[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got a 20 gallon tank. What should I put in it? Pic related;
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: redtail3.jpg (21 KB, 654x399) Image search: [Google]
redtail3.jpg
21 KB, 654x399
Just got a 20 gallon tank. What should I put in it?

Pic related; saw them at the pet shop, and I really like sharks so I think I might get some of them.
>>
File: images-29.jpg (9 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
images-29.jpg
9 KB, 276x183
Get a cuttlefish man they're the bomb
>>
both f those creatures are bad for a tank that small.

Get dwarf cichlids and plants. They'll have bebes and make little paths.
>>
I really like sharks though. Are there any sharks that i can put in it? I mean, the pet shop had like 20 of these things in a smaller tank
>>
>>2088576
water
>>
Just look up a caresheet on google for the type of shark you want to get op, you might only need a ten gallon upgrade. Either way, you should have the caresheet so you don't accidentally kill your new pet because pet stores usually don't know how to take care of animals well.
>>
>>2088599
Thanks, dickhead

>>2088601
A caresheet for a fish? It doesn't take a genius to feed a fish once a day
>>
>>2088592
>the pet shop had like 20 of these things in a smaller tank

That's because of one or more of three things: pet shops have a very limited amount of space to work with, the fish sell at a rapid rate, or they simply don't care. It kind of sounds you're trying to excuse cramming fish that are ill suited into a small tank for your personal pleasure. If you truly do like them as much as you claim to then you should get a bigger tank and maybe keep the smaller one as nursery if they start breeding.
>>
>>2088602
>He thinks feeding is all you have to do

It's more than just feeding the fish anon. Water changes, illness/parasite treatments, figuring out the appropriate tank size and what fish can coexist with what and for how long, and this is just the start. If that's really your mentality then god help you if you ever try doing a saltwater tank. You're really starting to make it look like this isn't the hobby for you.
>>
>>2088603
Fish don't have emotions, it won't care what size it's home is as long as it's alive

>>2088605
Do people who own cats or dogs call that a hobby? u guys are elitists, it's a fucking fish and you're right, I don't want to be in that hobby because you sound like snobs. I just want a shark
>>
File: 1435352282772.jpg (60 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1435352282772.jpg
60 KB, 500x375
>>2088609
>Do people who own cats or dogs call that a hobby?
Yes. That's why cat/dog shows exist.
Fish may not have emotions, but that doesn't mean you go shoving one in a tank that's too small for it to move around properly as it gets bigger. Would you go shoving an oscar into a five gallon tank and expect it to live long?

We're not even acting like elitists either, just trying to make sure you keep the damn fish alive for more tan a few months. I couldn't give any less of a fuck what you want if you're not going to care for it right. You came to us, so don't go getting butt blasted when you hear something you don't like.
>>
>>2088611
I'm not the one trying to shove elitist opinions down other people's throats. Not everyone that owns a cat or dog goes to cat/dog shows. And I've never seen a fish in a tank that was too big to move around. They adapt to their environment.

I wanted some ideas for what to put in a tank, not some hippies telling me fish have feelings
>>
>>2088623
We're not talking about feelings, we're talking about what's best for the fish. You don't keep a Great Dane in a one-bedroom apartment, and you don't keep a fish in a tank far too small for it. If you really want a fish, you're going to have to settle for something small unless you're willing to upgrade your tank, otherwise you will not have your fish for very long.
>>
>>2088625

>http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/10-best-apartment-dogs
Apparently you do keep a Great Dane in a one bedroom apartment. Any other words of wisdom?
>>
>>2088630
Huh, I actually didn't know that, I just named the first big dog breed that came to mind.
>>
>>2088576
red tailed sharks are dickheads. I had a few for awhile and I had to give them up because they would spend pretty much all day chasing the other fish.
>>
>>2088602
Ok, well consider this:

-Your spending the money to watch and interact with something fun/interesting

-If it gets ill, you will at the least have wasted money and not have something interesting to watch, at the most will have to spend more time and money trying to make it better

-The fishes water has to be clean in order for it to live just like our air has to be clean in order for us to breathe

So really you're looking at a five minute read, versus wasting more money and time when you have to get a bigger tank, or figure out why the water is turning green, or why he is lethargic. It's honestly just more productive to do those things in advance and it's kind of fun because you're learning something about this little creature that the average person won't know.
>>
>>2088634
something like a malamute would probably the worst thing for an apartment life. big, high energy, and sheddy.
>>
>>2088630
haha, you anons are all so silly. You can keep any dog in an apartment as long as it's needs are being met.

There is a lady that jogs with her husky every day up town, and in the evening, and then her and her husband take the husky and their german shepherd to the park sometime during the day as well. They live in a regular apartment.

It's not the apartment, it's just being responsible and knowing what you're taking on in the dog.
>>
If you're trolling then congrats. If you're not, don't own fish moron
>>
>>2088576

Fun fact: red-tailed sharks are now extinct in the wild. The aquarium industry is the only thing keeping them alive.
>>
>>2088623
>Elitist
There you go again with that word. We're trying to help you keep the fish alive and healthy you moron. Anything can be considered a hobby if done on a repetitive basis for the sake of amusement. As for the "they adapt to their environment" bit, sure, they adapt. That is if you consider stunted growth and stress adaptation. If you honestly expect me to believe that you've never seen a fish in a tank too small for it then you're either full of shit or beyond our help. The oscar comparison I gave you was a perfect example of a fish being too big for a certain. environment
>>
File: 20151123_173202.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151123_173202.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>2088592
There are some very cool really small tanganekan cichlid breeds. Also a better option if you have hard water where you live.

Pictured my 75 gal Tanganyikan, with a few frantosa thrown in
>>
>>2088996
>tang. cichlids that need hard water
>pleco from South America
All of my fucking what?!
>>
>>2088576
Get a couple of Discus and a pleco
>>
Look op. if you auctually care about fish and cant take no for an answer get out of the fucking hobby.
Simple as that
Its a life no matter how emotionless it is.
If you auctually care about your animals then take the proper care of them
>But they adapt
yeah try putting a whale in a swimming pool sea world has and they all die.
So if you want one then upgrade your fucking tank
>>
>>2088592
No not really.
Mollies are cool though
>>
File: Screenshot_234.png (258 KB, 646x339) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_234.png
258 KB, 646x339
>>2088592
Hold on op.
Scissor tail rasbora
may not be a shark buts its close.
>>
>>2088609
>I really like fish but i dont care if they suffer all their life and are riddled with diseases :D
>they are just fish bro its ok if you torture them. You are such elitists guys xd
People like you really are the worst
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.