[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a fisherman and unifag going to school to become a fishery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: guardian-sucks-because1.jpg (16 KB, 547x157) Image search: [Google]
guardian-sucks-because1.jpg
16 KB, 547x157
As a fisherman and unifag going to school to become a fishery biologist, it pisses me off how many major media outlets (most notably the shithole known as "The Guardian") continues to spread lies about the status of fish stocks, sustainable fisheries, along with many other "enviro-myths" (like the Pacific Garbage Patch). I can't be the only one who notices how alarmist the media gets about these kinds of things. I always thought Fox News was an extremely alarmist media outlet (mostly about terrorism), but...god damn The Guardian's pseudoscientific alarmism about fisheries and the environment is just astounding.

Sorry for the rant but I felt like it needed to be said.
>>
>>>/pol/ is that way shill
>>
>>2081072
Shill? How? Who am I trying to support in this situation? I'm just giving an opinion.
>>
The garbage patch is a myth? Source?

Anyway, who even cares OP? Like even if what you said is true, its probably much better to have the general public be concerned with overfishing than them not giving a shit.
>>
The guardian is sensationalist about everything, it's not a conspiracy to stop you from doing that stupid thing you want.
>>
>>2081089
They're far from being worst. In fact I enjoy many of their articles.
>>
>>2081095
You're dumb white trash
>>
>>2081085
Not OP but :
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4132
>>
>>2081070
a couple years back I read "Silent Spring" and stood in awe of the terrible damage we were doing to the planet.

So many dire predictions! The honey bees would be extinct in just a few short decades from the use of neonicotinoids!

Then I looked at the copyright date of 1962 and noticed she was citing science from 1947...

The bees haven't gone extinct, there's far more of them now than there were in 1947 or even 1962. Then I realized environmentalists are STILL hyping this "catastrophe."

But if you REALLY REALLY believe your bullshit is for a good cause, it's alright? Right?

It's not just the Guardian. It's environmentalists and much that passes under the guise of environmental "science" as well.
>>
>>2081070
>Fisheries collapsing all over the world is a myth
The millennials will kill humanity.

Or this is just bugguy.
>>
>>2081076
You're shilling for business interests and you're giving a retarded opinion. And more than that it's simply wrong, because this is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of facts and yours don't match reality. I refuse to believe you're going to school to become a "fishery biologist" and you don't know basic fucking shit about the state of global fisheries. There is no way even AMERICAN education standards are that foul yet.
>>
>>2081153
>The honey bees would be extinct in just a few short decades from the use of neonicotinoids!
>Honey bee collapse didn't happen
>MUH SILENT SPRING IS FALSE
Gotta love anti-environmentalists. They're always so wrong. Even AFTER the fact, somehow.

Alright, this is obviously some anti-environmentalist corporate shill thread. Reported. Get the fuck out, OP.
>>
>>2081153
To me it's a just cultural counter-reaction to the previous attitude of not giving a shit about environment. China is going through similar shift now. Maybe it goes a bit overboard too in some aspects.
>>
>>2081322
Well it's gone full reverse at this point and anti-environmentalism is now MUCH more popular than environmentalism and every other millennial now is an edgy tryhard, nature-hating hypercapitalist that would make the robber barons blush.
>>
>>2081325
>anti-environmentalism is now MUCH more popular than environmentalism

That I would find surprising, but if it's true I would be worried.

I can understand if it's just them being leery of Greenpeace or something. I don't exactly identify myself as an environmentalist either, not that it really has anything to do with Greenpeace. I appreciate the Green Party in my country, but honestly they're too much ideological rhetoric and little actual solutions.

On the other hand, I guess being a reasonable environmentalist is just what I expect of human beings. Maybe the image of an environmentalist has changed, just as the image of a feminist has changed (the different waves). I don't know.
>>
>>2081070
>pacific garbage patch
apparently it's all microplastics
still, it's documented
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41rO7mL6zM#t=1094
>>
>>2081325
as per your chart, not being an environmentalist =/= being an anti environmentalist
>>
>>2081085
Depends on the definition of garbage patch.
There isn't an island you can walk on, but there's definitely a large area with a high-ish concentration of small bits of plastics and stuff.
>>
>>2081153
To be fair, Silent Spring helped push laws that restricted the use of DDT, among other things.
>>
>lies about the status of fish stocks, sustainable fisheries

Dude, the pacific sardine stock just collapsed last year because you retards kept overfishing them.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/a_little_fish_with_big_impact_in_trouble_on_us_west_coast/2887/

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/analysis/2015/03/06/bad-news-on-the-west-coast-pacific-sardines-are-collapsing

Yes, it's all a lie goyims. Keep going on as you were going just like Rupert Murdoch wants you to. Ignore all the extinctions along the way.

If you're going to be edgy, just be edgy.
>>
>>2081450
sardines don't even taste that great, what are they even fished for.
>>
>>2081496
pet food and health supplements.

anyways, I like sardines.
>>
>>2081499
it's kind of ironic how animal rights activists cry about hunting yet contribute to the extinction of sardines by feeding their 10 cats Whiskas or some other shit brand like AvoDerm.
>>
>>2081507
you can look anywhere and find hypocrites.

I've never heard anyone cry about the plight of the sardines, but I don't purchase pet food so I guess I can take the moral high ground here 0:)
>>
>>2081511
sardines are an essential filter feeder in ocean environments. that's the reason they became a diet fad in the first place, because filter feeders don't absorb muh methylmercury as much as predatory fish like tuna.

Nobody cried about it because the sardine industry shilled for years telling us they were doing it sustainably. They weren't, and now west coast fisheries are fucked.
>>
>>2081533
what would happen if they went extinct.
>>
>>2081537
>how does I red charts

bugguy this is dumb even for you
>>
>>2081537
World War 4.
>>
>>2081539
all I want to know is how long it will take for the ecosystem to collapse to a point that our living conditions will drop dramatically.
>>
>>2081541
>to a point that my living conditions will drop dramatically

ftfy

>implying you give half a rat's ass about the fishermen and their income who will suffer as a result of this or the experiences of any living thing human or otherwise outside of your little shitposting bubble
>>
>>2081550
that doesn't answer my question.
>>
OP Here:
Holy shit I left this thread overnight and god damn so much cancer.
>>
>>2081314
I never said that. The claim that I was addressing was the "tuna stocks have depleted 70%". While tuna stocks have fallen, they haven't collapsed that much.
>>
>>2081317
Do you really believe you know what I'm saying. I KNOW fisheries worldwide have collapsed in the past, and I know some still are. But I wasn't refuting that fact. I was refuting other false claims.
>>
>>2081319
Wow, you're just a fucking autist, aren't ya?

I'm not anti-environmentalist. I AM an environmentalist. I'm just not a RADICAL enviro. Difference between me and them is that I trust observational data, not scare stories. I'm not shilling for big business. Where the fuck did that even come into play? This isn't a "corporate shill" thread!

I was referring to A HANDFUL of statements made BY ONE MEDIA OUTLET. Yet somehow you try to shove your political views down my throat. I'm not even a fucking republican! So many assumptions. So much cancer.
>>
>>2081450
>because you retards kept fishing them
>implying I'm a commercial fisherman

I'm aware of the collapse! But I wasn't talking about sardines. I was talking about tuna/mackerel. Yes, tuna/mackerel have decreased (some more than others), but not anywhere near the amount they are suggesting.
>>
You autists need to read these:
http://cfooduw.org/myths/
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.