[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shellfish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-03-12 19.19.11.jpg (2 MB, 2829x1590) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-12 19.19.11.jpg
2 MB, 2829x1590
Can we have a shellfish thread? Do these exist?

I just went clamming today, in Northern Washington. Miserably wet, pouring rain, 30mph winds, but we took home over 320 clams in our group. While washing some off in a net sack I came across pic related.

I showed family and friends, and stuffed it in my jacket pocket. Long story short, when I brought it back to camp I discovered two tiny crabs (each less than 1/4in big) and a living barnacle took refuge inside/on it.

Here are my questions:
What species crabs are they?
How big do they get?
Can I keep them alive?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture of the crabs, since they quickly scurried deep into the shell. A brief description: light blue, even lighter underbelly, pearly white claws (?), pinkish around the edges. I'll see if I can get a picture later.

I did, however, snap several pictures of the barnacle and got a few vids, but still need to convert them to .webm (sorry about potato quality, used my phone). I'll dump them when I get the time.

Thank you all in advance, and enjoy this creepy so of a bitch.
>>
What temperature is the water normally? is it coldwater? or tropical? Could possibly be kept alive. Would be really neat. You should sent them to me so i can put them in my nano reef :)
>>
Don't be shellfish, OP.
>>
There are tiny little crabs in the Puget Sound that look like cold water hermit crabs. They're super adorable. Maybe that's what you found?

When I was living on a boat, I kept one of those tiny, adorable shore crabs and a sea anemone as pets. I would give them high and low tide every day and feed them whatever I was eating. They lived pretty well and seemed healthy. Of course, I was living on a boat so I was surrounded by sea water to give them fresh water and movement every day. Living on the boat made their care super easy tier.
>>
i have a crab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6eBirxWZBQ
>>
>>2082906
Thats a patriot crab not a blue land crab.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.