[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/aq/ - Aquarium General - Polypterus ornatipinnis edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63
File: baby ornate.jpg (58 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
baby ornate.jpg
58 KB, 600x400
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank:
http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah (embed)
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.liveaquaria.com/
>FUCKING GOOGLE
>http://www.google.com

Old thread:
>>2008910
>>
I've got a planted 55 gallon tank with 7 tiger barbs, and I plan on bumping that school up to 12-14 fish. What else could I put in there with them?
>>
>>2016521
Cichlids
>>
>>2016539
>cichlids
>planted
>>
>>2016548
Explain yourself?
>>
How big of an aquarium or pond would I need for one of the smaller species of bichir?
>>
>>2016563
a 20 long would be great.
>>
>>2016548
I think he's trolling because they'll eat the fish
>>
>>2016521
Maybe a school of some of the larger aggressive tetra, such as serpae or black phantoms.
>>
>>2016553
not him, but they dig
>>
>>2016568
The smaller species I listed below wouldn't, there are a lot of cichlids

>>2016606
Not all cichlids. Rams, apistogrammas, and angels are all fine with plants
>>
>>2016727
can confirm, dwarf cichlids are plant friendly most of the time. i keep dwarfs and killis in planted tanks and my plants are usually fine
>>
Why aren't my RCS getting saddled with eggs after having a batch of shrimplets?

It's been months :(
>>
File: e eel.jpg (162 KB, 960x716) Image search: [Google]
e eel.jpg
162 KB, 960x716
Popping in again with updates on the electric eel. He's going well, and growing steadily. Will eat anything that's whole fish, but isn't big on any other type of meat.
>>
>>2016727
>angels are all fine with plants
Mine tear them up and eat the roots.
>>
>>2016824
Electric eels look like giant floating poops
>>
>>2016824
I have a baby electric eel. Any tips?

I have floating plants on surface for him to swim on to and chill. I have hiding spots. (caves/logs) I dont have sand. Instead I have gravel and smooth stones. He doesnt seem too eat many if any bloodworms. I am going to try blackworms.
>>
File: 1429362182900.gif (1 MB, 245x227) Image search: [Google]
1429362182900.gif
1 MB, 245x227
>Still sad about my biggest 3cm berried RCS randomly dying last week
>Look at one of the shrimplets that has grown up while checking my tank today
>She's berried

I'm just so happy. Please god don't let her die too without spawning a writhing mass of shrimp babbies
>>
>>2016946
Where did you get an actual baby? How small/any pictures?

Mines pretty undemanding, I just feed him daily/every other day and he eats consistently as long as it's fish. No unusual stuff otherwise other than him liking to pick up tank furnishings and drop them repeatedly.
>>
>>2016773

Do you have a heater in the tank? If it's a smaller tank, take it out. If you don't believe me, take a kitchen thermometer and swab it with alcohol, then test near the heater and further away from it. This temperature differential is enough to dissuade them from breeding.
Are you feeding enough to support the new numbers? RCS only breed when food is plenty.
Have the shrimplets survived or have a few died and begun to rot in the tank?
Water changes and gravel vac, as usual, if you have substrate.
>>
>>2016952

In a surely ill-fated attempt to breed decent shrimp out of a few excellent ones and some less-than spectacular filler, I've finally got babies.

And they are all redder than the devil's dick.
>>
>>2017030
Yes it is a very small tank and I have a heater in the tank to prevent the water temp going below 18-20c at night.

If I took it out wouldn't they all die?
>>
>>2016937
huh, I haven't encountered that though I can't claim to be all that experienced. Is it do with breeding or just more specific to your fish do you think? I can't say I have heard about angels being bad with plants. My bolivian rams do dig some pits when they are breeding but I would not say they are bad with plants
>>
>>2017088
I don't know. It's just some plants, though. They're fine with my amazon swords but any pogostemon helferi I put in is going to be ripped out within a few days. If I try to split them up to make a carpet they'll tear up the smallest plants first and eat them whole, often while I'm still with my hands in the tank.
Horribly evil little creatures, destroying my beautiful water garden.
>>
>>2017091
You have placed terrifying merciless creatures in your tank at your own peril, I have no sympathy for you.

More seriously that is some weird behaviour. I hope some other anons have some insights. The only thing I can theorise is that they may want more plant material in their diet so they eat a plant that provides what they are after. My angels do pick at plants and the zucchini I put in for my bristlenose but really to no great extent.
>>
>>2017097
I do put in some cucumber for my shrimp, but the angelfish never give a fuck about it. I'm feeding them Nutrafin Max Tropical flakes, which have gotten very good reviews and that my LFS recommends, so I don't think it should be a diet issue. It contains both fish and algae, so it should be a good all-round diet for cichlids.
>>
File: scrimpo.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
scrimpo.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
is she puking?
>>
>>2017109
I don't know what she's doing, but your tank looks great.
>>
>>2017109
It's pooping.
They have an asshole just under their mouth.
>>
>>2017147
>They have an asshole just under their mouth
>>
I asked this in reptile/amphibian general and didn't get a response. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have 2 African Clawed Frogs, and recently they have been staying at the top of the tank. They used to burrow under a rock, but I moved the aquarium to my new home 3 weeks ago so they no longer have their little cubby. I would say they are at the bottom of the tank 80%+ of the time, but sometimes I'll walk by and one or both of them are floating at the top, entire body submerged but eyes and mouth out of the water. When I walk near the tank they go back down, I assume the vibration startles them.

They are eating fine and behave normally, just like to poke their faces out of the water. Is this anything to be concerned about? They share the tank with a large pleco, two Dalmatian mollies, 3 giant danios, and 4 zebra danios. (I know they will probably eat the zebras eventually)

I use an aquarium gardening claw to "hand" feed the frogs so I know they aren't going hungry. I'll feed them mysis and brine shrimp, occasionally I'll feed them bloodworms.

I've tried googling this, but all I found were people saying their frogs were literally floating and not eating, aka dying.

