[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rat General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: tweettweet.jpg (39 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
tweettweet.jpg
39 KB, 620x465
Rat and rat accessories
>>
It really should be rat and mouse general in my opinion.
>>
When my rats ever got excited due to petting or food they would get the hiccups, along with the normal bruxing and boggling. Has anyone else had their rats get hiccups? I doubt it's anything serious but I was just curious.
>>
everyone says rats are smart and shit like little dogs almost. They also have small bladders and pee everywhere.

So can you potty train a rat like a dog? Just have like a small litter box when they are out of the cage that they run to every time they need to tinkle
>>
>>2064644
They use their urine as trail markers or something like that. They're going to pee no matter what you do. If they're trained they'll go to the cage to poo though. Supposedly females urinate less than males but I've never noticed much of a difference
>>
File: 20160126_152227.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160126_152227.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>2064564
Heh I tried drawing that one one day. Looked like shit
>>
File: Finn+Jake2.png (850 KB, 599x599) Image search: [Google]
Finn+Jake2.png
850 KB, 599x599
ey yo my two little ratties.

Having some problems at the moment though >>2064489

Would seriously appreciate any help, I seriously don't want to have to get rid of them!
>>
File: mousetrap.jpg (30 KB, 623x397) Image search: [Google]
mousetrap.jpg
30 KB, 623x397
>>2064564
>>
>>2064623
Ours got them regularly, usally right after we disturbed them or picked them up.
>>
>>2064623
>along with the normal bruxing and boggling

I've only ever seen rats grind their teeth when nervous, and I've never seen this "boggling" their eyes thing. I had to look it up on youtube, it's really weird.
>>
>>2064564
I kinda want to get a rat but I feel like I'm 25 and too old for it...
>>
>>2064623
Yep. It's normal :^)

If your rat is hiccuping excessively when there's nothing exciting going on, it could be serious though!

>>2064945
flute rat a cute. A CUTE!

>>2065458
you're never too old for fuzzy pals!
>>
>>2065446
Some do it a lot, some don't do it all. One of mine boggles like insane whenever I pick him up and pet him. Looks like his eyes are going to pop Straight out of his skull every time. He also bruxes his teeth when he's cuddling. It sounds slightly different from their 'stressed' teeth chattering.

>>2065458
Rats are good for both adults and responsible kids. I'm 24, wouldn't dream of a life without the rats.
>>
>>2065458
I'm 25 and I've had a lot of ratties! They're great for any age. Really good for apartments, too!
>>
>>2065119
I'd suggest maybe asking a large rat forum for advice. More people for more opinions. I'm not sure what to tell you but I hope your issue gets resolved they're adorable.
>>
Stuck with a useless friends pet rat, probably for life, any tips for reducing the smell? His cage gets cleaned regularly
>>
File: MayGeorge-9_2015.jpg (3 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
MayGeorge-9_2015.jpg
3 MB, 5472x3648
my rat has minor respiratory issues so i bought one of those bags of livestock antibiotics from tractor supply co (oxytetracycline)
how much should i add to his water and how long should i give it to him?

he is seeing a vet next week to get neutered.
>>
>>2065763
>for life
just wait 2years
>>
File: 61TsWson6dL._SL1500_[1].jpg (69 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61TsWson6dL._SL1500_[1].jpg
69 KB, 1500x1500
>>2065779

1/8 of a teaspoon per 6 oz of water (standard small sized water bottle) and give them that for a week. Two weeks max.
>>
>>2065119
Take him to the vet. If a usually friendly animal suddenly hates being touched/picked up, it can be a sign that they're in pain or not well.
>>
File: 1pFqD4y.jpg (122 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1pFqD4y.jpg
122 KB, 1080x1080
>>
>>2065446
One of my rats does it all the time. She'll run around and play, then when she gets tired she'll snuggle up to you and boggle for about 10 minutes before taking a nap.

Some rats just don't do it though. One of mine is a grumpy old lady and only started boggling at the grand age of 2 years 6 months. I suspect she has dementia though, so that might explain why she's suddenly started doing it...
>>
>>2066169

:3
>>
So how common is it, really, that unfamiliar males will simply refuse to coexist? I've been considering getting a new friend for my little guy since his brother died early last month, but my previous (only) attempt at introducing bucks ended disastrously despite months of trying. One of those had always been kept as a solitary pet though, whereas my current ratty grew up with his brother, and I'd specifically look for rats that had lived with cagemates before.

I can't risk keeping two rats in two separate cages again. It's not an option.
>>
File: 20160115_124041.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160115_124041.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
The only place where the other younger rat won't bother his sleep.
>>
hello ratto
>>
>>2064564
Rats a shit but that pic cute as hell.
>>
>>2066455
How depressed is your rat at the moment? When one of my rats died the other was utterly miserable, so when we got her a new friend a month later she bonded super quick because she was so lonely.

If he's depressed I'd say it's worth getting another rat.
>>
>>2066786
I'm not sure?... he and his brother were really tight, but he doesn't seem UNhappy. He still eats fine and sniffs around like normal during free-roam time. I'm home a fair bit and will talk to him in his cage and take him with me for short out-of-cage periods when I leave the room, even if it's just to go take a piss or make toast. Bruxes a lot on my shoulder. I have to go out of town a couple times a month for business though, so he's isolated in a quiet room during those periods aside from feeding time, and I worry.
>>
Any tips on making a rat lose weight? My alpha rat is starting to look a bit porky. I can't cut back on food because the others in the cage are fine, and she gets daily exercise but still has some noticeable podge.
>>
>>2066455
In my experience(15 rats) it's very rare for a rat to refuse to share cage with another, but it can happen if one of them has behavioral issues or have been kept alone for too long. If your lone rat was friendly and used to company, he shouldn't be bothered by a new young rat.

I was standing in your situation a few months ago. One of my boys passed and the guy left in the cage didn't seem overly depressed or anything, eating and sleeping as normal, but you could tell he was bored and he picked up obsessively grooming himself. Once I got him a new friend, they fought a bit for a week, then became besties. He's much better now, more active, no self-barbering and loves sleeping in the hammock with his new bro.

Out of all the ones I've had, only one was impossible to introduce and more comfortable in a solitary cage .
>>
>>2065966
>>2065779
Additionally, keep the bottle covered! oxytetracycline is light sensitive. I used a sock.
>>
>>2065763
you can always rehome him.

the answer is probably to use a different bedding.

>>2066455
it's not common, they will fight a little at first though. how old is he? if he's really old already and isn't depressed I wouldn't, but otherwise you should totally get him a friend!
>>
Hey, my roommates have a couple of rats. They love the things, but haven't been feeding them well. I've been giving them little scraps of lettuce and chicken, and my roommate said I'm free to walk in and play with them; so my question is, what are some nutritious, fresh people foods that I can feed to rats? What should I avoid? Already planning on giving them some egg soon, I know they love that shit
>>
>>2067820
the answer is probably to use a different bedding.

Not the guy but
Can this Really solve smell issues?
>>
>>2066786

you don't put them together right away, look into a rat forum how you introduce rats to each other, it is not like an aquarium where you dump them in, the see new rats as potential threats and would even go so far hurting/ killing them... i'll tell you quick what i remember
>two cages (at first), beside each other so they can smell each other
>after two/three days let both outside into a neutral area (your room/etc..), watch the they do
>Do this for a few times until the run into same cage
>you rat has a new friend

Still, look it up, it has been a while that i had rats, but i had about 14 in my time, 9 at one point - big cage :*)
>>
>>2068003
Oats, mysli with no added sugars, dark bread with a lot of grains and kernels. Basically anything that's healthy for a human is healthy for a rat. They love fresh vegetables and fruit, but don't give them too much or they'll get the runs.

Mine especially like:
>Carrots
>Red peppers
>Peas and corn
>Bananas
>Grapes
>Cooked potato, rice and pasta
>Beans

You can find a lot of rat nutrition guides if you google it.
>>
All right, what the fuck.

