[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animal Conservation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: 205970235.jpg (78 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
205970235.jpg
78 KB, 800x533
Has anyone here been involved in animal conservation before? I'm interested in supporting endangered species and the sort but don't really know anything about the organisations that do it/ which ones are trusted etc.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>2075230
The International Rhino Foundation is good for Rhinos, since you posted a rhino.

>>2075248
I'm really starting to hate you.
>>
>>2075230
The American Prairie Reserve is also really great for North American megafauna. They don't have the same retarded restrictions Yellowstone does and are trying to breed pure Bison bison to around 10,000 individuals, whereas Yellowstone is trying to cull them below 3,000 to please cattle ranchers. It's also located in a region where most species of North American megafauna are native, like Bighorn Sheep and Pronghorn. Name a place, habitat or species you're interested in and I can probably point you to a good charity.
>>
>>2075230
These guys are doing great work for animals in Africa, particularly elephants.
This is their newest video to raise awareness, worth a watch: https://youtu.be/qNExCirJ98k
>>
>>2075230
Are you even still here, OP? Don't let bugfaggot derail your thread. If you're still interested, I can offer suggestions.
>>
>>2075230
You cant stop poaching faggot, the africans who poach usually never finished school and cant get a high enough paying job so thy see the china man offering them dough to give them rhino hands as a quick way to make money. Rhinos are as good as extinct at this point what a shame really.
>>
>>2075364
Leakey didn't seem to have a problem putting it down. That's because he made the niggers more afraid of him than they were greedy.
>>
How many of these conservation groups are just manipulative fuckers who want money?

The monarch situation comes to mind. They are tricking the public into believing the most popular butterfly is becoming endangered and are making loads of money to "save" it when infact monarchs are very secure as a species much more than many others.
>>
>>2075368
The real question is what would a rhino evolve into? Its just a large herbivorous mammal its a evolutionary dead end all the ungulants are dead ends because they mutated away alot of their toe bones where as the reptiles kept their toes except the dinos that mutated to only tree but most dinos walked so this is a given. There is no future for the ungulants they will just get bigger but never actually fucking change dynamicly compared to us humans coming from fucking monkeys. In other words let them go extinct they were doomed from the start.
>>
>>2075364
Not true actually. There are schemes in East Africa that are dedicated to retraining poachers into game-wardens and conservationists. So far it's the only scheme that's working and in places where it's been implemented, Elephant populations are actually on the rise for the first time in a very long time.
This video is what it's about: https://youtu.be/qNExCirJ98k
>>
>>2075466
Well, to be fair, OP abandoned the thread almost immediately anyway.
>>
>>2075466
How about I help put in back on track. How could a person get involved in a working capacity with some sort of organization, I can't imagine it's terribly easy, but I'm sure it' snot the hardest thing in the world. All I ever see is people talking about donating to these organizations, never working for them.
>>
>>2075597
Start killing outdoor cats. Once the bodycount racks up they'll contact you.
>>
>>2075597
You actually raise an exceptionally good point, one I've had an issue with myself. Most environmental organizations aren't terribly effective because they're not actively recruting armies of volunteers, because their system is pay-based and they generally are only really looking for employees and hire local help for their operations like Africans or Asians. It's fucking ridiculous, but that's the way a lot of them are set up. Your best bet may be to find a local chapter of an organization or a local organization and help them out.
>>
>>2075601
Please, there's no outdoor cats up here, if they get out they die, they live through the summer and freeze in the winter, there's no way around that.
>>2075605
Yeah, I figure my best bet is a zoo, but they normally look for volunteers, and the "best" one around, the De Young is 2 hours away and most certainly doesn't need people in paying positions. I love conservation, I'm an big, active dude, who shoots guns and shit, I know I could be an asset to one of these organizations, there's just no real opportunities. I'm looking into volunteering as a park ranger next summer, and I guess I'll see what comes from taht.
>>
>>2075611
>who shoots guns and shit
>conservation
You better not be firing those guns at animals, otherwise you're useless cancer.
>>
>>2075616
yeah I wasn't sure how to word it, I meant more that guns didn't really bother me, whether in a control manner, a protection ro just general use. I don't hunt either, but you should probably look at how culling deer population is beneficial. We fucked that natural enviroment we might as well help control it.
>>
>>2075641
>culling deer population is beneficial.
It actually isn't. I know far more about this subject than you do. This is a lie CREATED by hunters to justify hunting. You should look at how culling human population is beneficial. It never ceases to amaze me that the very species literally causing all on its own a mass extinction event cannot shut the hell up about how many other animals it has to kill "for their own good".
>>
>>2075711
So when you go in to a state park, and see herds of sickly, disease ridden and hungry deer who are starving because of overpopulation and decimated local fauna, you think everything is just fine?
When you go to your 3rd funeral this year because of people killed by an over abundance of deer on the highway you honestly think nothing should be done?
You are going to sit there and argue that money spent on hunting tags and licenses doesn't go right back in to the states conservation efforts as well right?
You know what save it, I've seen you post here before. You have been proved wrong before yet you continue to argue. You are simply not worth the effort. Your mind is made up and closed, all you are interested in is spreading more disinformation and telling everyone you know more than them. You can go fuck yourself.
>>
>>2075839
First of all "muh herds of sick deer!" is a fucking myth again CREATED by hunters.

