[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here work at a zoo? How'd you get the job? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160330_200850.jpg (407 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160330_200850.jpg
407 KB, 1024x764
Anyone here work at a zoo?
How'd you get the job? What do you do?
I'm currently in uni studying zoology. Is that a good field of study to get a job as a zookeeper or curator?
>>
>>2091896
>I'm currently in uni studying zoology.
You're literally wasting your life.
>>
>>2091911
Not if they make percect grades, get close connections with all their professors and make it into a successful graduate program. But if you're doing all that you might as well go for vet status.
An undergrad in life sciences is virtually useless, coming from someone with one.
>>
>>2091954

They are wasting their time if they don't plan to pursuit graduate school. Zoology is too broad of a subject to cover adequately in a bachelors. Also, OP will be competing with people with graduate degrees for basically every job.

OP, you need to intern and volunteer. You need to pump your resume with relevant experience.
>>
Getting experience is the most important thing. Start volunteering at your local zoo. If you are good maybe they will offer you a job later
>>
>>2091896
every curator I've met has a PhD. I've met a handful of them. I think even with the PhD you still wind up waiting 20 years for someone to die so you can get a spot.
>>
Not OP, but out of curiousity how applicable is veterinary technician accreditation to a job working at a zoo or with wildlife?
>>
>>2092303

Accreditation? Almost nothing. A few years experience? a little. A few years experience with wildlife? a bit more.
>>
I seen a spot open for overnight janitor and I applied. That's it. I love cleaning the reptile room and aquarium room.
>>
>>2092310

If you like that kind of work, you could probably get a tech job somewhere. Somewhere where they are looking for someone to clean kennels and prepare food and stuff. Being a janitor/cleaner looks really good because you can say that you are happy to do the gross stuff, if it means the animals get the best care.
>>
I work as a volunteer at a parrot sanctuary and rehab center during the summer. I used to work with small animals at the local shelter and we had a Quaker parrot come in that we couldn't care for properly, so I started looking around for a place that would take him, and we both ended up at the sanctuary. It's a good place, because let me tell you, there is a terrifying amount of people in the world that will drop a couple thousand on a big bird like a Macaw or Cockatoo while knowing nothing about birds or the huge commitment they are and then act all surprised when it doesn't work out.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.