[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a bird/parrot thread going?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 94
File: th.jpg (135 KB, 1365x900) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
135 KB, 1365x900
discuss anything bird related
>>
File: Trichoglossus haematodus (2).jpg (2 MB, 2720x2176) Image search: [Google]
Trichoglossus haematodus (2).jpg
2 MB, 2720x2176
Reminds me of this photo I took a few months ago, not parrots but pretty sure they are birds.
>>
File: birds are cool 0.jpg (86 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
birds are cool 0.jpg
86 KB, 720x960
yes
>>
>>
File: birds are cool 11.jpg (472 KB, 1230x1905) Image search: [Google]
birds are cool 11.jpg
472 KB, 1230x1905
I like parrots, especially amazon yellow napes but I just don't have the dedication to give them the time/attention they need

so I just enjoy them through youtube videos like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLsKlqiyuX0
>>
File: birds are cool 14.jpg (394 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
birds are cool 14.jpg
394 KB, 900x1200
>>
File: YellowWarbler.jpg (53 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
YellowWarbler.jpg
53 KB, 480x360
warblers are my fav
>>
>>2040506
>>
File: 20160117_142235.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160117_142235.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>2040412
>>
File: 287 - dbmqJAf.jpg (163 KB, 395x368) Image search: [Google]
287 - dbmqJAf.jpg
163 KB, 395x368
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 852x1136
>>
Are there a lot of concerns with birds and open top aquariums? I have 5 aquariums in the room I would be keeping the bird in.
>>
>>2041176

they can drown in those, and they will try to investigate, all aquariums need tops if you have a bird
>>
I have a lutino cockatiel that I got recently but it's always hungry? As soon as it's feeding time, he's in the bowl stuffing his face while my other cockatiel is just sitting there. He's quite thin compared to my other tiel but I was thinking that might be because he's younger.

He's fairly new, about 1-2 weeks, I got him as a companion for my other tiel who has been with me for a month.
>>
>>2041886

could be an illness, giardia comes to mind, look up the difference between healthy and unhealthy poop

also feeding time?
>>
>>2041889

Just when I put the seeds in (random times) and when I give it some millet treats.
>>
>>2041908

you don't give them fresh food throughout the day?
>>
>>2041910

I'm new to looking after tiels, I put some corn and greens but they don't seem interested in it. I usually feed them millet/seed/pellets. Trying to cut down on the seed but they seem to eat only that.
>>
>>2041910

Oh, and I usually put in a big bunch of seed once a day and change their water whenever I see poo or excess seed. Advice appreciated!
>>
>budgie eats insulation and pads, gnaws on wires
>put some ground up apple in its cage
>it's now scared of the cage
>starts gnawing on an aluminum desk lamp
>also gnaws the lightbulb

What the fuck is wrong with it
>>
>>2043406

does it have toys, perches, and a play area outside of its cage or are you just letting it out without engaging it and wondering why it's being destructive?
>>
Oh, I so miss my parakeets... I moved and had to leave them with my parents, so I will never see them again. Yes, I miss my parrots, not parents.
>>
>>2041917

keep mixing but lower the amount of seeds, hang food up like toys to encourage them to taste it while they play, if you have a juicer make them vegetable juices (for some reason even picky birds are willing to try new drinks over food) to introduce them to new foods, my birds like when i make them granola chunks and i put things like spinach that they don't care for on its own in there, eat in front of them and offer them pieces of your food, offer a lot of variety, and just don't give up and keep trying pretty much...

i had really picky budgies that wouldn't touch anything except at first, but after a while even the pickiest one was going crazy over new foods and eating peppers, broccoli, oats, squash, carrots, etc (her favourite was cauliflower)
>>
>>2043495

except seed at first*
>>
>>2043495
Will try to give it vegetable juices. Will fruit juices be harmful because of all the sugar? Should I dilute veggie/fruit juices?

It actually eats various kinds of seeds and grains, but refuses to consume eggs, fruits or veggies, and for some reason is incredibly scared of spaghetti. It just throws it out of her tray.

>>2043484
I am wondering why it prefers to try inedible things and absolutely refuses to try vegetables and fruit.
>>
File: cotlfogr.gif (3 MB, 236x456) Image search: [Google]
cotlfogr.gif
3 MB, 236x456
cockatiel second hand

anyone know this trick?

its noted by a specific posture(tall and skinny), a specific chirp(no audio on /an/ but I have some), and then the left foot raise and grasp shown in the gif.
>>
This is your bird on mirrors
>>
File: KIMG0222.jpg (4 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0222.jpg
4 MB, 1836x3264
>>2044398
>>
File: KIMG0223.jpg (4 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0223.jpg
4 MB, 1836x3264
To keep the thread alive I am asking for avian setups. Pic related(idk why it's sideways) for my cockatiel...he's an absolute cock.

Post your cage?
>>
>>2044167

birds like to destroy shit, and shiny things or things they can pick at and rip apart will attract them + they use their beaks to check shit out, but they can be picky about new food if they weren't raised trying things and you aren't bonded enough for them to be interested in what you're eating... that's why hanging food up like it's a toy works well when you want to introduce them to something

she probably throws the spaghetti out cuz she doesn't want it, and is uninterested in trying it... try hanging it up and see how that goes, or even better try doing the same thing with spaghetti squash

i recommended vegetable juice cuz vegetables are healthier than fruit for birds, and if they're picky that's what you're gonna want them to taste and get accustomed to more... they can have some fruit juice, diluting it is better, and no added sugar
>>
>>2044972
>>2044167

+ they can also have herbal teas (i make tea, then dilute it for them) my conure goes crazy over peppermint tea, and my budgies really like chamomile...
>>
They're so fucking cute.
>>
My lovebird just made a purring sound today I never heard before. She dropped her toy so when I picked it up to hang it back again she started purring.
She only does this when I'm touching the toy and she's near it.

what does that mean? I never heard her making such a noise before.
>>
>>2044993
On a side note, I took care of a jardine parrot for about a week and it made purring sounds all the time. Is she maybe imitating it?
>>
>>2044996
Well, my parakeet imitated the sound which pidgeons made landing
>>
File: 348737.jpg (301 KB, 1000x748) Image search: [Google]
348737.jpg
301 KB, 1000x748
What can I expect with pet ptarmigans?
>>
Do diffrent green cheek mutations have different personalities? Thinking of getting a turquoise but i heard that out of all of them, they like interaction the least
>>
File: paperbird.webm (761 KB, 568x320) Image search: [Google]
paperbird.webm
761 KB, 568x320
>>
>>2045314
To think, that thing was once a T Rex
>>
File: blue-feathered-archaeopteryx[1].jpg (170 KB, 971x1080) Image search: [Google]
blue-feathered-archaeopteryx[1].jpg
170 KB, 971x1080
Does this count?
>>
>>2044996

probably learned it from the jardine if it never did it before, my green cheek makes purring sounds when she's happy or likes something... she's always done it though

>>2045244

i've heard people say they do, and others say it doesn't make a difference, i've only ever been around my own green cheek though and she's a pineapple so i can't really say much...
>>
I really wpuld like to get a cockatoo but what are conditions i need and how much do they cost?
>>
Just got a new budgie yesterday and so far it's been pretty stressed in its new home. Right now he's in quarantine before I introduce him to my other budgie, but this new one seems really stressed.