Tl;Dr my 2 ACF's will float at the top of the tank with just their faces over the surface, otherwise behave normally. Should I be concerned?
>>
I have white spider web looking thinks all over my tank after i do water changes.
what gives?
>>
File: 1445139197902.png (335 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445139197902.png
335 KB, 500x500
>>2017147
>They have an asshole just under their mouth.
Nature is a bitch.
>>
>>2017447
It's fine they're just trying to breath
>>
I got my rili shrimp in the mail on Friday and it seems like they don't want to eat. I keep giving them half a wafer and they just ignore it except for one or two shrimp. Today I tried one of the fancy specialty shrimp foods and they're ignoring it too. All they do is hide under the leaf litter all day. Water quality is fine too so I still don't know what's wrong with them.
>>
>>2017476
Give them some time to get adjusted to their new surroundings.
>>
>>2017447
I hope you at least have floating plants or something for them. Those guys live in very shallow water in the wild so keeping them in an aquarium where they have to constantly swim way up every time they want to breathe is incredibly stressful and tiring.
>>
File: J U S T.png (736 KB, 970x888) Image search: [Google]
J U S T.png
736 KB, 970x888
>>2017032
>>2016952

Apparently some sick god out there heard my prayers and smited the berried shrimp overnight, because I saw her pink corpse laying in the back of my tank this morning
>>
>>2017466
Well they pop up and down to breath, only recently have they started floating. But okay good to hear.

>>2017482 I don't have floating plants but have stacked rocks and a log that are about 6 inches under the surface. Only reason I don't have floating plants is there is a gap in the cover of the tank so that my emperor filter can hang off of the back. Its 2-3 inches wide and I'm worried they will jump out
>>
>>2017085

No. Seriously - heaters can be hellish on small tanks, especially with cold ambient temperatures.
That being said, your shrimp may not breed as prolifically as they do elsewhere if your room isn't on the 70's on average, simply because they breed the most during the summer.

But RCS will multiply no matter what. It's just a question of rate.
>>
>>2016470
Cherry, Ghost, or Amano shrimp as the Keystone species for my tank?

I'm thinking of going with Ghosts since they're cheap and readily available.
>>
File: SAM_0518.jpg (795 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0518.jpg
795 KB, 1984x1488
Hey, guys, I am
>>2017030
>>2017032

I've posted a bit of shrimp advice on here before but never actually posted pics. This is the small tank I keep next to my bed. The filter helps me sleep.
>>
File: SAM_0515.jpg (785 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0515.jpg
785 KB, 1984x1488
>>
File: SAM_0517.jpg (788 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0517.jpg
788 KB, 1984x1488
It's sideways, unfortunately, but they usually cluster on this group of plants.
I suppose they just weren't in the mood for my hovering tonight.
>>
>>2017530
What moss is that? Looks kinda pretty, is it just Java?
>>
>>2017542

It is. I get about a golfball sized clump of extra moss every two weeks or so.
But the babbus love it.

I periodically fluff it with a pair of devoted chopsticks for maximum light exposure.
>>
>>2017544
It looks so nice fluffed like that. Do you trim it?

Might just bite the bullet and get some to grow around the driftwood in my tank, or a trio of smaller memeballs from Petco. Need more places for my shrimpies to hang out
>>
>>2017552

I do. I wish I had a pair of, like, actual pruning scissors for underwater work, though, because I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to do it while running a siphon.

It grows like mad when wedged somewhere tight with good water flow. It's practically natural filter media. The only problem is that it will not tolerate being near substrate at all. Mine actually wraps around those rods that are about a centimeter above the ground.

Endgame is to get it growing completely around the wood so I can take the rods out.

Do you have pictures of your tank?
>>
File: 20151213_202850.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20151213_202850.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
>>2017555

I'm trying to find more taxiphyllum sp. moss to stick around my driftwood, or contemplating getting either meme balls, subwassertang, or monosoleum tenerum to put at the driftwood base tucked in between the riverstones. I just want as much cover for my shrimp as possible since I plan on getting a shoal of Sparkling Gouramis in the future, which are notorious shrimp hunters
>>
>>2017586

Gorgeous! Do you use CO2?
What is your substrate?
>>
>>2017597
No CO2 or Excel, it's purely a low tech tank with EI dosing and root tabs

Substrate is just a mix of Eco Complete and Flourite sand
>>
Will my Oscar and jack Dempsey eat ghost shrimp? I had a shop order me some at 20 cents a piece and forgot about my newly acquired Oscar and Dempsey. I'm guessing they will. So will they be good food for them?
>>
>>2016470
What do I have to do to get a fish like that in my aquarium, and how do I keep it alive and healthy?
>>
>>2016824
Jesus Christ, those things have four eyes?!!!
>>
>>2017447
They're frogs, dude, they have to breathe air or they suffocate.
>>
>>2017616
I've seen Walmart sell them for around 5-8 dollars and they're pretty easy. Bichir are great and can breathe oxygen.
>>
Just got my hands on a 55 gallon tank and I need ideas as this will be a room divider in my shitty small apartment. I plan on heavily planting it in dirt with a sand cap.

-I love endlers. Any idea what larger fish will go with them? I was thinking bettas or gouramis, which would probably eat the fry but that's not necessarily bad.
-Any other fish that would be visually striking in this kind of tank? This is the largest I've ever owned so I don't want to restrict myself to fish I've owned before. Rams or angelfish might be neat.

Suggestions welcome :^)
>>
>>2017621
So does every other fish
>>
>>2017450
Planeria.

>>2017586
>>2017607
What are those long thing leaved plants all the way on the right? They are beautiful, I want a shit ton of them.

>>2017621
What kind of city do you live in where your Walmart sells fish? Mine only sells food and beds for cats and dogs.
>>
>>2017623
No. As in they can go out of water and scoot across land for a bit until they find more water. Pretty sure they have lungs.
>>
>>2017624
Depends on the store. Meijers does to but no one ever takes care of them.
>>
>>2017617
Those are nostrils, anon.
>>
>>2017624
They are Cryptocoryne Spiralis, Retrospiralis, and Balansae. Like Vallisneria, but better planted together sparsely and loosely instead of tightly packing them in clumps. They also grow slower and don't take over your tank fast
>>
>>2017629
>No
They do breathe oxygen. Every animal breathes oxygen. Mammals, reptiles and so on use lungs, insects use trachea, and fish use gills.
Really nothing weird about that.
>>
>>2017713
he's probably right.
"Breathe" usually implies inhaling and exhaling from the lungs.

fish don't really breathe because most of them don't have lungs and don't inhale or exhale air.
>>
>>2017717
>"Breathe" usually implies inhaling and exhaling from the lungs.
It doesn't imply that at all. Just because you assumed it does, doesn't mean thats what the word means.
>>
>>2017726
I just checked the top 5 definitions from online dictionaries before replying.