I have a rat that is a son of a bitch to get out of the cage. He likes if I reach in and stroke his head, but when he figures out I'm trying to pick him up it's like he hears the hooves of the four dark horsemen of the apocalypse pounding in my fingertips. He clings to cage bars, wedges himself and his limbs into/behind anything he can, grasps desperately at my hands like he thinks I'm going to fling him into a fucking deep-fryer. The backs of my hands are always scratched as fuck nowadays.

But the thing is, the dumb shit is completely fine as soon as he's out. 45 seconds later he'll be bruxing up a storm. He likes being handled and likes riding on my shoulder, would do that shit all day if I let him, cuddles up a storm during free-range time. It's just being picked up out of his cage where he starts shitting the bed.

I've had three rats previously and none of them acted like this. Sometimes I can tempt him directly out of the cage onto my shoulder, but it's only really if he's hungry and expecting food that it'll work. If he's not hungry he'll just stare at me trying to sweet-talk him down from the top level.

I take him out of the cage at least twice a day and have owned him for 4-5 months now, so I don't get why he's not getting used to this. The fuck's his problem and how do I fix it?
>>
>>2068871

You're spooking him. Don't grab at him. It activates his predator fear instincts. In that moment he thinks you're a bird, or a large cat/dog. Pick him up by reaching under him. Come with a treat in hand a few times to get him more comfortable with your approaching "pick up" hand.
>>
>>2069224
This. Scoop him up. Also, try just putting your hand in the cage and letting him sniff it so he gets used to it.
If you do use food, try unsweetened applesauce in a spoon or something else that he will not be able to snatch and run off with, he'll have to stay near your hand to eat it.
Also, is your rat on his own? Isolation can mentally fuck a rat up due to how social they are and cause aggression, you should get him a buddy if you can.
>>
One of my boy's eyes has gone a little, not sure how to say it, more gray/white. The other eye is still black, but this one seems to be a bit greyed.

He is a very old boy, over 3. His back two legs are basically useless, he has trouble with balance and he loves to eat banana.

Any clue about the eye? Blindness?
>>
>>2065119
He is probably n pain, I had a friendly rat start biting because of tics. Take him to a vet.
>>
>>2069483
It is probably blindness. It shouldn't bother him much, rats go blind in old age like humans. But there is the chance it could also be a tumor located behind the eye. If it starts to bulge, go to the vet.
>>
>>2068780

There's something to avoid though. Wanna ssy raisins.
>>
>>2065446
Oh jeez it's pretty difficult getting my rat to boggle it's eyes. She kind of likes it when I rub her on my face

Other than that, she doesn't do it much. I just like seeing her all happy desu c:
>>
>>2069224
>>2069265
Thanks.

It's hard for me to do the scoop sometimes because his cage is in a high place, away from my cats. If he goes on the second level he's well above my head and hefting the whole cage down just to get him out is a huge pain in the ass. I'll probably just need to choose which is less annoying.

He had a buddy, but he died recently and I haven't been able to find a new one around his age that wasn't already bonded to another eat. Shit sucks.
>>
>>2064945
I love it
>>
>>2069635
And no oranges/orange juice for males. It gives them kidney cancer. It's okay for females though.
>>
>>2064581

Not enough mouse gets discussed here, but I don't think it's wrong to do so. ... just more rat-oriented.

Of course, that's not saying I wouldn't enjoy a mouse general on /an/, I just don't know if enough people could post in it to keep it going.
>>
File: mouse grenade.jpg (46 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
mouse grenade.jpg
46 KB, 540x540
Don't you die on me, /rat/
>>
Any of you guys ever have a rat or other rodent pet that began one day to start scratching itself excessively?

Need some tips here.
>>
this guy abuses cats 07593602359
>>
>>2072136

There's a few reasons for this:

Hot spots: The rodent has far too much protein in it's diet. This causes them to itch uncontrollably.

Mites/fleas: Self-explanatory

Barbering: They're over-grooming due to boredom/depression. Either they need more toys, or they need companionship with another rodent. This is critical in mice and rats/
>>
File: _MG_7480.jpg (1 MB, 1792x1552) Image search: [Google]
_MG_7480.jpg
1 MB, 1792x1552
>>2064564
why do some rats have larger eyes? had this baby a year ago and her eyes were huge, and super cute. don't have rats anymore but will eventually. want more big eyes
>>
>>2072350

I'm more a fan of mice, but I can't begrudge rats for their faces. They're so big and expressive. Especially with their bigger mouths that when you view them from the front always looks like they're making a '8D' face at you. I don't think there's any other animal out there that give the impression that they're as happy to see you as rats are.
>>
>>2072350
They are usually nocturnal you stupid fuck so its to absorb as much light rays as possible god you are so dumb.
>>
File: edgehog.jpg (63 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
edgehog.jpg
63 KB, 400x366
>>2072474
>>
okay /rat/, do you think a rat would be a better pet than a bird? I'm can't decide between the two.
>>
>>2072523
They are both pretty different animals so you should do more research before you pick.
Look at the negatives of both, not just the positives.
>>
File: that_s_a_spicy_meatball.jpg (49 KB, 400x431) Image search: [Google]
that_s_a_spicy_meatball.jpg
49 KB, 400x431
Why do girls like rats so much?
>>
>>2073190
Just natural that the pussy chases the rat
>>
Rats are cute and all but the pee trails thing kinda grosses me out
>>
File: 1453846680653.gif (675 KB, 303x282) Image search: [Google]
1453846680653.gif
675 KB, 303x282
>>2073196
>>
Guys, I used to have 2 Sphinx rats. Both female. And their breasts became huge. Had no access to vet so I just got 'rid' of them. What went wrong? They never had litter.
>>
Is keepings rats a fucking terrible idea if you already have a (house) cat?
>>
>>2073238
I would say yes. Dogs can coexist with rats, but i think the cats instincts would take over pretty fast.
Wouldn't want to wake up to my lil diogenes gutted and half eaten...
>>
>>2064564

I take it this thread is probably pet rats only, but got a new rack. incredibly happy to finally start production again
>>
>>2073406
I've always thought the automatic watering systems for rat racks were awesome. I hate having to refill water bottles every day. Does anyone know where to get tank connector equipment in Canada?
I'm surprised, but I can't find it on eBay.

I did find this place for the US, but they don't ship to Canada :(

http://www.reptilebasics.com/rodent-watering/
>>
>>2073238
Our cats get along great with our pet rats. If we let the rats out the will follow them around and let us know where they are at all times. They are not the same with mice. We used to have mice and the cats would catch their tails and try and pull them through the bars... The mice didn't survive this. Ultimately it depends on your cats temperament.
>>
File: 1[1].png (463 KB, 717x717) Image search: [Google]
1[1].png
463 KB, 717x717
>>2073217
Hairless rats are sickly in general. They have no thymus gland which means they have very poor immune systems. All hairless rats suffer from progressive kidney failure. They were never meant to be pets, and are only maintained outside laboratories as food for snakes that have digestion issues with hair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_rat#Hairless_rats
>>
>>2073421

Because mine is only a three tier I'm not bothering with the watering system. I have 1l bottles, they last me 2-3 days. Takes me a second or to to refill and snap back into place.

Anyways, Home Depot and TSC has the connectors for the bucket. Join Feeder Breeders Only on Facebook, they'll help you out more.
>>
File: azu-cat.jpg (127 KB, 552x570) Image search: [Google]
azu-cat.jpg
127 KB, 552x570
>>2073406
>>2073421
>>2073495

Ah. The more subtle attempts at trolling /an/ with animal abuse.
>>
>>2073495
>>2073421
So even though these are poor attempts at trolling, how the fuck can these people get in to change the bedding, give them water, or feed them food? Wouldn't the unsocialized rats just bite the fuck out of them?
>>
>>2073547

The bins slide in and out easily. The rats usually live in breeding pairs. 1 male 2 females and whatever resulting pups. The males are removed after both females give birth. Generally the rats are handled poorly, and without care. Bedding isn't changed until a new breeding pair goes it. So pups are raised in bedding filled with shit.

Since they're raised as snake food, and not pets, they're often the products of incest.

These people are the reason why pet rats and mice have so many health problems and short lifespans.

Our fancy rodent population comes from breeding farms like this.
>>
>>2073551

Well, I should say breeding trios, but mother pairs.

