[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kitten bite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (500 KB, 2448x1277) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
500 KB, 2448x1277
My dogs found a little kitten on the porch and cornered it. It was screaming like a maniac...Got to it b4they killed it. Damn thing bit the ever loving crap out of me. Holy crap it hurt ...managed to control it enough to get it away from the dogs and It's calmed down now.
It was just instinct to Try to help it. I wasn't expecting it to bite the crap out of me and go insane. My fault for not even thinking about that.

Do I need to be concerned about these bites? I washed my hands up and did some ointment and bandaids. I got bit 5 times. 3 drew blood. Their teeth are just like little freaking needles so the bites are deep but small and barely noticeable, I have to keep a bandaid on them or they keep bleeding. Worried about cat mouth bacteria I guess.
>>
File: 19963080_SA.jpg (62 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
19963080_SA.jpg
62 KB, 560x315
It should be fine.
>>
If they are deep, the bleeding is helping to flush out the catmouth bacteria. Keep it clean and you should be fine.
>>
It's a little one... Maybe 5 weeks or less old. Small... Another reason why I wasn't expecting such an aggressive reaction. I just wasn't thinking about anything except getting it away from my dogs. I think it's lost or something. Idk, it looks healthy. Clear eyes and well nourished.

>>2015912
Ok thanks so much. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

>>2015909
Pretty sure it doesn't have rabies. It was just scared shitless and I didn't realize how freaked out it was until I grabbed it.
>>
OP where's the kitten now? Also you're probably gonna be fine. Like any fleshwound just make sure it doesn't get 'fected. If you notice infection see a doc. Kiten bites aren't any worse than any other puncture injury, but the same risks apply is all.
>>
>>2015907
Keep that shit under wraps. If nurses or animal control or someone finds out, they will treat you for rabies and/or cut off the kitten's head. If the kitten is weaned and not feral, they may put it on a 10 day hold if they can catch it. But if people find out, shit will hit the fan because muh rabies
>>
>>2015920
you'll still wanta rabies shot
>>
>>2015924
I have it in a box in my garage with food and water. It lets me pet it. So it's not totally wild. It's scared. I'm asking around to see if it belongs to any of my neighbors.
>>
>>2015929
No way am I subjecting myself to that unless necessary. If the bite gives me issues I'll follow up with a dr on Monday and do whatever they think is best though.

>>2015925
I had no idea that this could happen. I haven't said anything to anyone yet, except my husband. That kitten doesn't need to be killed. It was just protecting itself from my dogs. I was dumb to just try to pick it up without gloves or anything on. It's my fault. I don't blame the kitten at all.
>>
Cat canines hurt like a motherfucker if they sink it. I know that feel OP.

But yeah, keep it clean and keep an eye on it. I got bit in the hand while trying to feed one of my outside cats a deworming pill. Despite cleaning, neosporin etc it got infected.
>>
>>2015929
Its more than just one shot. It is a series of 4 shots over a 2 week period
>>
>tfw automatically thought it was a cock pic from the thumbnail in the catalog
>>
>>2015931
Survival rate drops to something like 20% when symptoms show up.

No one thinks it's the kittens fault; they have to decapitate it (obviously after euthanasia) to send the head to the Dept of Health to test it for rabies. At least that way you get out of having to do rabies shots. Alternatively, if the cat isn't difficult to handle, they can put it in quarantine and once done, kitten lives and you don't get rabies shots. They don't kill the kitten because it's vicious, they do it for public health reasons.
>>
>>2015938
HAHAHAHA!!! Holy shit, that would be god awful.
>>
>>2015907
Medic here. Do not clog the wound with any ointment or tight bandage. Since its a deep wound it needs to drain. You should go and get on antibiotics. You don't know what the kitten has been eating.
>>
>>2015941
I'd rather find out if it belongs to a neighbor. If not, hell I can keep it for a few days and watch for symptoms. I just can't do that.... Have it euthanized just "in case"... don't think it's necessary at this point. Waiting for my neighbors to get home so I can find out if it belongs to them.
>>
>>2015945
Thanks, will do. I'm keeping it clean and washed up the wounds with hibiclens soap, so hope it doesn't get infected. If it gives me any issues I will follow up with a DR on Monday. Thanks
>>
>>2015907
OP here, the kitten did belong to my neighbors. They just got it yesterday. She said her daughter left the door open last night and it probably got out then. They assumed it was hiding in the house earlier today.

