[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pet insurance worth getting? My 15 year old beagle just had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: vpilogonew[1].png (11 KB, 288x85) Image search: [Google]
vpilogonew[1].png
11 KB, 288x85
Is pet insurance worth getting?

My 15 year old beagle just had to be put down today and my parents just spent like $750 2 weeks ago on lab work and some medication/shots because he had a setback with his back and suddenly yesterday went into organ failure

He had a few major vet issues over his years. He had the thing a few weeks ago, his spleen removed a year and a half ago, and a similar back issue 3-4 years back. Luckily, my parents are well off so they were able to afford these surgeries.

I'm just curious if this is actually worth getting for your pet, just like regular insurance, or if it's just some scam that costs more than it's worth
>>
Unless the animal has a chronic issue or is an exotic that needs specific care, it usually isn't worth it
>>
I'm also wondering because it doesn't even seem to cover that much. Probably depends on the company and where you live.
>>
File: Walkiestime.gif (2 MB, 320x242) Image search: [Google]
Walkiestime.gif
2 MB, 320x242
>>2022012

Depends on the cover, depends on the pet and it depends massively on how much income you have.

As a rule of thumb I quite like owners having it for at least the first two years, as if anything massive is going to crop up (e.g hip dysplasia, elbows, anything that requires long term medication) that's genetic it's likely to crop up in the first few years of life.

After that, it's down to you really. Personally, I put the money we would have spent on insurance in a savings ISA that if there was to be an emergency, it can be used. Generally, we've not needed it, but it's also not a huge amount and would only cover a % of the costs at the moment.

However, luckily, I'm also in the situation where I could stretch to cover the rest of the costs if something were to happen. I understand I'm lucky in this respect, and this isn't an option for others: so pet insurance is a better bet.

It's a gamble really, in theory you may never need it until the animal is in quite old: in which case your insurance premiums will be through the roof, and they'll try desperately not to pay anyway. Or, your dog could get in a crash and it'll save you the few thousands of dollars needed to save them.

Also, as a vet student, I've seen plenty of people come into the surgery WITHOUT insurance and come out in tears because they simply can't afford the options. It offers massive peace of mind for those without much money.
>>
>>2022059
This, I personally fork out for our two collies as we've had problems with a previous collie and lab. Where as my folks do the saving option for their newfoundland as the cost is double/triple what I pay per month for mine.
>>
What the fuck why would you even pay 1000$+ On stuff for a 15yold dog just let him die in peace already and get another one
>>
>>2022090
I have no idea why they did. I told them to just have him put down. But it was their choice to pay it. Two weeks ago he had "the blood work of a puppy" and 2 days ago, organ failure.
>>
I'm torn on this. My Boston needs a $1,000 tail amputation and there's absolutely no way I can afford that right now. I looked into pet insurance and I read the fine print on most of them and it seems like they can refuse to pay on pretty much anything.
>>
>>2022570
Insurance companies get away with not paying when it's a human being because muh fine print. Does anyone really expect them act better when it's a cat horse dog? Maybe if it's a million dollar steeplechase champion and you need to keep his balls shooting out 10k ropes of thoroughbred jizz and he's insured by Lloyds of London, but not for some biscuit eater.
>>
>>2022570
>$1000 tail amputation

Get another surgical estimate from a vet further out in the country, anon.
>>
>>2022570
Insurance isn't going to pay if the condition was there before you got the cover.
Shop around. You should might be able to get rid of a few hundred. Do you have any relative to jew some money from?
>>
>>2022570
Dude, shop around and get prices from many different vets. A girl I know owns a husky who was born without one of her knee bones (I think) and the first surgeon she went to was gonna charge something like 4k to put an artificial joint or whatever. She found a surgeon in Buffalo who did it for like $800. Don't just listen to the first doctor you see! Remember this is ultimately a business and they obviously want to profit as much as possible
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.