They don't get toys, wheels, chews, or huts. They get water and food.
>>
>>2073551
Ah I see. And this is also the reason why I'm buying my next rats from a breeder and not a pet store. Though the pet stores in my area seem to no longer stock rats which is a good thing.
>>
>>2073545

Most rodent breeders meet the care, needs, and nutrition better than the keepers who keep them in large, stupid ferret nation cages with fleece hammocks, and parrot toys. Just sayin.
>>
>>2073551
This is utter bullshit.

>>2073547

Bins slide out in and easy. They're on tracks.
The food sits on the top.
Water bottles too.
Truthfully, the rats are not socialized with, but we only breed the best tempered and healthy rats so that they do not bite when they are handled.
Bedding is changed every week as you would a pet and spot cleaned through out the week.
They get various foods and veggies throughout the week.

We breed in a 1.2 pair (1 male, two females) after successful mates we remove the male. They go to their own rack.
Babies are raised with mom until sexually mature, then separated by sex in their own bins. They're grown to size and euthanized with Co2 (other breeders do have questionable euthanizing methods, I personally Co2)

Rats that you buy from breeders for certain coats or type are without a doubt line bred (incest). I do not line breed at all. I breed my moms 4 times in their entire life and retire them. After that I buy new moms, or get a new male and use the past female litter mates.
>>
File: you tried.gif (608 KB, 480x396) Image search: [Google]
you tried.gif
608 KB, 480x396
>>2073555

Yeah, no.
>>
File: pPETNA-5201419_main_enh[1].jpg (134 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
pPETNA-5201419_main_enh[1].jpg
134 KB, 600x600
>>2073560
How do you keep them from chewing their way out of the plastic bins?

My first rat cage had a plastic bottom and they chewed out, so now I only use all metal cages or lidded aquariums.
>>
>>2073568

There are no lips on their bins so they have no vantage to chew.

Also, over chewing rats are not bred. Proper feeder breeders dont breed over aggressive, or destructive rats. Aquariums are shit and have bad ventilation. You're asking for RI that way. Even a tote with wire would be better.

Also, if that was the cage, I can see why. All Living Things is a cheap brand. They look nice, they do. but I've only had issue with everything I bought from them.
>>
>>2073571

Yeah, you definitely wouldn't want the horde you're breeding to escape and create a massive infestation or anything.
>>
>>2073555
>who keep them in large, stupid ferret nation cages with fleece hammocks, and parrot toys.

Yeah. Cramped little plastic bins with nothing but food, water, woodshavings their their own shit is so much better.
>>
File: CryingRat.jpg (224 KB, 900x554) Image search: [Google]
CryingRat.jpg
224 KB, 900x554
Where does /an/ buy their rats?

The only breeder I could find in ATL has a waiting list and only has two litters planned for this year.
>>
>>2073634
>Where does /an/ buy their rats?

Craigslist
eBayClassifieds.com
Kijiji.ca
>>
>>2073634

Instead of buying a rat, consider adopting one from a rescue organization or animal shelter.
>>
>>2073681
I've had mixed outcomes with adoptions. The two girls I got are absolute monsters but the boy I adopted is the sweetest little guy on earth.
>>
I just purchased a female rat for my male rat and hes already raping her. I've had baby rats before in the past a few times (one time they all lived one time they all died) why am I doing this? Did I fuck up? I got a decent amount of money and plan on buying a big cage to seperate the mommy and babies when they are born. And when the babies are old enought to.....fuck I'll divide them up females and males. And put an add on craigs list for most of them.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET A MALE RAT NEUTERED? I LIVE IN THE STATES IS THIS A THING I CAN CALL AROUND EASILY AND FIND?
>>
File: mclogo[1].gif (56 KB, 435x363) Image search: [Google]
mclogo[1].gif
56 KB, 435x363
>>2073711
>HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET A MALE RAT NEUTERED?

Call some vets and get some quotes. Better yet, use your money to buy some really nice cages and separate the male from the female. Make sure the babies are separated at four weeks old.

http://martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/
>>
>>2073740
>Better yet, use your money to buy some really nice cages and separate the male from the female. Make sure the babies are separated at four weeks old.
this is the plan my man. I got nothing else going on in my life 'cept work and these rats. 4 weeks I will be seperating them. Do I need to worry abou the males getting territorial if they are all senpai?
>>
File: govj24d[1].jpg (366 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
govj24d[1].jpg
366 KB, 1280x853
>>2073751
>Do I need to worry abou the males getting territorial if they are all senpai?

Rats are pretty friendly bros, they tend to get along in general, littermates or not.
>>
>>2073761
ty for the response. Man I love 4chan. I originally came here like 8 years ago cuz of /b/ now I go to every board but /b/ and I'm never disappointed with the content of each board. I'm new to /an/ but you guys seem to always deliver on each board
>>
>tfw when you buy a feeder for a pet but shes socialized AF and cool calm and collected on day 1
>>
>>2073763
We all came for /b/, and then found our people wherever they were.
>>
File: 654765476.gif (372 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
654765476.gif
372 KB, 300x167
>>2073767
>>
>>2073751

Rats are not like mice in that regard. Rat males can be kept together without a problem, and rat males are actually a good choice.
>>
File: consider the following.png (367 KB, 680x380) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.png
367 KB, 680x380
>>2073681
>>2073554

Here's the thing about breeders and rescue operations:

You need to ask a number of very important questions:

Breeders and rescue operations:

Can you see where they keep the rats/mice?
If so; can you interact with them before buying/rescuing them?
What do they use for bedding/substrate?
What kind of enclosure do they stay in?
How often are they individually handled?
What kind of enrichment (toys/wheels/accessories) are they given?
What kind of food are they given? Is it Lab Block? If not; are they engineered for their species? What is the protein composition?
What ages/development stages do you offer for adoption?
Do you screen applicants before giving up your mice/rats for adoption?
What kind of enclosure do you recommend?

Breeders:
How many varieties do you offer?
How do you breed your various varieties?
Where do you get your breeding bucks/does?
How do you house breeding pairs?
How often do you breed the does?
Can I see the lineage of my mouse/rat before I adopt them?

Rescue:

Where do your mice/rats come from?
What treatments are they given?
Are they vaccinated?
Are they spayed/neutered?
Do you keep mice/rats in bonded pairs/groups? As in: if they come in groups from the same source, do you keep those mice/rats as a part of that same group or are they separated?

(I'm sure there's more, but this is the most I can think of at this moment. If anybody can contribute, then please do.)
>>
>>2073711
me again. I'm kind of getting tired of watching this guy rape the new girl and lick his pp. Is this gonna happen constantly? Should I separate them? When do I know when shes pregs? Sorry.. there is no sticky and every article online looks like its from the early 2000s
>>
>>2073711
>>2073867

The male is not neutered?

If not, the likely chance is that she's already conceived. Rats/Mice can conceive so quickly that it's almost instantaneous. The buck will continue to mount the doe, even after she's pregnant, and even after she gives birth. This is dangerous.

Check your local vets. I've heard that buck mouse neutering can be as low as $40 for the procedure. However even though rats are much, much larger, it's still a risky procedure.

Rat bucks can be housed together. Unlike buck mice they are not territorial and will not attempt to kill each other. Though there can still be issues that will arise from their initial greeting. They will fight for dominance, and only relent when a pecking order is established. Do not be alarmed, as this is normal. If there's no blood, then it's not an issue as long as the fighting is not constant. Remember: no harm, no foul.

Next time: house same-sex, or get one, or both fixed.
>>
>>2073867
Babies will be born about three weeks after mating. You'll know she's pregnant when she gets all round; it'll be really obvious.
>>
File: IMG_0177[1].png (127 KB, 490x550) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0177[1].png
127 KB, 490x550
>>2073865
Man, you're really over thinking it. A life is a life. I buy my rat pups from the reptile section at the pet store for a dollar. They've always been healthy, and I'm "rescuing" them from being snake food.
>>
>>2074030
>>2073865

Even if this guy is being a prick that I breed.

I think he is and isn't over thinking it.

