[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I mercy kill my beta?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160204_211235.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160204_211235.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
He's laying on his back and hasn't eaten in three weeks. he's pale and I'm worried that he's going to turn into some kind of horrible monster.
>>
If he hasn't eaten in three weeks he's most probably a goner.
>>
File: Screenshot_6.png (247 KB, 469x478) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
247 KB, 469x478
>>2055033
Was that his setup his entire life
>>
Why did you keep your fish in a goddamn tiny bowl with seemingly no toys or decorations or anything for it to play with?
>>
>>2055033
DUDE

Get him out of that fucking setup! Go into the aquarium general right now and post pics and ask for help, you're going to get a lot of shit for the set up but you might be able to save him.

Please tell me you at least got the temp right and you're not using chlorinated tap water or something. Actually, don't even answer that, go to the aquarium general:
>>2053137
>>
>>2055033
>three weeks
I'm pretty sure he died a long time ago man
>>
Goddamnit OP, don't you ever put a fish in a tiny fucking bowl like that ever again! You better do a basic google search on care next time you decide to get any animal, you basically tortured that poor thing!
>>
>what looks like a heater meant for aquariums in a 1 gal fish bowl

You fried your fish m8.

>you fucked up
>>
>>2055046
>>2055039
>>2055037
Guys it's the angle and the magnification, it's a lot larger than it looks.
>>2055047
It self regulates
>>2055041
I'm using reverse osmosis water and the temp is good

This started over Christmas break when my friend had to take care of him, I'm pretty sure that she used tap water that she declorinated with droplets, which is what her beta lives in and seems to be happy with.

I know that this is bad, and rest assured I probably won't get a fish again because I don't want to go through this, but the question stands: do I kill him or not.
>>
And if you think there's still a chance, what do I do? is there some kind of medication that I can get?
>>
>>2055054
To all the people sperging about your conditions, your conditions really arent that bad. That's a decent sized bowl, and if your doing what you say you should be fine. He honestly just looks old to me. how long have you had him?
>>
>>2055054
If he's still moving and not actually dead, then go into the aquarium general and ask them-they might see some bacteria on him or something that can be treated with a $5 bottle of medicine. If it's hopeless, they'll also tell you.
>>
>>2055057
>>2055062
Thank you, I'll head over the the aquarium. I'm afraid he's not old, only about 6 months.
>>
>>2055062
I would be able to tell if he had some kind of external parasite/disease from the pic OP provided. He looks fine. Now there could be an internal parasite, but that's kinda doubtful unless it was given some bad live food.
>>
>>2055065
If you had him for 6 months, and you bought him from petco/petsmart or another big chain, and not a local breeder, chances are he's already 1-2 years old.
>>
>>2055066
Well that's well and dandy, but your only one person with some knowledge. The aquarium general has a lot more people that can offer other perspectives which is always good.
>>
>>2055069
All their likely to do is sperg more over the conditions he was kept in
>>
>>2055071
Everyone's already doing that, he's got more of a chance over there.
>>
File: 1450943113039.jpg (18 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1450943113039.jpg
18 KB, 640x640
>>2055033
YOU STUPID FUCKING IDIOT. WHY WOULD YOU THINK THOSE ARE ACCEPTABLE LIVING CONDITIONS FIR A BETTA?!!!!! CLIMB A DICK YOU FAGGOT!!!!!!!
>>
>>2055089
I can't believe people still post pepe, it's so passe
Anyways thanks for the advice
>>
>>2055075
>he's got more of a chance over there
>implying the people in /aq/ never post in any other aquarium threads
>>
>>2055112
>implying we dont use catalog and see a fish, so we click
>>
File: betta-fish-tank.jpg (96 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
betta-fish-tank.jpg
96 KB, 640x480
>>2055033
That's, sadly, not the worst beta home I've seen but you can still do so much better anon.
>>
>>2055171
That's a beautiful setup.
>>
>guys its bigger than it looks
Its a bowl. Dont use a fucking bowl
>>
>>2055054

Thats a gallon bowl. At least you gave him what I consider the absolute minimum a betta should have.
>>
>>2055208

I don't have fish, so i'm not sure whether to believe it, but I've heard bowls can make fish go insane because the concave nature of the bowls means they can't focus properly on everything outside.
>>
I have a goldfish I once stepped on (by accident, he had jumped out).

He laid on his side in the tank for about 2 weeks and then got better.

So i wouldn't just assume your betta is a goner right off the bat or anything.

There might be hope of recovery. Maybe.
>>
>>2055285
Maybe not insane, but their vision will suffer and theyll develop eye issues or go blind.
>>
>i-it's not as small of a bowl as it looks!
A bowl is never suitable no matter how big it is you shit stain. Get your fish a filter and a heater and something you can properly clean
>>
>>2055463
>trillion gallon bowl
what then faggot
>>
>>2055526
You mean a lake?
>>
>>2055558
if it's in a bowl it's not a lake, that's a natural occurance
>>
>>2055564
a : a natural formation or geographical region shaped like a bowl

a lake can be a bowl.
>>
>>2055565
it can be a bowl geometrically, the definition of lake and bowl as physical objects differ though
a lake cannot be a bowl (as in the physical object)
>>
>>2055577
Well no shit. But a trillion gallon bowl doesnt exist, and will never exist. A lake is as close as a substitute as exists. It's very large, can be bowl shaped, and usually doesn't have a current. and obviously no filter besides natural filtration.
>>
>>2055582
>a trillion gallon bowl doesnt exist, and will never exist
You can never be too sure anon
>>
>>2055582
Natural filtration on that scale is completely different from natural filtration on a fish bowl scale.

Since we're getting all shitty with definitions here.
>>
>>2055280
>you gave him what YOU comsiderd he needs
Just dont get another fucking pet
>>
File: Pepe - Disapointed .png (209 KB, 501x498) Image search: [Google]
Pepe - Disapointed .png
209 KB, 501x498
>>2055094

>Pepe
>Ever being passe

That's like saying the doubles guy is passe.
>>
>>2055171
one of my betta setups
I like your tank it looks good
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.