[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Humans vanished out of thin air and everything they left behind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: straydog.jpg (71 KB, 992x558) Image search: [Google]
straydog.jpg
71 KB, 992x558
Humans vanished out of thin air and everything they left behind untouched. Your pet(s) have found a way outside. How long do they last, /an/?
>>
My cats are fine because hey, they're plain old pound cats. One or two of my goldfish might make it if they got into a dam or river. 99% or my tropical fosh would be fucked. Chickens might make it a month or so but would probably get picked off by foxes in the end.
My sheep would last until dogs got them or their wool grew too thick. Flystrike would get them in that case.

My dog, sadly, would either starve or attack a snake and die. I'd hope for snake so its fast.
>>
My girlfriends dogs and cats would all be slaughtered by coyote's
All but her mothers orange cat Morris that is frighteningly rabid for a medium sized cat
>>
The rabbit's a goner. He's big, clumsy, and ain't scare of no thing.

The kitten would be absolutely fine, she was born outside and lived her first 9 weeks outside. The adult cat is disabled, but can still climb and run. She might have some trouble hunting.
>>
All my current pets are wild caught caterpillars so they would probably do pretty well.
>>
Cats would be fine if they stay away from dogs. My dogs are pure breeds but medium sized they should be alright.
Its the big dogs and little dogs that are fucked.
Chickens would be eaten most likely and my donkey should be ok.

If my cats found their way to a town or city they would be golden, I watched a documentary about what would happen if humans upped and disappeared.City cats seemed better off without.
>>
My cat startles at the tiniest sound and probably wouldn't last long. She has abandonment issues and would probably just walk around looking for me and crying. I'm sad now.
>>
My dogs a fucking coward, so taking into effect she wouldn't mess with much on her own, probably a good 5 or 6 years before stress and shit diet got her. Possibly even infection.
>>
My cat is a trooper she would easily become top feline predator and take over the block, she has no chill and her hunting skills are exquisite. Two budgies would be picked off by native bird I'm matter of hours. Tropical fish all dead:(
>>
My dog's pretty small, she weighs less than 20 pounds, so if anything were to try to take her out, she'd be done for. But she's pretty smart about not messing with animals larger than her, and would probably put up a fight if it came to it. She just wouldn't win unless whatever was after her is a huge pussy.
>>
>>2036650
>my deaf white cat
dead
>my clingy tiny cat
either dead or a sleeper killing machine i'm not sure
>shit ass 100% food driven people apathetic beagle
would last about a day and then would die to impaction
>>
my cat would be fine, she used to be feral so I don't doubt she'd make it for at least a while. my young dog would likely be pretty okay since he's big, strong, with a high prey drive

my poor old blind arthritic dog though? doubt he'd last long
>>
My fish would die. Rabbit will die. Cat will die. Pet Asian boy might make it.
>>
>Fish promptly die
>Super friendly rats attempt to make friends with the nearest large predator

I don't think it would go well.
>>
>>2036650
Rats might do alright, especially the pregnant female. She's nasty as fuck and would probably survive and pass on her shit genes. Hamster would die, mice would live.
Chickens would do alright for quite a while, if not permanently. there's chickens everywhere here, so they'd probably have strength in numbers at the very least. The banty hens are small, fast, and skittish which would help.
The horse I'm not sure about, but I don't think so. There's at least thirty other horses in the immediate area.
I'm sure the turtle would do fine if he could find water. All the fish would die, though.
Dog would definitely die. She isn't smart.
Two of my cats would do alright, one of them wouldn't. He's too dumb and squishy to survive.
>>
>>2036828
Oh god that made me laugh because my rats are the same. At least our rats could be buddies before they say hello to the gaping maw of a predator.
>>
File: bcjs30069_banner[1].png (487 KB, 860x276) Image search: [Google]
bcjs30069_banner[1].png
487 KB, 860x276
Sounds like the PS3/PSN game Tokyo Jungle.

The rats would do just fine, they're smart hardy little guys.
>>
>>2036740

Nope.

Little dogs are incredible at eating rats/birds and don't require tons of food.

If anything, big dogs are fucked + all the retarded breeds are gone.
>>
>>2036650
I'm in the UK and they're all reptiles, so not very long.
>>
>>2036650
I have a purebred chinese shar-pei. She is a fucking beast, she'll survive just fine by devouring all of the local lap mongrels and cats. And then once they're gone she'll move on to the coyotes and rabbits.
>>
>>2036650
My apartment doesn't allow pets ;_;
>>
File: 1450938706021.jpg (683 KB, 1133x1556) Image search: [Google]
1450938706021.jpg
683 KB, 1133x1556
>walk out the front door
>eat rubber off of car tires
>die almost immediately
>>
>>2036650
My cats would get eaten quickly or starve since none can hunt for shit.

My older dog has a chance to live out the rest of his lifespan, but I don't know if the younger one could. I'd hope she'd be able to find a pack of dogs or something
>>
Most of it would get too cold and die eventually, or dry up.
The snapping turtle would likely be fine, and maybe the russian tortoise would be ok too. Newts would be potentially okay if they somehow found water.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_People
>>
File: IMG_0591.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0591.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2304
>Wiener dog
She's muscly, but has a bit of separation anxiety and would just be looking for me. She's overweight due to the crazy amount of muscle she has, so I don't think she'd be able to hunt anything in my area.
>Shiba puppy
She's a rebellious teenager right now, but she's all bark no bite. Would probably be unable to join a pack but she should be able to hunt if she saw another dog do it. She's just about 5 months old and can run about 1 1/2x faster than me already.
>>
Dog would die pretty quickly. He is a mix of 2 working breeds but is so useless. He has really bad separation anxiety so he would be too busy looking for my husband and I and doing his stupid gallop/scoot run he does with his long front legs and short back legs to fend for himself.

