[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of getting a dog in a country where you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: Rottweiler-Head.jpg (53 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Rottweiler-Head.jpg
53 KB, 800x533
What's the point of getting a dog in a country where you aren't allowed to train it to protect you?
>>
>>2011668
To have a companion?
>>
>>2011674
And what happens when I get killed by an intruder? It'll eat me then die when he's out of human to eat.
>>
>>2011679
It might if no one comes to investigate.
>>
>>2011679
get a gun

or don't live in some kind of shithole where things like that can happen to you
>>
Smh desu senpai ur dog should protect u automatically.
>>
What bumfuck country prohibits you from teaching a dog to protect you?
>>
File: Feelsgood.jpg (28 KB, 330x357) Image search: [Google]
Feelsgood.jpg
28 KB, 330x357
You could have sex with it.
>>
>>2011776
Canada.
>>
>>2011781
Hello Denmark, how are things?
>>
how do they even check that you haven't trained your dog to protect?
>>
>>2011776
quite a few European countries. you know, the same ones that banned tasers, pepper spray and guns.

>>2011794
Well if you train it to protect I assume it is more aggressive and less friendly, right? Either way, if it bites someone, it's pretty much dead.
>>
>>2011832
>Well if you train it to protect I assume it is more aggressive and less friendly, right?
Not necessarily
>>
>>2011668
The point is for you to protect it.
>ITT: people who own dogs for protection
>>
>>2011832
So people need protection from that aggressive dog that you "trained" and can't control. Just what we need, more problems and violence.
>>
>>2011794
I am almost certain that in the UK if your dog attacks someone trying to rob/assault/rape/dismember you the dog will be put down and you will be fined and/or imprisoned.
But really this thread belongs on /pol/.
>>
>>2011947
what a shit country
>>
>>2011932
I didn't train a dog.

>>2011907
Dogs can have more than one purpose. People used dogs for protection before and today. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>2011947

The Dangerous Dog Act has specific exemptions for if your dog is attacking an intruder or similar. Schutzhund and similar protection training is also completely legal.
>>
>>2012076
Nothing wrong per se, but the idea of using a companion animal as a weapon tends to attract a certain, shall we say, "demographic". You can't really do it without becoming the sort of person who owns a dog for protection.
>ITT: the same folks who cut off ears and tails
>>
>>2012082
wow, so much bullshit in one post
>>
>>2012076

> People used dogs for protection before and today. What's wrong with it?

The problem is, most people confuse "protective" with "aggressive."

Certain breeds are prone to being watchful, suspicious of strangers, and brave (eg, not afraid to fight) but those are natural behaviors and the owner needs to train the dog not to become overly sensitive and suspicious. The dog needs to be able to tell the difference between the UPS guy and a murderer.

I have a 7 yo rottweiler mix who has his CGC certificate, does rally obedience with me, and is overall great with strangers. Then again, most of the people I'm around aren't trying to hurt me. However, we were out for a run a couple weeks ago when he abruptly halted and started growing loudly at a parked car. Then the dude who was crouching behind it got up and ran off. I'm so fucking lucky to have an awesome dogbro that I can take anywhere and trust he's got my back. If you want to protect your house, put bars on your windows. Build a wall. Learn a martial art. Don't ruin a dog by letting it become an aggressive shithead.
>>
>>2012105
what if the ups guy is a murderer
>>
>>2012096
it's not bullshit, considering most of the people who do it still these days do it because the breed is "meant to be intimidating"
>>
>>2011668
Why get a dog for protection when you can have a gun?
>>
>>2012120
Implying it can be tied to a certain demographic
>>
>>2012120
Illegal to own a gun for self defense. It is not illegal to own a dog. It is not legal to train it for protection, but if >>2012076 is right it might at least be allowed to help me against an intruder, if it is smart enough to attack my attacker without training.