they all say you're wrong.
it's ok to be wrong, just look it up and stop shitting the board up with your ignorance.
>>
File: lil hider.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1023) Image search: [Google]
lil hider.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1023
>>2017133
just that corner, cause i just hacked away a shitload of wisteria
>>2017147
huh, i discounted that because i saw her belly empty before i put a bit of cuttlebone in there, lots of them were interested in it but she was the only one that i could see had a belly full of it. the webm was taken about 10 mins after the cuttlebone went in, didn't figure it went in and out so quick
>>
>>2017742
>online dictionaries
theres your problem
>>
>>2017799
Well, he is right. The word you're thinking of is respirate.
>>
>>2017713
>>2017726
>>2017799
Kill yourself. Bichir come out of the water on to land and BREATHE with there lungs for much longer than any fish that gets trapped on land. We know all living things require oxygen you autistic faggot. You're just being a extra large faggot because you feel retarded.
>>
>>2017713
Just find someone to kill you. You're definitely on the spectrum but you aren't high functioning.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZYGYjnGMWQ
>>
File: 1450056190904.jpg (42 KB, 286x378) Image search: [Google]
1450056190904.jpg
42 KB, 286x378
>>2017623
>>2017717
>>2017726
>>2017742
>>2017799
>>2017801
>>2017841
>try to give someone a lighthearted hard time
>erupts into extremely autistic fuckery
okay then
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 539x960
>>2017846
Your autism...its..its off the charts.
>>
>>2017846
A "lighthearted hardtime" so the constant "all animals use oxygen" was supposed to be some kind of joke? I think you felt stupid and was trying to come off as if you knew something.

Anyway back to fish before this guy ruins the thread.

I've seen these shrimp in the local chain pet store and they were just labeled as assorted colored shrimp. They were just red and blue. Are they regular shrimp but colored in some way that's not natural or in a lab? I won't buy them then. I can't stand when they color fish or "tattoo" them
>>
>>2017864
There are shrimp that are naturally blue, like these Tiger Shrimp, or Navi Blue shrimp, or Taiwanese Bee Shrimp.
Likewise, loads of red shrimp. Cherry Red and Sakura are the most common, I believe.
>>
>>2017864
They're colored through selective line breeding.
>>
>>2017870
>>2017871
Okay I see thank you. I really didn't want to buy them if they were artificially colored.
>>
>>2017873
i think selective line breeding is about as "natural" as you can get.

things like rcs are red because of slb. without it they degrade into weird yellow and green
>>
>Still sad after two of my berried RCS plopped over dead one after one
>Wake up this morning, dump weekly ferts into tank
>Notice two young female shrimpies also have eggs

I'm already preparing for the worst, I refuse to have my hopes up and then be crushed.

Also since I can't find any shrimp feeding dishes, was wondering if people had good success with dollar tree/Walmart glass or stainless steel ash trays. Should be safe right?
>>
>>2017890
Use the glass trays. Don't use the stainless steel unless you know it's 316 stainless steel.
>>
>>2017615
Yes, much better than feeder fish.
You can set up your own breeding tank or colony for them if you want too.
>>
File: 72a.jpg (2 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
72a.jpg
2 MB, 3008x2000
Here's my 55 gallon dirted tank. Stocked with 6 bolivian rams, 12 Praecox rainbows, 6 corydoras sterbai (planning on upping the school back to 12 eventually), one male pearl gourami, and a few cherry shrimp. Plants are jungle vallisneria, cryptocoryne (not sure what species), anubias nana petite, cryptocoryne parva, some dying aponogeton (not sure what species), and some dying java fern.
>>
>>2017942
Love the tank anon. The cryptocoryne is probably wendtii brown or red.
>>
>>2017942
I'm really envious of your vals and cryptocoryne especially. Can't wait for my tank to grow out
>>
>>2017945
Thanks, and yeah, wendtii is what I was thinking. Cool.

>>2017952
Thanks. They looked pretty terrible when I first planted them. This is probably a year and a half of growth. I never expected the crypts to get so tall.
>>
>>2017890
I cut the the bottom off water bottles or round juice containers to make one for free. They also "disappear" in the water because of how thin and clear the plastic is.
>>
File: image_preview.jpg (22 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
image_preview.jpg
22 KB, 400x266
>Ordered 10 Kuhlis at LFS

Can't wait to pick them up next week, I hope these loveable goofballs thrive in my quarantine and main tank
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2018003
I love loach. Here's my hill stream loach. They're neat. He flies over my albino Cories and lands on them like a bat to scare them away from his algae areas. You can also watch his heart beat. It's in the middle of his chest.
>>
File: CAM00023.jpg (875 KB, 2592x1646) Image search: [Google]
CAM00023.jpg
875 KB, 2592x1646
My convict cichlid breeding pair and their 3 week old fry.
>>
Name my baby Oscar. Don't mind gravel he's in my girlfriends tank until mine arrives.
>>
Can someone help me please?

I bought a small vial of anti-algae at a farmer's shop (it's a small town) it worked great, for a whole month I had literally zero algae in my tank. Changed water and all, then algae started coming back as expected, mostly brown ones.

Except...my plants just stopped growing. My amazonian swords, other quick growing plants just went like "yea nope" and they stopped growing new leaves. The larger ones they had are now starting to go brown and disintegrate slowly, and I'm left with a couple of tiny clumps of new leaves. the size of my pinky finger. even less.

Uh, now what? I realize I probably fucked up something major in the balance of my tank (15 gallon) but what? Should I just go to the city and buy some fresh plants and make sure they put in some of their water so my tank has a chance of restoring what it had lost?
How much water should I ask for? Also, what did it lost anyway? Green algae? Bacteria? I really just have no idea.
>>
>>2018143
Algae are plants. When you dose with those things, you're basically dumping in herbicide. Killing your plants as well. There's a reason why shrimp are in such high demand now.
>>
>>2018143
Just get a nerite snail senpai
>>
>>2018143
I'll never understand how people have algae problems. Maybe I'm lucky? I first started a year ago with no knowledge and bought some fish and a bunch of plants and sometimes kept the light on overnight and at some points the sun shines into my tank. As well as a filter 10gallons to small. Never had a algae problem.
>>
>>2018149
>Algae are plants. When you dose with those things, you're basically dumping in herbicide. Killing your plants as well.
Shiiit- I did not know that
>>2018169
I had two of them, but they died after a couple of months. A shame, because they were really pretty. Then in desperation I bought a small yellow apple snail. She had tripled in size in half a year, so she is now literally apple sized, I'm pretty damn proud of her. Eats tons of algae, never touched the plants either. I might be interested in keeping more of them, but since it's a 15 gallon with some fish in it, I'd rather not overstock it.
>>
File: Tanked.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Tanked.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
Hey guys need to do some major upgrading with my tank. Currently only have 4 fish in there 2 silver dollars and 2 black tetras. Tank is 200 gallons, and my main question is whether you need a fluorite rich substrate for live plants to grow. Pic related thank you very much in advance
>>
>>2018189
>I'll never understand how people have algae problems. Maybe I'm lucky?
Maybe. I have a 15watt lighting which is not really enough for a 15 gallon tank, only amazonian swords and such grow nicely. Also algae love it, so if anybody ever needs to grow tons of algae for some mysterious reason - this is the recipe, get it while it's still hot.

