[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how dangerous are candles to birds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Snapchat-2506614094063985783.jpg (512 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2506614094063985783.jpg
512 KB, 1080x1920
I own a caique and i absolutely love the scent of burning candles
But when i bought her i found out that i could not burn candles with her around.
Unfortunately my family has given me a crapton of yankee candle stuff for xmas.
How fatal are candles for my bird? When i look it up all i get is "very bad"
Can i not light them anywhere in the house? Can i light them in one room and have her in another, ventilated room?
Should i just get rid of the candles?
Pic related. Is her
>>
Ditch the candles. It's not worth killing your bird.
>>
>>2023429
it could burn it's eye

it could eat the wax and choke

don't ditch the candles but be very cautious, don't light one up when she is in the same room .
>>
>>2023450
If i had a scented candle lit all day and had her in another room..would it hurt her if i brought her out into the room w/ the candle even after it was put out and put away?
Do the scents in them irritate birds? I know some very strong scents irritate animals, just dont know what affects them and what doesn't
>>
i gave up candles and incense for my birds in spite of loving them, it's the smoke and fumes and such... supposedly soy candles are better and you gotta be careful with what's in the wick, but it's a lot safer and easier to just not use them at all...

instead of candles i use one of those plug in chocolate melters (i had one i never used) that i fill with water and like spices and lavender and orange peels etc, makes a room smell just as good as candles do except it's completely safe...
>>
>>2023468
Oh snap really??
Gonna have to check those out!
Thanks a ton!
>>
>>2023513

you're welcome...

dried lavender flowers, citrus peels, and cinnamon in particular work the best, but you can also get away with some pure essential oils (very diluted though, a drop of say lavender oil goes a really long way anyway), and with the soy candles i can't remember the specific brands but there's a couple that people on bird forums recommend... i haven't bothered personally though

orange peels and cinnamon and water are way cheaper (and still safer) than spending $20 on a candle...
>>
>>2023450
>I have never owned a bird
>better give some advice
>>
>>2023525
Orange peels, cinnamon, and water?
No scented anything JUST orange peels, cinnamon, and water?
>>
>>2023561

yeah, as they heat up you can smell them
>>
>>2023580
Wow thanks a ton!
I had never heard of that!
Sounds awesome!
>>
>>2023429
The real question is, are birds important?
>>
>>2023597

np, my mom used to do that in the fall and winter on the stovetop, so it was the first thing i thought of when i got birds except something like an electric chocolate melter is better cuz you can put it anywhere... the only thing is you gotta be careful with it around your bird since it's hot water so it has to be somewhere they don't go... or only on while they're supervised
>>
>>2023429
is that your caique anon? Adorable.
I have a black headed caique. Sometimes I burn incense in a room that she absolutely never goes into, but I would say play it safe and use what >>2023468 said. I'd love to see a picture of one of those melter things, I'm curious.
>>
>>2023807
Yea she's my baby
I've been thinking about just burning the candles in a room she's hardly ever in.
I also need to look up those melters
>>
Smoke and anything that has to do with fumes are extremely dangerous to birds. Exercise caution.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.