[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We got Easter bunnies. How the hell do I take care of them properly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: bun.jpg (114 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
bun.jpg
114 KB, 1252x1252
We got Easter bunnies. How the hell do I take care of them properly? They have a cage, rabbit food, and each other. Both are supposedly male. What kind of toys do I need to get them? Right now they have newspaper as bedding. What is the proper bedding? Why do they poop so much? How do I socialize them? Do they like running on wheels? Why do people do this? ;-;
>>
you really should research before you get any pets

try googling "how to care for rabbits"

you have the internet at your disposal, don't be so lazy
>>
>>2089513
>implying I wanted these shit machines
>>
Given that this isn't a troll, I'll tell you that, because you were irresponsible and impulse-bought an animal with rather intensive care requirements with no prior experience or research and are now asking an anime image board for help when there are thousands of available websites available to you via a quick Google search, you will be met with nothing but criticism and anger here.
>>
>>2089516
>reading comprehension
>>
>>2089515
>>2089518
>I'm just going to passive aggressively greentext at these people because they called me out for being a fucking idiot

Use Google and get the fuck out, kiddo
>>
>>2089521
>>/an/
>>
>>2089524
(You)
>>
File: 443218.jpg (860 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
443218.jpg
860 KB, 2560x1600
>>2089530
>CAW CAW
>>
>>2089524
Google and house rabbit society.....stupid faggot
>>
My parents had like 8 rabbits, in cages that were sorta off the air
They were being raised to be eaten (Not this same species)
They literally left a stack of shit, they are nasty animals.
I personally would not have one as a pet.
>>
>>2089515
>shit machines
get a littler box, also let them out of their cage
>>
>>2089512
you poor bastard
Rabbits aren't like Guinea pigs or some shit, their upkeep costs as much/is as involves as any cat or dog.
who's the dipshit responsible foe tossing them at you?
>>
>>2089512
get them a litter box, rabbits poop a fuckload. It makes for good fertilizer, though, if you have a garden.
90% of their diet should be hay and food pellets. Timothy is best, no alfalfa. supplement their diet with some leafy greens and sometimes fruits, They fucking love bananas. Be careful with the fruits though cause too much sugar can fuck with their digestion. No stone fruits like plums or apricots or anything in that family, those are poisonous to them. Always make sure they have water when they eat.
it's also important to let them out every so often so they can stretch their legs, make sure they're someplace safe where they wont squeeze under anything or chew any wires. it's best to do this indoors, but if you're letting them outside (which I don't recommend), monitor them constantly. they'll eat shit they shouldn't, dig holes, and are vulnerable to hawks.
in general rabbits don't like being picked up, and will kick furiously if you do, and can injure themselves, so be careful with that. You can find decent rabbit bedding or toys at most pet stores, just check in the places they keep rodents.
don't get them a wheel, thats stupid.
as far as socializing, just give them pets and rubs. if they aren't aggressive at this point, you don't have to worry about to much there, they can still give you a nasty bite when agitated though. I've bled more to rabbit bites than either dog or cat bites.

are they neutered? if not, get that taken care of.
>>
>>2089561
So your parents didn't clean the cages? All animal shit will stack if you keep them like that. Their shit is easier to deal with than dog shit.
>>
http://rabbit.org/frequently-asked-questions/
>>
>>2089512
Make sure you give them a big enough cage, too. Not just a tiny pet store cage with two square feet of space.
While you're at it, you can kill yourself for impulse purchases
>>
>We got Easter bunnies
Things shitty pet owners say
>>
If you ended up with two males you should try to get some things for their cafe to keep them entertained and they don't end up fighting and one gets injured.

Perhaps some glitter or leather chaps. Once they are playing with those you can introduce some bunny butt plugs. Don't forget the mini rubbers. We don't want them contracting bunny AIDS because that wouldn't be funny.
>>
>>2089617
Guinea pigs are like that too, bad example.
>>
File: Easter bunny.jpg (28 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Easter bunny.jpg
28 KB, 300x225
>>2089512
DO NOT use cedar shavings as bedding, it screws up their respiratory system and will make them sick. ALWAYS use Pine shavings.Newspaper and pellet bedding will get stinky pretty fast.
As far as food goes, use lots of hay. Not just timothy hay, but various hay. They also like clover and various greens. DO NOT feed them iceberg lettuce, that will make them sick. Rabbits like carrots (surprise), but don't give them more than 3/4 of an inch per day. Same for bananas. Rabbits also like yogurt and berries like raspberries and strawberries.
Rabbits are naturally litter box trained like cats. It will not be hard to teach them to poop in a cat box.
For toys, don't go spend a bunch of money. Cheapest and best toys for bunnies are empty toilet paper rolls--they love that shit.
You can pick up a bunny safely and painlessly by grabbing it by the neck scruff behind their ears. DO NOT pick them up by the ears. Ever.
Favorite bunny scratch spots for petting is on their foreheard and jowls, then ears and back.
Give them plenty of room to run around.
You can lease train rabbits like you can cats and dogs, but it's not recommended to take them out into public ask they are animals of prey and easily frightened.
Get them neutered ASAP, males will fight when they get older.