Anway, tried for a while letting the sun illuminate my tank, but that caused some truly hideous black algae to grow everywhere, so I stopped doing that after like a month. Oh and there was for a while this dark green algae that covered everything. Brown algae. Hair algae. Green circle shaped algae. Algae beneath the substrate. Every type of algae - you name it, I had it in my tank at some point. On the other hand, herbivores love living in my tank.. so not everything is bad I guess. I've raised tha fattest, healthiest mollies you can imagine without ever feeding them.
If I had the money I'd probably buy a 30-50 gallon tank with proper lighting and see how it turns out.
>>
>>2018194
To get rid of algae you gotta poop in the filter
>>
>>2018193
no, you can use the idiot proof plants of anubias java moss/fern, and memeballs.
>>
>>2018234
M-memeballs?
>>
>>2018237
Mossballs bro or if you go to Petco they're called Betta buddies
>>
>>2018193
200 gallon tank with only 4 small fish? Dawg get some oscars to eat those bad boys up.
>>
>>2018240
You're a monster anon.
>>
>>2017620
I know this. They pop up breathe and come back down all the time. But only recently did they start staying at the surface so I was worried
>>
>>2018189
I don't know, I was in that exact same situation. Everything was going fine, tank was beautiful, fish were happy. Then bam, algae explosion, despite the water conditions being perfectly fine leading up to it. Clean everything by hand, dump in a few amano shrimp, leave the lights off for a week, nothing works. Dump in algaecide, roughly half the algae population, continue dosing with a half dosage to get the rest under control without hurting water quality too bad, but no cigar, another algae explosion. Think I've got it under control now though, by doing a double algaecide treatment, two water changes a week, and no lights. Down to about 10% of what it was at the worst time, and the shrimp have started eating the dead algae, so I guess it's fixing.
Still, I can definitely get that "It's going well wait what?" thing.
>>
>>2018203
what?!
>>
File: IMG_0219.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0219.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
Hey guys, I thought I would just ask for some general advice. I started an aquarium in January and eventually everything died, there was some white mold growing on the plants in the tank, and white stuff would build up around the filter. I dumped everything, washed the tank out and started over.

I've been doing some research, I let the tank cycle before putting any fish in, I've added a few plants and intend to add more. I have a heater, I condition tap water before refilling the tank with it, and I add an enzyme supplement. So far everything is going well, I have a beta, two green corys and a snail in here. I would just like to know if there's anything I've overlooked and what I can do in general to keep this one from dying out. Again I am doing my research but it's alot to take in at once.
>>
>>2018306
>corny horned helmet
>barnacles
>freshwater
>>
>>2018306
you should consider rehoming those corries, that tanks is way to small for them. Everything else is ok. Also, this is a dead board and you won't get many replies quickly at this time of the day
>>
>>2018306
Your lightswitch triggered me

i'm not sure when I used one like that, but I'm fairly certain it was in the U.S
>>
>>2018322
Swedefag here, we have those too, they were used up to about the 70s.
I prefer them, easier to see if a switch is on or off at a distance, which is useful for me since I have a very quiet bilge pump and can't be arsed to open the pump hatch.
>>
File: 20151216_120413.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151216_120413.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>2017586
How do you get such good looking moss?

Mine looks like shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-16-11-07-01.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-16-11-07-01.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
How often do yall propogate? Ive had this tank running for almost 6 months and ive never really trimmed anything before.
>>
Is there some way of telling which of my shrimp molted recently? I keep amano shrimp, and they're all roughly the same size unfortunately.
>>
>>2017621
>Bichir are great and can breathe oxygen
>can breathe oxygen

Can you give some examples of animals that can't breathe oxygen?
>>
>>2018437
Again, FISH DON'T BREATHE. THEY LACK LUNGS.
>>
File: polypterus-senegalus.jpg (2 MB, 4008x1728) Image search: [Google]
polypterus-senegalus.jpg
2 MB, 4008x1728
>>2018439
Cool story, m8. Got more of them?
>>
>>2017717
>"Breathe" usually implies inhaling and exhaling from the lungs.

What do you call gill respiration then? Gilling?
>>
>>2018437
God damn you're a fucking retarded faggot
>>
>>2018437
Find a rope or a gun and off yourself now
>>
>>2018437
Oh boy here comes some more of that "I was only pretending to be retarded" bullshit. Do you not know what a bichir is and what a bichir can do? Huh?
>>
>>2018508
Yes, I own a Polypterus endlicheri and an Erpetoichthys. They gulp air into primitive lungs in addition to gill respiration.

Nice samefagging tho.
>>
>>2018446
Respiration works fine, as they literally are exchanging carbon dioxide and oxygen between their bodies and their environment.
But they're not technically breathing, since that is literally "inhaling and exhaling through lungs".
>>
File: 1441746484575.jpg (347 KB, 828x1664) Image search: [Google]
1441746484575.jpg
347 KB, 828x1664
>>2018506
>>2018507
>>2018508

I think "atmospheric oxygen" is what you were looking for. But you're obviously a special one and think that oxygen is found only in air. What a fag.
>>
As a first tank, would a gimmick tank based around Fallout or whatever be a bad idea, using painted on moss and viny plants snaking around sanitized cola bottles and animal skulls? What would be some good non-plant life for that tank? I was thinking ribbon leeches or glass catfish. Also, I'm not willing to compromise animal safety for artistic vision, would something like a Doe skull, or maybe a cow skull (I'm in an area with big hunting and slaughterhouse operations.) risk injury to whatever I stock the tank with?
>>
>>2018420
If you just trim the old/overly long leaves then your plants will self propogate.