Some of these questions aren't too far fetch and are good to know. Especially if you plan on showing them (yes, really, that's a thing) or breeding them. I only get my stock from a breeder 1.5 hours from here. I make the trip here and there when I need. He's kept great records of his rats, and their genetics, and I've never ever had an issue with one of them. I've also bought the occasional 'feeder' store rat when I'm just messing around with coat types and trying to produce something neat or new. I agree that the ones you get at pet stores can and are healthy, but I find they're more prone to tumors, and are generally smaller, and more aggressive.
>>
>>2074149
>2074149

I forgot to add where I disagree. I don't care where or how my rat was bred as long as it came from a clean home with a knowledgeable person. I don't care about enrichments or toys. I don't care about substrate too much because again, the people I buy from know what they're doing. Food I don't necessarily care too much because my breeder uses lab block, and I too use lab block and then various veggies.
>>
File: has a sad.jpg (19 KB, 425x248) Image search: [Google]
has a sad.jpg
19 KB, 425x248
>Rat is very old
>Struggles to walk
>Can no longer climb but still tries to
>Keep seeing her trying to climb bars/ramps but just slide down
>She's stuck on the lower level whilst her cagemates run about
>Take her out to have a play on the sofa instead
>She's still struggling to get about
>Know she's not got long left
>Feels bad man
>>
>>2074149

I don't care that you breed.

Breeding is necessary. It happens. No big deal.

But don't sit here and say things like "Oh I'm so much better to my rats then people who put them in spacious cages with enrichments" you fucking horse's ass.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (25 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
25 KB, 301x267
>>2074152

>I disagree on points that apply only to me in particular

Great. Thanks for letting me know you're the only person in this thread.
>>
>>2074169

You need to get around more in the community involved with rats and see the stupidity I do everyday and you'll see why I said it.

People make large cages of CEDAR wood. Rat chews the fuck out of it. A month later there rats die. Wonder why?

People cohabing non-neutered animals and getting mad their animals are pregnant and dying because they arent large enough or the diet sucks, or mad when the males attack each other and then they don't want the male anymore and give it away or put it up for adoption.

Feet getting cut off to material bedding and the threads.

Rats falling from these dumb hammocks and spraining feet.

Degloved tails from shitty handling.

Giving them cheap parrot toys made of cedar and splintery pine.

"CAN I GIVE MY RAT THIS?" (insert food that is 1) full of sugar, 2) absolutely a 'no no' food)

Rats dying on peanut butter.

I'm not trying to be cocky, but some breeders have better care of knowledge then these people who put them up in huge caged palaces and act like they give them the whole world but slowly just maul and kill the damn things to death.

>>2074171

I actually disagree with a lot more that don't pertain to me. Those were just the ones I found to be the stupidest. You don't buy a dog and ask what toys it's chewed in it's life and what material it's bed is from. You ask about the things that matter most. Behavior, how it was trained, breed history, and health. The more important things..
>>
I have two rats, one who bites a bit and the other is timid I was wonderin anyone know how to break these habits ?!
>>
>>2074514
Biting could be a number of things. Judging form your post, I'd say they're new, yeah?
(using female pronouns because eh)
She's probably nervous because she's a tiny little being that's getting thrown into a very large universe, wouldn't that stress you out? You're new to her and vice-versa, so let her get to know you. Do the yogurt-finger thing etc. Biting is usually a habit that occurs in the pets of owners that are either new or just dumb. Make sure you never become the latter.
>>
>>2074553
To tack on about the timid one. Don't worry about it. Rats are just like people, they all have different personalities. One of mine likes being in her cage more than she likes being outside of it, and the other will do anything and everything to explore the outside world. One will always be wary of me, and shy regardless of how well she knows me, and the other will jump from the cage door, up to my chest, and onto my shoulder.
It's a personality thing.
>>
Is Harlan Teklad or Oxbow better?
>>
>>2074772

Harlan is a better feed, but the only thing a lot of people dislike about Harlan, is they merged with another company and do A LOT of animal testing. So not a lot of people want to support that.

Make sure you know which feed you need because Harlan has many feeds.

Teklad 2018 – for pregnant, nursing or growing rats up to 8 months
Teklad 2016 – maintenance formula for the average size adult rat
Teklad 2014 – geared toward overweight and/or older rats

Harlan can only be ordered online from what I know, where as oxbow can be ordered or you can get it at tractor supply cos.

Do which ever is more convenient for you. They're both good feeds imo. They're both a complete diet, ones just a bit cheaper in quality but is still great.

I use Oxbow and Mazuri, I was using Native Earth but fuck that shit.
>>
>>2074175

Nothing stupid about them at all.

They're all pertinent questions to ask.

It's a way to learn if the people you're getting your rodents from are treating, housing, and feeding them appropriately. That way they don't get their rodents from someone that doesn't know what they're doing, and then get a sickly, or tempermental rodent.

If they're giving them unsafe toys; beware.
If they're feeding them the wrong food; beware.
If they're using incorrect bedding; do I even have to repeat myself?

These are three very important questions to ask, because these are three sources of major problems that cause some of the worst issues for rodents. Bad food, bad bedding, and improper enrichment.

This is all simple information, and should come across as common sense to someone who claims to be as knowledgeable as you. Yet somehow this is unimportant. Gee. Maybe you're just trying to be a massive twat.
>>
File: 2525153[1].jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
2525153[1].jpg
17 KB, 300x300
If cost of food is an issue, Hog Grower is the same as the lab rat blocks.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-hog-grower-50-lb
>>
do rats birthed and raised by a person act more socialized than a rat just acquired from a pet store? Is there a noticeable difference?
>>
>>2074961
you don't want a 50 lb bag of rat food. pet food does in fact, rot and spoil just like your food.

i can't imagine how many rats you'd need to go through 50lb before it spoiled. probably about 500.
>>
Hey guys , not long ago we discovered in my house there are some rats living in the bushes we have (its like a wall of bushes , next to an actual wall to the street) , and i have seen those rats are really fat but they just eat from the stuff bushes provide.

My question , are those rats dangerous? like they could attack my dog or cat (cat suck as hunter) or eve worse, they could carry some deadly diseases for humans or pets? thanks
>>
>>2065446
Happy rat bruxation is a really normal thing. I never heard any of mine do it from stress, but they'd grind happily away whenever I fed them or picked them up.
>>
>>2065779
That's a beautiful baby.
>>
>>2065145
Yes

Rats and other livings are plague
>>
>>2075269
They won't attack your dog/cat, rats will always run instead of fighting. They'll only fight if they feel they have no other option, such as if they're cornered and being threatened.

The biggest disease threat is leptospirosis (weil's disease). It's unlikely to kill you, but can make you very sick. It's caused by bacteria in their urine, but you're unlikely to catch it unless you manage to drink some/get it in an open wound.

Basically anon, wild rats are mostly harmless, so you shouldn't be concerned. Just don't go picking them up and you'll be fine.
>>
My favourite rat has a giant tumour. I have to feed her fruits from hand now, because I'm not sure she can reach food on the floor on her own. Also, she developed secondary tumour that I don't know what happened to it but it looks really bad and smells even worse.

I feel I should put her down, but by the look of it she'll die soon anyway now. Gets me depressed.

Any advice on how can I make her more comfortable?
>>
File: 20160306_152057.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160306_152057.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
Hey fellas, first time rat owner here. I've placed packing material across the mesh wire platforms in this budget multi-level cage. I was wondering if the rats will be fine with this until I better learn about what to cover mesh floors with.
>>
>>2074161
I'm so sorry to hear that anon
>>
>>2073238
my sister's cat leaves my rats alone for the most part. she gets curious and walks up to them but as soon as they touch her she bolts away
>>
>>2074161
i had to take one of mine in and had vet put him to sleep. he was in same shape, couldn't use back legs would try to get places though. finally I was more concerned about him breaking something falling and being in super pain then I was with the pain of losing him. He spent his last weekend curled up in my hoodie or on my lap basically motionless, anytime he tried to move he'd just fall over
>>
People talk about toys for rats, but what toys are appropriate for them?
>>
>>2077046
My rat loved this mcdonalds toy u gave him. It was some kinda neopets and he never chewed it up but kept it safe from his cagemates and would hide it under his bedding.
So maybe that
>>
>>2076739
Use a brown paper bag cut so its all unfolded n shit, at least when they nibble it, they won't die.
>>
>>2076634
We're in the same situation anon, one of my girls has a massive mammary tumour.