The cat I'm not too sure. He is massive: 20lbs of muscle but is too scared to be outside on the porch without supervision. He is a mighty hunter though. Once ran out while the door was closing, grabbed a lizard, and ran back in before the door closed. We also had to get a bigger dog because he will straight up attack, kill, and eat anything that moves that is smaller than him. The only exception is other cats. He ended up in the ER 3 times before we got him because he will just lay there and let other cats attack him. He will kill a bigger dog for looking at him wrong but would let another cat kill him without fighting back.
>>
Cat is a good hunter, but she's getting up there in years and has most of her nose torn away causing her to go into sneezing fits when hit by dust, cold, etc. She can still catch sparrows/mice out in the yard and orchards for fun whenever she feels like it, but she also expects to be fed at 5:00 sharp every afternoon. Biggest worry is her getting near the pack of German shepherds down the road.

There's a neighbor further down the road that has several buffalo in a field, and I'm laughing imagining them wandering around the countryside and trying to fuck cows.
>>
>cornsnake
I think he'd do pretty well here in the south. Plenty of vermin. Only real threats are predatory birds, other snakes, and escaped domesticated cats/dogs.
>>
GSD can fend for itself decently.
Goldfish dies.
Iguana could thrive or get killed off by winter.
>>
File: cujo.jpg (36 KB, 321x236) Image search: [Google]
cujo.jpg
36 KB, 321x236
>9 months old
>no agression
>cant stay more than 20 meters away from owner
>if owner not in sight starts to run nervously in all direction to find him
Will probably just whimper until some other dog eats him.
>>
>>2036913
Little dogs make great meals for bigger dogs though.
Medium sized dogs will survive and become more feral and wolf like.
>>
>>2037809
>My cats would get eaten quickly or starve since none can hunt for shit.
Cats are great natural hunters and have survival skills even if kept indoors all their lives. Still there is a good chance they will die due to size
>>
My cats would probably be fine, since there's no cars or crazy people or anything, and the area I live in doesn't really have any predators.
>>
Assuming make it outside means magically dumped in water, fish are going to be fine. My cats are afraid of the wind, literally, and don't like grass, but have proven to be quite capable of killing geckos. So if they get over the existence of wind and grass they survive. Otherwise those fluff butts are sitting outside the door in terror.
>>
My cat was a stray before I took her in, and once fought off a raccoon three times her size, without getting hurt herself.

I like to think she'd be just fine unless something bigger came along.
>>
My dog would probably join a pack of strays, shes timid and clingy to me but ive seen her and she still has some of that feral dog in her. It shows sometimes, with humans out of the way she would rise in rank. Shes very smart, I dont doubt she could survive.
>>
>>2036650
I hope my kameleon will make it but realistically hell freeze to dead
>>
My pupper is fucked. One time she found a way out of the back yard and immediately ran around to the front door and sat there until I let her in.
>>
my bigger dog would probably die from food poisoning or something cause i did catch him eating birds and hedgehogs before.
The little one may be fine if she can manage to hide from bigger animals and just eat mice and shit, since there seems to be alot of them around here
>>
My betta and dwarf frogs are tropical and it's 20 degrees out, so I can't imagine that ending all that well.

My dog used to be a stray and he's getting a little older, but he's a healthy mutt and I think he'd do okay.

My little dog is senile as hell and hardly eats. I'd give him maybe a week.

One of my cats would probably die of exposure because she's old and frail. Or starve because she's missing a shit ton of teeth and only eats mush.

My other cat could probably last a year on her fat alone. She'd be alright.
>>
>>2036650
It's 6 degrees Fahrenheit here. My reptiles are dead.
>>
>>2036650
My cat would probably die. She's overweight and getting pretty old and our area has a lot of predators.
>>
My 3 snakes would be fucked, winter would kill them. My dog would be fine, husky so cold doesn't bother him and crazy prey drive. My cat is old and a little chubby an would probably die shortly, and my bearded dragon the same fate as my snakes.
>>
My older dog dies. He's on absolutely necessary daily medication. Without it, he cannot digest food at all, so he starves to death, even if he finds food.

My other dog survives. He is medium-sized. He is agile. He is built for hunting and outdoor survival. He will fight for resources if necessary. He is not fussy about what he eats, and he will do well as both a scavenger and an active hunter.

Both of my cats are in/out already. One of my cats is old. The other is middle-aged and reasonably spry, but he picks fights. The older cat probably dies. The younger cat might do tolerably until he gets an abscess that goes untreated. Then he dies of infection.

I would have the highest hopes for the younger dog, because his only real dangers are going to be other dogs and eating something he shouldn't.
>>
If dogs stick together in packs and scavenge they will be fine.
>>
>>2041013
My cats are outside already and both act as much as pets as they do for pest control around the farm so they'll probably be fine for awhile, and being females, are much less likely to get in fights and be infected by diseased strays. My dog however, is at least half blind/deaf, has had at least a couple strokes and is well over 14 years old, so that's not ending well.
>>
>>2041013
>>2041045
Oops, didn't mean to reply to you
>>
All of them live forever, shut up.
>>
None of my guinea pigs and rats would survive for long, all of them are albino so they are a really easy prey for any cat or dog
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.