Source: I used to run a rabbitry of 300 rabbits as a business. (Pic related, one of the many rabbits I had)
Note: rabbits DO NOT lay eggs.
>>
File: IMG_1912.jpg (206 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1912.jpg
206 KB, 640x480
Dumping a few bunny pics as they are freakin' adorable.
>>
File: FG Gayle 9-12.jpg (13 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
FG Gayle 9-12.jpg
13 KB, 300x225
100 of the rabbits were Flemish giants.
(Stop what you are doing and google that)
>>
File: DCal1kits.jpg (76 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DCal1kits.jpg
76 KB, 640x480
Baby bunnies are born hairless and ugly af.
>>
File: Cappy Easter!.webm (478 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Cappy Easter!.webm
478 KB, 720x404
>>2089512
>>
>>2090047
>You can pick up a bunny safely and painlessly by grabbing it by the neck scruff behind their ears
depends on the size of the rabbit, some bigger breeds this isn't really an option
>>
>>2090059
serious question, why doesn't that giant rodent try to eat the birds?

cows eat birds
>>
>>2089512
They both really have to be neutred or else you'll soon have a dead bunny and or two very damaged bunnies. Males bite off other males testicels in the nature so....
>>
>>2089617
My bunnies cost at least three times as much as my two dogs, they are very expensive animals!
>>
>>2090181

>paying for rabbits

Wut.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91 KB, 500x374
>>2090140
Capybaras are chill af
>>
>>2090140
https://youtu.be/NIwnebQsJb8

CHILL!
>>
>>2090494
wasn't zootopia mammals only?

because fish, reptiles and birds cannot be culturally enriched.
>>
File: ph_9434_32267.jpg (106 KB, 720x497) Image search: [Google]
ph_9434_32267.jpg
106 KB, 720x497
>>2090202

You know who else is chill as fuck? Cassowaries.

Invite them to hang out in your house some time.
>>
>>2090513
That's not even funny, bro.
>>
File: cassowary-chicks-c-derm.jpg (249 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cassowary-chicks-c-derm.jpg
249 KB, 640x480
>>2090518

puhleeese anon

we are so cold and lonely outside and just want to be your friend
>>
dont forget they live over 10 years
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (33 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
33 KB, 400x268
>>2090513
Gee, I wonder who could be behind this post...
>>
>>2089521
yeah, because rather than helping him telling him to google it and jumping to the conclusions isn't passive aggressive at all
>>
>>2090200
You need to buy them food, toys, veggies, more toy cause they chew a lot. I easily use about 375 dollars a month about 4500 dollers a year on my bunnies. My two dogs a chihuahua and a danish-swedish farmhound cost me togerher about 800 dollars a year about 66 dollars a month, and thats with full medeical cover and insurance plus dog food.
Bunnies are expensive as hell, but they are the cutest lilltle furballs and i think every dime is well spend <3
>>
>>2090791

>375 a month

What the fuck.

>toys

What the fuck.
>>
>>2090793
They need to be activated so they dont get to fat, have fun and don't feel the need to fight?
They are free roamers and since they chew a lot their toys have to be changed often and they also eat a lot. You can't just buy the cheap food from the store it contains grain which will make your bunnies fat, and i have a bunch of them so they eat about 15-17 kg of bunny pellets a month which is expensive when you buy the healthy version, plus they need a variarity of healthy veggies every day, at least three different types a day and at least two of them should be veggies that makes the bunnie chew right so theit teeths don't get to long. The cheapest about my bunnies are their hay which they also need and unlimited amount off or else their systems will fuck up. They need to always eat or their kidnys will shut down in less then a day. I have that meaning that if you get an animal you go all in, its your job to make it good for your animals so if to make my bunnies perfectly happy i have to spend 375 or more dollars a month i would gladly do it, cause i love my furballs <3
>>
>>2090797
you can do all o' that without spending 375 a month, m8.
>>
just checkin in to say fuck impulse pet buyers, pet gift givers, and ESPECIALLY people who buy rabbits at easter. fucking idiots
>>
>>2090797
do you feed your rabbit activated almonds anon? how do i activate my rabbit?
>>
>>2093158

Wiggle their tail like they wiggle their nose and it'll create sustainable energy.

That said, my rabbit just enjoys playing with toilet paper rolls or napkin rolls or hiding in upside down boxes. My mom got a box from Build-A-Bear from one of her colleagues and before she (the rabbit, not my mom) chewed that up she had made a nice door and two windows to look out of.

Rabbits are really, really easy to entertain. At least mine is, somewhat. She mostly just likes relaxing and watching things though, she only gets the hankering to play once in a while. It interests me that rabbits have different personalities and I would like to see some other ones because my rabbit is honestly kind of an asshole. I don't think a lot of people would put up with it, but I love her all the same. Despite being an asshole, she's very loving and at least calm. I guess she's not an asshole, just territorial and easily annoyed.
>>
get them neutered
they can be litter trained and they will behave just like cats
if you don't get them neutered they will fight, hump and be unable to be trained.
they need lots of space.
more than 50 percent of their diet should be timothy hay (sold at all pet stores)
give them a bit of parsley or bok choy (alternating each day) and some pellets aswell
do not give them lettuce
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.