f they were stemmng plants like bacopa, then cuttng them is propogation, but all your plants are belong to roots.
>>
>>2018514
bones are usually oily and gross.
>>
Guys I woke up to my heater slightly unplugged, now my tank is at 59-60 degrees. most of the shrimp are hiding so I can't tell if they're ok. Are they going to die?
>>
>>2018567
>59-60 degrees

No animal can survive that (except probably tardigrades)
>>
>>2018573
don't be obtuse.
>>
>>2018567
>59-60 degrees
basically cooked shrimps
>>
they obviously mean °f you dense fucks.
>>
>>2018579
>obviously
>°f

Why would that be anyone's first choice? Don't be ridiculous.
>>
>>2018573
>>2018577
15 C
>>
>>2018582
>Why would that be anyone's first choice?
it's America's first choice, and we invented and own the internets.
>>
>>2018593
Hush now, Al Gore.
>>
How much should I expect a shrimp to grow with each shed? As I see it, one of my amanos shed and went from being around three centimetres to being a bit over four in just a single shed and almost immediately after, which seems crazy much. He's still hiding away after the shed or I'd provide more accurate measurements.

Just really surprised they apparently grow this fast. I was expecting several sheds per centimetre, but at this rate they'll be full-sized in no time.
>>
>>2018606
>almost immediately after
>still hiding away after the shed

I'm just basing this on crabs and other inverts, but critters get pretty plump once they've molted and are still soft. It is possible he'll shrink a bit once he hardens up.
>>
>>2018582
>Why would that be anyone's first choice?
at this time of day the majority of uses are in the US and also heaters getting unplugged does not result in them cooking the tank. aquarium heaters usually aren't even able to heat a tank to 140. Also the shrimp are hiding not floating at the surface. Also fahrenheit is the more precise scale.
>>
File: 1280.jpg (93 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
93 KB, 640x633
>>2018612
>fahrenheit is the more precise scale
topkek

Why not have a scale where -1,4 is the freezing point of sunflower oil and 108,3 is the boiling point of chloroform. Now let's divide that interval into 67 degrees. Makes ferfect sense, just like F. Nice bait tho.
>>
>>2018619
>jealous of our greater precision
stay mad, eurotrash
>>
>>2018513
Was that suppose to be an insult?
>>
>>2018623
worldtrash*
>>
File: 1447560413505.jpg (176 KB, 926x875) Image search: [Google]
1447560413505.jpg
176 KB, 926x875
>>2018619
>yuoropoors actually believe this
>>
File: enchytraeidae.jpg (136 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
enchytraeidae.jpg
136 KB, 650x487
>>2016470
I grow white worms as fish food. One box got infected with mites. Any ideas how to get rid of them?
>>
>>2018628
WRONG!

most people don't have thermometers or internet connections, so we don't actually have to listen to them bitching on OUR websites.
>>
>>2018631
Flood the container and pour out the floating mites? You might want to just start a new culture anyway.
>>
File: 2015-12-16 22.30.11.jpg (794 KB, 1112x1020) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-16 22.30.11.jpg
794 KB, 1112x1020
First attempt with live plants.

I miss my plastic plants. I don't have a green thumb outside of the tank and guess I better read up. Besides the banana, they are somewhat fresh clippings.

I'm going to test my water.. Someday I hope to know what I'm doing. At least my 2 shrimp along with my danios and neons are healthy.. along with a couple snails.

First time setting up a tank since years ago when I had a breeding pair of cichlids. I jumped in before learning. Please forgive me.

Right now I assume I need to tie the banana down.
>>
File: 2015-12-16 22.50.02.jpg (2 MB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-16 22.50.02.jpg
2 MB, 1885x1060
>>2018787
Another pic
>>
>>2018787
>>2018791
The banana doesn't need to be tied down but should be resting on the substrate where it will eventually root. That Ludwigia is starting to sprout roots at the nodes which means you need to start dosing ferts soon.
>>
Why are oscars so great and super cute even at monster size?
>>
Huh, found out electric eel likes duck.
Not gonna use that as anything other than a rare meal though.
>>
>>2018869
They also enjoy horses
>>
>>2018610
Oh, alright then.
Not that I'm complaining about getting big shrimp fast, I was just surprised.
>>
>>2018612
>Also fahrenheit is the more precise scale.
I don't know if that makes sense.
>>
>>2019121
It makes sense literally.
>>
>>2019121
there's 100 degrees between freezing and boiling water in Celsius.

there's 180 degrees between those two points in Fahrenheit.

Having more degrees means smaller, more precise measurements. You could of course use fractions of a degree to improve the precision of C, but then you can do the same with F and still come out more precise than C.

this shouldn't require explaining. It's pretty simple stuff.
>>
>>2019132
>It's pretty simple stuff.

"simple" as in "for simpletons"
>>
>>2019121
While true, like the others said, it's ultimately irrelevant.
It's just as easy to say 178 degrees as it is to say 78.3 degrees.
Celsius is ultimately more practical since we boil and freeze water, and use these as reference points, a lot more often than we boil or freeze brine.
>>
>>2019142
>and use these as reference points
I never do that. Room temperature is where it's at for a practical reference point, and if 0 is not absolute 0 it's arbitrary.
>>
>>2019151
I get your point, but room temperature is the kind of thing that varies wildly by taste and location. I prefer 21 degrees, my friend never goes above nineteen, and when I was on vacation southwise I rarely found a room cooler than about 24.
Whereas the vast majority of people freeze or boil water on a daily basis, and would therefore be familiar with it.
But for any biological purpose there's no point in using fahrenheit above celsius, and the whole "freeze water" vs. "freeze brine" thing actually goes against it in shit like chemistry since again, water is used more often.
And physics and engineering and such really don't have many reasons to prefer either water or brine above the point where atoms literally stand still.
So TLDR, Celsius is shitty, Fahrenheit is shitty, but Celsius is a bit less shitty.
>>
>>2019156
the boiling and freezing points of water are also pretty arbitrary since both vary according to elevation and barometric pressure.

