[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smartest Insect/arachnid/similar animal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: overall_anatomy.jpg (19 KB, 474x414) Image search: [Google]
overall_anatomy.jpg
19 KB, 474x414
So? Which is it?
I think it's the one with the most neurons in the brain. Probably a cockroach.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imbURfauJW8
>>
probably ants or their relatives.
>>
>>2085032
Yeah but ant's are hivemind, not one mind
>>
>>2085035
edit: they are hivemind, not one insect
>>
>>2085035
when it comes to individual intelligence bumblebees are probably the smartest.
>>
>>2085037
http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/brainy-bumble-bees/

found this, pretty interesting.
>>
>>2085038
i wud love to observe bees this summer, my parents are going to buy flower seeds soon, are there some they prefer more than others?
>>
>>2085044
We're also getting flowers not only seeds.
>>
>>2085044
it would probably be better if you aim on creating suitable habitats for their nests instead.

other than that, every native flower mix should work.
>>
>>2085049
I'm so scared of bees and wasps though. Especially the fat carpenter bees, or whichever those black ones are.
One time i think they had a home in my outdoor deck. And i think a certain type of bug got in. I would hear the digging through the wood daily, and soon enough i would see those bee heads dropping out of the holes. Lol. There was no more hair on them, just a skeleton type thing of their head. Like a shell or skin or something.
>>
>>2085067
they don't harm you if you don't harm them.

it's just wasps you need to watch out for.
>>
>>2085069
Oh. What's so scary about wasps though. Will they sting me without warning? There are more wasps here than anything else :(
Perhaps i can introduce a natural predator of wasps in my backyard. So far i have a bird feeder.
>>
>>2085072
edit: bird feeder for the small birds that llike chasing things like moths/butterflies
>>
>>2085072
there's nothing scary about them, but they tend to go after anything sweet so they'll bother you if you're outside with a drink or something.

(bumble)bees don't tend to do that.
>>
File: RobotBug5.jpg (65 KB, 1024x840) Image search: [Google]
RobotBug5.jpg
65 KB, 1024x840
>>2085076
If only there was a robotic bug that went around the neighborhood detecting wasps nests and eliminating them from existence.
>>
>>2085091
wasps are needed, they're predators that keep other annoying animals at bay.

it's just that they don't go well with lemonade.
>>
>>2085092
oh. Well i guess we'll just get a lot of pretty flowers and hope bees come by. Last summer it was kind of fun watching this one bee avoid an orb weaver web in my backyard. After it tripped in it once it didn't make the same mistake again.
>>
>>2085100
I seeded the patch of grass that grows next to my house with native bird and bee seeds.

the entire block was renovated last year and birds tend to stay away from 'new' houses, so I'm hoping there'll be more birds this summer.

I plan on putting some anti-cat shit on my fence as the current barbed wire isn't helping much with keeping them out as much as it is as keeping them in, and my neighbours just get new cats when I dump their old ones at a shelter.
>>
Brown recluse.
>>
>>2085101
Have you exhausted diplomatic efforts yet?
>>
>>2085107
it's against the law to let your pets wander freely here but there's no one enforcing that law.
>>
>>2085027
>portia

This desu.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.