[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cute as hell I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 9567794174.jpg (65 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
9567794174.jpg
65 KB, 640x427
Cute as hell I know
>>
File: 9501887450.jpg (55 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
9501887450.jpg
55 KB, 640x427
Another pic
>>
they smell like backyard breeder.
>>
>>2025148
So?
>>
>>2025146
Yes, definitely purebred.
>>
>>2025158
so don't buy backyard breeder puppies unless you like paying vet bills for all of the health problems that they're going to get.
>>
>>2025167
shut the up fuck. That not true. Get off the bottle.
>>
>>2025182
yes it is.

all issues with dogs whether it's health or the damage they do is all due to backyard breeders.

the shelters are packed due to backyard breeders.

the cities are crawling with feral dogs due to backyard breeders.

all breed-related issues exist because of backyard breeders.
>>
>>2025185
oh by the way, it doesn't matter if it's 'intentional' or not.

all people that breed dogs intentionally or unintentionally without proper health tests, vaccinations, etc, are backyard breeders.

your dog runs around and accidently gets fucked or fucks some dog? you're a backyard breeder.
>>
>>2025188
Not sure if this is just some weird language gap, but my understanding of English implies that to be a breeder, one needs to have bred more than once.
>>
>>2025191
no, it's just described with plurals in some dictionaries for no reason.

but unless you produced a litter of 1 you're still responsible for multiple animals.
>>
>>2025185
You have been drinking again.
>>
>>2025289
That's because of his breeder.
>>
>>2025185
I thought it was also due to Kennel Club standards.
>>
>>2025305
No. A good KC breeder will make sure blood lines don't cross over too much so that you can keep the standard but not fuck them up with interbreeding. Backyard breeders will breed anything with anything not necessarily checking for inherited diseases or behavioural issues. KC is an ethical standard more than anything.
>>
looks like they have hip dysplasia already. Are you ready to pay $3k per hip to have that fixed? GSDs are highly likely to have hip dysplasia so you god damn better buy one from a breeder that knows what the fuck they are doing and has CREF scores for both parents hips. You will pay out the ass for a quality GSD but it is better than paying out the ass for medical bills or just having a dog you have to put to sleep when it is 6 and can't walk anymore.
>>
>>2026173
>they already have hip dysplasia
Isn't it supposed to show after they're years older
>>
The entire concept of "purebreed" is fucking retarded. Occasionally mixing in other breeds results in better healthier dogs and anyone that thinks purebreed is better is an idiot.
>>
>>2025185
So why don't all kc breeders fix their dogs they sell?
>>
>>2025191
see
>>2026505
He lives in a different world
>>
>>2025305
Kennel Club is not synonymous with a reputable breeder.

>>2026173
Only cost $75 to euthanize and $100 to cremate, though

>>2026780
I think the big issue with cross breeding is it becomes extremely hard to document after that. The resulting pups can no longer be X breed, they will have to be X breed crossed with one or multiple X breed/s. Most dog breeds actually have a decent diversity, however it's when you get to the lower standards of breeding is when shit gets fucked up. People who don't understand breeding, or care to look into who they are breeding with, end up breeding parents to siblings to cousins to grandparents etc, which severely fucks up the majority of the breed that people buy.
>>
>>2026793
>The resulting pups can no longer be X breed
Which is the retarded part about it. If a dog meets the breed standards it should be called that breed, not if it has X heritage only. Mixing in outside strains isn't going to degrade a breed if you breeding for a goal, ie the breed standard.
>>
>>2026776
And you can't tell just by looking at them anon
>>
>>2026809
The problem, though, in that scenario you're basing breeding decisions off of phenotype rather than genotype. There would be any number of unknown, unexpressed genes that could show up and affect puppies' structure, type, an temperament. I agree that bottlenecking bloodlines are becoming a concern in certain breeds, but until we have the knowledge and means to outcross effectively we have to rely on reputable breeders to make smart pairing decisions. Consumers can help by educating themselves and supporting the reputable breeders that make smart pairing decisions.
>>
>>2027430
That's bullshit, current breeding programs don't know shit about what the genotype of their dogs are and breed based on phenotypes. The healthiest dogs come from working lines, which of course are breeding dogs that have healthy, strong, and useful PHENOTYPES. If anything you said was true recessive deleterious alleles wouldn't be a problem at all. Breeding for something resulted in breeds, not arbitrarily erecting walls between nearly identical animals. Inbreeding depression will be a problem for as long as we continue this stupid practice.

