[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I was given this bonsai (ficus) for christmas. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 2015-12-26 19.11.45.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-26 19.11.45.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Hey guys, I was given this bonsai (ficus) for christmas. It's just a store bought one, and it looks like it's two that have grafted to each other. But I got a few questions for you bonsai enthusiasts, should I repot it into a larger pot? The trunk is rather large for the pot imo. Other question is that its obviously had some larger branches that have been sawed off, is there anyway to recover that and make it more natural looking or should I just focus on hiding it with denser foilage?
>>
>>2023685
Unfortunately there is no generic bonsai guideline you can go by since each species of plant has it's own unique needs. I would strongly recommend you google what your specific species needs to be happy.
>>
>>2023685
You must change the soil and trim the roots every X years depending of the tree.
You might kill the plant tho' so you should google some more...
If the roots start to turn in circle inside the pot it can be a fucking NIGHTMARE.
>>
it's not a bonsai, it's an ugly untrained chopped down ficus stump in a small pot.

>should I repot it into a larger pot?
you don't have to, but I'd change the substrate.
>is there anyway to recover that
carving.

bonsai is an art style that requires training and trimming, the only trimming this plant has had is a chainsaw down it's throat, and it didn't have any training.
>>
>>2023708
>You might kill the plant tho

that's going to be hard with this species.
>>
>>2023685
It doesn't look bad the way it is and I find that things grow better when you leave them alone.
Other than food,water and light.
>>
>>2023685
>framed image of joffrey
>has plant on pedestal
you must hate humans
>>
Look into air pruning.
It's a modern technique.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.