[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT pets you want but can't have I've wanted a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: cockatoo.jpg (107 KB, 482x750) Image search: [Google]
cockatoo.jpg
107 KB, 482x750
>ITT pets you want but can't have

I've wanted a large parrot all my life, extensively researched them, worked with some and even very temporarily came under care of a few(owners went away, 3rd party for adoption processes/rehoming for people, etc). But I could never live the rest of my life with the noise. I'd fucking kill it.
>>
>>2018191
I've wanted to work with parrots in a shelter or foster home situation but there aren't any shelters in Louisiana that I can find. I'm like you. I don't think I could be a permanent home for a large parrot. I'd like to try dealing with an African Grey in particular after reading some stuff by Irene Pepperburg.
>>
I've yet to have any pets of my own (I'm excluding family pets growing up). I'm waiting until I'm in a secure position to take care of them properly.

I'd love to have rats, dogs, do beekeeping, keep chickens, an aquarium, turtles/tortoises, maybe hermit crabs again. All sorts.
>>
>>2018224
Rats are great. I was sold two small rats but they were large when they got older. Kept em in a 100 gallon tank. My big boy would jump up out of the tank and balance on the edge and wait for me to get close enough and start licking my face and then sleep on my shoulder. The girl got pregant and got out and hid her babies under my dresser but I put her back in and she was fine. One day I found a field mouse pinky. Put it in my rat cage thinking they would end him quickly but the mother brought it to her pinkies and the mouse fed and grew up with them. One day I left my window open and it had no screen and my big boy fell out. I was heart broken. he was already nearing 3 years. I'm just sitting in my room months later and he slowly walks into my room and up into my bed. I was so happy. He was thin though. He ate some food and drank some water. I wake up and he's dead. They are amazing if you spend time handling them often.

Also had mice when me and my bro were very young. Forgot about them in there critter trail cage and look at it one day and see they're all dead and they ate each other's brains. One lonely mouse in its nest balled up waiting to die. Me and my bro freaked out and got him some water and food and in a day he was up and running and lived a full life.

We lived in the woods in a shit house with shit parents if anyone was wondering how all this happened.
>>
An Otter. If I'm a millionaire and can build it an enclosure I'll jump on the opportunity. But they will wreck your house if you try and keep them inside
>>
A horse.

Seems more achievable than most, sure. But they're expensive and they need a lot of space.

My mum has a friend whose horse has access to the yard and can poke his head through the kitchen window to say hello and beg for treats. Cute as fuck.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOfhX7PMy4
>>
>>2018280
That and worrying about wild hungry animals
>>
>>2018285
I live in Australia. Nothing will eat horses around here. Maybe dingoes/wild dogs in some areas.

Snake bite is a genuine concern though.
>>
File: Ara_hybrid_with_its_owner-8a.jpg (4 MB, 3432x2859) Image search: [Google]
Ara_hybrid_with_its_owner-8a.jpg
4 MB, 3432x2859
I also want big parrot, a Ara hybrid.
>>
File: C2j8BXm.jpg (20 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
C2j8BXm.jpg
20 KB, 600x439
Fennec Fox. But I would need enough money, and I'd want to be able to make it a fox proof outdoor enclosure to play in. Plus I would need the time and more knowhow for training.

For now I just watch videos on youtube to curb my craving for cuteness.
>>
It's not a single animal, but I want a greenhouse pond stocked with guppies and a few predatory fish.
>>
>>2018191
A dog.

I'm not ready for the responsibility
>>
i used to want a cockatoo, cuz my uncle had one when i was a kid and i loved it... but getting older and researching them and all that i've realized they're more than i would want to take care of ever...

i'm happy with my green cheek and budgies though, they're perfect pets so i'm not upset about the idea of never getting a cockatoo...
>>
Id like to have a messenger pigeon because i think it would be more fun than texting.
>>
>>2018422
Buddy you need someone to send messages/text to for it to be fun and for that you need friends so...sorry. Maybe get a talking bird instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 236x157) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 236x157
Miniature goat. Can't have one because I live in an apt.
>>
>>2018191
Adopted a 15 year old Macaw 10 years ago. Took some acclimation, but after a few years he is a good buddy, and will be until I die and he inherits the house.
>>
I'm a simple man, with simple needs.

I want a dog, someday, if I ever get my own home.
>>
>>2018191

Large tortoise.

It's the dream, but the closest thing Australia has is semi terrestrial turtles
>>
Giant indoor pond/aquarium with a north american alligator but a dwarf caiman would be more managable and less paperwork probably considering I live in Louisiana fully stocked with fish and turtles and whatnot.

Generally I'll just go chill down by a tributary and occasionally see one basking on a log or bank.
>>
>>2018191
I'm an okay to terrible macaw owner and even I was able to train my bird not to shout so much. The noise issue is pretty manageable.
>>
File: 851970970_1308483.gif (196 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
851970970_1308483.gif
196 KB, 300x400
Hot damn I'm going to get a flopwop or two one day
>>
>>2018408
fennecs arent good to be kept as pets anyway , their fine ears suffer a lot even from normal in-door noise, they suffer from stress symptoms after a short time of being kept in a household .

they are a lot more adapted to the silence of the desert
>>
>>2018191
I have wanted an umbrella cockatoo for years. But my roommate would make me get rid of it once it starts shrieking, and I can't afford to move out or even own a parrot that big until my car is paid off.

Been thinking of a green cheek, but I want a bird I can literally cuddle.
>>
>>2019009
It would be okay to keep as a pet when I get my quiet home in the woods away from humanity, which is when I would be able to buy one.

But if I have a cute shibe to keep me company then I dont see why I would need one unless I rescued one from somebody.
>>
>>2019315
> Bird you can literally cuddle

Emu? Vulture? Chicken!
>>
>>2019315

green cheeks do cuddle
>>
My entire life, I've wanted a dog. As a kid I'd collect dog stuffed animals/toys, build little agility courses to run the toys through, watch dog shows all the time, and buy a bunch of breed books. My family dislikes them with the exception of my father, who is neutral to them. I'm still living at home, but when I move out, if I have the money and time, I'm getting a goddamn dog.

Unfortunately, having never lived with a dog, their body language doesn't come naturally to me. That's something I'll need to work on. Had an incident recently where I thought a nervous dog was happy (tail wagging, licking me, relaxed posture) and he snapped at my face.

Also would like to give rats a cance.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.