[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mum found this in her kitchen glove. Any idea what it is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Mum found this in her kitchen glove. Any idea what it is?
>>
>>2054107
It's a cricket
>>
>>2054107
Mole cricket?
>>
My guess is the larval form of some normaler bug, but i really don't have anything to base this on
>>
>>2054107
Its a mole cricket
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 412x357) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 412x357
>>2054108
>>2054109
>>2054111

This is the only kind of cricket we get around here. Wikipedia says mole crickets arent supposed to be here (Western Australia). Not saying that it isn't one, just wondering how the fuck it got here. I've obviously never seen one before
>>
>>2054118
>Distribution[edit]
Mole crickets are relatively common, but because they are nocturnal and spend nearly all their lives underground in extensive tunnel systems, they are rarely seen. They inhabit agricultural fields and grassy areas. They are present in every continent with the exception of Antarctica; by 2014, one hundred and seven species had been described and more species are likely to be discovered, especially in Asia. Neoscapteriscus didactylus is a widespread pest species, originating in South America it has spread to the West Indies and New South Wales in Australia.[28] Gryllotalpa africana is a major pest in South Africa, and other Gryllotalpa species are widely distributed in Europe, Asia and Australia.[29] They are native to mainland Britain (as to western Europe) but the former population of G. gryllotalpa may now be extinct in Britain [30] although surviving in the Channel Islands.[31]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_cricket
>>
>>2054107
Apparently the east coat native Gryllotalpa pluvialis has spread to Perth's greater city area somehow.

Here is some info from the Museum of Western Australia.

http://museum.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/Mole%20crickets.pdf

Melbourne here. We get these under lawns and around patches of weedy winter grass, they make a hellava noise if its warm and been raining for a few days.
>>
>>2054107

That's a brown recluse cricket.

Very dangerous motherfuckers.
>>
>>2055824
this kid
>>
File: 1418993825643.png (5 KB, 210x214) Image search: [Google]
1418993825643.png
5 KB, 210x214
>>2055824
>brown recluse

errytime

This is my favorite /an/ meme.
>>
>>2055824
Yeah; not many people in Oz would know what 'brown recluse' is, mate.
Now if you'd said "Perth Funnel Web Cricket" or "Redback Cricket" you might have something we'd understand.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.