[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/, Some of my adult cat's claws are very thick (pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Hi /an/,

Some of my adult cat's claws are very thick (pic related) where I cannot even trim them properly especially since I'm afraid of splitting his claw.

Is there anything I can do about this? I don't want them becoming ingrown.
>>
>>2015943
You should have taken care of that before it got out of hand.
Cutting is your only option at this point.
>>
Fuck you for being a shitty cat owner.
Take your cat to the vet for a nail trim and stay on top of that from now on.
>>
I cut them about every 2 weeks but I have to avoid the thick ones like this until he sheds them or cut only the very top off of them so it doesn't become ingrown. I just wanna know how to make him shed the nail sheaths, he already has and uses many scratching surfaces but they still won't shed
>>
>>2015952
>I cut them about every 2 weeks
Liar.
>>
>>2015955
Not lying. If can get the trimmer apround it it gets cut.
>>
>>2015958
Any standard cat nail trimmers will cut cat claws. If you can't figure out how to cut your cats nails then you are a moron.
>>
>>2015943
http://pets.thenest.com/claw-problems-senior-cats-7758.html
>>
i dont know anything about cats nails but couldnt op use a dremel and keep them filed down so he doesnt have to worry about clipping?
>>
>>2016059
Yes. But not many animals, especially timid cats that are scared of loud noises and weird feels, will stand still for that.
>>
>>2016062
i understand, my dogs dont like them either and im sure its harder to get a cat used to them than a dog
>>
Since this thread is here, can anyone tell me if you're supposed to trim a cat's back claws? Everything I read about it only deals with the front claws, but I worry about my big kitty's back claws sometimes. They've gotten long enough that you can see them poke out a bit when she's just standing there, and they seem thicker than her front claws (not even close to OP's thickness though). It's kind of a pain to get back there with the clippers, does anyone have any advice on this?
>>
Hey guys I'm back again, thanks for the suggestion but a dremel wouldn't be good because like other anon says it would scare him. I ended up taking some of my fingernail scissors and chipping away at the nail until I got part of it small enough to fit in the trimmer scissors. It took a lot of force to get through all the nail but eventually it cut off. They're still thick now but not long, hopefully they will shed off. I didn't know it was from him being old but I looked up more stuff after reading the link that was posted here and I guess it's pretty common. Just wish there was something more I could do to help in

>>2016267
I trim both my cats back claws but not as far back as I trim their front ones because like you said they're thicker (well not compared to my OP picture but compared to his normal thickness claws). Not sure if it's conventional but it's what I do and they don't seem to mind after it's done.
>>
>>2016267
Forgot to mention, as for method I personally just kind of swing them over onto their backs and into my lap (with their backs laying in my lap ) and their hind feet automatically go up in the air.
>>
>>2016267
Back claws usually aren't as big of a deal. It takes a lot longer for them to grow longer/sharper compared to fronts because the cats don't have as much of an opportunity to scratch with them and remove old nail sheaths.

I'll take off the very tips of my dude's occasionally when he's dozing. He rarely even notices.
>>
I'll never fucking understand how people let their pet's nails get that bad

at least you dealt with it now. if they became ingrown you could be charged with animal neglect
>>
>>2016450
>>2015943

>my parents had a cat for twenty years
>never once cut her claws
>never had to go to the vet because of ingrown shit

??? was our cat just magic or what? I want to treat my cat good when I get one, didn't even know about that shit
>>
>>2016065
Cat claws are really sharp and cats are very flexible.
>>
>>2016468
if the cat plays and scratches a lot, then sometimes you don't need to really trim often to keep the length down. however they're still sharp and can get them caught in things easily, so maybe your cat was lucky or you just didn't remember her having sharp claws? idk

I work at a shelter and the top three things we see people get charged with neglect for is too skinny, failing to treat medical conditions (entropion, for a common example), and nails so long they actually grow into the pads. it's horrible
>>
>>2016450
>I'll never fucking understand how people let their pet's nails get that bad
I've never let his claws become ingrown, I'm not negligent by any means. The claw in question is one I was monitoring very closely since it started thickening up. I just couldn't cut them when they got thick like that, but at least now I have a strategy that works. Please come back when your cats get old and have differences in their physiology before you judge.

>>2016468
He probably was able to shed them off through scratching enough where they never became ingrown
>>
>>2016557
I have old cats and I never let their claws get anywhere near as bad as you did.
>>
>>2016559
Yeah, but were they THAT thick where you can't get a clipper around them? All pets are different -- just because your cats never had any claw problems doesn't mean it's not common.
>>
>>2016562
They got thick but cat claws are not like dog claws. You take the end off and a lot of the thickness just flakes off.
I'm a pet groomer and I do a lot of rescue work. I have only seen nails as bad as your cats in neglect cases.
>>
>>2016570
I guess you've never seen a lazy older cat that sleeps all day.
>>
>>2016570
>neglect
>claw next to it is fine

/an/ is insufferable
>>
>>2016571
My 23 year old dsh sleeps 20 hours a day. He also has arthritis. His claws never look like that.