the baseline really doesn't matter though. The more divisions you have the more precise the measurement.
>>
>>2019156
>room temperature is the kind of thing that varies wildly by taste and location.
no, I mean the chemistry STP room temperature.
>Whereas the vast majority of people freeze or boil water on a daily basis, and would therefore be familiar with it.
but they don't barely or almost freeze or boil water. nobody thinks about those temperatures anywhere near as much as they do the air temperature inside and outside.
>>
>>2019174
Air temperature is still more convenient in Celsius, since "standard" room temperature is a comfortable (and even) 20 degrees Celsius, or an arbitrary 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Celsius lines up a lot better too. At ocean level, water freezes at 0 (which is convenient and a common reference during the winter for people in the north, where things like driving safely depends on the outside temperature, and in the world in general since the freezing point of water is also more or less the point at which food preserves well), and water boils at 100, which is also a useful and even number, though one I'll agree most people don't have too much use for on a daily basis other than as a reference for estimating temperatures against room or ice).
>>
kekd at this

http://exhentai.org/s/f3898035f7/883710-1
>>
>>2019607
>Suddenly tempted to have doctor fish peck at my groin area

Too bad the ones I tried were awful and weren't even interested in snacking on my feet.
>>
>>2019614
I wonder why they don't use cleaner shrimp for that, to be honest. You need to starve doctor fish before they'll peck at skin, but cleaner shrimp will do it on their own.
Seriously, any time I put my hand in the tank they swim over and start grooming me. It would be annoying if it wasn't so adorable.
>>
>>2019260
the simple fact is you like it because it lines up with even numbers, which soothes your OCD.

we like the opposite because it's much more precise, which is actually useful for things other than making autistic people comfy.

having nice round numbers isn't an advantage. It's window-dressing.
>>
>>2019623
The thing is, that precious "precision" isn't really worth anything when you consider how you can use extremes more easily with Celsius, as well as how much more logical it is to separate the negative and positive scales over "freezing" and "not freezing", which is invaluable anywhere that gets icy during winter.
You can decimalize either system to get more precision. The fact that Celsius uses the same base as Kelvin adds to that. One degree Celsius is the same as a one Kelvin temperature difference.
>>
Could you two just agree to disagree? Most of the world use Celsius, some parts use Fahrenheit, it's rarely a problem because common sense hints at which one is intended.

How long should I expect my vampire shrimp to hide away? My amanos hid for about a week, but the vampire is still hiding away after two weeks. He moves between different parts of the pump regularly and sometimes I catch him fanning, but he doesn't seem to come out and sit in the high flow areas at all, even when the lights are off.
>>
>>2019638
>You can decimalize either system to get more precision
and once you've done that F still has more precision.
>>
>>2019641
What other livestock do you have in the tank? Mine took a few days to find a place to perch after introduction and now he's been constantly fanning in front of the filter outflow ever since.
>>
>>2019644
You're missing the point. You can get infinite precision with either because you can decimalise infinitely. Not that you need to, since the end result is exactly the same value for "temperature data divided by number of digits used".
That's basic math.
Either way let's just agree to disagree. I'm just as sick of this discussion as >>2019641.
>>
>>2019648
One school of cardinal tetras and a dwarf gourami
>>
>>2019650
The fish you have shouldn't bother it then. Do you have any places where it can perch in front of your filter outflow? I keep mine in a planted tank with some taller growing broad leaf crypts and it pays no attention to the dwarf barbs in my tank.
>>
>>2019651
Yeah, I don't really get it. I have a few amazon swords in front of the filter suction that should be easy to perch on, and a driftwood under the outflow. Good flow in both areas, but he doesn't give a shit and instead just sits on top of the filter, where there's hardly any flow at all.
>>
>>2019649
>Either way let's just agree to disagree
My only point is that F confers superior precision by dint of its smaller units.

full stop.
anyone disagreeing with that just isn't too smart.
>>
>>2019655
>anyone disagreeing with that just isn't too smart
you don't get how units work do you?
130F = 54,4C
119C = 246F
5C = 41F
5F = -15C
Having the default unit with smaller individual steps does fucking nothing in practice because decimals and conversions.
>>
>>2019658
You're not describing how units work, you're describing how measurement works, which is not what anyone else is talking about.
>>
can you guys just continue using whatever system of measurement your county has without arguing about it because it does not matter or affect the other guy at all. Let's talk about fish again please
>>
>>2019707
>fish
>in the shrimp and thermometer thread
>>
File: 1419243093084.jpg (23 KB, 439x474) Image search: [Google]
1419243093084.jpg
23 KB, 439x474
>"m-m-muh preesison!"
If precision was the most important factor of measurement units, then we would be measuring everything in Planck-lengths and using Planck-time as a measurement of time. You use centimetres or inches as a unit of length for your height, you wouldn't go down to any smaller units, simply because it's not practical, so screaming "PRECISION!" is not going to earn you any points.

Precision has a use to a certain level. Once precision gets in the way of practicality, then it becomes useless.

I hope there will one day be a cure for autism.
>>
File: Shrimp1_1.jpg (29 KB, 550x458) Image search: [Google]
Shrimp1_1.jpg
29 KB, 550x458
>>2019712
How do I tell if my shrimp like celsius or fahrenheit?
>>
Do yoyo loaches need substrate or a covered tank?
>>
File: someonesmacroalgae.jpg (127 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
someonesmacroalgae.jpg
127 KB, 800x451
>>2016470
who /macroalgae/ here
>>
>>2019712
>If precision was the most important factor of measurement units
the anon didn't say precision is most important.
he said smaller units are more precise.

I suppose if you equate being able to read with autism, then yes. The world is full of autistic people and you clearly aren't one of them.
>>
File: 1433147334044.gif (1009 KB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
1433147334044.gif
1009 KB, 360x203
People.
Stop and fucking think about what is being said.

I haven't been following this shit at all, but one of you actually fucking said that precision is not important in measurement?

What the actual fuck are you doing.

Fucking.

