animu

2/10 u tried tho
>>
>>2097665
What do you give the dog when it gets hungry then?
>>
>>2099457
I'd go with the lab since it's what he wants.
>>
>>2099457
>I think a Blue Heeler fits this mold much better than a Lab. I love the idea of a diligent, intelligent, athletic dog as opposed to a cute, goofy, mellow pet

First of all its a dog for him, what you want is unimportant. Secondly labradors are considered to be more intelligent than blue heelers and are capable of whatever it is you're looking for in a pet it all depends on how you train him.
>>
>>2099541
Yeah this is the obvious answer, I'm just selfish I guess.

>>2099552
Hm. I thought breed was a bigger deal on animal capability. And labs are smarter than Blue Heelers? That goes against a lot of what I read, but I suppose I can see it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160412-022532.png (887 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160412-022532.png
887 KB, 1080x1920
Are these the same dog and what breed are both of them?

1/2
>>
File: FB_IMG_1443482097499.jpg (60 KB, 490x939) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1443482097499.jpg
60 KB, 490x939
>>2099721
2/2

I can't identify it on the website haha, thanks in advance
>>
>>2099721
>>2099722
same dog? doubtful
they look like they're some kind of bully breed though
>>
>>2099457
Labs can be lean, fit and enthusiastic about sports too.
>>
>>2099721
I don't think so. The dog in the first picture looks like it has some pink speckling on its nose. The pup in the second picture doesn't.

Seeing as the dog in the second pic is clearly younger, and if anything pink spots on noses appear larger when pups are younger and can gradually shrink, but not the other way around, I don't think it's the same dog.

They may be the same breed, though, or at least similar.
>>
>>2099454
I'm talking about them, because it's good for young children to not turn into enormous pussies because fhey didn't get enough exposure to different things. If you don't want to talk about it, then don't respond to it.
>>
>>2093754
how do i get my dog to walk on the leash properly? he's 14 (only got him a few months ago) and sometimes he just refuses to walk with me somewhere but he'll be happy to go somewhere else, so it's not like he's too tired to keep going. this gets annoying if i'm trying to go somewhere specific and have to pick him up. he'll also refuse to keep going if i don't let him pee on something, like someone's gate or something. how do i just make him walk properly?
>>
how do i keep my dog from barking holy shit

when I smack him it shuts him up for about a minute, then he starts barking again. How do I get the message across the he needs to shut his fucking yapper? He is only about 10 months old so he should be able to learn well
>>
>tfw your dog knocks you over while being a jackass because we walked past a yard with a dog in it
i have never felt such shame
ive only had him for a week, and we are working on anti-jackass training, but the embarrassment lingers
>>
How do I get my puppy to stop biting people? He gets adequate exercise daily
>>
>>2099791
Don't wanna sound like a dick, but why bother? Get a harness and just pull him along, but otherwise just let him enjoy the time he had left.

And it can take a while to train a dog to walk perfectly on a leash. He might be gone before he is good.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2788x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2788x2448
R8 my puppr/10
>>
>>2097775
god i love bloodhounds
>>
File: 1453046021661.jpg (1 MB, 1754x1240) Image search: [Google]
1453046021661.jpg
1 MB, 1754x1240
>in Texas visiting grandma
>house behind her has these two dogs that are always outside
>very dirty looking, but seem well fed
>one of them is very aggressive and barks/growls every time it sees me
>other one just follows it's lead
>last night it hailed very bad, like golf ball size
>90% sure those dogs were left outside during it

Poor pups
>>
>>2093754
Do dogs respect furnature more than cats? I have cat that constantly pees on the carpet, I've had it cleaned twice, and she still does it.

>>2093754
>>
>>2094762
>white trash
/nigger
>>
>>2100834
Dogs don't claw at furniture and generally don't soil carpets.
They will however chew everything wooden if they're bored or stressed enough.

Puppies will soil carpets if you let them, though. For some reason they treat it like grass and go there instead of elsewhere. And then, if they went once and nothing negative happened (no, yelling at the pup even 30 seconds after the fact won't count as a negative), they'll keep doing it. Putting a bit of white vinegar mixed with water and spraying it (with one of these plant watering bottle that can make mist) will make the puppy go elsewhere, but ideally, you're there, see it squatting, and take it out, then praise him for doing his business outside.
>>
>>2101674
i was away at college when we got this border collie (that i warned them not to get to get, but it was either that or a husky), and he fucking marks everything and anything

Is there anything we can about this at this point? He's about 3 years old, and it feels like its been getting worse as of late. It feels like the only option we have right now is just to leave him outside for most of the time.
>>
>>2101812
Find a professional trained. Long term habits are hard to train out.
>>
>>2100834
Dogs don't actively destroy. But depending on the size of the dog, they can beat the shit out of a couch or something. That being said, a bored or anxious dog alone can easily destroy your entire house... not even exaggerating.

And if your cat is soiling your carpet, then something is wrong. How often do you clean her litter? How often do you change it? When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned the box? It's a meme that cats piss outside the box because they are upset. Urination outside the box could be signs of health issues.