>over abundance of deer on the highway
There's an overabundance of HUMANS on the highway, you fucking moron.

Let's put this to bed immediately though. Which is worse: humans overpopulating the planet and killing basically anything they can get their hands on or deer "overpopulating"?

Now if you can't admit that culling humans is better for deer and the natural environment than culling deer is, we immediately know that everything you have to say is nothing more than propaganda, NOT fact. PERIOD.
>>
can we just get bugguy banned. way to derail an actual interesting thread for once.

>>2075370
>How many of these conservation groups are just manipulative fuckers who want money?

Nearly all. The ones that aren't don't tend to have as big of a budget to spam advertisements for their schemes everywhere, so are harder to find.

Often ones that aren't a scam will be cheaper and looking for people of certain skill sets. Not always, but that's what I've found. Or will work more with universities and offer summer placements to students.

Skill set wanted can be field ecology skills, animal care, construction, bilingualism, experience in tagging/bird ringing, surveys, etc etc.

They will also often have a proper application form as opposed to 'pay and get this'.

Also don't just look in sub-Saharan Africa or South East Asia or India. There's all sorts all across the world. Especially if you're interested in birds. Like I said, they're just a bit harder to find as they aren't as well advertised.
>>
>>2075839
And I'm not going to stop until I've hammered your bullshit into its rightful early grave. Here is what humans do to megafaunal communities. Boy it sure is a good thing humans are culling those megafauna, am I right?

>You have been proved wrong before yet you continue to argue.
No, I have not. You morons just keep spamming false propaganda with nothing to back it up, I back up my arguments with FACTS and you keep thinking you're right because BIG FUCKING SURPRISE the anthropocentric argument is the most popular and you just appeal to numbers and think you're right.

>states conservation efforts as well right?
Most states have pathetic conservation efforts and their funds are cut more every year. My state won't even introduce ANY animals into their parks. EVER. And at the National level almost ZERO funds come from asshole hunters, but they still bow to pressures from them and cattle ranchers who are destroying everything.

>Your mind is made up and closed
Look in the fucking mirror, you lying, pathetic jackass. Your own species is a literal cancer exterminating all the large animals on this planet, but no, the real threat is that those animals are "overpopulated" and causing an inconvenience for the humans' motor vehicles. The fuck is wrong with you.

Either address the human overpopulation issue and the massive problems that YOU are causing to the environment, which NO SERIOUS SOURCE DISPUTES, or we know you're a lying asshole with no point whatsoever. Then explain why you're to be taken seriously when you're obviously on the wrong side of reality.
>>
And while we're addressing the issue of "sick deer herds", let's talk about Chronic Wasting Disease. First, this is a disease that HUMANS caused by importing sheep (those precious environmentally-friendly ranchers again) with scapie which jumped species and is now causing an epidemic plague among deer on this continent which looks to only be getting worse with no end in sight. Well guess what, hunters and deer farmers are one of the reasons it's gotten so out of control, because deer farms (which almost exclusively raise deer for hunters to kill) serve as massive breeding grounds for the disease, then they transport those animals all around the country. Just another little gift from hunters towards "conservation efforts".

www.ammoland.com/2015/08/deer-farming-scheme-could-spread-chronic-wasting-disease-to-wild-north-carolina-deer/#axzz422EkifIV

"CWD is typically transmitted in cattle trailers used to transport farmed deer, often to other states, but spreads into wild populations when deer escape or “fraternize” with wild deer through fences."