WHY DOES THIS LIZARD LICK THIS CHEERIO.
>>
>>2019851
>precision is not important in measurement
That's not what's being argued. If you need precision with any unit you're going to be using decimals. The discussion is about how convenient the "defined" spots on the scale are, and the fact that Celsius and Kelvin are pretty much compatible right away, and the 0-20-100 interval of freezing water, room temperature and boiling water make Celsius clearly superior. The fact that each individual step of Fahrenheit is 42% smaller than in Celsius is meaningless considering how all that really does is shift slightly upwards how big "average" temperatures are. Completely meaninglessly, I might add, since Celsius is far more convenient for everyday use, and directly compatible with the scientific standard.
>>
>>2019856
>0-20-100 interval of freezing water, room temperature and boiling water make Celsius clearly superior.
hardly, since none of those points is fixed in reality.

as mentioned repeatedly, the freezing and boiling points of water vary a great deal depending on elevation and pressure.

though it doesn't matter, since the argument isn't that F is more convenient, only that it's more precise.

and it is factually and objectively more precise.
>>
>>2019858
>I hope there will one day be a cure for autism.
>>
>>2019860
exactly.
you can't read so you pretend people that read are autistic.

in reality your stubborn unwillingness to read is probably a sign of autism or some similar developmental disability.

as is your need for your temperatures to be neat, even numbers even if that means they're less useful. OCD is a common autism trait.
>>
>>2019860
>>2019856
>>2019846
>>2019712
Guys, stop arguing with him. He's clearly ill.
>>
>>2017890
>>2017892
>>2017981
I bet you could make some pretty bitchin' ones from glass bottles.
>>
File: 20151215_221758.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20151215_221758.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
>>2019916
I actually found this tiny glass bowl from Bed Bath & Beyond for $1.49. It's perfect really, the bowl keeps most of my MTS from crawling inside and helping themselves to the pellets. I could leave it in there for 2 days for the shrimp to slowly finish off and not worry about the snail population exploding

I also supplemented my RCS and Amano population from the local Petco here, after seeing them a few times. The cherries are a higher grade and much more red, and since it looked like they could tolerate simple dechlorinated tap water I wanted to give them a shot. Hopefully I don't come back to a bunch of dead shrimp again after the weekend since I'm out.

Shrimps are so much fun to watch. Now I'm tempted to get a few bamboo shrimp too, but feeding them sounds like a pain the ass.
>>
>>2019836
that's pretty rad, m8
>>
>>2019132
That's great, but it has little if anything to do with precision.

>You could of course use fractions of a degree to improve the precision of C, but then you can do the same with F and still come out more precise than C.
And 79C is equal to 174.2F. The scales being asymmetric means either scale might have to represent the other's temperature in terms of decimals. This doesn't make either scale more or less imprecise than the other.

>this shouldn't require explaining. It's pretty simple stuff.
The issue is not that I don't understand what you're saying, it's that it's wrong. Yes, Fahrenheit's degrees are smaller. This does not equate to precision.
>>
>>2019851
>WHY DOES THIS LIZARD LICK THIS CHEERIO.
He licks it because it's sweet, probably one of the frosted/sweetened cheerios. My dwarf geckos will lick the juice from grapes right off my hand, and even lick my fingertips if they have grape juice on them. They love the sugar.
>>
>>2020004
>Yes, Fahrenheit's degrees are smaller. This does not equate to precision.
that's exactly what it equates to.

smaller units of measure are more precise.
>>
Started dosing glutaraldehyde today after a water change, and none of my fish/shrimp/snails have died yet. Success!
>>
Anyone found a decent place for ghost shrimp in the UK?
>>
>>2017841
>>2017861
>>2017843
>>2017629
>>2017717
>>2017742
Are you retarded? Every living organism breathes, even plants.
>>
>>2018446
Gilling. Kek
>>
File: 1440650739106.png (13 KB, 350x268) Image search: [Google]
1440650739106.png
13 KB, 350x268
>>2020110
>>
>>2020110
>even plants
Then where are their lungs, huh?
Huh!?!
>>
>>2020110
Plants breathe carbon dioxide idiot.
>>
>>2020137
Get a brain. Plants don't breathe carbon dioxide, they eat carbon dioxide and breathe oxigen.
>>
>>2017085
>If I took it out wouldn't they all die?
They're big guys
>>
Can everyone stop being autistic and answer me this; Do Tenuipedium palaemonoides breed in freshwater, or do they require brackish/salt?
>>
>>2020210
I remember reading about these guys once. I don't think anyone has ever bred them in captivity. Most sources say the species is only known from a collection in 1913 in Indonesia, but they're not terribly uncommon in the trade. I don't know if that means someone has bred them but not publicized it, or if they're all wild caught.

I would assume they need brackish, since it seems several people have had them berried but no one has successfully bred them.
>>
>>2018514
You can try boiling the bones and then scraping them clean, but that runs the risk of leaving them brittle so they splinter off if anything interacts with them too much. That's why you never ever feed your pets (cats/dogs) cooked bones, because the splintering can kill them.

HOWEVER, if you do find a really good skull, all you have to do is gently scrape as much meat off of it, and the brains out, as you can. Then attach it to something or put it in a wire cage attached to something so a scavenger can't drag it off, then leave it on top of an ants nest for a while, until they pick it clean. Don't be alarmed if it looks like it disappeared, the ants will most likely build over it as they feast.
>>
>>2019851
It's a metaphor for saving you money on your car insurance.
>>
I'm new to this hobby. My water is incredibly hard and I prefer soft water fish. I remember calling the fish store and she said that it wasn't a problem and then rambled on about a bunch of products and mentioned acid buffer. My general hardness isn't that bad but my carbonate hardness is incredibly high.

So is there anything I can do to handle hard water in a 75g tank?
>>
>>2020110
shut the fuck already and kill your self.
>>
>>2020110
Are you missing the point? The point was that BICHIR can breath atmospheric oxygen. Thus can survive on land for longer than any other fish could. I'm not autisic so I knew exactly what he meant.
>>
>>2020241
How high is your carbonate hardness and what do you plan on keeping?
>>
Well, just got 4 white cloud minnows and a sexy wad of Java fern(windelov), lets see how they do when my 5g dips down to 60-66f. Fingers crossed /aq/. Ive only kept bettas and cories over the winter months.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>2020136

>>2020137
>>
>>2020255
Honestly, I don't know yet. There are so many fish to choose from. I've also considered guppies which I like and they happen to be hard water. One thing's for sure, I do want cory catfishes.

Here are the results from my last water test:

480 PPM
kH: 15 test drops (super hard)
GH: 3~6 drops
pH: 7.3
>>
Anyone know what could cause LED lights to flicker on and off?

I bought a new LED light unit off ebay last month and recently it keeps flickering.

I thought LEDs don't ever burn out?
>>
>>2020396
Faulty wiring?
Ghosts?
>>
File: spoopy water.png (6 KB, 661x591) Image search: [Google]
spoopy water.png
6 KB, 661x591
>>2020396
>>2020397
Yep, I bet your tank is haunted.
>>
>>2018787
New? Get these three plants only. Everything else takes too much work.

Anacharis
Java fern
Anubias.

