[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
raven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: rvn-raven-no-shield-2.jpg (21 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
rvn-raven-no-shield-2.jpg
21 KB, 600x400
how dumb of an idea is it to try taming a raven?
>>
8/10 depending on where and how you live.
>>
Some people sell domesticatedish ones I guess. You would need a huge aviary and lots of ways to keep it entertained so it doesn't get bored out of its mind. They're also pretty loud
>>
>>2031855
i live in switzerland. i know a place very near where a lot of ravens live.
i have an apartment, but i wouldn't want to lock him in or something. i live near enought that place that he would find home easily. i just want to find one that comes to me freely when he feels like it...
>>
>>2031856
>Some people sell domesticatedish ones I gues
domestic ravens don't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7177SFDjbo

watch this, it'll be your life until you get arrested because it's often illegal to keep them.
>>
>>2031856
it's illegal to seel them here. and i don't want to get a falconers licence. shit's expensive.
my dad had a raven when he was young. it was a young one that fell out of his nest. he took him home and took care of him. i was waiting for something like that to happen to me all my life. but it never did. so now i would like to actively do something to make my dream come true.
>>
>>2031857
>i live in switzerland
it's illegal to keep ravens there.

it's also illegal to feed them or even collect their feathers.
> i just want to find one that comes to me freely when he feels like it...
you mean you have concept of what it's like to keep corvids.
>>
>>2031861
>>2031861
yeah, i'm not a crazy cat lady, sooo

i also don't think about having a raven in a shoebox-apartment like that with 1000 cats. and lock him into aviatory. i have a big blcony facing the woods. i was thinking about making a space for one to go to f he feels like it. i just want to have one in my company. observing him. nothing over the top
>>
>>2031861
Ah well I just remember seeing something about there being crow and raven breeders. Either way they're terrible for pets
>>
>>2031864
i'm aware. and i think it's good the laws are like that. but it always was a dream of mine. they are so fucking fascinating...

no, i have no idea. i forgot about it for a long time, but recently it kept popping up in my mind again and again
>>
>>2031862
it's illegal to even consider getting a raven there unless you have a license.
>>
>>2031869
even trying to befriend one in the wildernes?
>>
>>2031870
Probably not but it's not a great idea to feed wild animals because then they'll saunter up to humans for food. I know it's a bird and not a fox or puma but still.
>>
>>2031870
how would you go about that.

since it's illegal to feed them.
>>
>>2031873
meh, i would just do it until somebody says something. then i would act all innocent and say i didn't know it wasn't allowed
>>
>>2031872
but mooooom
>>
>>2031874
>i would just do it until somebody says something
that would be relatively quick.

ever fed ravens? they swarm like dumpster ducks when you've got food.
>>
>>2031877
no, i never did. cause it's illegal.
but yes, i can imagine.
ah fuck. do i have to stick to observing them from far away?
>>
>>2031878
Don't see why you can't sit down somewhere for a while and have them eventually warm up to you and check you out closer.
>>
>>2031880
I don't know about the ravens there but they fly away as soon as they spot you here, unless you have food.
>>
>>2031880
i guess that's what i'm going to do. maybe i find an injured one day.
thanks /an/ for putting my head straight again
>>
>>2031882
nah, that's my experience too
>>
>>2031883
Best of luck, anon.
>>
>>2031882
Nociception i presume
>>
>>2031887
thanks! if it ever gets more serious i'll come back to you guys!
>>
1. Its stupidly impractical
2. It WILL be detrimental to the bird

No amount of people urging you on or confirmation bias will change these two facts. But its just an animal I guess, do what you want.
>>
>>2031888
Heh
>>
>>2031878
That's illegal too. You're lucky you haven't been arrested yet for talking about them.
>>
>>2032816
contemplating to do it is actually illegal.
>>
>>2032817
>talk about a crime
>get arrested
That doesnt have any sense unless you live in saudi Arabia or some similar shithole

Talking about committing a crime doesnt get you in jail, committing it does
>>
>>2033091
Depends on the crime.
Uttering threats is a crime, when you're only talking about doing something and not actually doing it.
>>
>>2033091
Contemplating the illegality of contemplating a crime is also illegal.
>>
I've been thinking about this too. Lets say I have farmland. Lets say there's a eaven family that nests near my property. If I were to get an egg and have a raven imprint on me, giving it free access to the outside world and my home, would that be a situation that goes well?
>>
>>2033444

Literally happens all the times in Aus with Magpies.People feed them and they start visiting the home every day for food.

We got a rescue call from 2 separate people who said their was an injured magpie, turns out they lived in the same suburb and this fucker would go to one house in the morning for food and then visit the next one in the afternoon.
>>
>>2031861
HE DINDU NUFFIN
>>
>>2033362
Contemplating the absurdity of the illegality of contemplating a crime is double illegal.
>>
>>2033241
But you get charged for threatening, not for the crime you threatened to commit
>>
>>2033091
>Talking about committing a crime doesnt get you in jail
it does get you arrested.
>>
>>2031854
Appreciate the social relationship you can have with a murder of wild crows. Leave a couple scraps of edibles around for them once in a blue moon and they'll keep other scavengers off your land. Eventually they might be more comfortable being closer to you, but don't bet on it. You don't need to enslave an animal that has neither the breeding nor instincts of a companion animal just so you can enjoy the animal itself.

