[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /an/ like zoos?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5
File: panda.jpg (110 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
panda.jpg
110 KB, 640x640
Does /an/ like zoos?
>>
File: bongo.jpg (124 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
bongo.jpg
124 KB, 640x640
These are from the Atlanta Zoo btw, I only took 4 pictures.

The Bongo was my favorite.
>>
File: vulture.jpg (179 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
vulture.jpg
179 KB, 640x640
I like vultures.
>>
File: vulture2.jpg (127 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
vulture2.jpg
127 KB, 640x640
I really like vultures.

Wish I took more pictures. Oh well.
>>
>>2054001

Depends on the zoo, some are bad and some are good. The good ones do a lot of good things for conversation and breeding of critically endangered species, have nice big enclosures for the animals, and prioritize animal welfare as number one concern. I like good zoos.
>>
File: sgoin on in here.jpg (491 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
sgoin on in here.jpg
491 KB, 683x1024
>>2054040
ye, this

there are plenty of garbage roadside zoos that are only doing harm, and plenty of really great professional zoos that are awesome and doing lots of good things

i worked at pretty good zoo for three and a half years and finally left cuz bullshit management politics in my department. it mostly didn't affect the animals. mostly. it was enough for me to seek other employment options.

i'd consider getting back into the field at some point.
>>
>>2054052

kek
>>
>>2054040
True that.

My favorite thing about the Atlanta Zoo was their work with the gorillas. They train them to sit through things like check-ups and shots. So instead of being tranquilized, they just chill there while being checked out. Pretty cool. Also they have the oldest gorilla in the world.
>>
>>2054060
husbandry training like that is pretty common nowadays especially with large, dangerous animals. anesthetizing anything is so risky that it's just way better practice to train these behaviors. bonus, it's good enrichment and keeps the animals engaged and busy.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.