He hasn't been eating or drinking, and his poo is very watery, I think he has diarrhea. His poo is also sticking to his cloaca area and making it really messy. Is this normal for a stressed out bird in its first few days in a new home?

I'm a fairly new bird owner so I'm thinking of calling the store to see what they think, they were really helpful and said I could call anytime with questions. But what do you guys think?
>>
>>2045752
Don't get a cockatoo. See >>2045731 and the posts in that thread for reasons why.
>>
>>2046000

Should I be worried that she might lay eggs alone?
Will she survive alone or do I need to take immediate action and get her a male?

Please respond
>>
>>2045991

sometimes budgies won't eat the first day or two, but i'd be concerned about the diarrhea cuz that's not really normal... they do shit different when they haven't eaten, but it being diarrhea and stuck to the vent isn't ok

you should probably contact a vet, discuss what's going on and take it in for a check up
>>
>>2045752
why do you want a cockatoo over any other bird?

What are you expectations from it as a pet?
>>
>>2046011

+ the longest i've ever had a new bird (budgie) that didn't eat was a day, and then he ate a little the second day and was eating normally by the third... his shit was a little abnormal the first two days and then was fine the third and has been since... but the first two days it looked exactly the way it does when a bird isn't eating (there are websites you can find where you can see what it looks like when a bird hasn't been eating, i'll see if i can find one, but you can just as easily google it to see pics it might help, and you should know anyway cuz it's a good indicator of a bird's health)

stress can do a lot to a bird though... but like i said the fact that it's sticking is something i'd be really concerned about
>>
>>2046007

what was wrong with her mate? if it was something contagious she needs a vet and medicine, not only for her but any potential babies she could pass any illness onto... she could be fine laying eggs (make sure she's on a proper diet for it), and a new mate would probably be good for her eventually, but before all that a vet would probably be helpful, depending on why her mate died
>>
>>2046020
He died because of a physical injury
(hit the door at high speed and suffered from internal bleeding in the head, deduced that from after he died, saw a big dark reddish purple area on his head and the center of it was kinda black, I regret not clipping him)
>>
>>2045752

pretty much this >>2045992

cockatoos usually don't do well as pets, they're the most frequently rehomed birds and a lot of them end up in shelters... most people don't have the time or money to give them proper care, and even when people have them for years they can suddenly develop problematic behaviour... i've read about people having cockatoos for 10+ years and the bird suddenly develops a fear of hands or becomes aggressive or neurotic and starts plucking...

one of my uncles had an umbrella cockatoo when i was a kid, and it was a great bird that i loved but he did drive everyone in the house insane with his screaming especially at night when it was time for bed... and for a long time i actually wanted one until i read about what owning them is actually like on forums where their owners discussed their birds... after doing a lot of research i decided a green cheek was much better suited for me and what i want out of a pet, and i'm extremely happy with that decision... if you want a bird that's affectionate and entertaining, but is better suited to be a pet a conure is a better choice... they still need a ton of attention though so you have to be prepared for that...
>>
>>2046023

sorry to hear that... i would wait to see if she lays eggs honestly and then get her a mate after you know what's going on... i imagine introducing a new bird while she's like this or while there's babies involved probably isn't the best idea
>>
>>2046028
alright, thanks for the advice
>>
File: Birbs 2gether.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Birbs 2gether.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
I need some advice. I'm going to get a sun conure and was getting a nagging feeling of getting a cockatiel along with the sun conure after seeing some videos of cockatiels whistling songs in /wsg and reading how good birds they are and affectionate. I just have some questions:

Should I or shouldn't I? Is it good for parrots to have a companion bird when humans aren't around? Should I get both together as babies if I do? Do they get jealous? Is it possible that they will bond only with each other and forget me? Any other points/concerns I missed?
>>
>>2047651

conures get jealous they want attention from you, other birds, anyone who will give it etc

you'd need two cages, companions are good but there's no guarantee they'll get along and different species shouldn't share a cage... having other bird companions is nice for them, my greencheek loves and gets along with my two budgies (and her being a baby when i got her and always being around budgies helped), but it isn't necessary if you have time

i initially was going to get a sun or a jenday, but the noise factor put me off and i went with a green cheek instead... have you heard a sun conure screech yet? if you haven't listen to that before you get one...

personally i'm not a fan of cockatiels, the whistling can be cute but there's no guarantee yours will... they can be great birds for the right person, but i think they're a bit boring
>>
>>2047658
>>2047651

+ if you're getting them from a breeder handfed and handraised keeping them tame should be easier, but conures are really a handful, taking care of my green cheek is a lot like watching my one year old niece
>>
So if I'm a complete beginner and never had a bird before, what types should I be looking at? I kinda don't want a budgie.
>>
>>2047683
I would say cockatiel.
>>
File: A281_Z1.jpg (429 KB, 1071x760) Image search: [Google]
A281_Z1.jpg
429 KB, 1071x760
Why are caiques so lewd?
>>
my cockatiel kept trying to put himself under the grill today while I was cooking my lunch in it. He is such a goober sometimes.
>>
>>2047697
try getting a job and you wont have these problems because youll be at work
>>
>>2047698

it wasnt a problem.
>>
>>2047683

budgies make better pets than most people realize, they're underrated + buying a bird handraised and handtame from breeder makes a huge difference

cockatiels are usually recommended too, but personally i prefer budgies, i like their personalities better and they're more entertaining...

if you have a lot of time and are willing to put a bit of extra care and attention in green cheeks are great...
>>
File: Babeh.gif (2 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
Babeh.gif
2 MB, 250x141
Burbs always make me happy.
>>
File: IMG_0161.jpg (697 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0161.jpg
697 KB, 1920x1080
>>2040620
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Keets
>>
File: 20151112_182749.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151112_182749.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
Ok, help me out here. Can birds masturbate? Because every so often my GCC will act weird and then rub her tail area against my shoulder for a while
>pic related, my birb hiding in my closet
>>
>>2047958
for sure. look up some stuff on GCC sexual behavior; I'm pretty sure they'll try to rub on you and also if you stroke them too far down the back/tail area it kinda turns them on and entices the behavior. I've also read (and seen my GCC conure do something similar) that the tips of their beaks are very sensitive, and they can get really into rubbing them on certain objects.
>>
>>2047970
Huh. Well that's interesting. I guess I should be flattered
I know for sure she loves rubbing her beak on the fabric of my sofa
>>
>>2046023
After his injury, did he act differently? With eating habits and such?
>>
File: MG_8876_starling_youngster.jpg (425 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
MG_8876_starling_youngster.jpg
425 KB, 900x600
Been looking after an abandoned Starling fledgling for the past 2 weeks, he's acted normal and eaten fine until the past 2 days or so, he's stopped gaping up for food, yet chirps incessantly for food, every time I show him the food stick he just pecks it then throws the food that he gets into his beak all around the place.