Get a small saucer, the tiny ones they serve sauce on in restaurants/use for small coffee cups. Make some porridge with soy milk and sprinkle on some sugar. Rats love it, and because it's on a wide saucer she'll be able to freely move her head around to lick it up. I feed her fruit by hand in the morning, but in the evening give her this saucer of porridge. She licks it clean and waddles off to fall asleep with a full belly.

Are you sure the second tumour isn't an abscess? Tumours don't tend to smell because it's cancer, not an infection. If it's an abscess you may be able to flush it out.
>>
>>2077250
I don't know. I read that rat tumours can outgrow their vascular system and become necrotic. I also suspect that it might be a sore due to its placement - on the leg, constantly rubbing against big tumour.

It's painful to even look at and I don't know if anything I could do could help or just torture poor creature for no good reason.
>>
File: DSC_0266.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0266.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Picked her up 3 days ago, she 10 weeks old, loving her
>>
I've owned rats all my life and never covered the mesh, and no-rat ever got bumblefoot or any issues with the mesh. I don't think covering it is really necessary.
>>
File: DSC_0277.jpg (418 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0277.jpg
418 KB, 1920x1080
>>2077353
>>
>>2077532
Nice edge faggot
>>
>>2077499
ISIS rattie
>>
>>2077046
My fatty loved rat sized rat plush
>>
>>2077610
Aren't those nangling/swallowing/whatever hazard?
>>
Is there a chance I have rats in my attic?

Every morning at around 7.30AM I hear scratching. It lasts about an hour or so and then there's no noise after that.

I'm thinking it might be birds because the scratching noises comes from the side of the roof, so it might be birds leaving my house or something.

I don't hear any noises at night, which is weird since rats and mice are nocturnal.
>>
>>2077650
Also if I do have rats would I be able to keep a few of them?
Rats are cute
>>
>>2077653
I heard about people taming wild rats, but unlike fancy rats, they aren't bred to be friendly to humans and would have somewhat more natural reaction to a giant creature grabbing them and putting them in cages.
>>
File: Brandy.jpg (683 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
Brandy.jpg
683 KB, 1456x2592
>>2074161
Update: She sadly passed away last night. I found her lying on her side in her cage, still breathing but completely unresponsive. No reaction to stroking or touching her whiskers/tail, not even blinking or moving her tongue when I tried dripping water in her mouth. She had a stroke a few months ago, so I think she must have had one massive one that paralysed her before death. She didn't seem to be in distress, just comatose. It was all I could do to make her comfortable before she passed shortly after. I knew it was coming, but goddamn it still hurts.

RIP Brandy, I hope you had a good life with us. Say hello to your sister on the rainbow bridge for us all.

>>2076771
Thank you anon.
>>
>>2074781

literally the only thing you've said all thread that made sense

harlan is best feed, I give 2014 and nutrient rich veg like kale. mothers and young get extra protein with boiled egg or some chicken. sometimes I get 2018

>>2075106

animals gently handled each day for their entire lives born to parents who don't fear humans will not fear humans. no telling what kind of handling a pet store rat has had. plus the chance that a pet store female is already pregnant with incest babies

>>2075111

if you keep it in a food grade sealable storage container it will last plenty long. just like your food

>>2076739

I've had that same cage before. try cardboard, they will rip up that packing shit. I removed the center shelf and hung fleece or felt hammocks on safety pins, and put in corner shelves

make sure you dry the bars well when you clean that cage, mine rusted, especially the little ramps

>>2077353
is she alone? please get her a pal or two to rat with
>>
>>2077961
She is alone because i can only have one, but she hangs with me while im home (mostly home besides when at work) will run around my shoulders and explore the couch
>>
>>2078142
Why can you only have one? Rats are cheap and not very space-demanding.
>>
Can rats get hiccups? Last night one of mine was sitting in my lap and started doing this odd body jerk. It looked like hiccups, but she wasn't making any noise (I imagine since rats can't burp). It happened about every 1.5 seconds and didn't seem to cause her any trouble.

Today I saw her doing it again. Her body jerks like it's having hiccups, but I've never seen it before and have no idea if rats can actually get them. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2078375
They can and it's an alarming symptom. I don't know if you can treat it with anything, but it's not good.
>>
>>2078382
I've been looking into it, and I don't think she's got a respiratory infection. There's no wheezing/coughing/noise, her breathing is fine, there's no porphyrin and her behaviour hasn't changed. I'll keep a close eye on her though and take her to the vet if she shows any other symptoms.
>>
>>2078290
Couldnt handle two thats why i got a small animal so i can keep it small
>>
>>2078519
Then get a fucking hamster.

Rats NEED to be kept in groups. They are very social animals, and keeping a single one is just cruel. No matter how much time you spend with her, you are NOT a rat. She needs interaction with her own species, otherwise she's going to be depressed, lonely, and eventually develop mental and behavioural issues. And likely end up in an early grave.

Two rats are no extra work than keeping just one, plus it's a lot more fun. They have someone else to play with, to snuggle with, and to help keep them warm. srsly, for the sake of your rat, get another one. It's absolutely horrible to keep one in solitary confinement.
>>
>>2078660
>then get a hamster

Your fucking logic astounds me. Hamsters are also pretty social, dip shit. The only ones. The ONLY ones that are domesticated that can NOT be together are Syrian hamsters. Fuck.
>>
>>2078519
>couldn't handle two

why
>>
Talking about keeping two rats, because one of my rats died young, I expect I will not forever keep replacing deceased rats with new ones so my another rat never had to be alone.

How do I know if my rats are fighting or just playing? I used to worry a lot when I introduced a new one to the cage, since they were rolling through cage and screaming. But they are buddies now.
>>
>>2078711
unless they are drawing blood they are just playing is what I was always told
>>
one of my lil guys somehow got a toe on his front paw stuck between 2 cage bars in the top corner of his cage. Managed to somehow free him without ripping his toe off but it's all swollen and I feel awful. Have had 10 rats over the course of 7 years in this cage and it's the first time one has ever gotten a toe stuck.
>>
File: 1456107306109.jpg (459 KB, 2392x1440) Image search: [Google]
1456107306109.jpg
459 KB, 2392x1440
Hey I heard you guys like rats
>>
>>2078882

Nice opeRATer dawg
>>
>>2078929
thanke
>>
>>2078711
This is an excellent, if dorky site.

http://www.joinrats.com/RatBehaviors/

I've never had female rats seriously fight, though.
>>
File: 321321323.jpg (97 KB, 980x653) Image search: [Google]
321321323.jpg
97 KB, 980x653
>>2077653
Feral rats can be tamed relatively easy compared to a lot of animals, but you shouldn't be friendly to the wild rats or bring some of them in if you see them. Rats live in packs of hundreds. and they leave pee trails for their pack mates to follow wherever they go. If you teach some of them that you are a friendly source of food, they'll all come crawling.

>>2078519
If you can't handle two you shouldn't have rats at all. 99% of rats NEED a companion to be happy. They are very social creatures. A human doesn't cut it. It is not harder or more time-consuming to keep two. And it's a lot more fun watching them play and sleep together, than one moping about in its cage waiting for you to let it out. Don't be shitty pet owner, buy your rat a friend.
>>
>>2077796
My condolences anon, I have a rat but I just lost my dog a couple hours ago. Feels bad indeed.
>>
We lost our rabbit so we're looking to get a new pet soon, one that's cuddly and not so smelly.
We got ours from a rescue so it kind of warmed up to us but only to tolerate us petting her.

Thinking about getting a couple rats because I hear they don't cause too much trouble and they're pretty friendly, any tips you guys can give me?
>>
>>2079249
Don't feed it treats through the cage bars.I adopted some that had an owner that did that and they basically lunge at anything near their bars.

It'll probably take a week or so for them to warm up to you. You can open the cage door and try giving them cheerios. Just let them get used to you and your voice.
>>
>>2079272
Alright, that's handy to know.
I don't mind a warming up period and what not, I'd just like it to get to a point where I can read a book or something and let me hold them or pet them.