Keep in mind, that is from a gunnut site. And they're not the only ones who've grasped the impact that deer farming FOR HUNTERS has had on the spread of CWD. That's why some states are trying to ban it. Those precious "conservationist" hunters strike again. So beautiful how they preserve the wild, isn't it?
>>
>>2075844
>>2075850

>Now if you can't admit that culling humans is better for deer and the natural environment than culling deer is, we immediately know that everything you have to say is nothing more than propaganda, NOT fact. PERIOD.
I'm going to deny it out of common sense and self preservation. Something you obviously would not understand with your head in the clouds, or up your ass. Humans are more important than animals. Learn your place in life and deal with it precious.
The rest of your post spews the same tree hugging shit. Herds of sickly deer do exist, that is until people with guns take care of the problem, and this is the whole reason you are so upset, because it's the real world and your thought process is crippled by your emotions. I suggest taking a step back and look at things logically for once instead of sticking your head in the sand.
What you refuse to understand is there is a problem. Instead of screaming "Hurrr durrr humans is just as bad", other people choose to deal with it. Get off your fucking high horse.
>>
>>2075849
>Often ones that aren't a scam will be cheaper and looking for people of certain skill sets
That's the problem though. There is more than enough work that needs to be done that can perfectly well be done by volunteers. It's just that all environmental organizations work on a wasteful employee-based workforce system when there are plenty of volunteers willing to help. This is not an uncommon problem. Many people want to help environmental organizations by doing something other than writing checks and those organizations generally tell them the same things - "Look on our website for job postings" "Oh we don't really do that" "We're not hiring at the moment". It's pretty ridiculous really.

>Also don't just look in sub-Saharan Africa or South East Asia or India
They absolutely do for the work that volunteers could do. They tend to hire local help. That's why you always see Africans hunting poachers in Africa and Asians policing Rhino parks in Asia. It's the same story with nearly all of them.
>>
>>2075859
>I'm going to deny it out of common sense and self preservation.
Exactly. Which means you lose the argument. You just admitted you're too biased to view the issue logically and truthfully. Show's over. You just lost. And here's a tip: allowing humans to overpopulate the planet until resources collapse - particularly food sources isn't in the best interests of your survival.

>Humans are more important than animals.
Give one objective reason why.

Listen to you, you dumb cunt. You act like you're so right you can't be touched, but your entire argument boils down to "I'm more important because I'm me". Just more proof you're cancer and killing you is much better for the environment.

>What you refuse to understand is there is a problem.
Oh there's certainly a problem. It's specifically idiots like you breeding in the billions, then claiming it's other animals that are the problem.

> sticking your head in the sand.
Again, you fucking retarded hypocrite. That is ALL YOU HAVE DONE. You don't have an facts on your side. You're just repeating the most pathetic lies because they're common and it's easy for you because it fits what you already want to believe. Yet the mass extinction event you're causing hasn't halted. But of course that's not important, because exterminating other species is actually good for them, right? We're HELPING Nature!

>Get off your fucking high horse.
You need to get the fuck off of yours. I have every right to be on one, since I'm speaking the truth and I'm fucking right. All you're doing is lying and saying "I'm more important". There is literally nothing more self-righteous or conceited than that.

You're nothing but an ignorant, self-righteous asshole. Now make another bullshit claim that I can swat the shit out of immediately.
>>
>>2075860
The people with the skills they are looking for are volunteers as well. Like I said, they are often aimed towards students and work with universities.

It's easier for them to get a volunteer in that already knows how to ring birds/do surveys/teach/build/etc. than it is to train up new people. And if they are training new people, they train up locals who will be around for a lot longer than the foreign volunteers. It's just a much, much better allocation of resources to train people who will be around in the long term than to train up someone who is there for a season, if that. I've seen ones where the volunteer skills they were looking for were more akin the presentation skills - which yes, would be open to a very wide range of people, but it's still a skill that they are specifically looking for, and they're not just looking for any person that they're going to have to fully train as the person has never given a talk or presentation before in their life.

I don't get your second point. I said don't just look there, not that someone shouldn't look there altogether. Just the the person searching should keep their options open as they may find something more applicable to their interests elsewhere in the world.
>>
>>2075867
Lol, you so mad. Because you can't accept the fact that human life takes precidence over animal life. You've let your emotions rule your thought process.
I loose at nothing you fucking child, I know my place on the food chain. Now go ahead and write another blog about how humans are so evil you fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>2075871
>It's easier for them to get a volunteer in that already knows how to ring birds/do surveys/teach/build/etc. than it is to train up new people
And that is why the environmental movement is losing. Badly. There is a literal army of willing volunteers that nearly EVERY conservation organization is overlooking. Meanwhile, poaching in Africa is returning to levels not seen in decades and we're probably going to lose many species that previous conservation efforts saved from extinction.

>I don't get your second point.
I don't understand what's hard to grasp about it.

>I said don't just look there
Well that limits the options then to a person's own backyard then, doesn't it. And I already said that's a prospective volunteer's best bet.