Tried putting food on a dish and tried to get him to eat off that but no go.

Seems like an attitude problem, any clue whats going on?
>>
>>2048018
can you post a pic so i can see how old it is? what are you feeding? do you know how to check and see if it's dehydrated?
>>
File: C360_2016-01-28-16-04-10-095.jpg (444 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
C360_2016-01-28-16-04-10-095.jpg
444 KB, 1536x2048
>>2048028
Been feeding it the soaked dog/cat food/boiled egg mix as standard and also have another mix which has bits of fruits and stuff in it as well as a treat.

Not sure if its dehydrated but I doubt it because the food has quite a bit of moisture in it since it's been soaked.
>>
What's /an/'s views on clipping? It's stressing me out. Do I clip? Why or why not?
>>
File: james-joyce.jpg (92 KB, 800x964) Image search: [Google]
james-joyce.jpg
92 KB, 800x964
>>2048041

www.starlingtalk.com

They know more than we do.
>>
>>2048043

I posted a reply with an ambivalent viewpoint, but in retrospect I decided to delete that reply and advise you against it.

In some circumstances, some birds can "benefit" from having had their feathers clipped because doing so can make them easier to handle. That's more of a benefit to their master than to them, directly, though.

But there are a lot of risks involved. You can end up really hurting a bird if you wound its wing while trying to clip the feathers, and having feathers clipped can be very stressful to birds. Even having their flying ability blunted could be stressful.

It's really not necessary, so if I were you I wouldn't do it. There's no need to expose your bird to any unnecessary stress or risk. I never clipped my bird's feathers in all the years I had her.
>>
>>2047970
Hmm, do females masturbate that way too? I always thought only the males actually humped things.
>>
>>2048001
he was sort of paralyzed
like couldn't stand on his legs but could move them
couldn't take him to the vet because it was late and I had to basically stay all night with him to make sure he doesn't move around in his cage
he died at 6 am in the morning just before the vet was available by two hours :(
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 500x535) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 500x535
>>2047958
>Can birds masturbate?

a budgie I had when I was a kid was a complete shameless wanker, rubbing up on his perch, on peoples' shoulders and anywhere he found a nice sexy bump
>>
I really wanted a parrot again
I only have singing birds right now
>>
>>2048095
Okay thanks, I guess I'll just minimize the risk of him flying into anything. Any tips? He's a green cheek conure. I make sure he's inside the cage when cooking or anything else of the sort is going on. Can they be taught not to fly into windows and mirrors? Or do I have to cover them up?
>>
>>2048231

Do you have Venetian blinds? If you have then then he most likely won't fly into the windows, and even if he does the blinds would presumably cushion the impact.

If you don't have them maybe you could get them (though you'd have to be sure they were installed properly so they wouldn't ever fall on her). I don't think they're at all expensive.

I don't have much experience with parrots--most of my experience is with a songbird.

My bird never flew into mirrors or anything. However she did once get caught between the door and door-frame when my mother was closing it, and this caused her a superficial injury. If the door had been closed more completely, the injury could've been worse.

Remember to never have the ceiling fan on when your bird is out. Ceiling fans kill or maim lots of birds.
>>
>>2048231

Also, I don't really know if any kind of bird could be *taught* not to fly into windows or mirrors. Mine never gave mirrors any thought and the windows were pretty much always covered with blinds.

Maybe someone else who knows about that will come along. If that doesn't happen it couldn't hurt to just cover the mirrors and windows.
>>
>>2048231
i stick some post-its onto windows/mirrors.

looks tacky but my birds havnt flew into them since
>>
Hey so I started working at this pet store and they have an older Amazon parrot. It seems to be nippy/defensive any steps I can take to get it to like me?
>>
>>2047958
Yes. Especially if one has a mirror all they do IS HUMP. They also get "embarrassed" (make soft chirping sounds) if you catch them in the act.

Source: my male budgie. He lost a lot of training. Now he follows my grandma where ever she goes as he has less mirror time. He will even go into the bathroom and will sit next to her.
>>
Well my Starling started falling on its side, then about 5 minutes ago started death throes for about 10 seconds then died.

A bit of a let down, put a lot of effort into looking after that bird.
>>
I love my budgie, we already have an established holy war regarding where my ex's earrings are supposed to be on budgie's perch: left or center. Budgie wants it to be in the CENTER. I want it to be on the left just to annoy the budgie.

How do I ensure my pet never dies?
>>
My experiences is turquoises were the least friendly but I assumed it because they get handled more regular at breeders because they're less common
>>
File: DSC_3481.jpg (4 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3481.jpg
4 MB, 3872x2592
Don't know what it is, but it has beautiful feathers.
>>
>>2050131
Almost looks like a grackle or blackbird.
>>
>>2050131
a starling
>>
File: Snapchat--8235387210872461611.jpg (681 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat--8235387210872461611.jpg
681 KB, 1080x1920
>>2048188
>>2048549
This has been very informative. Thanks!
>>
File: 20160127_224622.jpg (4 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
20160127_224622.jpg
4 MB, 2988x5312
Bebop and Wu-Tang
>>
>>2051074
cute
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-31-15-54-02-1.png (948 KB, 1080x1105) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-31-15-54-02-1.png
948 KB, 1080x1105
Throwback to when I found this mockingbird bro
>>
>>2045317
once you meet one you'll understand
>>
I got a new cockatiel with a purple leg band with the numbers 0038 09987 on it
I live in the middle east so I don't know fuck all about how they it here
>>
File: 1440511418407.jpg (120 KB, 723x675) Image search: [Google]
1440511418407.jpg
120 KB, 723x675
How many birds in the bush is this worth?
>>
My budgie:

1. Is not afraid of my hand. She will bite it, nibble it or perch on it.
2. Is not afraid of my head. She will nibble my hair and walk all over my face.
3. Is not afraid of my cat. She will nibble the cat and try to land on it.
4. Is not afraid of the wooden box I gave her, she chewed it to pieces.