They were actually out buying stuff for it when it showed up here. So, it was just lost. The kitten has a vet appointment sometime next week. It's 6 weeks old. I mentioned the biting and asked them to tell me if the vet found anything wrong with it. Also told them that if their kitten gets out again I may not be home and my dogs would probably try to eat it. I'm glad I managed to save it this time tho. Thanks for all the advice.
>>
>>2015941
>Survival rate drops to something like 20% when symptoms show up
it's closer to 0%

Rabies is almost always fatal once symptoms present.

it's pretty unlikely the cat has it tho
>>
>>2016005
It is infact fatal almost 100% of the time, I think there's only 2 cases where people survived, and they don't even know the reason why that happened.
>>
>>2016013
they're working on a new line of treatment where they put you in a coma for a couple weeks until the worst of the symptoms have passed. I think that's worked for a couple people.
>>
If you choose not to get a rabies shot OP, just remember the cat PROBABLY doesn't have rabies, but if it does you are absolutely going to die. If you have symptoms show up and decide to change your mind, it will be too late and there's nothing anyone can do.
>>
>>2015946
Theres no need to have it euthanized either. Just say a random cat bit you and ran off.
Its only necessary to kill it and test if you want to try to see if it had rabies to avoid the shots.
>>
>>2016043
I'm not trying to shit post or not be appreciative of the direction and advice I have been given. I really appreciate it but Serious question... If YOU got bit by a lost kitten that showed up on your porch cornered by dogs would you go seek out rabies treatment immediately or wait a little bit. Honestly now....

Most people, myself included, aren't going to subject themselves to that, immediately after they get bit by a kitten plus insurance doesn't pay for rabies treatment....or mine prolly doesn't. It's like a 1500+$ expense. I don't have that kind of money. This post kinda freaks me out.

I feel ok. The kitten did not seem rabid at all. I have Generalized soreness in my hand and fingers from the bites. I'm trying to keep the bites clean and I'm not in an area that is prevalent with rabies. I will go to the Dr Monday if I am having any issues. I would expect they will give me antibiotics and maybe a tetnus shot if I have to go.

I hope I don't die from the kitten bites. What a fucking embarrassing way to go too...a 2-3 pound kitten taking my bitch ass down.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
>>2016051

Godspeed anon
>>
>>2016000
What kind of half-wild monster dogs do you have?
>>
>>2016051
>I would expect they will give me antibiotics and maybe a tetnus shot if I have to go.
I think anymore they give rabies shots for any animal bite if the animal isn't vaccinated.

your health insurance should cover it. If not then the cat owners liability insurance should. If not, then your liability insurance should.

if none of you have liability insurance then there's some state program to help you out.

I don't think you're likely to die, but it would be tragic if you did. It's an extremely painful death and once it starts you can't stop it. Waiting to see if you're ok is exactly what kills rabies victims.
>>
>>2016066
An 220 # English mastiff and a schnauzer. They are good dogs. They were just protecting their territory. They prolly thought it was a rat or something. I have 3 cats and the dogs get along with them fine. They were just being territorial...plus where they cornered the kitten on my porch is where they get fed everyday.
>>
>>2016070
Well, the owner said the kitten has a vet appointment next week. I did ask the owner to please let me know if the vet found anything wrong with the kitten.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 584x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 584x436
>>2016072
Here's a pic of the mastiff. Ozzy is her name. She was just doing her job.
>>
>>2016073
it doesn't necessarily work like that.

it's possible the cat is infectious and signs won't be obvious for several weeks. It's also possible that the kitten will begin to show symptoms but by the time you hear about it you'll already be dead.

I'm just offering advice though. I adopted a new kitten a month ago and it hadn't had its shots. It bit me a lot, but I'm not getting rabies shots for it. Like I said, chances of that cat being rabid are pretty slim.
>>
>>2016078
I guess I'll talk to my neighbor about it and have her keep an eye on it too. I don't think it has rabies either. However, I read up on rabies ( because of this thread) and it said that rabies symptoms sometimes can take up to a year or more to show up in humans. I was like WTF?
I promise though I will go to the Dr on Monday if I have any issues at all or don't feel well. This thread kept it real, that's for sure. Thanks for the concern. Hopefully I won't become rabid
>>
>>2015931
Look, you don't have very long to get the rabies shot before it's too late. Just take the kitten to the vet and get him checked out and then decide. It's irresponsible to not do at least that much.
>>
>>2016086
>Monday if I have any issues at all or don't feel well
If you have any symptoms, you are as good as dead.
The kitten probably does not have rabies, but "going to the doctor if you have issues or don't feel well" is a shitty plan for rabies because by that point you are completely fucked. Either just go, or don't go and accept the (admittedly small) risk. A wait and see approach is completely useless with something like rabies.
>>
>>2015931
>unless necessary

Rabies is pretty much 100% fatal. You don't know whether or not the kitten has it, so it's safer to just get the shots. You can't wait until you start showing symptoms of rabies because by that time it's too late and you're fucked.