>>2016574
I did not say that ops cat was neglected, stop twisting my words.
>>
>>2016580
Good for you, his genetics must be fantastic. Like I said not all pets are the same and it's pretty distasteful to judge if you haven't been in the same position.
>>
>>2016583
>genetics
Why dot you just say, "I fucked up and it won't happen again" instead of blaming everything under the sun but yourself.
I have not been in that position because I take care of my cats nails.
>>
>>2016586
Because it is genetics. He has polydactyly and all his claws are rather fucked up to begin with. I also take care of my cats nails. If I didn't, why would I have made this thread?
>>
>I have not been in that position because I take care of my cats nails.
>I did not say that ops cat was neglected, stop twisting my words.

are you accusing op of neglect or not, pick a fucking side
>>
>>2016590
I am not accusing op of neglect.
But I would like her to take responsibility for the shape her cats nails are in, instead of making excuses.
>>
>>2016598
you're incredible
let it go
op doesn't owe you an apology
>>
>>2016600
I didn't ask for an apology.
>>
>>2016601
then why havent you left already?
go find another thread to circlejerk about your superior cat ownership skills
>>
>>2016616
Why are you still talking to me? I only answered questions aimed specifically at me.
>>
>>2015958
Yes you are. I trim my cat's nails once a month and they look nothing like that. And my cat is a 16 lb, lanky fellow.

Just take it to the vet. Nail trim [if none are embedded in the paws] will cost you maybe $25 at the most.
>>
>>2016621
> I only answered questions aimed specifically at me
no you didn't or else you wouldnt have posted
you came to target op
I'm still talking to you because youre the kind of self righteous person that ruins /an/ and Im tired of people like you around here
>>
>>2016624
and youre just as bad
op already cut the nails btw read the thread
>>
>>2016625
*yawn*
If you want to talk to me you don't have to be coy, anon. Just don't pretend you are somehow defending op or making /an/ a better place.
>>
>>2016638
but seriosuly youre making /an/ a shithole
>>
>>2016641
Oh yes. It's all me. Because you know there are only 4 people on /an/.
Your life must be pretty empty and sad if you feel the need to police /an/ threads all day
>>
>>2016645
theres only a select few that take the time to shitpost and not offer any useful advice. your life must be worse if you get your rocks off doing this nearly every thread
>>
>>2016647
>not offer any useful advice
You sure about that?
I was the first one to post in this thread. >>2015947
>>
>>2016651
from my understanding op is asking for how to make his nails shed not how to cut them
but good try
>>
>>2016653
>from my understanding op is asking for how to make his nails shed not how to cut them
Then your reading comprehension is very poor.
>>
>>2016665
>I cut them about every 2 weeks but I have to avoid the thick ones like this until he sheds them or cut only the very top off of them so it doesn't become ingrown. I just wanna know how to make him shed the nail sheaths, he already has and uses many scratching surfaces but they still won't shed

or maybe yours is
>>
>>2016667
I'm talking about the original post and my answer directly after it.
You said I didn't offer any advice when I did.

But you don't really care what I post. You just want someone to bitch at.
You complain that I am shitting up this thread when you are doing nothing but bitching at me.
Where is YOUR advice?
Where is YOUR on topic post?
>>
>>2016671
>not offer any useful advice
>useful advice
>useful

key word in there, your reading comprehension is much poorer than mine so i wouldnt try using that as an insult next time
and youre right I absolutely dont care what you posted because it wasnt helpful and yet you act holier-than-thou. my advice is no longer relevant since i came here after op was able to trim the nails

>You just want someone to bitch at

funny considering what you were pulling in this thread
>>
>>2016674
Bla bla bla
Keep posting douch.
Save the world one thread at a time.
>>
>>2016676
>I dont have a comeback because youre right on the money
>>
>>2016557
>Please come back when your cats get old and have differences in their physiology before you judge
>wahh don't judge me for letting my cat's nail get extremely overgrown and just watching it while scratching my ass instead of getting help with it
I work at a shelter, both in the cat and dog department. literally trimming nails of various animals of various ages just about daily. while an older cat's nails can get thicker, they don't get like THAT without actively ignoring the problem. you should have gone to a vet or even a groomer and asked how to trim them if you didn't know, instead of letting them get like that. it's painful for the cat and the longer you let it grow like that the harder it is to trim without cutting the nerve
>>
>>2016692
When I took him to the vet for his shots they just cut the very tip off like I had been doing without another word about it.
>>
>>2016692
Question, why isn't this a problem for cats in the wild.
I'm looking to get a cat so I'm trying to learn about their upkeep as much as possible
>>
>>2016885
I think you're missing what I'm saying, and a vet would not look at a nail in that state and say it's fine

>>2016947
sorry to be an ass, but it's "feral" cats

anyways, usually that they're constantly scratching, clawing, climbing, and fighting for their damn lives. also that they usually don't live long enough to get the claw thickening associated with older cats
>>
>>2016955
Except for the fact that they literally did that
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.