But why is she afraid of apples?
>>
>>2052194

>>
File: 1453170038516.png (2 MB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
1453170038516.png
2 MB, 852x1136
>>2040952
Sorry, I'm from /b/...
>>
File: 1451531540990.gif (2 MB, 350x195) Image search: [Google]
1451531540990.gif
2 MB, 350x195
What bird is this
>>
>>2053397
Woodcock, such beautiful birds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Owj52XhoxI
>>
>>2052686
Eat it in front of her. She'll realize it's safe.
>>
>>2052696
me too lol
>>
So I've put off hand training my parakeet for a while (I've probably had it 4-5 months) because I'm retarded and lazy

Now when I have apples or green peppers she will come to the edge and look at me. So I decided to try and offer her a little piece and she takes it. Obviously shes not scared of me anymore, so would it be a perfect time to start hand training her? I feel bad for keeping her cooped up in a cage but I have never in my life been able to keep a solid routine for anything.
>>
Would it be possible to breed wintering budgies? That could survive temperatures as low as -30C?
>>
>>2054029
It took me 4 months to hand train a lovebird since it first flew in its cage (found bird in open cage in my backyard) and only spent about an hour or two a day with it. It shouldn't be hard to hand train a parakeet, just spend a few minutes everyday until it warms up to you. Doesn't have to be at a specific time, just as long as you are there. Also let the bird out of it cage more.
>>2054418
No.
>>
How much broccoli can I give my canary?
>>
File: IMG-20160110-WA0010.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160110-WA0010.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
Muh parrots
>>
What do you guys like to feed your budgies besides seeds? My 3 love celery and I'm pretty sure this one masterbaits on it while eating it
>>
>>2055457

broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, sweet potatoes, all kinds of squash, peppers, carrots, corn, peas, rice, pasta, bread, oats, grapes, berries, apples, bananas, pineapple, spinach, mustard greens, basil, parsley, pumpkin, eggs, lemon balm, herbal tea, anything and everything they can eat
>>
>>2039541

Those are parrots. Rainbow lorikeets.
>>
>>2055640
Are there any foods they absolutely cannot eat? Like cats and chocolate? New to birbs/parrots, just curious.
>>
>>2055654

just off the top of my head:

chocolate, avocado, onions, garlic, tomato, eggplant, coffee, the seeds of cherries, apples, pears, and peaches, dairy, foods with sugar and foods with salt
>>
File: I trusted you.webm (798 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
I trusted you.webm
798 KB, 426x426
>>
Anyone have any experience with Dr. Harvey's brand bird food? I've heard it's a really great seed mix for budgies.
>>
>>2055660
Budgies can absolutely eat apples, pears and peaches. Just not the seeds/pit.
>>
>>2044191
does it blow on his foot?
>>
>>2056103

read what i said again, i specifically mentioned that they couldn't have the seeds of those things
>>
File: image.jpg (274 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274 KB, 960x720
What happened to this poor guy, /bird/? Is he molting or something? Did he pluck his own feathers, or what? I don't know anything about birds...
>>
>>2056454

looks like plucking
>>
>>2039068
ATTENTION BIRD OWNERS
i have a critical question, it has tormented me forever. I never had a bird so I don't know the answer.
how do birds smell? what if you stick your nose on it's feather, what will it smell?
>>
>>2056516

My experience has been they don't really smell like much of anything.
>>
>>2056528
What about the house? Does it smell like birb? Will it smell like shit?

Dont really care, even. Just wondering.
>>
>>2056516

my green cheek has a bit of a scent if you put your face in her feathers it's pleasant, but hard to describe, sortof flowery and sweet

i thought it was weird until i looked it up and noticed other people describing similar scents

>>2056533

their shit doesn't smell at all, and if it does they need to go to the vet asap
>>
>>2056516
My bird smells a bit like brown sugar
>>
>>2041176
Your bird will shit in them
>>
>>2056516
They smell like bird seed.
>>2056604
What you feed it? My past parakeet smelled sweet when it bathed. i don't want o get my nose close to my lovebird since those fuckers will bite at slightest provocation.
>>
File: 20160127_224622.jpg (4 MB, 2988x5306) Image search: [Google]
20160127_224622.jpg
4 MB, 2988x5306
One of my budgies dies again. The one on the left, his name it Wu-Tang. He replaced a bird that died unexpectedly a few weeks ago. No signs of fighting. Please help me, /an/. I'm not getting another bird until I can figure out what is happening.
>>
>>2056745

take bebop to the vet, he might have something contagious that he isn't showing symptoms of that killed the other two birds

what's the area you keep them in like? is there mold? any toxic plants? was their poop normal? what have you been feeding them? how are you keeping their food? do you burn candles, incense, or use nonstick cookware?
>>
>>2056752
I keep them in my room. I feed them some seed mix, but I offer fresh veggies or fruits every day. I don't use candles, or any cleaning stuff in my room. I even have an air filter in my room. No nonstick cookware.
>>
>>2056759

do you change the fruit and veggies every couple of hours?

how did they behave? did they nap a lot? were they thin? i assume you handled them a little did you notice any bone protrusion? did they eat constantly? eating a lot but still being thin is indicative of yeast issues or pdd

did they lose any feathers, and if they did what did they look like? pbfd affects the feathers and will look like they're rotting at the base sometimes

bebop could be a carrier of something, but stay asymptomatic

look up the difference between unhealthy and healthy budgie poop, you can check bebop's and also if you noticed or remember anything about the other birds while cleaning the cage you might have an answer right there

definitely take him to the vet as soon as you can, they could've come to you from the shop sick already and exposed him to their illness or vice versa either way if it's something contagious and treatable you don't want to lose him
>>
>>2056206
My bad, I guess I interpreted it as "the seeds of cherries, (and the actual fruits) apples, pears, peaches."
>>
File: DORQy4y.jpg (63 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
DORQy4y.jpg
63 KB, 800x800
bread bird
>>
>>2056533
As mentioned, the bird itself doesn't smell like much of anything. There can be kind of a dank kind of smell when they bathe and get really wet, but you have to try hard to notice it.

And the shit won't smell too bad, either, as long as you clean it and don't let it pile up.

However, if it's a female and it starts laying eggs, that can get nasty. They're usually smart enough not to shit in their nest (or whatever part of the cage they've chosen as their "nest"), so they kind of save it all up and take one huge shit when they leave the nest to go eat or whatever. That will make you gag.
>>
>>2056516

sometimes I take a big whiff of my tiel when he's preening

it smells like the feeling you get when you're wrapped up in a warm blanket it's hard to describe
>>
>see red tailed hawk in backyard
>it flies away before I can get pic

feels bad
>>
>>2056516
my bird usually smells like whatever she just ate because she's messy
>>
>>2056454
fix him!
>>
>>2056516
nothing, or just a bit like thin dust.

in fact smell a clean sweater and thats equivalent.

they can smell a bit like brown sugar if they eat a lot of fruits.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-08-15-01-51.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-08-15-01-51.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
>>2039541
Proud owner of a rainbow lorikeet
>>2044862
Also my setup
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-08-15-09-16.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-08-15-09-16.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
>>2057784
Also my other setup, they dont get along at all
>>
>>2056516
my mealy smells like an earthy lavender, is very pleasant.
>>
>>2039068
I just an impulse to buy a canary. Obviously, I'm not going to act on it.

Are canaries affectionate? Like will willingly sit on your shoulder.

Are birds worth the smell? I told my roommates about my urges, and they said birds smell. Is this just the cage they are talking about?

Does the blanket technique actually work?