Really, just go get the shots. It's not that bad and there's no reason to risk it. The cat probably isn't rabid but just in case, you really should get the shots.

Basically this: >>2016043
>>2016044

OP, if you're concerned about the cat you can just withhold information when they ask about it. Just say it was a feral cat bite, don't need to tell them you have the kitten or where it was.

That said, other than that just keep the wounds clean and watch for signs of infection.

>>2016051
>If YOU got bit by a lost kitten that showed up on your porch cornered by dogs would you go seek out rabies treatment immediately
Absolutely I would. I hate needles but I think I hate dying more.

As for not having insurance, tough shit but I'd rather be in debt than die. Also, a lot of hospitals have programs for people without insurance/low income where the manufacturer of the rabies vaccine covers the cost of your shots so you don't owe the hospital. My friend had this done and it really saved his ass because without insurance the series of rabies shots cost $12k. He was able to get them to waive it though. Just ask about financial assistance. It'll be ok.

>>2016086
>I promise though I will go to the Dr on Monday if I have any issues at all or don't feel well
You don't get it. If you start showing signs of rabies you are already dead. Do not wait to see. Just get the shots.
>>
I would strongly urge you to go to a doctor, even if you're not showing symptoms. The rabies thing aside, cats have really filthy mouths, and about 1/3 of bites on humans become infected. Cat scratch fever is also common. Going back to rabies, you need the guidance of someone with more experience and knowledge than random people on a Mongolian throat-yodeling bbs. They may say to get the shot, they may not, but this is something you really do need to ask about.
>>
>>2016283
>this is something you really do need to ask about.
any doctor they ask is going to tell them to get the shot just in case.
>>
>>2016286

Not necessarily. We don't know anything about this kitten. Has it been outside before? Were it's parent vaccinated? Again, OP need the guidance of people who have dealt with cases like this before, have worked the numbers, and can ask the questions that need to be asked.
>>
>>2016268
>rabies shots cost $12k

That is fucked up. No wonder people just curl up and die. There is no way most people would or could pay that for a "precaution" series of shots.

The U.S. is fucked when it comes to healthcare and cost.
>>
>>2016293
insurance covers the shots and about 90% of americans currently have insurance.

even if OP didn't have insurance, you shouldn't ever have to pay when someone else's pet bites you. It's the owner's responsibility to get the pet vaccinated. If they don't, they pay when it bites someone.
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (23 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
23 KB, 300x250
>>2016293
I've read up on rabies obsessively since I was bitten by dogs and a mink. Rabies shots usually cost way more than 12k, and most insurances either won't cover it, or only cover part of it.

Then if you get the treatment, it consists of getting shots directly into the bite wound multiple times (not the stomach like they used to do). Of course, you also have to pay for staying at the ER sometimes for days, paying for the meds, the bandages, all the other bullshit stuff besides the shots themselves. Even if you get this done right after you were bitten, your chances of surviving rabies are slim.

Unless you're rich or lucky enough to have insurance cover the bills, you'll either die in one of the most miserable ways possible, or you live and have to deal with crippling debt.
>>
>>2016305
>I've read up on rabies obsessively

>you also have to pay for staying at the ER sometimes for days
>you live and have to deal with crippling debt.
where do you live that lets you stay at the ER?
where do you live that people survive rabies?
>>
>>2016311
Murica.
>>
>>2016313
oh, you're mistaken.

we don't let you stay days in the ER, and you won't survive rabies without a vaccination here.
>>
>>2016293

>No wonder people just curl up and die

This doesn't happen though. I live in a Mexican-filled shithole in one of the poorest places int he country, and I never saw this happen. Non-Americans don't have a clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>2016314
Maybe they mean ICU? Because there's a difference been an Intensive Care Unit and an Emergency Room/Department. The ER/ED is where emergency cases roll in the door for immediate assessment/treatment. If they require longer term intensive treatment, they are moved elsewhere. Spending days in the ER would be like hanging out in the foyer when you visit someone's house and not going to their living room the entire time you're there, but staying for half the day -- uncomfortable and weird.

