[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have chronic depression and was wondering what was a low maintenance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: relax_5-wallpaper-1920x1080.jpg (561 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
relax_5-wallpaper-1920x1080.jpg
561 KB, 1920x1080
I have chronic depression and was wondering what was a low maintenance pet or maybe even plant I could provide care for? It's hard enough to care for myself so I don't want anything like a dog or cat.
>>
>>2042086
plants
insects
fish
rock
>>
>>2042086
Get a few bird feeders and some nice feed and set it all outside and watch your birds come and go. It doesn't sound as exciting as it really is, like, once you start getting different kinds and color birds it's pretty cool and soothing.
>>
>>2042086
What do you look for in a pet, OP? What's your budget? Does lifespan matter?
Chronic depression here as well, and generally I'd suggest rats. Low maintenance, trainable, affectionate, interactive. They're really the best low maintenance you can get as far as interactive and affectionate small pets. Cages can be somewhat expensive, but rats themselves are very inexpensive to care for. However, they can die in 2-3 years, so this is a big downside if you can't handle shit like that. I believe Guinea pigs have much longer lifespans, but they're more high maintenance and need a huge as dick cage. Fish have personally never appealed to me, however, there are a bunch of slightly more interesting amphibious options. Frogs and newts are cool as fucking shit. Reptiles tend to get a little more high maintenance.
>>
>>2042086
A tarantula.
>>
>>2042109
I do have rats and I love them but I feel more like my husband takes care of them than I do. Then I get into this spiral of "oh god I'm not good enough to take care of them I'm such a bad owner" and it just goes from there.
>>
>>2042106
That sounds like a nice idea. Thank you anon.
>>
Get a cactus.
>>
>>2042109

rats a shit
>>
>>2042106
Going off of this idea, you might even want to get into bird watching from the feeder. Maybe get a book so you can figure out what bird is what

>>2042112
This is my issue, but people just keep dropping animals on me and I can't find a good place for them so I get fucked with it
>>
File: 20160104_005358.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160104_005358.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
If you want a low maintenance pet that isn't an arthropod that's actually fun to watch, I'd definitely recommend getting an African Clawed Frog. They don't need constant water management like fish, the only thing you need to make sure of is that your water doesn't come into contact with metal, and just use tap water conditioner every 2 weeks when you or your husband does a water change.

They're very easy-going, and they like to explore their aquarium when you give them lots of hiding places. You just gotta get some sinking fish pellets for food, and maybe a mealworms every once in a while. They look super silly when they eat, I really enjoy feeding my lil girl.

Just get one, and it can live in a ten gallon tank minimum for life. Get some fake decorations and a half decent filter and you've got a fun, easy to care for pet that can actually somewhat interact with you. One of the most underrated pets out there if you ask me.
>>
>>2042086
A pet ant.
>>
>>2042146
It's so derpy I love it.
>>
>>2042086
If you're into reptiles, a beginner snake like a ball python would be great. Low maintenance, not very expensive other than buying the setup and animal, and you can search for a super calm one as they're very common. I too suffer depression but my herps (reptiles) bring me a lot of happiness.
>>
>>2042645
Same boat here, I'd recommend a reptile too. Although it's not what you asked for OP, an animal with higher care requirements will be good. Plants are easy but not much to do. A snake will get you out of bed to change their water, clean the tank and you'll have a responsibility and purpose. My ball python really helps me.

Best of luck.
>>
File: hope.jpg (83 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
hope.jpg
83 KB, 500x628
>inb4 not-cat proof feeder and a post in a /sad/ thread
>>
>>2042090
>fish

No.
>>
>>2042086
dont get a pet. a psycho like you will probaly kill it
>>
>>2042146
Make sure that any and all decorations do not have any sharp edges, and if you do get fake plants then make sure there are no wires or crap randomly sticking out that could hurt the little froggies.

Also make sure you don't get scammed into buying their related species, who look identical to them as juveniles, but grow fucking massive enough when adults that they outgrow their tank.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.