[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Found him this morning on a walk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: KIMG0085.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0085.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Its the end of december and this little punk is still out anybody know why?? And does anybody know what kind it is.
>>
File: KIMG0086.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0086.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
Heres another pic just weirds me out that it could even be out regardless of the weather. Southern West Virginia by the way close to the city at that
>>
File: KIMG0081.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0081.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
One more
>>
I want to say Garter Snake but that wide head makes me think an Viper of some sort. Odd indeed that he/she is out. Should be hibernating.
>>
Garter Snake.
>>
Climate change, I'm guessing. There may have been some anomaly in the weather that caused him to come out of hibernation, or he was disturbed in his den by something or someone.
>>
>>2021418
I'm pretty sure it's a she. I used to breed them and let them loose.

They're gud pets. Give them a big cage, feed healthy looking guppies or frozen and warmed pinky mice. An electric blanket on a low setting in the corner underneath the tank, don't use wood chips, use dead leaves that you bake until crisp/dry. My sneks liked it, I like rolling around in clothes hot from the dryer, so do they.
>>
>>2021418
>>2021420
>>2021426
Op here...Thanks guys ive seen alot of garters around here it was just overly aggressive for a garter not to say it wasnt but considering that and the spade shaped head really made me wonder. I did think about keeping it but I just decided to help it to a "weedier" area. It has been unusually warm this winter here I suppose I can chalk it up to that BUT even so I've gotta say it was a first for me. Thanks again Senpai.
>>
>>2021418
>want to say Garter Snake but that wide head makes me think an Viper of some sort

Definitely a garter snake.
There is not a single venomous snake on Earth that has a stripe that runs the length of its body.
>>
>>2021465
>Op here

Curious where you live OP.
As you already know, really rare to see that this time of you in most places.
>>
>>2021465
there are several
obviously ops is a garter though
>>
>>2021466
>>2021481
I live in southern West Virginia. Good to know about the stripe thing glad its a garter though it was really really aggressive but had trouble movin fast. I knew somebody here would know.
>>
>>2021505
>I live in southern West Virginia.
I'm originally from Pittsburgh but now live in New Mexico.
That garter in your photo is the same species that I see every summer in my yard out here.
I forget the actual species--there are three different ones in my county--but I believe it's a terrestial garter. I do know that some species of garters are more aggressive than others.
I'm stunned that you saw that this time of year.
>>
>>2021506
I.know weird huh? But it hasnt gotten real cold this winter at all. when I came up on it I nudged it with my foot and it insantly struck couldn't believe it
>>
>>2021418
Virgina only has 2 vipers, how hard could it be to realize it's not a viper?
>>
>>2021505
Defensive and aggressive are two very different things.
>>
File: west_virginia_simple.gif.cf.gif (73 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
west_virginia_simple.gif.cf.gif
73 KB, 533x400
Considering its WEST Virginia and not Virginia pretty difficult there are NO vipers in West Virginia. Besides I knew it wasnt a viper
>>
>>2021575
No kidding thats why I said aggressive and not defensive
>>
>>2021554
We have the same thing happening in south Texas. We've had a few cold days and nights but right now it's 75 and cloudy as fuck and will be like this throughout the week. We have had so much rain this year, it's unreal. I think the news said it's been 5 years since Texas wasn't in a drought. Anyway, garter snakes are still out, La. mud snakes are out ( haven't seen those in a while) and saw a water moccasin in the pond just a few days ago. It's crazy. I think maybe the weather is confusing them...hot cold hot cold
>>
kill it
>>
>>2021620
No
>>
>>2021615
Im just used to not worrying about snakes this time of year innawoods. We have alot of rain to matter of fact its been raining for two solid days now. Be sure and stay away from them cotton mouths friend
>>
>>2021615
I think your right brother fuck this weather shit l.
>>
>>2021627
Yeah, same here. But they are still out and about. If we come up on moccasins we usually kill them. They are very aggressive and will sometimes chase you if you disturb them. Most of the time when walking in the woods we usually have a shotgun with us. So far the only venomous ones still out are the moccasins. We haven't seen any rattlers or corals. It's unusual to see any this time of year.