Unless she is declawed... if that is the case, then you should be buying litter for declawed cats. The traditional litter can be painful for them if declared.

t. More of a catfag than dogfag but still a pet idort.
>>
>>2099034
trim his nails, hot damn
>>
File: IMG_20160415_222914358.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160415_222914358.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
my dog has these things on her lower lip

is it normal?
>>
>>2102139

yes, that's normal
>>
I am having the hardest time finding a great food for my small senior dog.

Situation:
>Sometimes difficulty with constipation
>Bad anal glad smell abou once a week when relaxing at home but they are always empty when I take her to the vet and she never seems to scoot across carpet or show discomfort
>Known to have itchy and dry skin with certain foods but her coat is very nice right now
>Work for a vet but they constantly try to shill out Hills or Royal Canin senior dry food
>Vet says she seems perfectly fine

Any suggestions?
>>
>>2102203

Acana or Orijen if you dont have the time to feed raw.

He wont need to eat so much and his shits will be firmer and put pressure on his anal glands as he shits releasing them as nature intended.
>>
Just posting best dog breed
>>
>>2102206
Thanks, I'd been considering arcana heritage beef actually. I think I'd like to get a small bag and try it for her.
>>
>>2102229
that's a very unusual looking corgi
>>
>>2102232

Try something a little more exotic for skin issues, obviously she has already been eating beef it might be the issue.
>>
Found a stray dog today, She was running around the neighborhood w/o a collar. House is in the desert so it can get hot and there are coyotes. She is remarkably well behaved and tolerant of other animals but i can tell she is super anxious.

I put a leash on her and went door to door asking if anyone knew who's dog she was but nobody who answered knew. She did get very exited at one house which happened to have other dogs and she started whining so we left 2 notes because they werent home but they are home now, but wont answer the door.

This house is right across from ours and is close to where i found the dog.

Wut do? I dont want to take her to the pound, she is such a sweet dog, but i cant handle another pet right now.
>>
>>2102260

Are they retarded or something?
>>
>>2102232
can recommend acana
my dog seems to really enjoy it
>>
Do y'all ever replace the squeakers in your dogs toys? I can sew a bit and I wanna try doing it.
>>
Are there any good dog training channels on youtube? Bonus points if they're still active.
>>
>>2102260
Take her to a vet first to see if she has a microchip. If you an Amerifat, you could try to take her to the Humane Society. She'll have a nicer home there and a better chance at getting adopted.
>>
>>2102417
My dog is so brutal with soft toys he usually destroys them before the squeekers go out.

>>2102432
Obligatory ZakGeorge and Kikopup. Can we just put links up to their channels in the general the next time we make a new one?
>>
>>2102432
Kikopup
Training Positive (not active anymore but lots of good vids)
Zak George

There are probably more but those are the big ones
>>
>>2102440
>>2102441
Thanks! I've heard of Zak George but I'll check out the others.
>>
>>2102229
>le "dies of cancer at 6" dog
>>
Significant other won't allow my dog to sleep on our bed and says that will never change. It's due to minor allergies and being in general opposed to it I guess? I've offered to clean the bedsheets after letting him sleep with us maybe once a month or so but they're still totally opposed. He's small, well trained and totally crate trained so it's not like it bugs him, but I really miss having him up on the bed sometimes.

What do?
>>
>>2103029
Find another SO.
>>
>>2103029
Second bedroom
>>
>>2103029
>they're still totally opposed
>significant other
Is there something you're not telling us, buddy?
>>
I have a question about changing the dogs food. I feed him a mix of raw and kibble, usually chicken one day, and next day lamb or beef. Kibble is the same, it's just the raw meat that I change every day. I thought it would be nice for him to have some variation and not eat the same every day, but I recently heard that it's bad for them to change food too often. Is this right?

Also, anther question. I just started with the beef, and every time I feed him beef, his poop is totally black. Is that normal?
>>
File: 1460344835651.png (228 KB, 358x408) Image search: [Google]
1460344835651.png
228 KB, 358x408
A huge part of my dogs nail came off and now it looks like it has been cut in two. Basically there is this red circular thing (dunno what it is called) hanging out under her nail, and a small remaining portion of the nail left above the red circular thing. It isn't bleeding at all and my dog doesn't seem to be bothered by it (She only has licked once). I gave her some minor treatment such as soaking it in water and using disinfectant, but is there anything else I should do? I looked it up online and says that I should remove the rest of the nail, but wouldn't it just regrow normally?
>>
>>2103393
Vet.
>>
File: 1435495390627.png (28 KB, 1560x738) Image search: [Google]
1435495390627.png
28 KB, 1560x738
>>2103403
Fug alright
>>
The weather got crazy warm in just a few days where I live, and my pupper is shedding like crazy.

What are some ways to pull all the loose hair?
>>
>>2103421
With a brush?
>>
File: 1448474747879.jpg (17 KB, 450x370) Image search: [Google]
1448474747879.jpg
17 KB, 450x370
>>2093968
>feeding your dog
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.