Is there are better pet bird who sings beautifully?
>>
>>2058488

> are birds worth the smell

>>2057725
>>2057008
>>2056876
>>2056669
>>2056555
>>2056604
>>2056528

your roommates are wrong

breeders sometimes sell handtame canaries, but taming one yourself is harder than taming a parrot/parakeet
>>
>>2058498
>taming one yourself is harder than taming a parrot/parakeet

Yeah, I just saw that they are independent.
I don't know if I want a bird just to listen to it's song. I will probably have to dwell on this more.

Thank you for letting me know about the smell. I know cages can smell gross, but that's if not properly cleaned. In my opinion, cats smell the worse.
>>
>>2058501

yeah my bird cages never smell, you're supposed to clean them every day and bird shit has no scent; if it does the bird is sick

the only time i've ever noticed an unpleasant smell was when one of my budgies had cancer

i've also known plenty of people with birds, and i've never noticed any kind of smell from any of them

your roommates must have been around very neglected or sick birds to think that

if you want a bird to be a companion, i recommend reading up on different species and seeing what suits you best, and getting a handtame bird from a breeder
>>
File: pineapple-2[1].png (155 KB, 269x402) Image search: [Google]
pineapple-2[1].png
155 KB, 269x402
>>2056516
The weirdest thing happened to me the other day. I bought a whole pineapple, and happened to smell it (smell the hard outer part of it), and bam, it smelled exactly like the sun conure I used to have. freaky.
>>
>>2058511
>I bought a whole pineapple
Why?
>>
File: 1452303867681.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452303867681.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>2058516
>he doesnt buy whole pineapples
>he buys the processed prepackaged non-fresh slices
>>
>>2056516
They smell like aspen
>>
>>2058520
I don't buy pineapples. They kindof hurt my tongue.
I was wondering what dish he was putting it in or if he was planning on eating it plain.
>>
File: photo.jpg (67 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
67 KB, 900x900
>>2058527
The good sweet kind don't hurt your tongue, and this is coming from someone with a very sensitive tongue, esoecially to regular pineapples.
>>
File: SIXTY NIGGERS.jpg (208 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
SIXTY NIGGERS.jpg
208 KB, 1100x733
Does anyone have the video of some birds or a hanging rope and the camera pans to the right to show another rope with another parrot spinning frantically on it?
>>
File: alle7_4020[1].jpg (154 KB, 1000x640) Image search: [Google]
alle7_4020[1].jpg
154 KB, 1000x640
Hello /an/,
My neighbour just found a bird I've never seen before and brought it to my house. It was a tiny black bird(pic related). We determined it was a Dovekie based on it's black webbed feet even though it looks like a normal land bird rather than a sea one. Anyways, he was flopping around in the street so we put him in a box and left him outdoors in our gazebo. Local bird sanctuary told us to basically throw him into the ocean but my sister who is a vet said you have to do it a certain way or you risk having them go "plop" whatever that means. So a bird expert from a local animal hospital dropped by and we went to the harbor together. Now the birb is presumably still floating in the harbor and I am here, home, telling you about it. It is literally the most calm bird I've ever witnessed. It approached us when we picked it up and "cuddled up" in our hands until we transferred it to the box. It looked alert and responsive when it was put into the water and kind of swam away. We had a big storm here and apparently it's common for them to get blown off course but according to bird expert they have a hard time taking flight from solid ground(well, soft and slipper with snow and ice).

tl;dr Found a Dovekie, threw it into the ocean, will it be ok?
>>
>>2053397

Brown Recluse.
>>
File: 1452046163852.gif (2 MB, 465x280) Image search: [Google]
1452046163852.gif
2 MB, 465x280
>>2058668
All I have is this gif.
>>
>>2058680
That's the one, cheers anon
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 639x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 639x1136
This is Kevin.
>>
>>2058815
Hi Kevin
>>
File: gintoki.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gintoki.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>>2056454
How and why do you have a macaw?
>>
>>2056454
definitely a plucker, he might have plucked so much the feathers may never grow back.
>>
my bird has something yellow in her nostril, this is new, noticed it today, she's acting notmal but sneezing a bit

i will be taking her to the vet, but any idea what it could be?
>>
What is it like caring for a pair of button quail indoors? What's their smell level, can they be raised as chicks to tolerate handling? What's a good bedding for them?
>>
>>2060331

nevermind it was a piece of a toy she destroyed, going to take her for the check up anyway since i made the appointment already and she's due for one
>>
I got two ferrets that need four hours attention a day,
I kinda want a caiqe because they're fucking funny, but how many hours do they need of attention a day?
If it's like over 2 then what's a better bird that's also got a personality and is goofy?
>>
File: 12.jpg (31 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
31 KB, 604x403
>>2060596
I have a caique. They're really funny little birds but I'd say they need a lot of attention for their size, because of how hyper they are.

I think you should spend as much time as you can with them, but maybe the minimum would be three hours out of cage per day. They do pretty well if they have a big variety of destructible toys.

Lorikeets are also pretty goofy, but they need specialised food and the time requirement's probably similar.
>>
>>2060596

any bird you get is going to need more than two hours of attention and out of the cage time to thrive, pyrrhura conures have a lot of personality and are affectionate but they need a minimum of four hours and in my experience that seems like too little
>>
>>2060596
get two, they wont like you AS much and be as personal with you but at least 2 hours of attention a day is enough.

on the other hand i woudln't put a birb along a ferret....
>>
File: 1.jpg (57 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
57 KB, 704x480
>>2045339
No it doesn't.

Fuck off.
>>
File: DNG_42 - Copy.jpg (495 KB, 920x614) Image search: [Google]
DNG_42 - Copy.jpg
495 KB, 920x614
>>2039068
What is this? It was pretty far away so sorry for the image quality
>>
File: 1449791387123.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1449791387123.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
>>
>>2063494
A falcon.
>>
My cockatiel hates water but really enjoys my blowdrier I've discovered. I set it to medium heat and maximum thrust while keeping it a safe distance from him.

He fluffs up into something like three times his usual size and almost rolls around stretching his wings out while trying to preen himself at the same time
>>
>>2052686
More than likely your bird has an aversion to moist food. All the foods you've mentioned are all moist foods. My cockatiel is similar. I've had him for two years now and he's still timid trying wet food. He won't come close to juices or mushy things like yogurt.

I found padding the fruit and veggies down with a paper towel to remove some of that moisture works fairly well. My conure loves wet food, and the tiel will usually try whatever the conure is going nuts over. That also helped.
>>
>>2045752
Cockatoos are assholes and you don't want one. Trust me. I have a Goffin and I fucking hate him.
>>
>>2056516
My cockatiel smells exactly like old books. It's very faint though.
>>
About how long would it take for some conure birbs to figure out that 3 birb sized buttons will next, play/pause, prev their music and ambiance?
Birb fights over music dictatorship y/n?
>>
Does anyone have finches?!