>>2021628
Same man...I can't stand it when it does this. Last week I had a heat lamp set up on the porch at night for my cat. This week I have a fan set up on the porch for them because it's so wet, humid, and warm. Don't get me wrong, it's not like summertime hot, but it's warm right now ...Bout 80F yesterday.
>>
>>2021554
>But it hasnt gotten real cold this winter at all.

I saw a pic that someone from my hometown outside Pittsburgh posted last week on Facebook.
It was a tree it their neighbor's yard that had actually started blossoming.
That's even crazier than seeing the snake.
>>
>>2021644
It isur right. there's a couple people around here I seen mowing their grass last week something is definitely up
>>
>>2021642
Damn man I don't think I couldn't concentrate if there where corals around. I generally carry a pistol when I go out in the Bush.....except for today of course...but nothingn to alarm anyway. If it's not real close to home I try not to kill thems the poisonous ones I will but the only ones around here are copperhead s and moccasins that's reason enough but the copperhead u can chase off there not real aggressive
>>
>>2021687
Any venomous snake near my home gets killed. The garter and King snakes and other non venomous can go on their merry way as long as they aren't trying to best somewhere close to the house.

I hate copperheads because they are so well camouflaged that you hardly ever see them in time. So easy to step on them. The timber rattlers are the same way. Last time I saw a coral bwas when I was picking blackberries. Most Snakes always spook the shit out of me because they all blend in to their surroundings. Corals, not so much. Beautiful but I'll kill it in a heartbeat if necessary.
>>
>>2021644
Peach trees blooming here in Texas. Weird weather this year. The weather channel keeps blaming the warmth and rain on El NiƱo.
>>
>>2021703
Timber rattlers are at least good for the meat.
>>
>>2021704

In the northeast we've got song birds who never migrated and are starting to get breeding plumage again. 70 degrees and raining when this time last year it was -20 with a foot of snow.
>>
>>2021703
if you have venomous snakes around your home, chances are you have a rodent problem, if you clear debris around your home chances are rattlesnakes will stop showing up.
>>
>>2021703
The copperheads around here get spooked and run mostly I only know one guy thats ever been bitten and he was fine but yea their easy to miss. I see em every time I go shroom huntin in the spring and fall
>>
>>2021723
Also El Nino. El nino usually means wet and wild in the west and much warmer than usual in the east.
>>
>>2021735
Mostly around our firewoodand bonfire piles. We do have field mice as well. We have 40 acres and a good tree line around the property. If they are around that's usually where we find them. We had a HUGE timber rattler about 2 years ago that was underneath a brick pile near the woods. We didn't get to it in time to kill it. We had another that was very young that was sunning on the top of a ladder, totally hidden. We went to move the ladder and that damn rattler fell on my friends back. Talk about shitting yourself. That was one of the the scariest encounters with a snake I've ever experienced I think.
>>
>>2021411
Which county you in?
>>
Grew up in the worlds and working on my grandparents large property that includes lots of woods, a 2 acre pond, blueberry fields, and a sawmill.

Never seen a Copperhead or timber rattlesnake in my life despite hearing everyone around me talk like theres an infestation on their places. Obviously if it has a rattle it's a rattlesnake but most of the time I'm able ot see the snake in question it's almost always a hognose or a juvenile blacksnake. Hell, people swear up and down that they kill cottonmouths while fishing and we don't even have cottonmouths this far up in NC. Out of the thousands of snakes I've seen growing up I have yet to see a venomous one.
>>
>>2021411
Looks like some kind of pit viper
>>
>>2022026
>Looks like some kind of pit viper
No it doesn't.
It's a garter snake.
>>
>>2022022
We also have a pond and acreage. The rattlers hide and you don't see them a lot. They can become very big. I've seen them but it's usually when mowing a field or moving wood at a downed tree. Copperheads are around they just blend in really good if there are a lot of leaves on the ground. Moccasins are the ones we see more than the others.
I'm very scared of snakes, almost phobic about it. I don't know why but since I was a very young kid, they just freak me out.
When I have to occasionally kill them, I'm usually on the verge of a panic attack and will Sometimes scream like a little bitch.
>>
>>2022088
>I'm very scared of snakes, almost phobic about it. I don't know why

This is not unreasonable--afterall, they can kill you or at least cause you a great deal of pain and misery if bitten.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.