And your chances of survival are fine -- provided you are vaccinated promptly and don't fuck around. It's only once the disease reaches a certain stage that your chances of survival drop right off.
>>
>>2016398
>Maybe they mean ICU?
Doesn't matter, you won't be admitted just for a rabies shot.

the anon is misinformed about several things is all.

your insurance should pay for the shot.
you won't die from rabies if you get the shot in time.
you absolutely will die if you get rabies and don't get the shot.
a hospital stay isn't necessary.
$12k isn't enough to cripple anyone but the extremely poor.
the US has numerous financial aid programs to help the poor with medical expenses.
if those programs won't help, there's always bankruptcy or just not paying your hospital bill. In most states you can't lose anything except your credit score if you don't pay medical bills.
>>
>>2016305
>consists of getting shots directly into the bite wound multiple times
Not true. They sometimes do it in the same general area as the wound but not into the wound itself. If the bite is somewhere it wouldn't be practical to get shots (like your finger) they just give you the shots in your arm

It's a series of shots over a 2 week period. The first day consists of multiple shots (the vaccine + immunoglobulin,) then over the course of the next two weeks you get 3 boosters of the vaccine

>have to pay for staying at the ER sometimes for days
Unless you need prolonged hospitalization for treatment of the actual bites you received (unlikely unless you got mauled by a dog or something,) you just have to pay for the individual visit(s) to the ER, not overnight hospital stays

>Even if you get this done right after you were bitten, your chances of surviving rabies are slim
Also wrong. Rabies is essentially 100% fatal if untreated or if you wait until you present symptoms. If you get get the shots done right away it's 100% effective

As for insurance, even if you don't have insurance/your insurance doesn't cover it, it's easy to file for financial aid to help cover the cost of the shots. They have programs for those with low income. Hospitals themselves can set up payment plans, waive a portion of the cost, and they also have programs with the manufacturer of the vaccines themselves where the manufacturer will reimburse the hospital if you qualify for their low income assistance (either a full or partial reimbursement depending on your case.) I was able to get the manufacturer to cover 100% of the cost. All you have to do is ask about financial assistance, they will tell you what you need to know

Even if insurance/financial aid doesn't cover it and you can't pay, all that will happen is your credit score will get fucked. Sucks but not the end of the world for potentially life-saving treatment.

Source: CDC website plus personal experience receiving rabies shots.
>>
Out of curiosity, Why does the animal have to be killed to confirm rabies ? ( I know it can be quarantined for 10
Days to avoid this)

But, Isn't there some kind of blood or saliva tests for people so that infection could be confirmed. I don't understand this. We can check and confirm for everything thing. Flu, staph, mono, rsv, etc. why can't we do this with rabies? Is there something that keeps it from showing up in a test while the infected is still alive? Does it live deep in the tissues or what?

If it's passed to a human one would think that there's a test to confirm that. After reading up, I'm not seeing any information on that. Just curious really.
>>
>>2016425
Rabies is present in neurological tissue and in the saliva in later stages, but I'm pretty sure that we haven't developed conclusive tests for animals without testing brain tissue (which requires the animal to be killed.)

Even diagnosing rabies in humans they do multiple tests, not just one, to confirm.

But yeah, they can quarantine an animal for 10 days for observation to determine whether or not rabies was present in their saliva at the time of the bite (if they don't start showing signs during that 10 days, even if they DO have rabies, it is determined based on how the disease progresses that it wasn't present in the saliva at the time of the bite.) I think they don't do this for wild animals because it wouldn't be practical, unfortunately. So it's onyl done for domestic animals.
>>
>>2016427
Wow, Ok, so it lives or moves into the brain during the later stages.
What I read about tests in humans was nuts. HRIG immunization, if rabies is suspected in the person then they proceed on towards Spinal taps, skin biopsies, lots of blood work since no single test is sufficient. Which I find crazy. Hope someone in medical research is studying this.

You would think that in this day and age we would have a better way to diagnose and treat both people
And animals that become infected.

If a person has rabies but maybe they didn't not know yet, could they transfer the virus to others unknowingly, like saliva transfer? Would the hospital keep them in isolation as their condition progressed? perhaps they would immunize the medical workers? Idk, Probably a stupid question but again, just curious.
>>
>>2016428
I believe it starts in the neurological tissue and moves on to the saliva in later stages, not the other way around.

As for people with rabies transferring the virus unknowingly--unlikely. The virus isn't present in the saliva until symptoms are present, pretty much. And I'm pretty sure that it can only be transferred if it gets into the blood stream. So just swapping saliva isn't enough. It's not super contagious (can really only be transferred by infected saliva entering someone's bloodstream) so it isn't like someone with rabies needs to be quarantined and all the workers vaccinated, etc.