Nothing else.
>>
>>2020026
>that's exactly what it equates to.
I'm pretty sure it equates to "resolution" at best.
>>
>>2020435
the scale has higher resolution. measurements in it have more precision.
>>
>>2020421
Seconding anacharis. Looks good in decently dense clusters, and it grows crazy quick.
>>
>>2020436
So it's not the actual scale that is precise, but rather a quality of the measurements being performed. This was my point all along. I'm glad we finally agree.
>>
File: 20151220_164005.jpg (780 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151220_164005.jpg
780 KB, 2048x1152
>put 5 rcs from my shrimp breeding tank into my main tank
>instantly attacked by fish
>think "we'll they're dead"
>2 months later there's babies

Also keep not seeing my vampire shrimp for weeks then suddenly it will appear.
>>
File: 20151220_164404.jpg (803 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151220_164404.jpg
803 KB, 2048x1152
>>2020441
Managed to get both in shot. If only my amanos would get in shit too and I'd have all my shrimp types in one photo
>>
>>2020289
60-66f? That's ideal for white clouds. They'll be fine.
>>
>>2020439
>it's not the actual scale that is precise, but rather a quality of the measurements being performed
they're mutually dependent, not exclusive.

if the tool is precise the measurement is. If the measurement is precise, the tool is.

you can't have more precise measurements from a less precise measure.

you've now lost the argument so badly you're resorting to impossible semantics.
>>
File: 75g bowfront, 120g fatboy, 90g.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
75g bowfront, 120g fatboy, 90g.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
tfw ill never find another 120g fishtank for $120 ever again kind of wish i didnt sell it desu all i have left is a 90g and i havent put it together yet bc im trying to figure out what i want to do with it
>>
>>2020554
>ill never find another 120g fishtank for $120 ever again
Go to petsmart or Petco. Look for their "dollar a gallon" sale. 120g tanks for $120 happen several times a year.
>>
File: fireeel.jpg (2 MB, 8000x3000) Image search: [Google]
fireeel.jpg
2 MB, 8000x3000
Any advice on fish/tank photography?
I want the pics to look less shitty than pic related
>>
>>2020574
turn on all the lights and turn off all your filters and aerators and shit for awhile to let things calm down and settle. also they're stuck in a glass box and not going anywhere so use a tripod if you have one.
>>
>>2020574
I have a Nikon Coolpix P500 and a tripod if that helps
>>
>>2020569
they only sell 10/20/40 and 55 gallon tanks for 1 per gallon
>>
File: rosie.jpg (175 KB, 764x342) Image search: [Google]
rosie.jpg
175 KB, 764x342
> TL;DR: Is it worms? Safe worm treatment?

I have had some betas dying off lately and it's worysome. It's an established sorority tank with corycats and one mystery snail. All dead fish are female betas under a year old with the same symptoms: she gets shy, she gets sluggish, her body takes an unusual backwards-bowing stance when resting, she stops eating, she dies and her belly bloats after death with some pineconing. No cories have died.

The first beta died two months ago. One died last week now another is getting shy and has stopped eating. She looks at the food and acts like she wants it, then just stares at the food before laying down somewhere.

The corycats are unaffected entirely.

Last time one of them got shy I medicated with kanamycin and Furan-2 thinking it's dropsy. She still died. This time I see something white hanging out of the beta after she hasn't eaten in two days. You can see it in the pic. It doesn't seem to move on it's own, it just is hanging there. Is it actually worms or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I have read that worm treatments actually paralyze the worms so they can be pushed out of the fish and cleaned up by me. Corycats are bottom feeders known for liking non-parasite worms as food. If I treat for worms, will the corycats end up eating the expelled worms?

What worm treatments are safe with bettas, corycats and a snail? Will I just have to remove the snail any way I go?

Thank you!
>>
My friend has convinced me to buy his 2.5 fluval and convert it into a pico reef. I've never worked with salt before so how much of a pain in the ass will the upkeep be?
>>
>>2020638
the simple fact that you need to go out and buy salt water or brew your own discourages me right away. And the salt creep is a bitch
>>
>>2020638
it's not very difficult.
it's just a lot of water changes on something that small. Like probably weekly if you intend on keeping a fish in there.
>>
>>2020214
k m8
>>
>>2020658
I'm not 100% sure whether or not I want a fish. I know I'm definitely getting a hermit crab, but I'm torn on what else to get. I feel like a micro goby would be fun, but I also like banded coral shrimp and sexy shrimp.
>>
>>2020421
You moron, you forgot marimo moss. That's the easiest of them all. Just rotate them when you do your regular water change, and that's it.
>>
>>2020554
Get some Barkeepers Friend and scrub out those hard water stains. Your mind will be blown by how good it works.
>>
>>2020579
If its in the sale section they have to sell, i got a 5.5 for 5, have a friend go early and act like he wants to buy it, then place it when nobodys looking, a few hours later you come along and ask a fool to helo you with it. Ez pz
>>
>>2020806
>/aq/ master criminal
>>
>>2020717
>not filling the tank all the way up so you can avoid the stains and the ugly water-air seam
>>
What type of fish would get along with a chill beta and albino meme corrys ?
>>
>>2020894
Anything that isn't nippy or an anabantoid. Pretty much any rasbora, danio, or livebearer would be fine, as would meme tetras. Tank size is your biggest limiting factor.

My suggestion would be more corydoras. Always more corys.
>>
>>2020394
Is that tested from your tap or tank water? Your carbonate hardness is pretty high. If you want, you can do your water changes with half RO, half tap to cut it in half. However most fish will be able to adapt to that higher KH so the easiest thing to do is to buy fish from local stores with similar water parameters.
>>
What are some really easy fish to care for? I just moved out of my parents house a few months ago and I was never allowed to have pets. I was thinking of buying a fish bowl and getting a betta.
>>
File: 1437719647742.png (192 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1437719647742.png
192 KB, 1252x1252
>>2020928
>fish bowl
>betta
>>
>>2020937
I would keep a lid on it, obviously.
Probably something I'd make out of screen and something round.
>>
>>2020928
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=101401
Glad you decided to come here first, if you thought you'd get a bowl.
Bowls are shit.
Get a small 2.5+ gallon tank with a filter and a heater. The bigger the better. They're surprisingly affordable.
>>
File: 1450447633483.jpg (56 KB, 517x572) Image search: [Google]
1450447633483.jpg
56 KB, 517x572
>>2020928
>>2020950
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.