>Just the the person searching should keep their options open as they may find something more applicable to their interests elsewhere in the world.
Well OP said he was looking for opportunities to help endangered species. Most of that help will be occurring in Asia and especially Africa and if organizations tend to hire local help with a tiny sprinkling of paid employees on the side and over them, that doesn't leave much opportunity for volunteers for the West, now does it? The fact is, most environmental and conservation organizations are set up in a for-profit nature, even though they're non-profits. Frankly, I blame America for capitalising culture so badly that those are the only terms anyone can think in nowadays. There is tons of shit volunteers can do right now with very little training that EVERYONE will need anyway. Just because you know how to tag birds doesn't mean you know how to patrol a game reserve, nor does it require a terribly great deal of training or skill. It would be dangerous, of course, but the volunteers will not only know that going in, but have to sign reams of affidavits obviously which would remind them. And that's just one example.

>>2075875
Why?
>>
>>2075944
>There is a literal army of willing volunteers

There's a literal army of skilled volunteers too. don't be bitching just because you don't have the skills they are looking for.

and no it doesn't leave options to someones own backyard. unless your'e being ignorant to the biodiversity of species across south america, north america, europe/russia, north africa, etc. all of which have a multitude of endangered species. apparently all these places are your backyard though so what will i know.
>>
>>2075867
I like this guy. Need more versions of this ASAP
>>
WCS are known for being dodgy as fuck. Making deals with governments to make national parks which force people living there off their land.
>>
>>2075742
>it only makes people think you're annoying and retarded, and then they avoid it all together.
>I think so and that means everyone does
Back here in the real world, if a shitload of people all swarm to, I don't fucking know, save the tiger, and every fucking day rant and rave about how awesome the tiger is, you think the higher ups wouldn't notice? You think they wouldn't pay attention? Use it to court favour among people?

Of course they would. Thinking that voicing your opinion doesn't matter - not even a tiny, tiny, tiny bit - is retarded.
>>
>>2077557
>all the 'pwetty africon megafona' relies on trophy hunting
This is a god damned lie that you should literally be executed for. Trophy hunting has been the SOLE cause of most African megafaunal extinctions historically.
>>
>>2076571
It sounds like it must be very area-specific. Glad it reduces the amount of cats roaming the area. You're doing good work.
>>
>>2077709
Care to counter the assertion? Basically every animal that has gone extinct in recorded history or nearly has in Africa has been due to trophy hunting: Elephants, both rhinos, the Bluebuck, the Quagga. In fact, one would have great difficulty finding a megafaunal species that had gone extinct or nearly so not just in Africa, but ON EARTH that was not due to hunting, particularly trophy hunting in Africa and for that and food elsewhere.
>>
>>2078408
Megafauna in africa is near extinction because nignogs are dumb as rocks. I had a friend working there for a year and she says they don't have the concept that eventually, if killed by the thousands, animals will stop existing. it's unfathomable to them, they can't wrap their head around that idea. They think they can poach elephants all they want, because tomorrow they will still be there.
>>
>>2078411
>most of them died to climate change before we even hunted them.
RECORDED HISTORY. Also, that's total bullshit. Most of the Pleistocene megafauna was wiped out by humans. Boy, what a huge coincidence that their numbers only rapidly decline and vanish after physical evidence of humans entering the continent AND HUNTING THEM. Even more damning is that megafaunal extinctions occur at totally different times around the globe and those periods ALWAYS match up with when humans arrive. Total coincidence. Must've been global warming!

>>2078415
>Megafauna in africa is near extinction because nignogs are dumb as rocks
Most of the extinctions were caused by European trophy hunters though. Nignogs always had a relatively small population with primitive technology. During the Bantu expansion that only changed slightly. The real damage began only after European colonization. You can like that or hate it, but extinction dates and their causes are not debatable in recorded history. Literally look up any endangered or extinct megafaunal species in Africa and then research why. It's always European hunting, mostly for trophies. NOW that's changed because nigs are hunting in large numbers for Chinks, but that's a newer phenomenon.

>I had a friend working there for a year and she says they don't have the concept that eventually, if killed by the thousands, animals will stop existing.
Yeah, guess who also used to share that belief as late as the 20th century?
>>
>>2078415
One more point proving they're in the stone age.
>>
>>2078443
See: >>2078442
>Yeah, guess who also used to share that belief as late as the 20th century?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_superabundance
>>
>>2078452
>palaeontology does
Learn to read. Also:
>Most of the Pleistocene megafauna was wiped out by humans.

>and everything ever before that died due to climate change and other garbage.
Literally what is your point? That everything dies so nothing matters? Take edgelore somewhere else. It has no place in ecology.

>so almost all megafauna in africa is extinct due to non-human causes since we're a pretty recent species let alone subspecies.
Sure, if you're talking from the beginning of fucking time. Does that mean humans are off the hook? Why the hell would it? What point are you even trying to make?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.