[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are shelters charging through the ass for any dog that isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (50 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
50 KB, 400x400
Why are shelters charging through the ass for any dog that isn't a pit bull?

>be looking for dog
>all are too big or pit bulls or chihuahuas
>go to shelter yesterday
>purebred 9 month old female cocker spaniel puppy
>ask girl working in kennel how much
>"350"
>their normal small dog fee is 165 what the fuck
>ask why so expensive
>apparently they charge more for "highly adoptable dogs" and shilling bullshit about how the fee pays for shit for "less adoptable dogs"
>say that if the dog didn't cost that much to keep there, they shouldn't charge that much either
>she gets really bitchy when I call her out on it and she says if she doesn't like it then to leave
>mad as fuck and decide to call and tell the manager how stuck up she was
>manager says the same fucking thing
>puppy was gone by the time I looked on their website this morning

I feel so cheated, they're literally punishing you for not wanting a shitty pitbull. Is it even legal to change the fee to whatever they want like that?
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 640x480
>>2018431
>a business is charging what the market will bear
scandalous!
>>
>>2018442
this

and anon, if the price was the same for a pure bred golden retriever and a pit bull, you think the golden retriever would be there for any length of time? You think the cocker spaniel you wanted wouldn't be picked up asap? You wouldn't even have a chance at that pupper unless you were really lucky. This also incentivizes people to buy one of the 9000 pit bulls and 4200 chihuahuas rather than go for the meme doge or Siberian Husky puppy.
>>
>>2018431
Your opinion is clearly worthless if you actually want to get a cocker spaniel.
Also what homogeneous can't afford 350 for a fixed/ up to date on shots dog?
>>
>>2018431
>shelter is charging more than I want to pay
>puppy was gone by the time I looked on their website this morning
>someone paid the price
>laughingjewsluts.bmp
>>
File: 7d6.jpg (29 KB, 451x541) Image search: [Google]
7d6.jpg
29 KB, 451x541
>>2018453
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
>>
>>2018431
Part of it is because the cute puppies and pure bred collies are paying for the amount of time the pit bulls spend there.

also
>Consumer market is punishing me for not wanting a pit bull

I mean, we could just kill all the dogs that come in. That would be A LOT cheaper. Just force people to pay for the euthanasia service when they surrender their dog.
>>
if it's a publicly funded shelter "the market" really does not have anything to do with it.
>>
>>2018431

>implying paying 350 for a pure breed puppy is a lot of money
>implying that dog also doesn't come with shots already done and potentially fixed already and microchipped

OP you clearly can't afford to have a dog if 350 is too much. how the hell are you going to afford vet bills?
>>
>>2018602
You'll have to think outside of the immediate response, though. If all pit bull looking dogs were put to sleep, then people would never surrender their dogs if the dog will never even have a chance to see the adoption floor. Then all these pit bulls and dogs are let loose in the streets because a possible chance at life is better than no chance at all. Also, that would defeat the charity portion and all prices would need to raise across the board (and there wouldn't be too much of an issue for them to do so, because they no longer have to pay for animals that stay there a long time or run solely on donation) as donations and tax cuts wouldn't be attainable as they wouldn't qualify as a 501(c)3 organization anymore. It would pretty much be a used pet store at that point, rather than an organization looking to re-home displaced animals.

See, the checks and balances are what keeps the prices low. Even if you think $350 is high for a fixed, microchipped, vetted puppy UTD on vaccines, remember there are people that would buy a $1800 mutt puppy with non of that.
>>
>>2018604
>how the hell are you going to afford vet bills?
most pet owners don't take their animals to the vet.

so it's not really a concern.
>>
>>2018609

Touche
>>
>>2018609
>>2018637
Vets are a scam. Some of you freaks spend more on your dogs health than the average human has spent on them. If a dog's being treated right and something goes wrong it may as well die, survival of the fittest.
>>
>>2018661
I agree but I usually prefer to point out that what a person spends on useless pet surgery could often feed a small village for a year. Knowing that, why the fuck would any human choose to prolong the live of one dog over that of 100 people? Indeed, that sort of person is a monster and should be purged from the face of the Earth.

the same goes for buying computers or traveling on vacation.
>>
>>2018661

>survival of the fittest
>beloved pet

I don't think so.
>>
>>2018661
Because the expenses aren't subsidized by a hospital or as big of a chunk of big pharma as human doctors. Do you know how much treatment costs without insurance, let alone with?

The vet pays for their own diagnostic machinery, own autoclave, food for patients, meds, employees, etc.