Do they need to be sexed like other animals to reduce aggression or sicknesses?

What foods are okay to give them/not give them?
>>
>>2064564
A friend of mine got a rat to feed to his snake. But he fell in love with the rat and couldn't do it, and is instead going to feed it mice. But he doesn't want to keep the rat. He offered it to me for free, plus a cage and stuff for it that he had left over from guinea pig things. I said yes immediately because they're awesome.

Here's where I need advice. I am only allowed to have two pets in my apartment. I have a dog already, so this rat will equal two. I won't be able to get it a friend. What should I do? Will she be ok without a partner? I have plenty of free time so I will make sure she gets my love, but I know it wont be the same. Should I sneak another rat and risk the housing people getting mad? Or is it not entirely necessary.

My cousin had a rat from birth to death at 5 years. It was a lone all it's life and seemed to do well. That's why I said yes, knowing I couldn't get a partner. I didn't think it was needed until I did my research today.
>>
>>2079288
Buy a larger snake and feed your friend to it.
>>
>>2079293
Hey, snakes have to eat too. He decided to stick with mice. This little rat will be safe with me.
>>
>>2079296
They don't have to live-feed.
>>
>>2079297
Some snakes refuse to eat frozen/reheated mice. Snakes are not meant to, and a lot refuse it.

But I'm not here to argue about my friends snakes diet.
>>
>>2079276
In my experience, most rats aren't really interested in sitting still on your lap and being cuddled for long periods until they're at least one year old (if they want it at all). When they're young they're just too curious and full of energy.

>Do they need to be sexed like other animals to reduce aggression or sicknesses?
Neutering males can help bring down aggression, but is very rarely needed. it also lowers their instinct to mark and leave pee on stuff. Spaying females drastically decreases the risk of them getting mammary tumors, which 50% of adult females suffer from.

>What foods are okay to give them/not give them?
Rats can eat almost anything.
Fruit and vegetables are good as snacks, Anything that is unhealthy for a human is unhealthy for the rats. They can easily become fat if you give them too many 'human' treats.

Poisonous for rats:
>Apple seeds
>Green bananas
>Green potato
>Raw artichokes
>Raw onion
>Raw red cabbage
>Raw sweet potato
>Raw Tofu
>Avocado seed, skin & leaves
>Citrus fruits and juice for male rats

They also can't burb, so carbonated drinks are very much off the list as well.
>>
>>2079288
>only allowed to have two pets in my apartment.
Is anyone going to check up on that though? I don't think it's likely anyone would ever find out you had two rats in the cage instead of one. If some housing people ever come by your room, you can just hide one of them in a cupboard.

We aren't allowed pets in my college housing at all, but no one has ever said anything about my rats. People usually don't care if the pet is a small rodent in a cage. They don't make enough noise for anyone to notice.

Rats who are alone can seem completely fine, if not often a bit bored, but the change another rat makes for their behavior and mood is massive . When they have a cage-mate they can do all of the things that come natural to them, cuddle up in a sleep pile, groom each other, establish hierarchy, wrestle and play, hump, all the good stuff.

A human owner can be a good friend and entertainment, but it can never substitute a member of their own species who is by their side 24/7.
>>
>>2079316
Sadly my housing people count caged animals separately. I had two guinea pigs when I lived in a different apartment in this complex. When we were moving to this apartment, my roomie asked about this apartments rules since it's smaller. They said they never allow more than two (like you can't even have three hampsters or something) no matter which apartment. I didn't want to split the guinea pigs up so I had to give them to someone else.

But they don't check the apartments often. They sometimes come by for maintenance reasons, but I've been debating sneaking an extra rat regardless.

Thank you for the advice.
>>
>>2079302
I wouldn't say a lot though.
The majority of snakes can be taught to eat pre-killed with time, the amount that absolutely will not ever is pretty low.
And they're also not meant to live in glass boxes with artificial heating, so you can take the "it's not natural" argument and shove it.
>>
File: comfy.png (195 KB, 516x341) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
195 KB, 516x341
>>
>>2079323
Why such hostility? I'm not like making small slits on the mice and hoping they suffer. A pet snake is being fed it's natural food (and not by me. I'm the rat owner not the snake owner.) Yes, the numbers are low, I didn't mean to say a lot. The snake my friend owns wouldn't eat the dead mice, even when he wiggled it around. But, again, I'm not the owner, I'm done with this conversation.
>>
>>2079329
Because rats at least are dangerous to feed live. You can find multiple horror stories of snakes being hurt or even killed by cornered rats. If you don't need to, it's an avoidable risk and therefore improper care.
>>
>>2079332
Snakes can eat rats. It runs a risk, but not a high one especially when monitored. But ~He's sticking to mice~
>>
>>2079328
Such a spoiled little shit.
>>
Do rats need to leave their cage? I'm uneasy about letting them out because I'm afraid I step on them or they get trapped under some furniture.
>>
>>2079358
some rats I've had wouldn't want to go back in Tue cage and so they wouldn't come out from under the coach. That got pretty annoying because they would dart around the house and get lost. We'd have to be careful they didn't get outside and such. But really if you just give them a treat along with a special call or shake a can or something every time you put them back you'll be okay.

I miss having rats. I love em.
>>
File: IMG_8938.jpg (604 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8938.jpg
604 KB, 2048x1536
can someone tell me about double rex coats? i recently got a new baby girl last sunday (she's probably about 5 weeks old) and when i got her she had very thin fur and her head was completely bald. within a week all of her fur grew back. so is she gonna become bald or stay fuzzy?

pic related its her and her stupid little curly whiskers
>>
>>2079358
They love leaving the cage to explore and leap around, so I def think it'd be shame if your rats couldn't do that because you're afraid to step on them. Maybe put them in a 'rat secure' room? Like the toilet.

I just open the cage and let them run around on the floor, never stepped on them and they come when I call. My biggest issue is one of them likes to chew stuff he shouldn't.
>>
I came home and found my rat dead. Rest in Peace girl. I hope your weren't in pain and your freaking tumour was an annoyance and not source of torment.

I'm glad I didn't have to put her down myself, don't know if I could handle it.
>>
>>2079358
Mine run about on the sofa/bed when I'm there to supervise them. They don't like jumping down, so they'll be fine.

You can also train your rats to come if you're worried about them getting lost. Get a small bag of treats and rattle it before giving them one. They'll VERY quickly learn that the sound means food, so they'll come running when they hear it.
>>
>>2079443
She will end up with patchy fur, so kind of bald with some fuzzy

To get a hairless you can breed two rexes, sometimes you dont get one so you get the next baldest babies: double rex
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
that way their lips go limp when they're asleep is kawaii
>>
>>
>>
is there anything more comfy in this world than a rat asleep in your shirt?
>>
>>
>>2079777
>Rabbit and rat in same cage with sawdust bedding

The fuck is this shit.