Having a license and sheltering a wounded animal is different from just snagging up a pet. You're likely not prepared for that responsibility given your post.
>>
I used to wonder about this too, OP, but I imagine trying to tame an animal as smart as a raven would be very tricky and might not result in the expected outcome. I used to see a raven every day at my college campus, but my attempts to befriend it over a five month period only got him to swoop over my head a couple times when I had my back turned.
>>
This guy has good videos about owning ravens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izpdLM4VOfY

He seems insane but he really knows his stuff.

You can get ravens from breeders, generally they are ravens from other countries. Domesticating wild ravens in the us is highly illegal
>>
>>2031854
The biggest problem is with corvids, or at least crows and ravens is that their behavior is not as instinctual as say, a kanari.
Most of how they behave is learned from their parents and members of the flock and a human can't possibly give those lessons.
>>
>>2035093
>Domesticating wild ravens in the us is highly illegal
Why?
>>
>>2035093
>Domesticating
The word you're looking for is "taming".

>>2036050
>Why
Why is keeping primates illegal in most of the world? Because it empowers idiots who want to keep "special" pets to make a highly intelligent animal's life miserable.
>>
>>2035093
I've seen that guy before, he definitely has problems.
>>
File: borat.jpg (24 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
borat.jpg
24 KB, 460x288
I live in a great country.
We shot all the crows and bears and wolves till extinction. Then we felt bad because we couldn't shoot them anymore so we tried to bring them back. As soon we release them into wild crazy old women shoot at them when we said not to. Crazy old man continues to shoot and kill them. Visible erection too when shooting them.

Now, seriously. Happens in Spain. Horrible people, the elderly. I think what's more sickening is when we explain to them that the wolves don't attack sheep and the stray dogs to and they go, yeah I know. Then why do you shoot endangered animals? Because I like it and because I can do whatever I fucking want. Hits on the wife and goes drinking.
These persons, do not deserve pity.
>>
>>2036106
>Why is keeping primates illegal in most of the world?

Cause they be dangerous as fuck.
Between being shot in the head and thrown in a cage with a pack of angry chimps.
Shoot me, Shoot me straight in the head, blow my brains out but do not, do not put me in there. Fuck, even Detroit is safer....no wait.
>>
>>2036280
>Cause they be dangerous as fuck
Everything is dangerous as fuck if you're stupid.
>>
I read that crows and ravens can recognize human faces and voices. At my college we have crows that hang around campus, they only arrive relatively early in the day and late in the afternoon.
I've only had one relatively close encounter with one before.
>be walking to the parking lot after long day of class
>up ahead a crow is picking at something
>as I continue walking closer I start to say "hi!", "hello!" What'chya doing there?" In a friendly tone
>crow nopes up into a near by tree and watches me from above.
>I walk up closer to the base of the tree and continue to talk to it. It cocks it's head drone side to side as I speak. Probably wondering why I'm showing interest in it, I'm not sure if any other students pay the crows any attention.

A couple months later on a foggy morning.
>park my car and start making my way towards the building
>I notice a crow perched on top of a lamp in the parking lot, eating away at something
>as I continue walking slowly, look around, parking lot only has a few other cars but not occupied with anyone.
>so I tilt my head up and say good morning
>didn't seem to hear me at first and continued eating. I certainly didn't believe this was the same crow I saw last time but I just wanted to talk to it anyways.
>so then I said "hello!" "Hi!" "What'chya doing?"
>he stops eating
>looks down at me as I say my last couple hellos
>I continue walking and I hear it cawing behind me. Then I hear more than one call
>I reach a sidewalk near a large tree with curly, thick branches.
>I hear a cawing sounding louder so I turn around and another crow is flying towards me and lands on a tree branch above my head
>I stand in one place and call out the "hello" "hi" "what'ya doing?" Once more and the crow caws after each phrase.
>>
>>2036478

Part 2

>I smile and say goodbye and told them I had to go to class
>I start walking towards the school and it keeps cawing as if it's calling after me.
>when I finally reach the school the two crows fly over my head and continue cawing
>I realize I want alone in the parking lot, when I was talking to the crow cars were filling in as time went by. I haven't been there too long but long enough for other students and professors to arrive.
>as I said good eye there was a woman in a bright red collard dress that ended at the knees. She looked to the sky and smiled to where the crows were and then looked at me as I held the door for her.
I wonder if she caught me talking to them...
>>
One time I was walking to class, two synchronized globs of bird shit fall less than a foot in front of me. The moment I look up, the two crows above me fly away, were they possibly doing that on purpose, or am I assuming too much? lol
>>
>>2036494
Birds don't have a sphincter.
When they have to go they just can't delay it.
>>
>>2036494
Doesn't sound intentional but I have heard this story of a guy who pissed off some crows by throwing rocks at them, almost everyday as he walked up to his work building the crows would intentionally drop pebbles and acorns on him.
And the occasional shit as well.

As long as you didn't do anything to them, I'm convinced it was unintentional. Besides, typically before birds go into flight they will drop a shit to make air travel lighter for them.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.