Most vets I know after they make their money, almost all of it goes back to the practice and they are very frugal.
>>
>>2018663
>could often feed a small village for a year
>enabling niggers to breed further
>>2018668
Honestly though if you have to spend so much you are being scammed. A healthy dog shouldn't need much spent on it. We spent 1k in vet bills when our dog was poisoned but that was the only problem in over a decade of life. Which itself adds up to less than $100 a year anyway.
>>
>>2018673
>when our dog was poisoned
surprise, someone poisoned the racist cunt's pet.

lol.
>>
>>2018673

That's the second time you've said going to a vet is being scammed...

It's really not.
>>
>>2018661
>vets are a scam

that's literally like saying doctors are a scam
>>
>>2018701
They are sometimes.
>>
>>2018661
My dog was micro chipped for free (government scheme was free for anyone for like a year)

I paid £80 for all the shots for my pup and got 10 flea treatment drops

You can say I was scammed but £80 for peace of mind that my dog isn't going to get alot of diseases is worth it.

plus I pay pet insurance due to having Dachshunds (prone to back problems) one of them had back surgery that cost over £6,000 and I paid a total of £50 excess. Anyone who doesn't have insurance or is well off enough to shell out some g's for surgery shouldn't have a dog.
>>
>>2018727
*isn't well off enough
>>
File: lol.jpg (50 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
50 KB, 400x267
>>2018727
>pet insurance
>had back surgery that cost over £6,000
>>
>>2018730

If you're the "vets are a scam guy", you're literally the only one laughing.
>>
$250-300 is pretty standard for puppies, though I've seen adult dogs(usually run by a breed specific rescue) for that much - $500.
If you're too poor to afford that for a most likely purebred puppy to adopt, then don't get a dog. Purebreds from breeders are usually 1k-2k(depending on whether its BYB or reputable breeder and what breed, of course).

Most shelters are non-profit in the first place. They lose more money than they'll ever gain. Unless it's the ASPCA. Fuck them.
>>
>>2018553
Implying that they wouldn't just old yeller them
>>
>>2018635
If that's what you want, honestly just move to Detroit. That's the same issue going on there. Pit bulls are given a couple days to be taken so most people let them run instead.

>>2018663
Making a budget meal at home everyday instead of ever going out to eat could feed 100s of people a year. Walking instead of spending money on a bus or a couple grand on a car could feed 100s of people a year. Ceasing all your expenses and killing yourself could feed 100s of people a year.

I think the moral here is you should kill yourself to feed people in africa.
>>
the good dogs are full-price and the shit dogs are on sale.

i'm surprised the shelter worker even discussed adoption with someone obviously underage.
>>
this thread is a good place to ask, how hard is it to adopt if you have a little baby? my wife (18) and I (19) have a three month old and it seems like the lowest age the shelter around here adopts dogs out to is 6 and up, especially since we want a big dog. is this normal? we wanted a lab but they said because he has resource guarding and is really jumpy he's 10+, even though we said we'd train him. what's the deal?
>>
I don't understand why poor people want dogs to begin with

These are the same faggots you see in every single dog general asking if they should take their dog to the vet for some clearly serious issue
>>
>>2019706
depends if you're first time owners
>>
>>2019706
because the dog has issues that make placing him in a home with small children a liability.
>>
>>2019706
>married at that age
>having a child at that age
>>
>>2019706
also, you do realize all it would take is for that dog to be eating or playing with a favorite toy and your kid comes up to play with him right then to have a serious chance of him biting your kid, right? even if you train the dog, it's still something that could very well happen and i think the shelter is wise to attempt to prevent it.
>>
>>2019706
>my wife (18) and I (19) have a three month old
the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>2018663
I have an emotional attachment to my dog. I have no attachment to some random people I've never known. There are many people on this planet. One dog uses less resources than 100 people.
>>
>>2019769
You think it's either drugs and partying or getting married with kids? Apparently dating like normal isn't an option any more. At that age, they're practically kids.
>>
>>2019825
>Tfw new laws where I live.
>If living together for more than two years and in a relationship, you have same laws as married people.
>I'm a 19 femanon, already basically married.
Don't worry guys, I'll sign an agreement so if we break up, I don't take half his shit. Fucking feminists.
>>
>>2019853
you don't HAVE to take people's stuff in a divorce.

that's something people choose to do because they're pissed off and they have the legal right.
>>
>>2019853
No such thing as basically married, thank god.
>>2019825
I was going to argue that it was possible to "date like normal" but ya know, I've never done it.
>>
>>2019825
maybe for you, don't assume everyone is as degenerate as you
>>
>>2019862
Well alright. Dating's been around for centuries in one way or another and modern dating has been the cultural norm since at least the '50s.
>>
>>2019713
Honestly even if a pet isnt properly treated, its still better than the wild where they would surely die.
>>
>>2018431

Every animal at my local shelter is $25, none of OPs said bullshit. Sad that some would do that.
>>
>>2018604
I can afford 350, but I wouldn't pay that much for a shelter mutt. If you really want me to save the fucker from euthanization, you wouldn't be out to make a fucking profit. It isn't a fucking rescue operation, it's just a second hand puppy mill.