>>2079780
Nope. Though it does explain why holes keep mysteriously appearing in my shirts...
>>
I'm going to need to buy a new rat soon. Any advice on what to look out for in term of health?
>>
>>2079788
"F"
>>
dog the best accessories for rat :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVXyergPwYk
>>
>>2080845
If you're buying from a regular pet store, listen very well to their breathing before you choose. If they've wheezing or grunting you shouldn't buy them.
>>
File: rat-dog-2.jpg (104 KB, 606x605) Image search: [Google]
rat-dog-2.jpg
104 KB, 606x605
>>2081296
Yes some dogs are so good with rats. Treat them like their little babies.
>>
>>2080845

I urge you to consider adopting instead
>>
>>2081403
I don't know anyone who'd be giving rats for adoption.
>>
>>2080845

>Health
- No red discharge around eyes/ears/nose
- Breathing is silent, no coughing/wheezing/constant sneezing/snuffling
- No open wounds or sores
- No limping or favouring one leg over another

>Behaviour
- Bright and alert
- Active, not huddled in a corner looking miserable
- Happily eating and drinking
- Curious about you- it's okay for a rat to be wary, but it shouldn't run away from you in terror
- Comfortable with being picked up- doesn't fight, squeak or struggle
>>
Would fresh air and sunlight be good for rats?
>>
>>2081561
I was advised to keep my rats away from sunlight. And they are very susceptible to cold.
>>
>>2067574
you may have to start feeding her separately
>>
>>2081567
I imagine that's more because they don't want people leaving the cage in direct sunlight, where they'll overheat.
>>
>>2077046
cardboard boxes and toilet paper tubes are a good time and are cheap

if you can get some untreated wood that you're sure doesn't have pesticides or such on it, those are good for chew toys - you can get hard scrap wood at home depot that's good for this purpose. as always, no pine, cedar, or other softwoods!

rope perches and hanging toys for parrots are normally safe for rats, but make sure that the dye is safe to be ingested

my boy doesn't like wheels, but yours might. make sure you get a solid plastic one - they tend to get their feet caught in the wire kind
>>
>>2064564
>Got my boy from a lab
>Psych lab, ran mazes, nothing bad or scary
>Keep him alone because he was never socialized with other rats and is anxious around them
>Was ridiculously obese when I got him because he was free feeding
>Has basically never even heard of any food that's not lab block
>Doesn't like yogurt
>Doesn't like applesauce
>Will eat like two bites of carrots or lettuce and then bury them so they rot

He loves hanging out with me, exploring, and getting pet, but I'm worried about his little rat brain. Should I try introducing him to another rat? He's probably about a year old, I've had him for a few months. I worry about his nutrition too.

What do, /an/?
>>
>>2081598
could also be the fact that albino rats are easily dazzled and should be kept in dim conditions as much as possible

>>2081561
if you intend to leave a window open or something, just make sure that there's no conceivable way they could get out
>>
>>2081626
Rats are social, so you better introduce him to someone. I don't have experience dealing with male rats or lab test subjects though.

On a related note, could rats suffer appetite loss due to loss of cagemate? One of my rats died after long period of illness and another doesn't seem to eat today.
>>
>>2081626
You can try to introduce him. Males can be a little more aggressive though, so make sure you're supervising.

If you find a rattery nearby they should be able to take the other rat back if it doesn't work out!
>>
>>2081640
Yep, it's one of the signs of depression. Give them some favorite foods to entice them to eat. You should think about picking up a new cagemate.
>>
>>2081642
>>2081640
okay, I'm just concerned because he was caged on his own for most of his life

he's pretty chill, but sometimes refuses to drink or eat if agitated
(I know this because once he pinched his water bottle tube into the wrong shape and flooded his cage. He wouldn't eat for two days.)

And like I said, I worry about his nutrition. Can he get by okay on just block?
>>
>>2081654
Lab blocks are fine. Keep trying new (fresh) foods though, you might find something he likes!
>>
File: Zucker_Rat_417x235[1].jpg (24 KB, 417x235) Image search: [Google]
Zucker_Rat_417x235[1].jpg
24 KB, 417x235
>>2081626
>Was ridiculously obese when I got him because he was free feeding

Is he a Zucker Fatty Rat?

http://www.criver.com/products-services/basic-research/find-a-model/zucker-rat
>>
>>2081661
>muh genetics

Poor little dude. He looks like a furry dumpling.
>>
>>2081661
nope, long evans

http://www.criver.com/products-services/basic-research/find-a-model/long-evans-rat

the strain has been used as subjects in diet-induced obesity, but aren't bred to it like zuckers

my boy was part of behavioral studies, he only got fat because his cohort finished their trails so he was just chilling in his cage and eating all day
>>
>>2081654

>(I know this because once he pinched his water bottle tube into the wrong shape and flooded his cage. He wouldn't eat for two days.)

I'm not sure I can picture what happened here. What exactly happened to the tube, now?
>>
>>2081687
The metal was shitty quality, so him clamping down on it with his teeth made it deform so the end of the tube was too wide to be closed off by the ball. (Imagine lodging a pea in the end of a straw full of water and then pinching down with your teeth so the straw is no longer circular and water can escape around the edges of the pea.)

Does that make sense?
>>
if i kept a female and male rat in a cage together for 5 days what are the chances the female is pregs?
>>
>>2081812
Very likely.
>>
File: IMG_2279.jpg (44 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2279.jpg
44 KB, 720x480
Heres Flynn :)

He's dead now
>>
>>2081894
i was so depressed the day I realized that because of their short life-span every rat in every rat picture I've seen online is probably dead
>>
I used to experiment on rats in grad school. I was surprised they're such smart little fuckers. I got so attached to them that I altered the experiment such that I could use the data I gathered from the behavioral component of the experiment and didn't have to kill them. I made sure they all found homes at the end of the study. I decided pretty quickly that I'd never do in-vivo work again. I initially trained them so I could dose them with the study medication by teaching them to drink sugar water from a syringe, and got them used to handling by petting them regularly. Whenever I'd enter the rat room they'd be at the edge of their cages waiting for me, running around all excited, some would even squeak at me. Most of the other rats in the room would cower in the corner of their cages whenever someone entered the room.

The medication I was studying can cause temporary lapses in memory, and that's the aspect I was studying. I never had to "hurt" the rats to get my data, which I was thankful for. I'd dose them and then run them through a series of behavioral tests (mostly a series of different types of mazes) to see how their memory was effected day to day. A few days after the end of the study the medication was completely washed out of their systems and they were fine. I also made the mistake of naming them, no way was I going to kill them after naming them.

Even though they were all adopted out and ultimately no harm came to them from me I still feel kind of dirty that I technically participated in animal experimentation. Seeing the fear in the other rats that were handled much more roughly by other people and never acclimated to handling or played with/petted was a little heart-wrenching, but I try not to think about it.

Never thought I'd care so much about a fucking rat.
>>
How does owning a rat compare to owning other types of rodents? I had a couple guinea pigs, but one of them died today and the other one is also pretty old, so I doubt she's going to last much longer. They were nice pets, but very skittish and they didn't seem to socialize well no matter how much time I spent with them. Is owning rats similar?
>>
>>2082622
In my experience rats are very social and eager to interact with humans. They also less hyperactive and according to my mother they produce far less shit.

However my experience with other rodents are limited - I never had anyone but rats on my own, my mother used to own guinea pigs and hamsters when I was little.
>>
>>2082622
Guinea pigs are prey animals in the wild, so they're naturally skittish, whereas rats are very opportunistic and curious, they love exploring and are usually very fast to realize humans are a source of food and fun. The difference in intelligence when you've interacted with both as pets is very noticeable. I've never been bitten by any of myr rats by accident, while my guinea pigs would sometimes snap at my fingers thinking it was food. Rats are much better at learning and remembering what you teach them, and in general, much more social and happy to interact with humans.

I've previously had 2 guinea pigs and have now owned rats for 4 years. While both of my pigs were social and liked me, the rats are a LOT more fun, both to play with and watch. My pigs would usually just sit still and let me pet them, not interested in exploring anything or doing much else, so they basically felt like living plush toys, while the rats like to play tag with me, use me as a play/climb tower, groom my fingers, crawl around in my shirt etc. They're kind of like small dogs.

Also >>2082650
> they produce far less shit.
This is very true.
>>
>>2082622
Really depends on what you want in an animal. They're very, very nice middle ground between "easy, cheap" and "interactive, friendly, trainable". If what you want is essentially a very tiny dog, rats are a good deal. I've owned hamsters, mice, gerbils, and interacted with a decent amount of Guinea pigs, and rats seem to be the most interested in humans. Rats have always seemed to be the most tolerant to poor ownership/socialization as well. Even shitty pet store or feeder rats are a lot more interactive and easier to tame than other rodents. You're gonna need to spend about an hour a day with them, but they're easier to "fix" is what I'm trying to say.
Also, bear in mind I AM referring exclusively to pet store/similarly sourced animals here. Animals that come from private breeders are going to be thousands of times better regardless of species.
>>
>>2081812
There's virtually no chance she isn't pregnant. What did you expect to happen?
>>
>>2081654
No, feeding JUST one thing is never really good with any animal. Feed oxbow, Mazuri, or Harlan tekklad as a staple alongside fresh fruits, veggies, seeds, and maybe some animal proteins. You don't really have to be cooking them dinner every night, but make sure you're supplementing them.
>>
File: IMG_1976.jpg (89 KB, 484x646) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1976.jpg
89 KB, 484x646
>>2083058
I would always drop my baby some fruits n veggies in the bowl and sometimes treat him with his favorite animal crackers :P
>>
>>2064564
Rat>mouse

I used to breed mice for live food for reptiles.
I had to give them up to my cousin since it demanded too much time for me.