>>2012105
I'm sure someone that trains that would be able to know the difference, but I won't be able to do it anyway.
>>
File: seefunney.jpg (37 KB, 299x449) Image search: [Google]
seefunney.jpg
37 KB, 299x449
>>2012096
>the people who [X] are people who [X]
>docked tails and cropped ears are part of the standard for many guarding breeds
It was kind of a snarky tone, but where's the bullshit in that one post?
>>
>>2012344
There were at least 4 statements in the post, which in some cases might be true, but can't be projected to any of the groups used in the post. There is no definitive 'demographics' that the poster talks about either, thus it is bullshit.
>>
>>2011832
Nah. Buddy had a border collie he raised. Trained it for protection as an adult. Spartacus was chill as fuck until someone balled up a fist or yelled angrily. Then he was fucking scary.
>>
>>2012109
This. If you love your dog, show it compassion and build a strong bond with it, it will protect you. Much like you'd protect anything you love. A dog doesn't have to be specifically trained to go for a person to be able to ward off an attacker. I have an aus cattle dog and even though he is a plumb barrel sausage, he would be fucking intimidating and be able to help me fight a cunt.
>>
>>2012785
I don't think it's mainly because of this bond or love; it's more due to the territorial aggression which is in the genetics of many dogs.
They just defend whats theirs.
I had a gsd/setter mix as a child which didn't respect me much and fe refused to go anywhere it didn't want to go. but it always protected me against every suspicious looking human or dog.
I think i rather belonged to it than the other way around.
>>
>>2012785
i assume you haven't seen many real situations.
you wouldn't imagine how many dogs get their tails under their legs and fail to do any protection at all.

>>2012806
not many dog has built in territorial aggression (mainly sheperds from the east), in most of the cases the prey drive of the protection dog is used.
At least for schutzhund/IPO, they actually attack the sleeve, not even the person. I don't know much about civil dogs though, but i guess they would have a different kind of training, as they do want to do harm
>>
>>2011682
sure, America

guns solve everything for you guys don't they
>>
>>2013797
When tyrone enter's my house in the dead of night to steal my tv, yeah it does
>>
There's a difference between a guard dog and a watch dog.
Just because a dog won't attack the intruder, doesn't mean it can't have its usefulness by barking like hell and waking everyone up to possible danger in the home.
>>
>>2013801
when tyrone doesn't enter my house because he sees my guard dogs protecting the house, and chooses not to try, it pretty much takes care of the problem too
>>
>>2013803
tyrone ain't smart enough to case the house before hand
>>
>>2012785
>If you love your dog, show it compassion and build a strong bond with it, it will protect you
Bullshit. You cannot make a blanket statement like that and expect it to be true. I am very attached to my dog, and she is very in tune with me. When a neighbor broke into my home and tried to attack me she fled for her kennel.
>>
>>2011668
Mine doesn't need training, seems to be instinctive for him. I live with my dad and anytime anyone but him comes to the door or knocks he growls / forms an aggressive stance.

He's half lab half Rottie.
>>
>>2013797
What do you have against guns? Isn't your life worth protecting? Anyone burglarizing a house at night is prepared for there being people in that house. A gun is just as much a precaution as a smoke alarm. Not even that guy or American btw.
>>
>>2013815
That's still not a guarantee that in a real situation it won't run away and hide.
>>
>>2013803
Here in Ireland burglars just poison dogs or have a bitch in heat to distract them.
Gun is best line of defense, thankfully the law has been changed to allow your to shoot people threatening you on your property, before that you were suppose to run away or hide.
>>
>>2013815
>comes to the door or knocks he growls / forms an aggressive stance.
Thats not a good thing, at most he/she should bark and re act to the person doing malicious shit. Any dog aggressive off the bat to any stranger is a dangerous thing to have.
I use to have a stranger aggressive territorial dog that would bite and trust me it was hell I would sooner have a dog that invites the burglar in for a cup of tea than that again.
>>
>>2013823
Thats why you are supposed to teach your dogs not to eat any shit they find

Also there are countries where owning a gun is not an option
>>
>>2013826
Luckily I am in an area where only gypsies come around to burglar, everywhere has smarter criminals and gypsies are terrified of dogs.Every house but mine was robbed but I would feel better with the gun.

>Also there are countries where owning a gun is not an option
Not even a hunting rifle or shotgun? Thats all we have in Ireland the EU forced us to change the law allowing us to shoot people breaking in even though liberals flipped their shit. .
>>
>>2013809
>a neighbor broke into my home and tried to attack me
Details?
>>
>>2013833
It's a long story and I only have my phone right now. I'll post it later.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.