[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can cats be self consious?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 273x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 273x282
I've noticed everytime I show my cat his reflection in the mirror he tried to avoid looking at it
Is he sad?
>>
inb4shitstorm
>>
>>2061096
My dog sometimes stared at the mirror and hit his reflection with the nose.
He does that with a lot of things though.
>>
I asked this question too when I got my cat. The same thing happened. I think someone said they are semi-aware. Interested to see replies.
>>
>>2061096
>tried to avoid looking at it
He is trying to be polite. Cats don't stare directly at each other unless they want to fight.
>>
No domestic cats and other felines don't feel their ego or have much cognitive ability, which we see in primates.
>>
>>2061096
It looks like the cracky chan of cats
>>
Sometimes on the internet no one knows you're a cat m(;_;)m
>>
>>2061096
Baiting bugguy this hard
>>
>>2061146
I think he's still working on his yard (b&)
>>
>>2061096
My dog does this. It actually has nothing to do with them being self-concious. Some animals just can't recognize themselves in the mirror. They don't understand what they are looking at. Someone once told me that it's like looking at a blank wall for them. Some spieces like elephants and dolphins can recognize their reflections in mirrors though.
>>
>>2061096
In dog language, looking away means "back off". If cats are any similar, he might be trying tell that to his reflection.
>>
>>2061108

This came to mind. If he sees his reflection as another cat, he may be feeling anxious and looking away to try to avoid starting a fight with it. My cat does want to fight, so she hisses and puffs up and marches off to look behind the mirror and find this other cat and beat the shit out of it when she sees her reflection.
>>
>>2061366
>Someone once told me that it's like looking at a blank wall for them

A lot of animals do actually register their reflection as being another animal, they're just incapable of understanding it's themselves in the mirror. Birds are very prone to it - giving them mirrors can be a bad idea because some will obsess over their reflection and treat it like another bird. Some cats and dogs will react to their reflection as if it's another cat/dog, e.g. looking behind the mirror, barking/hissing at it, etc, and some completely ignore it. Being able to recognise a cat in a mirror is different from being able to recognise that YOU are the cat in the mirror, which is what the mirror test is about. Very few animals can pass that.
>>
>>2061096
the mirror test is an interesting way to gauge self awareness, but it's not perfect. Gorillas for example will often fail it because they consider eye contact threatening, but some gorillas, like koko, have passed it.
Dogs also fail the mirror test, but are completely able to recognize their own scent, and can understand that mirrors reflect objects, as they can use them to see objects normally outside their field of vision.
The mirror test is also reliant on the animal in question caring that the reflection is themselves, a less inquisitive animal wouldn't give a shit. whole some dogs will bark at their own reflection, most wont really react at all. If the dog didn't realize that the dog in the mirror was themselves, why wouldn't they react to it the way they would seeing another dog?
>>
>>2061393
my childhood dog never interacted with mirrors as if there was another dog. granted, it's impossible to tell what was going through his head and if he recognized himself versus "I hope if I ignore this other dog it'll go away", but I think he recognized himself as he had no problem with the reflection.

my dog now is retarded and thinks we have another dog that lives underneath his feet, as I have a mirrored coffee table. he checks in on him now and again to see what the coffee-table-puppy's reaction is to something like a new toy or treat.
>>
>>2061096
>humans identify each other by looking at the face
>dogs and cats recognize each other by smell
>a mirror reflects light
>doesn't reflect smell
>mirror cat has no "face" to them
literally slenderman. You bet they're freaking out.
>>
File: 1442181999031.jpg (126 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1442181999031.jpg
126 KB, 720x960
see guys, isn't this a pleasant circlejerk with nobody to disagree with you?

The thread hasn't gone to 300 posts in a day.

you get to say whatever stupidity you believe in and rest easy when nobody comments about how dumb you must be to believe it.

After a month or two you get bored having nobody to argue with and you leave.

because in reality YOU were the troll all along.
>>
>>2061694
>doesn't disagree
>just complains
point out who's wrong or leave.
>>
>>2061711
I've already left.
If I was here to say something the thread would be at 300 posts by now.
>>
File: Cat tips fedora m'lady.gif (2 MB, 335x237) Image search: [Google]
Cat tips fedora m'lady.gif
2 MB, 335x237
>>2061713
post more cats
>>
File: 1393044754802.png (465 KB, 500x690) Image search: [Google]
1393044754802.png
465 KB, 500x690
>>2061717
oops, sorry. I forgot to post a cat.
>>
File: cat tired.gif (2 MB, 370x322) Image search: [Google]
cat tired.gif
2 MB, 370x322
>>2061719
>>
>>2061096
He's probably trans-human and you're triggering his dysphoria.
>>
>>2061686
>>2061393
these
the mirror test only really works on animals that identify eachother by sight, but it's the best we have.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.