[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been told guinea pigs need companionship. Now I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: peeg.jpg (331 KB, 1657x1438) Image search: [Google]
peeg.jpg
331 KB, 1657x1438
I've been told guinea pigs need companionship.

Now I have a solitary male. He was the only boy out of the batch when a friend's pig got preggers, and she tried to get him a couple male playmates but he rather violently attacked both. Those two get along, but he didn't want to be around anyone - no females, no males.

I took him in a little under a year ago, and I keep him with me pretty much all the time. He's either on my desk or in his cage near my desk whenever I'm home, and has a secondary enclosure that's a bit more roomy for when I'm asleep or away so he has room to roam and can see I'm still there at night. He licks my hand a lot and rubs his nose against me pretty much any time I pet or cuddle him.

However, everything I've read about guineas pigs indicates the main vocalization he uses is a form of whining or complaining. It's not the wheeking (which he does when I bring in food), but he makes these quiet little sounds whenever he's just hanging out or trying to get in my shirt or whatever that people keep telling me are complaints, but if I set him down to play with something or to chill on his own he runs back up and tries to be close to me.

Is this normal? Pig related.
>>
>>2033871
I have no experience with GPs but i can assure judging by his behavior to other GPs and you, he shouldn't need a partner, since you are his partner.
>>
>>2033871
In rare cases there are guinea pigs that should not have a cage mate. I would still suggest getting another guinea pig and having that one live next to him in a separate cage. Also how did you introduce him to the other pigs? If you put them in his cage that might be why he attacked them. Guinea Pigs need to be introduced to each other on neutral territory.
>>
>>2033902
I don't really remember how my friend did it when he lived with her. I got him some stuffed animals that he cuddles with and stuffs into his hutch for me to have to clean later, but the few times he's seen another live pig since then (such as when she had me sit her pigs for a week) he's been growling and teeth chattering from sight onwards.

I think he might be a little psychopath or something, but if he's chill with me I guess it's okay.
>>
>>2033904
I'm sure he's not a psychopath lol. He may be a loner but again he would probably benefit from having another piggy nearby. Look up guinea pig introduction guides for more specific information. I had two pigs once that would fight to the point of drawing blood but enjoyed living next to each other. My one pig was very sad when his friend in the next cage over passed away. He was very very quite for weeks, he didn't even beg for food much.
>>
>>2033871
Hey OP, it sounds like
>>2033877
Is right.

The little dude sees you as the friend. Anyone else is competition for your attention.
>>
>>2033871
You are his companion :3

He gets mad at others like when you are a baby and get a brother/sister jealousy.
>>
>>2033871
This thread is so cute, your guinea pig is SO cute!
>>2034161
I am very much entertaining this thought
>>
>>2033871
>he makes these quiet little sounds whenever he's just hanging out or trying to get in my shirt or whatever that people keep telling me are complaints
Ignore them. Pigs make those sounds more or less constantly when they're content.
>>
>>2033877
>>2033915
Complete bullshit. Guinea pigs have a strong social behaviour among each other. A human can't substitute for that.

The same goes for bunnies.
>>
I saw a lone piggy in the petstore, it wasn't quite as skittish as the bundle they had in another area. When I stroked his back, he made that vibrating purr noise, and I thought I was pissing him off or something. Read up that it enjoyed being petted apparently. Are Guinea pigs usually that happy with affection even with people they're unfamiliary with? I've noticed that most of the rabbits in the area show very little sign of enjoying anything.
>>
>>2033871

I think what your guinea pig is saying is that it wants to be your friend anon.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.