>>2064867
>>
>>2048018

>starling

into the garbage disposal it goes
>>
File: 20160221_213100.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160221_213100.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
I got Bebop a new cage and friend. His name is ODB. Have had him for a week. Also looking into Diamond Doves.
>>
>>2056516
my lovebird has a smell if you smell it really close but i cant describe it other than "bird smell". you know how chickens smell? its a bit... similar, but very faint and sweeter.
>>
So /birb/ my gf and I are going in on a birb together. We are looking at either a blue-headed pionus or a congo African Grey.
The BHP will be $850 cheaper, not as vocal and more affectionate
The CAG will be smarter, harder to take care of and (probably) more entertaining.

Which one?

More info: I'll be the primary caretaker for the first few years since I'll be in school and will have the time to give to the birb while the gf works. We want a bird that's highly intelligent, moderately affectionate and above average in terms of playfulness. Only thing I don't want is constant, loud, high pitched noise. Even that I can get used to. Mimicry and talking is also desired but not that big of a deal. My main questions are:
Are CAG just walking tape recorders or is there more to them?
Are BHP boring?
How playful are either species?
>>
>>2051479
A T-Rex!? I fucking hope I never meet one!
But honestly, I own an Umbrella Cockatoo, and when she's mad I call her a dinosaur, when she's silly I call her a chicken. Makes me kinda wish I could have something inbetween, like a flightless, scaled, beaked, cuddly raptor. Essentially an irl Yoshi.
>>
>>2068431
No please do not
>>
>>2068114

did you take bebop to the vet yet?
>>
>>2068431
CAGs are extremely sensitive, and very prone to plucking. They need a lot of attention.
CAG owners correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think they're "playful" in the way caiques or lorikeets are.
They need a stable, peaceful environment and a huge amount of enrichment to keep them occupied.
Some CAGs never even talk.

People say that they want a highly intelligent bird without thinking about the shitloads of time and money (destructible toys, parts, treats, foraging toys, puzzle toys, play stands around the house etc), you have to spend keeping them occupied and happy.

I don't know enough about BHPs to comment.

I don't mean to shit on you anon, but have you joined any bird forums to see what owners are saying? It sounds like you need to research a little more. I read a story in which someone's CAG started plucking just because she left something unfamiliar on a table where he could see it from his cage.
Pionus parrots and African Greys are very different birds.
>>
>>2068431

african greys need a lot of time, money, and stimulation (and have a tendency to be one person birds) and pionus parrots aren't particularly affectionate past a certain age (i looked into getting one before i got my green cheek conure, and everything i read made it clear the pionus aren't exactly really cuddly, playful, or friendly... they also have an issue with tending to be one person birds... i chose a greencheek cuz of the low noise level, they're extremely affectionate, intelligent without being so intelligent they can't be pets at all, extremely playful, and not prone to being one person birds when socialized etc) neither bird is a good choice for you and your gf... especially if you're planning on sharing the bird...

do more research and read what owners say (especially the negatives), watch videos etc and decide what's right for both of you from there...
>>
>>2069505
>>2069520
Thanks for the feedback doodz. I've been looking into it quite a bit and outted the CAG pretty quickly. I know I could handle the bird personally, I have plenty of money, time and care to give but it's just not what I'd want in a pet considering how neurotic they can be.

The BHP would likely do well with us but I just can't see what they have over something like a senegal. The breeder we were looking at has senegals, BHP and a CAG right now. My GF is really liking the idea of the BHP but I'm pretty sure it's the best option.

And funnily enough, considering what
>>2069520
Said, I've been looking into green cheeks the passed few days and can say with a fair amount of certainty that they're the best fit for my gf and I. Literally everything I was looking for in my original post pointed towards the Green Cheek. People seem to love these little guys and I can see why.

What's your guys' opinion on caiques, senegals or Green Cheeks?
Im really liking the idea of the Green Cheek right now but the breeder we've been talking to doesn't have any on hand, not that they're uncommon or she can't get one from a reputable business contact, she's just super well regarded in my area.
>>
>>2069400
U cant make me :^)
>>
>>2065255

Linnies are adorable as fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 640x790) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 640x790
>>2069622

my green cheek is exactly what i wanted in a pet, she's really affectionate, playful, and she does make noise, but for the most part she is quiet (for a bird... all birds like to make noise, most of hers is low chattering, purring, talking, clucking etc but every so often she does make louder higher pitched noises... but nothing worse than having a dog, better imo), she's also friendly towards strangers and not at all shy...

she does need a lot of attention, and i have two budgies who she plays and flies with so she isn't just on top of me or my s/o all the time + she does spend time entertaining herself, but she's rarely in the cage... she's also good about going outside for walks and shit, and i've been able to take her a lot of places without any issues

but she's stubborn as fuck and occasionally nippy, she also went through a bad nippy phase (which i read about and accepted would happen) when she was younger (she got over it though and knows what "be nice" and "no" mean now) she's trainable when she feels like paying attention (she knows "step up," "shake," and "come here" so far we're working on playing dead) so she's intelligent, but if she doesn't feel like doing something she won't...

birds are also messy, i clean my walls and floor often (at least twice a day for the floor) and you have to in addition to the cages... so that's something to keep in mind if you want one... it's a lot of cleaning

they need a lot of stimulation too, and toys and things need to be kept interesting or they get bored and destructive...

in all honesty, i have a one year old niece and watching her is about the same as dealing with a bird

she's cool though... my s/o actually didn't want her initially but now he loves her and tells everyone she's his "perfect angel" so they're really endearing...she'll do things like jump into bed in the morning to cuddle, eat meals with us, plays with us, sits on our shoulders etc
>>
File: IMG_20160224_171305.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160224_171305.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
It's been more than a month since her mate died
She doesn't seem sad anymore which is good
>>
>>2039068
I love those little bastards, they are so fucking tiny and cute holy heck
>>
>>2069755
Buy a big crow to rail her out every night
>>
>>2069820
u-umm
>>
>>2056516

I cant smell my cockatiel at all, my mother says she can smell him really strong, a sort of musty scent.
The only time I have ever smelt him was when he fucked his wank thing about a million times in one day and it stank like cum and piss.
>>
i dont know if this is the place for it but i didnt wanna make a whole new thread about it. ive got a male cockatiel, ive had him for a bit, got him from a neighbor that didnt want him anymore. he had a girl cagemate but she died a year or two ago. recently he started humping his food bowl? hes never done this before and i dont know how to get him to stop. ive tried making it dark longer and moved literally every item in the cage to make it feel less like something hed want to mate in and nothings working. what the hell can i do its so uncomfortable watching him rut up against the bowl and making little chirps
>>
>>2069993
hes sexually frustrated. it probs wont change unless you get him a mate.
>>
>>2069993
dude he's fucking jerking off

let him jerk off

how would you react if some dude walked up to you and told you "hey, stop jerking off, you're making me uncomfortable"

don't worry it'll pass at some point.
>>
>>2069993
as long as he's not spending every waking moment jerking it he'll be fine

if he does it too much and too often it can cause problems with his vent though
>>
File: 619Tof-eYmL._SL1600_.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
619Tof-eYmL._SL1600_.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
I got this huge small animal cage. Could it work for a green cheek conure? I would get perches, toys, etc. If not, I'll sell it and get a normal bird cage.
>>
>>2072495
Parrots love to climb to vertical cages are better for them.
You also want to make sure the bar spacing isn't too far apart so they can't get their head caught in the gaps.
>>
Do birds make a lot of noise? I was thinking about getting a male Cockatiel, do you guys find bird noises frustrating or annoying?
>>
>>2072501
Length is better than width. Theyre not fucking helicopters to fly straight up
>>
The past few days, my budgies have been really fighting.

