[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We recently bought 2 male Betta fish this past Friday. One looks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
We recently bought 2 male Betta fish this past Friday. One looks very sick. It's fins look shredded (just noticed some pieces of fallen off fins on the rocks). It lays on the bottom of the tank, sometimes appearing dead. I've been looking at common Betta fish diseases and it seems to have ick (white grain like spots on its body and head). Does anyone have any advice? Pet store people said once fish get sick they usually don't get any better. They swore by BettaFix and we applied some last night. The ick only appeared today. Should I just humanely put this guy out of its misery or is it worth it to treat it before both of the fish die from the parasite? Pic related
>>
What are your water parameters?
How long has the tank been set up and running?
>>
Warm water, salt dosing, frequent water changes, feeding as often as the fish will eat. Warm water speeds up the life cycle of the ich and increases the amount of free-swimming protozoa which cannot survive in any sort of saline environment.
>>
>>2011183
No, what is the nitrogen level and ph.
You do have a water testing kit, right?
And you know how to use it to balance out your tank, right?

Because that is basic fish care.
>>
>>2011185

I am not OP.
>>
>>2011181
Tank has been set up since late Friday afternoon. Sorry, not sure what water parameters are, but it's a 2 gallon fish tank that comes with a barrier (as shown in the pic) to keep the two fish from killing each other
>>
>>2011185
I don't have a water testing kit. The employee at the pet store tested our water and said it was fine, but our ammonia levels were a bit high. My mom got these two fish for my younger brother and sister, but I've adopted the responsibility of keeping them happy and healthy. I don't have any prior experience with fish care, so I'm new to this.
>>
>>2011183
Can you explain salt dosing?
>>
>>2011179
>We recently bought 2 male Betta fish

I hope you are not keeping them in the same tank. Males are very aggressive against each other. If you are keeping them in the same tank than I am pretty sure that the one betta fucked the other up
>>
Your entire setup is unsuitable for betas. They need at least 5 gallons each. They need a properly set up and aged tank. They need a filter and a heater. And you need to know how to test, read and adjust your water paramaters.

You need to do some homework and start completely over. Those poor fish are going to die anyway because you have no clue what you are doing.
>>
>>2011189
I am on my phone and too lazy to type too much text. You made a wrong decision buying 2 bettas. Even woth this barrier the two fish are seeing each other all the time. Constantly stressed out -> weak immune system -> diseases/death
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.