[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /an/. I have some field mouse running about my decidedly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: field-mouse.png (310 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
field-mouse.png
310 KB, 500x350
Hi, /an/.

I have some field mouse running about my decidedly non-field house. Was kinda just coexisting for a while, but I heard that they start chewing on wires and shit, and that's no good. So I got a couple of humane traps and am going to try to catch them.

Now, my question is what should I do after catching them. My initial idea was to keep them as a pet and get like a cage and shit, but I thought maybe there's something I'm not realizing that makes that not okay, so I wanted to ask if there's any reason I should like go out in to the woods and release them there or something instead.

I also figured it's possible that there might be more (I am assuming 2, at the moment, but that's based on almost nothing) and maybe they have like babies or something, so I was wondering if there's a good way to find their nest, since I don't want the kids to starve if I get their parents.

Also, if I do end up keeping them as pets, is there anything I should know? Obviously I'll look online in various places to find out how to care for them properly, but any tips and shit would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>2089570
whiskey and a pellet gun. have at it op
>>
>>2089611
I prefer vodka and a new friend, instead.
>>
>>2089613
its a date :3
>>
>>2089613
oh you meant the mouse. well fuck you too
>>
>>2089616
Don't worry anon, it can be vodka and new friends plural, so long as you and the mouse can get along. No pellet guns.
>>
>>2089618
we could probably work something out
>>
Don't keep a wild mammal as a pet jesus christ do you know anything. Also don't "coexist" with fucking rodents they will rape your car and anything else they can get into.
>>
>>2089694
It's a mouse. It's not like he's trying to keep a fucking lion. Mice are not especially difficult to "tame". I've seen adult wild mice who've been pretty much acclimatized to living as a pet.
>>
>>2089570
There's a decent number of people who keep wild mice as pets with some success, but it's more costly and it's unlikely to yield a very friendly animal. it's just generally going to be more time, effort, and money than a domestic mouse.
Wild mice are gonna need a lot more space than domestic mice just because they're used to wandering. The general rule for fancy mice is about 1 square foot per mouse as a *minimum*, but it won't work in this case. I'd go with maybe three square feet at the least. This is going to run you up at least 50 bucks, even more if you're using a glass tank. They're generally more active than fancy mice, and they'll likely devote all this time to escaping unless you give them a lot of enrichment and things to climb on. Also, if there is more than one, I'm not sure they'd live together. Fancy mouse females can coexist, but males cannot and they'll kill eachother immediately.
I would really suggest going down to petsmart and getting yourself a mouse. Two if you're getting females.
>>
>>2089694
Chill. I came here to ask about the morality of keeping a field mouse as a pet specifically because it is a wild mammal. Typically I wouldn't try, but having looked a little online it seems to be not exactly an uncommon practice, so I figured maybe it's okay, but I wanted to make sure.
Also, they've been here for like months now and everything's fine, I just don't want them fucking with my wires, which they have yet to do. Zero problems and my car seems to be well away from where they roam.
>>2089699
I figured it would be more difficult and less likely to yield a friendly animal, but if I can do it then I'd rather do that than dumping them in the woods, where I imagine the life expectancy goes down pretty good from what it is for them just being in my house.
Thank you for the information about containment and particularly coexistence between different sex mice. I was worried about that. I can handle the initial cost of getting a good enclosure, though.
Really, my main concern here is what is better for the mice. Say I get a nice enclosure with lots of shit for mouse fun, feed them right, properly, don't put two males together, etc. Would this be a better thing to do for them than putting them in the wild? I feel bad about removing them from my home, so I thought that maybe this would be better. If it's not then I'll just put them outside and continue on mouseless.
>>
>>2089878
Oh, someone I was talking to just brought up a good point that I'd like to ask about.
They thought that, if I went for the release-them scenario, that I should try to catch all of them first. They were talking to a person that caught, I think, 6 total in his home and released them all at the same time, since he said they had a nest and were apparently family. I'm not sure how he found the nest, she said "he just said that he 'followed them' back". Point is, should this be a concern to me at all? Like does it matter at all to the mice, or are they basically lone wolfs that just can happen to have a shared home?
Also, would them being family change the idea of coexistence between males?
>>
>field mice in my house
>my two cats catch and kill them at like 3am across the span of 4 days whenever I'm asleep and can't catch the mice before the cat hurts them
>just wake up to a dead mouse next to my door

sorry mice ;_;
>>
I just killed two mice with a hammer.

Fucked with live traps, they just come back inside somehow.

Fucked with snap traps, they refuse to fall for them.

Had to use glue traps. Then I wind up with two mice in glue traps.

Initially I figured asphyxiation would at least be a quicker death than... whatever, starvation or shock. So I put the first one in a plastic jar with a lid expecting it to pass out and expire, but an hour later it was still breathing, just frantically.

Then everything online said to build a little gas chamber and introduce CO2 via baking soda and vinegar, but I don't have vinegar because I'm neither Italian nor Bill Nye.

So everything then said to hit them with a hammer. So I hit them with a hammer.

Before that I considered putting them outside for predators or something, but that would be even worse because the predators would get fucked up by the glue traps.

I don't even know how they got in. They just showed up and started shitting all over my stove.

Why can't they just make it easy?
>>
>>2090820
>come back inside
>glue traps
How are you fucking up so hard?
If you catch a mouse in a live trap, drive in your car to a place that isn't near your house before releasing.
If you catch a mouse in a glue trap, kill yourself along with your catch.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.