I was going to adopt a retired racing greyhound from a "rescue" but they wanted 350 for one. Understandable, but not for a rescue. If I'm gonna pay that much for a dog, I'll get younger purebred with a desirable temperament. I'm not paying almost 400 for an 8 year old dog who's been horrendously socialized and probably not trained.
>>
>>2021123
wow, you're a moron

it's pretty standard for privately owned non-profits to change that much. you know why? they actually give medical care to the dogs. a shithole county shelter in SoCal may charge about 50$ for a dog(I know, I used to work in one), but they also euthanize any that need any medical attention whatsoever. s/n, surgery to correct entropion, dental extractions, eye removals, treatment for skin conditions, etc. that shit isn't cheap, which is why they have higher adoption fees. and no, they are not making money from it. that's why the organizations are non-profit and the few employees they have make around minimum wage. it goes to caring for the animals that the places who adopt them out for cheap can't afford to deal with.

and pro-tip: any breeder you get a 350$ puppy from is a BYB anyway

and you also didn't read the OP. 350 was for a purebred cocker spaniel puppy. their regular small dog fee was 165

>>2020942
the amount a shelter charges for animals is pretty much directly related to the level of medical care they give them, number of strays in the county, and how high their kill rate is

>euthanize any dogs with medical/behavioral issues
>only keeps dogs for 10 days before euthanizing them
>live in shithole full of BYBs and rednecks that don't fix their dogs
that shelter would charge less for their animals because they can't afford to keep them alive

>treats minor to moderate medical issues
>doesn't have a "time limit" on dogs
>area has low stray count
that shelter would charge more for a dog

this is extremely basic shit. and if you think charging slightly more for something that's considered highly desirable by everyone, you better not get into business, or even walk into a store for that matter
>>
>>2019706
They don't want your baby to die via lab, and then they would have to put the lab down and get tons of shit for adopting an aggressive dog to kids with an infant.

How would you go about training a dog out of resource guarding? That is one of the 3 main reasons children are mauled by dogs, so I can understand their caution
>>
>>2021123
Rescues can afford to be picky because they can choose what dogs to take and turn others away. If you are looking for cheap, you need to go to a very crowded shelter that doesn't have the time space or money to keep the animals. Keep in mind, more desirable dogs will always be more expensive because there will always be people wanting them, like puppies. Underfunded shelters may not provide as much as other shelters do, like first set of shots microchip etc. Some don't even fix the animals, mainly shelters down south.
>>
We are going to have to put down my harrier beagle in a few days (merry christmas to me) at 14 and we got him 10 years ago from a shelter.

We only paid $40 for him

Is this what adoption fees are like in shelters now? hundreds of dollars? Is this standard?
>>
>>2021179
depends where you are and what you want

live in a relatively decent area and want a meme breed puppy? it's going to be more. live in a shitty area and want a not special snowflake dog? it's going to be less

also organizations that give more medical care to their animals and euthanize less of them are going to be more expensive
>>
>>2021171
I meant dogs in general, I should have clarified I wasn't referring to OP's situation.
If I was going to buy a puppy, I'd spend a shitload of money on it because I'd be able to socialize it properly, know exactly where it came from and what health issues it's predisposed to. If I was going to get a shit shelter mutt mix, I wouldn't pay more than a hundred dollars, no. I hadn't considered health care ect, so that does make a lot more sense. Still, though, unless it's purebred, I personally see no point in paying more than a hundred or so dollars for a shelter dog unless it was a younger dog and/or they knew exactly what breeds were in it. If I could handle accidentally ending up with some high-energy, high-prey drive problematic mutt, I might feel differently. But I don't.

>>2021175
I'd feel better about adopting from a crowded kill-shelter if I was going to commit to fixing a bunch of behavioral issues anyway.
>>
>>2021250
all shelter dogs having behavioral problems is a myth. many animals end up there just because the owner's living situation changed and they couldn't keep them, not the dog's fault, and many areas you can even get purebreds. our shelter currently has a shar pei, bloodhound, blue heeler, and two doxie's at the moment. and we get in a purebred GSD at least a few times a month
>>
>>2021250
and also, you seem to think a dog being a certain breed means it's definitely going to act a certain way, which is pretty ludicrous. that's why so many people get purebred puppies then dump them when they realize breed is no promise of certain behavior
>>
>>2021179
Had to put my beagle down on Easter. Sadly he did not come back to life 3 days later.

Many medium to large adult dogs at the shelter I work at are $25, which considering the advanced medical care, inflation and additional work done to the animal that wasn't possible a decade ago, that seems pretty fucking amazing now knowing people paid even more for less before.

Of course none of it would be possible without donations
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.