At first I thought they were gonna bang, but I woke up this morning and noticed my female has had feathers from around her eye pulled out. Most of the time, they get along really well, so I'm worried about separating them in case it makes things worse.

I'm thinking of getting a bigger cage, so they can stay away from each other when they feel like it, but idk.

What should I do?
>>
birds are gay
>>
>>2072522
Yes, birds make a lot of noise. It just depends on the person, I have a macaw and I am used to tuning out when she wants to squawk at things outside. However if the bird is properly taken care of, it won't scream its head off at all hours of the day. Unhappy birds scream, happy birds 'recreationally squawk'.
>>
>>2072576
The fact of the matter is, that is not a bird cage, that is a mammal cage.
>>
Are any of you employed and have got budgies? I alaways get home in the evening and I am afraid they will feel lonely without some interaction (it is a pair).

I am trying everything to get my room budgie safe so that they can fly without me the whole day, but it will probably take at least a few months.
>>
>>2072627
If you provide ample amount of enrichment opportunities in their cage while you are gone, they should be fine until you get home.

Please do not leave your birds loose in a room unattended. No amount of bird-proofing will prevent your bird from flying into a wall and breaking its neck.
>>
File: received_816880895122108.jpg (187 KB, 1845x1080) Image search: [Google]
received_816880895122108.jpg
187 KB, 1845x1080
>tfw both have problems

Skittles (in the foreground) stress pulls his feathers when caged, and is a total guts. The behaviorist told us to reduce his food, but that would mean T (in the background) would probably go hungry and Skittles would eat for two anyway. She also recommended getting him to burn more energy, which is impossible because he's been raised as a shoulder bird and won't train or even fly.

T, who I've lived with since his infancy, but who I've just recently become the primary carer of, has dark tipped, frayed feathers that developed about a year ago. We've changed his diet (and cured his tail pulling so I'm not fucking everything up) as per behaviorist and vet recommendations but it's not helping. He had a lovely coat for a while as he was growing up but now I'm struggling to help him recover from whatever his problem is. It's not a disease, we got him checked at the vet a few months back, and it hasn't spread to Skittles after that.

To top it all off, they're polar opposites in personality and needs - T loves attention, play, training, flying, and is overall full of energy.
Skittles is quiet, anxious, greedy in regards to human food, won't fly or train (unless it's for food that's bad for him - he won't do it for fruit puree) and despite what his original owner told us, he dislikes other birds to the point that he'll spoil T's fun (won't let him bathe, will chase him off people if they're playing)

>cont...
>>
File: Snapchat-4501664476704824420.jpg (582 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4501664476704824420.jpg
582 KB, 1080x1920
>>2072694
>pic saved from snapchat ages ago

Still can't really see it but his feathers are frayed. It's worse on his wings, I'll see if I can scrounge something else up.

Anyway,
>cont.
They both definitely get enough time out of their cage and are stimulated (they have toys, a box of random stuff to play with, bottle caps and toy balls to throw around, and two people who actively pay with them for hours a day), the cage itself is fucking huge (110x110x180 if memory serves, with a mix of toys, panes, branches and living foliage replaced weekly), and their diets are very controlled and balanced. Skittles gets his favorite foods put into a baffle cage so he has to work for treats (T won't forage; maybe he's too young or doesn't grasp what I'm showing them) and their food and water bowls are swapped daily.

What am I doing wrong?

Eats me up not being able to fix them up straight away, and work and uni are about to fuck over the time I spend with them too... Feels bad man.

>>2043487
>tfw think about my feathered mates dying and nearly cry
>>
File: received_244722015859393.jpg (219 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
received_244722015859393.jpg
219 KB, 1152x2048
>>2072696
T at the top, look at his wings
>>
>>2069498
Yeah, she said there seemed to be nothing wrong with Bebop.
>>
>>2069755
She's very cute!!!
>>
File: image.jpg (765 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
765 KB, 3264x2448
I believe this thing make a nest on my roof.
This past week I been hearing constant mewing so I thought some stay cat probably make their hideout somewhere in my yard, but then I saw this thing two day in a row I exact same spot so I realized it wasn't a cat.
What should I do with it?
Can I feed it?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2072826
Another pic
>>
>>2072696
Get one of them a different cage, so you can control the food bowls, and outfit it with all his birdy needs. That will be his new home. It may also help with the stress plucking. It does not sound like they are the best of friends so their constant being around each other may be taxing.

Birds are similar to children in that they will adamantly refuse to do things they don't want to the point of becoming pouty. Maybe there is some obscure bird-safe treat that Skittles will go absolutely nuts for (my bird hated everything and anything until I presented her with a raisin), you just need to find that golden apple.

One method of training I have heard with resistant birds is to reduce their food (which it seems you need to do anyway in regards to Skittles) and control when they get fed, rather than have a bowl of pellets out at all times. That way, you can begin training and tempting a peckish Skittles with treats.
>>
File: 20160301_110117.jpg (375 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160301_110117.jpg
375 KB, 1920x1080
>>2072831
Thanks for the reply - they're slowly growing closer, Skittles is still a dick occasionally but his comfort zone with T is diminishing. I do have a spare cage but it's a fraction the size and I really don't want another huge thing in the room (pic related, I know it's excessive but they were both problem birds and I hoped it would help), regardless I'll start separating them and see how it goes.

Believe it or not both of them absolutely love my housemate's vegan ice creams, but I'm really reluctant to use them for regular treats because 1. They're ridiculously expensive and 2. I'm not really sure how good they are for them - there's a lot of sugar in them, but no 'definitely no' stuff like caffeine, dairy and whatnot (sugar obviously means more energy, which we don't want). I'll keep throwing safe foods at the wall and see how I go.

Anyway, thanks again, I really didn't want to separate them but it will help with a few things - diet, cover up time (which Skittles hates but T needs so he doesn't spend the next few days aggro) and potentially both their anxiety levels if they have that while in the same cage
>>
>>2052696
That pic is gonna give me nightmares.
>>
File: 7463.jpg (9 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
7463.jpg
9 KB, 170x170
>>2072633
I already got curtains for all of that and they had their first flight two days ago but they still flew into the walls sometimes.

I feel so helpless looking at them struggling to fly properly. They are not overweight but don't have much flight experience I assume (both 3 years old, got them from a shelter).