The CDC has more information on rabies and how it works so that might be able to answer your questions more thoroughly/accurately.
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 528x697) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 528x697
>>2015907
Update, went to the Dr this morning and everything is fine. They asked me a series of questions and said I didn't need to get the rabies shots. The bites did not become infected and they are healing up well.

After speaking with my neighbor this weekend I found out that the kitten had been raised indoors and the mother of the kittens was vaccinated. So, rabies is not a concern thank goodness.

The concern is that my neighbors kitten is on my porch again. I called her and told them to come and get it right away. It pisses me off that they aren't keeping up with the kitten and it's not my responsibility to go out and there and catch it for them.

So anyway, all ok on the rabies front. Just wanted to let you guys know I did go to the Dr. Gotta go to work. Have a good day everybody.
>>
>>2017164
If the kitten shows up again, take it to a shelter. Your neighbor is obviously unable to properly care for her pets. Letting your mutt cat breed is highly irresponsible, and do is letting her cat outside. Now she has this kitten roamin about; you know it's probably the last survivor in its litter.
>>
Get it cleaned out and get some antibiotics on it.

Any animal bite or scratch that's more than a trivial flesh wound has a chance to get infected and you do NOT want that.

I know a guy who had a deep scratch get infected and it was inflamed up his entire arm and he still has joint problems because of it.
>>
>>2017164
if you look closely you can almost see the foaming at the mouth.
>>
>>2017164

Good news, and lucky on the infection front. Honestly it was the right thing to do, even if it was just to hear "you're fine".

I I were you I'd be tempted to take it and keep it myself, it looks cute.
>>
>>2015933

>deworming pill
>outside cat

So, like, do you throw your entire check in the garbage disposal, or...?
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 494x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 494x558
>>2017221
Yes, it was very good news...and Yeah, it's really cute. Even it's Eyes are still blue. I'm just scared it's going to get hurt or lost running around here. It's coming through my fences I guess. I have fenced property and a fenced porch. I got it right before work and took it back to my neighbor. " ooo thanks...sorry about that...she likes to wonder off." I was like yes, apparently so. I reminded them again that my dogs will chase it, possibly kill it. She just kinda shrugged.

I gotta admit I'm a tad jumpy around it since it bit the shit out of me a few days ago. It was hiding under a chair when I caught it today...I wore gloves, lol.

I don't know how it got out their house this time. Part of me thinks they are just letting it run around outside. It's just too little for that right now. Whatever, I took it back, hope it stays there.

Gotta get back to work.
>>
>>2015907
R A B I E S
A
B
I
E
S
>>
>>2016051
>I don't have $1500
Jesus, everyone should have a couple paychecks in ready cash for emergency funds. How do you not have enough money for a rabies shot?
>>
>>2017267
A series of the 4 rabies shots costs up to 10,000 dollars total and most private insurances don't cover that expense. 1000- 1500 per shot if your lucky. It's not just one shot, it's 4.
>>
>>2017164
You're going to die of rabies you can't trust the doctor. I bet you already have a slight fever.
>>
>>2017164

Glad to know you're ok, OP

But holy shit your neighbors are dumb motherfuckers
>>
>>2017164
Glad you went to the doctor and all is well.

And yeah, that's really irresponsible that they keep letting the kitten get out.

If you catch it again, I would warn your neighbors that the next time it happens, you will take it to the shelter because you're concerned for its safety (re:your dogs.) Hopefully that will convince them to keep track of the kitten better. If not, you can either take it to the shelter or keep it yourself. It's a cute little kitten.
>>
Bad Circumcision thread?
>>
cat botched your circumcision and you're going to die of rabies
>>
>>2016305
Are you fucking kidding me? I got bitten by a dog that had been attacked by a possibly-rabid raccoon, and had to get rabies treatment. It was one shot, in the ass, and one booster two weeks later. Both of them were outpatient procedures.
>>
>>2017703
From the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/

Rabies postexposure vaccinations consists of a dose of human rabies immune globulin and four doses of rabies vaccine given on the day of the exposure, and then again on days 3, 7, and 14. The vaccine is given in a muscle, usually in the upper arm. This set of vaccinations is highly effective at preventing rabies if given as soon as possible following an exposure.

If a person has previously received postexposure vaccinations or received preexposure vaccinations, only two doses of vaccine (on the day of exposure and then 3 days later) are needed. Human rabies immune globulin is not required. Your doctor and local health department will be able to guide you through the process.

The shots are given in the deltoid muscle and most of the time people get the series of 4 shots and the HRIG because most people are not baccinated for pre exposure to rabies unless they are working at a zoo or with animals in general.
>>
>>2017768
*Vaccinated
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.