Worse case scenario in my situation is a cute but healthy "mutt" that someone will probably still want, if not for as much money. Worse case scenario in the current system is dogs with major health problems that no one really wants and costs a shit ton in veterinary expenses.
>>
>>2027435
>current breeding programs don't know shit about what the genotype of their dogs are and breed based on phenotypes
Reputable breeders try to make as informed decision as possible when it comes to pairing, which is why a registry is so important for tracking different lines to pinpoint incidences of certain genetic faults. We have DNA testing available for certain conditions, but it's only for a few conditions in a few breeds and not yet foolproof. The current system isn't perfect, but it's the best we've got, and in the meantime breed clubs are currently working endlessly to improve the health checks and genetic tests available.

Everyone wants a better system, but random breeders outcrossing mutts with no known genetic background would be disasterous.
>>
none of this really matters since we're only a decade or two away from cloning being cheaper and more reliable than breeding.

get one good dog and clone it 200k times. No worry about genetics. Mass produce the little fucker.
>>
>>2027478
>Everyone wants a better system, but random breeders outcrossing mutts with no known genetic background would be disasterous.

You're retarded. The current system is disastrous. Out crossing does not ruin a breed but the attitude of "purebred" sure as hell does. Also these "reputable breeders" are responsible for the entire German Shepherd controversy as they breed disabled and deformed dogs INTENTIONALLY which then won NUMEROUS AWARDS. You're wrong and the current system is completely fucked and you know it.
>>
>>2027479
>I don't understand infectious diseases or the benefits of genetic diversity.
>>
>>2027480
That was a case of poor decision-making by a breed club choosing to over-emphasize certain breed traits, not an issue with genetic diversity or soundness.
>>
>>2027482
>thinks the rules of biology apply to artifice

we can fucking clone dogs. Of course we can make them immune to disease. Diversity simply doesn't matter when you're mass producing a toy.
>>
>>2027489
You're an idiot. "immune to disease" is a pipe dream, evolution of microorganisms will always out pace human ingenuity.
>>
>>2027488
Which is all you need to show these people aren't some sort of genius choosing the best of the best and leading to some perfect creature. Mutts have always been healthier than breeds and it's something out crossing fixes and not stupid "purebred" idiots gushing over their Austrian duke of a dog.

Face it, out crossing does far less harm than even the best case scenario of purebreeding.
>>
>>2027491
>"immune to disease" is a pipe dream
no, it's a process.

your computer needs regular updates, so will your dog. Or shots at least.
>>
>>2025146
Does not look like it has good back/bone structure, I wouldn't get one honestly.
>>
>>2027580
Please elaborate
>>
>>2027599
Its got that sloped back.

I don't care what anyone says, I don't think they need fucking sloped backs as a standard for the breed. And I've heard people argue that it's just the way they stand, but I personally think that's kind of bullshit when I look at collie pictures and see they stand the same way but DON'T have a sloped back.

Anyway, just saying, I wouldn't get one from these breeders because of that.
>>
>>2025144
probably purebred
so cute :3
>>
Update:
The breeder apparently separated these pups from their mother at 3 weeks of age. Thinks it's better for the puppy.
Why are people so stupid.
Now I can't get them from this fucking dumbass
>>
>>2027913
Holy hell. I can understand 6 weeks hell I'll even let 5 weeks pass with a sneer. But before they have even been alive for a mont? Did she have a specific reason and explanation for this?
>>
>>2028517
His only explanation was that he believes it's better for the pups, "it'll be easier to train them this way".
Ignorance is a horrible thing.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.