Now she has a fucking mice breeding industry, she even gives them some kind of cow vitamins and hormones mixed with water so they can get fatter.
>>
File: 1449537478135.gif (3 MB, 287x191) Image search: [Google]
1449537478135.gif
3 MB, 287x191
>>2082426
>see videos of rats on youtube
>uploaded at least three years ago
>>
>>2081812
Probably. Post their kids when they are born.
>>
How would I potty train a rat?
Can i get them a glass cage or would a metal/grated one be better?
What kind of bedding do they need?
>>
>>2083351
>How would I potty train a rat?
I don't know. Some choose place to poop on their own, some don't. My rats usually try to not shit on me. I just put filler (don't know how it's called in English) on the cage bottom to absorb smell
>Can i get them a glass cage or would a metal/grated one be better?
They need ventilation, so don't put them into glass boxes
>What kind of bedding do they need?
Mine just sleep on the floor in a pile. There are hammocks for rats, but I don't have one.
>>
>>2083351
>How would I potty train a rat?
Litter training rats is easy. They usually have a designated shitting spot in their cage and don't like pooping elsewhere. If they do poop or pee where they shouldn't, put them back in the cage and place on designated poop/pee spot. They quickly learn that poop in the wrong spot means going back to cage. Never had a rat piss on me.

>>Can i get them a glass cage
No glass cages for rats. They need ventilation and cage walls they can climb on.

>>What kind of bedding do they need?
Shredded newspaper, aspen bedding, pellets, cloth and CareFRESH are the usual choices. Avoid pine or cedar shavings.
>>
>>2083437
>Never had a rat piss on me.
Lucky... mine didn't poop on me but pissed everywhere.
Oh you just changed? Let me piss on your clean clothes
What's that? A phone? Let's walk over it and leave a trail of pee drops
>>
File: SHITCAGE.jpg (42 KB, 672x504) Image search: [Google]
SHITCAGE.jpg
42 KB, 672x504
I saw two two month olds baby rats on craiglist, they are living in a cage way to small and the guy want 50 USD for the rats with the cage. I don't want to give this man any money but I would really like to "save" the little ratties, I don't know how to approach him... I already have a big ass cage I don't need this shitty hamster cage.
Pic related.
>>
so it took me a while but i realized on eof my mice was a friggin phyco. i thought the loud squeeking at 3am was the mice playing, but really it was them crying for help. i knew the crazy one was skittish and would jump as high as the cage upon having his tail touched, and he would bite, but when he broke the skin i knew he had to go.

have any bad rodent experiences, /an/?
>>
>>2083686
Wow that's sad. That cage is way too small for even a hamster :(

I would offer to buy them for less without the cage, not above 20$. I don't know why the guy thinks anyone would pay 50 USD for animals you can buy incredibly cheap in a regular pet store + a minuscule plastic bucket only appropriate as housing for ants.
>>
>>2083707
I've had one problem with a rat who suddenly turned neurotic after the dominant male in the cage died. He began attacking his older cage-mate for no apparent reason. One day I found the older rat with a big bleeding gash on his forehead, at which point I decided to separate them and keep the antisocial rat in another cage.

I tried introducing him to a baby, which he was very aggressive towards, puffing up his fur, chattering his teeth and shaking his tail, going straight for a face bite once he got close. Every time. Once the baby had grown, he just became incredible fearful of it. He screams if it goes near him, runs to hide in my shirt, even sometimes poops in fear.

He was, and is still, very sweet with humans and loves to cuddle, but goes nuts if he sees other rats. He either wants to kill them or is deadly afraid of them. No idea why.
>>
>>2078375

sometimes they look like they're hiccuping when they're happy. give them some attention when they do that and see if they boggle/brux

>>2083752

consider neutering him. I recently got one of my males fixed at a cat shelter for a very low price. the incisions were small and they used surgical glue instead of stitches. he slept a lot for a couple days but recovered fully in under a week. he's back to his calm friendly self and seems much happier and less stressed with both human handling and interaction with his cage bros. he had the orange skin/rough fur thing males get when they have high testosterone, went away in a couple of days and he looks great again
>>
>>2083761
I would definitely consider neutering if it wasn't for his age. He's past 3. I just find it strange, he is otherwise completely normal, both his skin and fur is ordinary, bruxes and boggles his eyes a lot, he loves grooming humans, but I've never seen him initiate grooming with another rat ever since he started hating his own species...

I just keep him in his own cage and take him out several hours of the day.
>>
Come to think of it, how would you even discipline a rat- if it pees or poops on you?
Just put it back in the cage in its poop zone?

Also, when getting new rats should I go for two females or two males?
>>
>>2083989
>Just put it back in the cage in its poop zone?
Yes, and take the poops and put them there. Keep doing this and the rat will come to understand peeing and pooping outside means play/explore time is cut short. It comes naturally to them to poop close to where their territory is, which in a pet rat's case is in its cage.

> females or males
Depends on what you want. Males tend to be more lazy and cuddly, but often leave pee droplets where they walk. Females are more active and less likely to sit still on your lap + prone to mammary tumors if unspayed.
>>
>>2083728
I'm gonna offer him 10 $ for just the rats, and if he really want to sell me the cage I will offer 20 $ as you said.
Yeah, it made me really sad too, he claim that they can go in the little plastic tube, but I know that in a few weeks they'll be way too big to fit inside it.
>>
>>2083351
>Potty train
You can litter train by moving poop outside of the pan into the pan. Plus, they pretty naturally want to poop in corners and stuff, so just pick a place they already want to poop in.
>Cage
You should have a wire cage with at least 1.5 square feet per rat. It should never have a wire bottom, this will hurt their feet. You can cover up wire with fleece if you do want one with wire. Some good cages are martins cages, critter nations, and a lot of ferret cages are appropriate for rats. Also, some larger rabbit cages work too. Those may seem pricey, but don't get a cheap cage; it really isn't worth it in the end.
>>
>>2083989
You should never discipline any animal for eliminating in an undesired spot. It has absolutely no fucking idea what you want it to do. You should always merely interrupt it when it happens, with maybe a loud "NO" and move them to the spot you want them to go.
>>
>>2083752
Sounds like it's a power issue. The alpha rat died and it's screwed up the hierarchy. Now he's not sure of his place in the group, so is being a complete dick.

One of my rats is a bit like this, she was very insecure because she was in the middle, but now she's older and the alpha (because she's twice the size of the others), she'll just throw her weight around and act like a bitch.
>>
>>2084313
Feeding live rats to your snake can be dangerous. Rats have been observed to kill pet snakes. You will be safer with mice. Not that you own a snake. Snake owners aren't faggots who think posting pics of their animal being fed on /an/ will offend anyone.
>>
File: IMG_8661.JPG.jpg (249 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8661.JPG.jpg
249 KB, 960x1280
guys im having a really hard time litter training my stupid rats. i have two young females and a neutered male thats about 3 months. i've tried everything including piss rocks. help.
>>
>>2084341
>power issue
Yeah. He's not exactly a very strong or big rat (clumsy round dumbo), so I'm guessing the only way he thinks he will be able to dominate anyone is by bullying them, and in turn he's afraid to get bullied when they come close.
>>
At what point should you decide to put down a small animal? My hamster has a big ass tumor/abscess larger than a golf ball. It impairs her mobility a bit but that's about it. But it's still real fucking huge and I'm sure it isn't comfortable.
>>
>>2084474
If you sense the animal is seriously bothered, you should have it put down. Hamsters are real good at concealing pain/weakness, but if it's so big you are sure it's uncomfortable, I think you know what has to be done.

Is she eating well? I say the rule of thumb is, if the animal stops eating, it is in severe pain and/or very sick.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.