How can I prevent them from breaking their neck even if I am with them?
>>
>>2073177
What do you mean by you got curtains? You strung up curtains over all the walls? How are you flying them? Do you encourage them from a distance or just toss them in the air and hope for the best?
>>
>>2073990
I got curtains for all windows.

I waited for them to get out of the cage on their own and put Chinese millet on one of their perches outside of the cage. They ate a bit and just started flying around in my room.

I also got them perches for the ceiling, but they generally had great problems to orientate themselves.
>>
File: Eggs.jpg (486 KB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
Eggs.jpg
486 KB, 4128x2322
Hey /an/, I have 2 cockatiels that I wanna breed because I have the time and the space to spare and I honestly love these little fucks. I set up a nest for them and they started mating and laying eggs pretty quickly but none of them has hatched in months even though they (the eggs) look healthy and fertile.
Does anyone have any idea why they're not hatching?
>>
>>2074050
To get Skittles to start fly I was doing point to point training (ie calling him over) and eventually just added enough distance that he had to flap a bit to get there.

He now flies across the room (although only under hilariously mis-perceived duress) and uses his wings for extra air, to slow falls, and other basic climbing stuff.

I'm happy that he can do it but if he's not enjoying it then I'm not gonna make him do it anymore.

Anyway, >>2072831
I've just separated him now. He's quiet, calm, and not pulling feathers. Oddly enough they're staying close to each other through the cages, pic related.

I've weighed his food and I'll try cutting that down too if the plucking continues but hopefully just the cage swap will make a notable improvement.

It's surprisingly quiet not having him flap from the plucking every few seconds.
>>
File: 2016-03-03 17.00.02.jpg (378 KB, 959x539) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-03 17.00.02.jpg
378 KB, 959x539
>>2074586
Worlds worst photo coming through
>>
File: that_s_a_spicy_meatball.jpg (49 KB, 400x431) Image search: [Google]
that_s_a_spicy_meatball.jpg
49 KB, 400x431
Can birds ever recover from having their wings clipped?
>>
>>2058680
>Cockatoo
Every time. They truly are the psychos of the bird world.
>>
File: 3.jpg (89 KB, 1217x908) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
89 KB, 1217x908
Obligatory Brucie the Parrot posting.
>>
>>2074701
Yep, provided you mean a normal clipping. Skittles is 5 and just started flying a few weeks back, though it's obviously not his comfortable state yet.
>>
>>2045314
Caiques are my favorite, I'd love to eventually have one.

For now It's just two budgie boys until I move out of my apartment.
>>
>>2074701
give it 5 month and it's all over.
>>
>>2074718
he look bretty relaxed
>>
>>2074064
if it's past the regular hatch time of their species by more than a week they probably fucked up at keeping the heat constant, give it another chance.

a lot of birds fail their first time, no worries
>>
>>2074701
Yes, easily so long as it's done properly. My budgies and tiel came clipped and can fly around quite happily. Well, the tiel's a lazy fuck and only flies when forced but still. My green cheek sadly got a bad clip from a travelling avian vet and some of his flight feathers seem to be gone for good so he'll likely never fully fly again.
>>
File: 22.jpg (101 KB, 1212x916) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
101 KB, 1212x916
>>2074810
He's easy going You don't look so bad yourself cutie.
>>
One last question then I'll leave you alone /an/

What's the concensus regarding giving birds branches that are near a high traffic density? I'm literally next to a freeway and there are some nice bottle brush plants around, but I'm not sure if they'll have toxins on them due to their location.

I've avoided it so far because both my housemate and I are unsure of whether it's safe or not and can't find any evidence one way or another
>>
>>2066103
yes, cockatoos are assholes. i lost the tip of my finger to one because he wanted to chew it. plus he killed his mate years ago, so he's pretty fucked in the head. he's at the local zoo. being cooped up in that cage for over ten years has done that to him.
>>
>>2069993
get him a soft fluffy toy, he will hump it and also use it to snuggle, like my peachface does. peepee has two "dollies", actually.
>>
>>2072591
get a similar cage for one of the birds, and place them next to each other so they can see and talk, but can't chew the other to bits.
>>
>>2072697
i would dare to say that maybe skittles did that damage to T's wing feathers, or he did it himself. I've heard of birds plucking their mates, if they have plucked themselves. Apparently 1 in 10 pet parrots pick or pluck, so it's quite common.
>>
>>2075074
it's like if a lovebird had a baby with and African grey.
>>
File: birb1.jpg (78 KB, 684x915) Image search: [Google]
birb1.jpg
78 KB, 684x915
>>2075911
3 years later I'm quite pleased with the Senegal purchase. He was a bit of a runt, but he's got a ton of personality.
>>
File: 4.jpg (29 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
29 KB, 604x403
>>2069622
I have a black headed caique. They get into everything, and they have big beaks and feet for their size so they're pretty acrobatic too.

They're generally pretty bad talkers. They can be ear-splittingly loud if they're bored. They purr when they're eating something tasty, it's cute.

They are very energetic and funny to watch, however they can turn from happy to FURIOUS in an instant and you have to really learn their body language. They can be pretty affectionate, and they are very beaky. If they get overstimulated you might get a nasty bite, but it's easy to train them to chill out if you notice it coming. They are smart, and very easy to trick train.

They have a very strong chewing instinct; I often have to get Amazon-sized toys for mine.

She can be an absolute little shit sometimes but she's wonderful. Pic related, from when she was a babby.
>>
>>2072495
Definitely make sure of the maximum safe bar spacing for the bird.
Also make sure the bars aren't coated with something toxic, the bird'll be climbing around on the bars and might give them a bit of a chew.
>>
>>2072826

I wish one of these guys would start to live near me, we've been having some big rats come around lately.

Wonder if building some owl house would help.
>>
File: 1450001661696.gif (952 KB, 230x181) Image search: [Google]
1450001661696.gif
952 KB, 230x181
Last year I was just making some breakfast one morning here in Australia and, I kid you not, I heard some bird outside humming the notes for the main part of Waltzing Matilda. It did it two times but I never saw the bird itself. I was amazed, too bad I never saw nor heard that bird again.
>>
I have a cockatiel that I adopted for the first time
I love her with all my heart but
>screeches very loudly whenever I dial the phone, or do anything with it
Don't know what to do, how do I train her to not screech?
>>
>>2078435
You can't.

Thats the deal with parrots.

It's not like a dog who get exited and bark, a parrot will screech whatever the fuck you tell him.

Just make sure it isn't anxious and you spend enough time with it and it shouldn't yell too much, but yelling with birds is a fatality.
>>
Hi guys, i was researching lovebirds before getting one, do you recommend any books or webs?
>>
STEP ASIDE FOR BEST BIRD!
>>
File: Keel-Billed-Toucan-Desktop.jpg (485 KB, 2066x1500) Image search: [Google]
Keel-Billed-Toucan-Desktop.jpg
485 KB, 2066x1500
>>2079133
Whoops forgot pic...
>>
>>2065255
What kind of parrot is that?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 94

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.